GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 14:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

My Story from 640 to 730-Work on your weaknesses.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
My Story from 640 to 730-Work on your weaknesses.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Oct 2018, 05:32
Greetings!

If you have landed up on this post after seeing the title, it is highly probable that either your GMAT mock or your recent GMAT attempt landed you somewhere around 640. Don't worry. I have been on the same shoes.....demotivated, frustrated and yet searching for a similar story just to get that ray of hope that it is still possible to crack the test. Yes it is possible! No doubt about it! But what's important is for you to dust yourself off, get back on track and keep the fire alive. :)

Here goes my journey from a 640 to a 730! If I can, you can too :)

My target score- 700/710
Target split- Q49 , V37/38

Attempt-1

Date:21 April 2018
Score:640(Q49, V27, IR7, AWA5)
Preparation time:December 2017 to April 2018 interspersed with times of no practice at all.
Study Materials used:
[*] OG 2017 - both quant and vebal
[*] Manhattan Books- both quant and verbal
[*] Free questions available in Veritas Prep- Verbal
[*]GMAT Prep mock test.
[*] Free mock test from Manhattan and Veritas Prep.
[*]Free Webinars offered by eGMAT - both quant and verbal
[*] Free eGMAT Quant Workshop
[*] AWA- picked up a standard template from GMAT Forum and stuck to it. Practiced 3 to 4 essays from OG and timed the essays.
Approach:
[*] After having completed OG and Manhattan, I realized that my quant is good enough, but that I will need to put in a lot of effort for verbal. So after a point I started concentrating on verbal alone.
[*] The target was to reach the answer somehow. The method of approach didn't matter to me, may it be quant or verbal.
[*] No particular strategy to solve questions.
[*] While covering the modules in OG and Manhattan, I prepared notes for myself, which I referred to on the night before the exam.
The Exam:
[*] Order of attempt: Quant, Verbal, AWA, IR.
[*] I was pretty stressed out, especially for Verbal.
[*] Felt quant to be a bit hard, but was happy about it since that indicated that I was doing well
[*] Verbal turned out to be a mess. In a hurry to finish the sections, I wasn't able to read the questions properly. Blindly attempted 2 to 3 questions in a row without even reading the questions. One of the RCs was so hard that I couldn't make out head or tail of it. There goes 4 questions down the drain!!!
[*] IR and AWA were decent.
What went well in this journey:
[*] Came to know the general pattern, my strengths and weaknesses.
[*] An experience of eGMAT through their free webinar.
[*] Got a clear picture of where I stood.
[*] Got a feel of what GMAT feels like.
[*] I had given my mock tests on glazed writing pad. This helped me get the feel of writing on it and I did not face the problem of getting accustomed to the writing pad during the actual test.

Attempt-2

Date:14 July 2018
Score:670(Q49, V33, IR5, AWA4.5)
Preparation time:April 2018 to July 2018 interspersed with times of no practice at all.
What I realized from my previous attempt:
[*] I purchased the ESR for my previous attempt and thoroughly analyzed it. It gave me a clear picture of my poor time management, my consecutive mistakes and how poor I was at Verbal, RC in specific.
[*]Time management is very very important.
[*]I need to put in a lot more effort in Verbal.
[*] I'm pretty good at quant. But if push a little further, I might be able to touch 50.
What I did differently from my previous attempt:
[*] Enrolled for eGMAT Verbal Live Prep.
[*] More organized study- thanks to eGMAT. Their 3 step process worked like a charm! :)
[*] The goal was to follow the right approach to arrive at the answer.
[*] If I got a question wrong, I made sure I understand why I got it wrong, what made me choose the incorrect option, what makes the correct option right and why is it different from the answer I chose(This becomes tricky when the answers are very closely worded in verbal.)
[*] While covering the modules in eGMAT, I prepared notes for myself, which I referred to on the night before the exam.
[*] Spoke to few of my friends who has cracked GMAT previously, listened to their approaches and took in what were applicable to me(This is very crucial! What works for one may not work for the other!)
[*] Read many debriefs on this forum to keep up my energy level. If they can crack it, I can too! :)
Study Materials used:
[*] Quant- 700 to 800 level questions in Quant from Manhattan
[*] Verbal- All the resources provided my eGMAT. I took up the Live Prep in particular in order for me to be on track. I made sure that I attended all the webinars live and not watch the recordings. This motivated me to finish the modules on time. Also, the live sessions helped me to know where I stood compared to others and also helped me solve questions in the timed environment.
[*] The forum where students discussed their doubts in eGMAT was really helpful. It often gave me a new perspective on how to approach questions.
[*]eGMAT Verbal Live Workshop
[*] 2 free online mocks followed by detailed analysis.
The Exam:
[*] During the exam, I split each section into quarters and allocated time within which each quarter had to be completed.
[*] Followed the same order as that of last time
[*] I felt quant to be easier than last time. (Got a bit worried by the end of it because I felt the questions were really simple :/)
[*] Ran out of time in verbal, especially towards the end. Had to skip 2 questions in between. Attempted SC and CR using the eGMAT approach.
[*] Still worried and tensed, especially during Verbal.
What went well in this journey:
[*] Got hold of a clear and concrete approach for Verbal.
[*] A good hand at the eGMAT approach in SC and CR.
[*] After the analysis of my ESR for this attempt, I realized that my SC and CR had improved a lot while I had to still catch up on my RC.
[*]More confidence.

Attempt-3

Date:26 August 2018
Score 730(Q50, V40, IR7, AWA4)
Preparation time:July 2018 to August 2018 interspersed with times of no practice at all.
What I realized from my previous attempt:
[*] RC is my weak point since my comprehension ability was very poor. So I decided to concentrate more on improving my RC.
What I did differently from my previous attempt:
[*] Read many articles in The Economist and tried to apply the eGMAT approach on it. I did not take notes while doing RC because I felt it to be too time consuming. But I made mental notes as I read the passage. At the end of a passage, I made a mental summary of it and wrote a one line on it.
Study Materials used:
[*] The Economist
[*]Verbal- Few questions from eGMAT
[*] Quant-Few questions from Manhattan
[*]AWA- 3 essays from OG
[*]IR- eGMAT resources
What went well:
[*] Unlike my state in the previous two attempts, I was more relaxed and calm
[*] Time management wasn't an issue this time. I finished the sections with 2 to 3 minutes to spare.
[*] Verbal was better this time. All the RCs went well and the topics were also relatable.

It has been a long journey filled with a lot of ups and downs. Moments of frustration, loss of hope, tendency to give up.....everything. But the journey has taught me that if your efforts are sincere and you are determined to reach there, you will :)

May you never loose the fire in you :)
Keep going!
Cheers :)

Originally posted by anjueje on 25 Oct 2018, 00:30.
Last edited by anjueje on 28 Oct 2018, 05:32, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: My Story from 640 to 730-Work on your weaknesses.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 00:42
Hi! congratulations for reaching the 700 plus club! Your story is really inspiring, Goodluck for your applications. Well, If you have the ESR of your latest attempt, can you please share? That'll be helpful for me in figuring out a good strategy as i have my attempt coming up soon.

Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 00:34
Congrats anjueje on getting the GMAT out of your way :)

From your debrief, it is clear that time management is paramount to radically improve
the score! Do you have any tips? All the best for the application phase. Wish you get
into your first choice school.

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 18:32
Hi there,
I also did the 1st attempt at 610 and cancelled it, and now I am preparing for 2nd. But honestly I’m still nervous, not confident and afraid that I’ll end up with this low score again
Thank you a lot for sharing this amazing journey! It gave us more strength to go with the fight :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 05:07
pushpitkc wrote:
Congrats on getting the GMAT out of your way :)

From your debrief, it is clear that time management is paramount to radically improve
the score! Do you have any tips? All the best for the application phase. Wish you get
into your first choice school.

Thank you.

I shall share what worked for me.
Divide each section into quarters... for example, Verbal has 36 questions and 65 minutes. That means each quarter will have 9 questions to be completed in 16 minutes. So after each set of 9 questions, keep a check on your time.
After 9 questions, you should have 49 minutes to spare
After 18 questions, you should have 33 minutes to spare
After 27 questions, you should have 17 minutes to spare
After 36 questions, you should have 1 minutes to spare
In case you see that you are running short of time drastically at the end of a particular quarter, make a guess on your next question and try to get back on track. As you might already know, unattempted questions at the end will have a huge penality. Also, if you don't get back on track now, it might lead you to guess many questions in a row at the very end, again leading to a drastic score drop.

I would suggest you to try this approach while giving a Mock to get a hang of it.
A similar approach can be applied to Quant as well.

Regards and best wishes.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 05:15
Gmat2018hcm wrote:
Hi there,
I also did the 1st attempt at 610 and cancelled it, and now I am preparing for 2nd. But honestly I’m still nervous, not confident and afraid that I’ll end up with this low score again
Thank you a lot for sharing this amazing journey! It gave us more strength to go with the fight :)

Posted from my mobile device

Hey there!

Don't worry. :)
Differentiate your strengths and weaknesses and work towards bridging the gap.
Try to recollect questions from your first attempt, what sections they fell under and where you had got stuck. Try to get hold of similar questions and familiarize yourself with the concept/approach.
Like I said, It's important to not lose hope.

I'm sure you'll be writing your debrief on this forum soon :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 12:44
Congratulations on the amazing score and thank you for the detailed debrief.

Especially the tips and details for your attempts are quite helpful.

All the best for the applications,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Story from 640 to 730-Work on your weaknesses. &nbs [#permalink] 28 Oct 2018, 12:44

My Story from 640 to 730-Work on your weaknesses.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap