Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 4
Send PM
Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]
Hi Experts,
Although I have got this question right, by simply using a process of elimination, I still don't understand the correct answer choice. From my perspective:

A- is irrelevant, since I have been given that HDL is good, and I have to find out that whether she needs more of it or not, and A doesn't provide any info that will allow me to get to the answer
r
B- I can't understand it, but sure I will keep it 'till the end

C-more info about HDL - is irrelevant, I need to know whether its necessary

D- it is as C, irrelevant. The question is about HDL levels, not how good is a plant-based food and its benefits

E- Same as the last two answer choices, there can be a million foods that have good cholesterol, the question is whether it is necessary

My analysis is pretty vague, I believe, but I still can't understand the answer choice B, how it related.
Please help.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]
Mrozhko wrote:
Hi Experts,
Although I have got this question right, by simply using a process of elimination, I still don't understand the correct answer choice. From my perspective:

A- is irrelevant, since I have been given that HDL is good, and I have to find out that whether she needs more of it or not, and A doesn't provide any info that will allow me to get to the answer
r
B- I can't understand it, but sure I will keep it 'till the end

C-more info about HDL - is irrelevant, I need to know whether its necessary

D- it is as C, irrelevant. The question is about HDL levels, not how good is a plant-based food and its benefits

E- Same as the last two answer choices, there can be a million foods that have good cholesterol, the question is whether it is necessary

My analysis is pretty vague, I believe, but I still can't understand the answer choice B, how it related.
Please help.

B directly impacts the argument.
Let's read it closely
B. The benefit of HDL is strictly due to its effect on LDL levels
It says HDL will have benefits . How ? Due to its effects on LDL level. It means if LDL level is not favorourbale then even you have HDL it would have no value. If effect of LDL level is good then HDL adds benefits on top .
In summary:
If LDL level < not in optimal range then eating HDL has no benefits
If LDL level = optimal level then HDL has benefits

Which of the following, if true, should be most significant for Nandipa in determining whether to add such foods to her diet ?
For B:
YES: Nandipa has already LDL in optimal range, so adding HDL food may not be required .
NO: It would increase HDL level then it may add value on high blood level, so adding HDL fruits should be required

Is it clear?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]
B] say that, The benefit of HDL is stricly due to HDL's effect on LDL levels

I dont know whether the effect is good or bad. How do I draw inferences from this option?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
B] say that, The benefit of HDL is strictly due to HDL's effect on LDL levels

I don't know whether the effect is good or bad.

From Webster's dictionary:
benefit = something that produces good effects
Since B refers to the BENEFIT of HDL, its effect on LDL levels must be GOOD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Hi GMATGuruNY

How does the choice below helps to explain that more or less HDL is needed for the body to maintain less levels of LDL?

GMATGuruNY wrote:
himanshu0123 wrote:

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY

How does the choice below helps to explain that more or less HDL is needed for the body to maintain less levels of LDL?

GMATGuruNY wrote:
himanshu0123 wrote:

At its core, this is a PLANNING argument.

Plan: To consume foods such as chicken or fish that would increase the blood level of HDL.
Goal: To maintain heart health.

According to the passage, Nandipa's LDL level is already within the range considered optimal for heart heath.
OPTIMAL for heart health = at the BEST level for heart health

According to B, HDL has only ONE benefit: its effect on LDL levels.
Thus, Nandipa has no reason to increase her HDL, since her LDL is ALREADY at the BEST level for heart health.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 2385
GMAT 1: 460 Q28 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
GMAT 4: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 5: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Quote:
B. The benefit of HDL is strictly due to its effect on LDL levels

Breaking down option B:

HDL's benefits are strictly caused by HDL's effect on LDL levels

HDL's effect on LDL levels strictly causes HDL's benefits
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]
Understanding the argument -
Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant-based diet and has successfully maintained her blood level of LDL, ''bad'' cholesterol at well within the range considered optimal for heart health. Fact
But she is worried that her blood of HDL, ''good'' cholesterol, is lower than is often considered optimal for heart health, and has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance. - Premise and conclusion.

The question stem asks us to determine what should be most significant for Nandipa in determining whether to add such foods to her diet.
What makes her decide whether to add fish or chicken to her diet to raise HDLs or not?

Option Elimination-

A. HDL can help to protect against the accumulation of plagues (fatty deposits) in the arteries - It's good to know. But firstly, LDLs are already in the range, and secondly, HDLs are good, and we know it. Moreover, she has already considered adding it, and this shares the positives. What we need is if something could make her drop the new diet plan.
B. The benefit of HDL is strictly due to its effect on LDL levels - oh, ok. We know HDLs are good. This explains that they are good only because of their effect on LDLs, but we know her LDLs are already low. So why change her diet? So this option tries to say, you know fish is good, increases HDLs, and HDLs are good, but by the way, HDLs only affect LDLs, and your LDLs are already low. This can make her change her decision.
C. The body produces all of the LDL it needs; so it is unnecessary to consume food containing this form of cholesterol - We are concerned about HDLs here. Distortion.
D. Plant-based diets reduce the sum of both ''good'' and ''bad'' cholesterol - We are concerned about chicken and fish and weather to take it or now. Distortion.
E. There are other good besides chicken or fish that can increase the level of good cholesterol - other sources are out of scope.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts