It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2015
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 96 [2], given: 13

Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 01:45
2
This post received
KUDOS
23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:02) correct 40% (01:14) wrong based on 704 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant-based diet and has successfully maintained her blood level of LDL, ''bad'' cholesterol at well within the range considered optimal for heart health. But She is worried that her blood of HDL, ''good'' cholesterol, is lower than is often considered optimal for heart health, and has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance.

Which of the following, if true , should be most significant for Nandipa in determining whether to add such foods to her diet ?

A. HDL can help to protect against the accumulation of plagues (fatty deposits) in the arteries
B. The benefit of HDL is stricly due to its effect on LDL levels
C. The body produces all of the LDL it needs; so it is unnecessary to consume food containing this form of cholesterol
D. Plant-based diets reduce the sum of both ''good'' and ''bad'' cholesterol
E. There are other good besides chicken or fish that can increase the level of good cholesterol

Got this wrong during mock, anyone could share how you tackle this one ...
greatly appreciated !

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My breakdown of the argument

P1: N keeps good heart health --> follows P/B diet
P2: suc keep low LDL -bad ctsl
P3: HDL good ctsl lower than optimal
P4: considering adding foods like ckc or fish to diet

A - out of scope
B -
C- out of scope
D-
E - out of scope

After POE marked D ......
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 96 [2], given: 13

5 KUDOS received
SC Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1507

Kudos [?]: 1226 [5], given: 895

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 02:12
5
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Premise: Nand has maintained a plant based diet --> Level of LDL is normal. But level of HDL, good cholesterol is lower than optimal.

Conclusion: Nand has decided to consume foods that would increase the level of HDL.

We are asked to evaluate whether the foods that she has decided to consume is beneficial and does not increase LDL levels.

A. HDL can help to protect against the accumulation of plagues (fatty deposits) in the arteries - Incorrect - Irrelevant. We already know that HDL is good cholesterol. So HDL has some beneficial properties. Moreover we are not worried about the beneficial effects of HDL on the heart.

B. The benefit of HDL is stricly due to its effect on LDL levels - Correct - It can be interpreted from this option that HDL levels govern LDL levels. So if the foods used to increase HDL levels keeps LDL in check then it is recommended to consume such foods, otherwise, such foods are not recommended to be consumed.

C. The body produces all of the LDL it needs; so it is unnecessary to consume food containing this form of cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant

D. Plant-based diets reduce the sum of both ''good'' and ''bad'' cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant. Focus is on consumption of foods which can improve HDL levels, not on plant based diets.

E. There are other good besides chicken or fish that can increase the level of good cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant

Answer: B

Kudos [?]: 1226 [5], given: 895

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: 2 months to go
Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 135

Kudos [?]: 163 [2], given: 36

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 02:49
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant-based diet and has successfully maintained her blood level of LDL, ''bad'' cholesterol at well within the range considered optimal for heart health. But She is worried that her blood of HDL, ''good'' cholesterol, is lower than is often considered optimal for heart health, and has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance.


Which of the following, if true , should be most significant for Nandipa in determining whether to add such foods to her diet ?

Ok, let’s analyze it thoroughly.
Objective, healthy heart. P1: Following a plant-based diet she has great levels of Bad Cholesterol, but probably low levels of Good Cholesterol.
The question is, should she increase the levels of good cholesterol?

A. “Whether” HDL can help to protect against the accumulation of plagues (fatty deposits) in the arteries.
Irrelevant, we know HDL, is good we are simply asking ourselves whether she should rise it, not its effects.
B. “Whether” the benefit of HDL is strictly due to its effect on LDL levels
That’s probably it. We were asking ourselves: does she have to increase her levels of good cholesterol? This statement would help to understand whether her good levels of Bad Cholesterol are linked to the low levels of Good Cholesterol or not. If they are, there’s no reason to increase the good cholesterol since it’d likely increase the Bad Cholesterol as well, if they aren’t linked on the contrary she could eat whatever she likes to increase it.
C. “Whether” the body produces all of the LDL it needs; so it is unnecessary to consume food containing this form of cholesterol
This doesn’t answer any of our questions, if it is true we don’t understand why the levels are lower than the normal level, and in case it isn’t true, we don’t have any new information on whether she should eat those foods.
D. Plant-based diets reduce the sum of both ''good'' and ''bad'' cholesterol
Irrelevant. We are talking about whether to try and rise the levels of Good Cholesterol.
E. There are other good besides chicken or fish that can increase the level of good cholesterol
Super out of scope, who cares if nuts can increase cholesterol, we first have to understand whether she needs to!

Answer B.

Kudos [?]: 163 [2], given: 36

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 86

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 07:50
Correct answer is B

Reasoning - if the only benefit of HDL is its effect on LDL levels, Nandipa doesn't have to do anything, since LDL level are already in the required range.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 53

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 335

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 103

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 08:17
The other options are soo absurd when considered in context of the Argument, that Option B kinda stands out as the only meaningful option which works. So POE is also a strong alternative to consider while solving the question. I used the same on my mock as I was running short of time and this was 37th Question in my verbal section.
_________________

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 103

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 592

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 140

Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 20:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Vyshak wrote:
Premise: Nand has maintained a plant based diet --> Level of LDL is normal. But level of HDL, good cholesterol is lower than optimal.

Conclusion: Nand has decided to consume foods that would increase the level of HDL.

We are asked to evaluate whether the foods that she has decided to consume is beneficial and does not increase LDL levels.

A. HDL can help to protect against the accumulation of plagues (fatty deposits) in the arteries - Incorrect - Irrelevant. We already know that HDL is good cholesterol. So HDL has some beneficial properties. Moreover we are not worried about the beneficial effects of HDL on the heart.

B. The benefit of HDL is stricly due to its effect on LDL levels - Correct - It can be interpreted from this option that HDL levels govern LDL levels. So if the foods used to increase HDL levels keeps LDL in check then it is recommended to consume such foods, otherwise, such foods are not recommended to be consumed.

C. The body produces all of the LDL it needs; so it is unnecessary to consume food containing this form of cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant

D. Plant-based diets reduce the sum of both ''good'' and ''bad'' cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant. Focus is on consumption of foods which can improve HDL levels, not on plant based diets.

E. There are other good besides chicken or fish that can increase the level of good cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant

Answer: B



Want to discuss the reasoning for option B. According to the stem, we need to determine if such foods as chicken/fish is to be added to her diet to increase the HDL. As per option B, HDL's benefit is strictly due to its effect on LDL levels. Since her LDL levels are already within the range, addition of HDL won't be largely beneficial to her. For good health of the heart, her levels are already in place so addition of such foods won't be a huge factor.

As per your reasoning, she can go ahead and add such foods to her diet.

Wanted to know the flaw in my reasoning.

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 140

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: active
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 167

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 02:39
Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant-based diet and has successfully maintained her blood level of LDL, ''bad'' cholesterol at well within the range considered optimal for heart health. But She is worried that her blood of HDL, ''good'' cholesterol, is lower than is often considered optimal for heart health, and has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance.

Which of the following, if true , should be most significant for Nandipa in determining whether to add such foods to her diet ?

A. HDL can help to protect against the accumulation of plagues (fatty deposits) in the arteries
B. The benefit of HDL is stricly due to its effect on LDL levels
C. The body produces all of the LDL it needs; so it is unnecessary to consume food containing this form of cholesterol
D. Plant-based diets reduce the sum of both ''good'' and ''bad'' cholesterol
E. There are other good besides chicken or fish that can increase the level of good cholesterol


In order to evaluate the argument
In choice A it is not useful to know whether HDL can help to protect against palgues
In option B
If answer is yes then that means there is already low levels of LDL in blood there is no advantage in this case for HDL
If answer is no then that means that we need to consume the food rich in HDL .

Answer is B

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2016
Posts: 141

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 18:39
Hi Experts,

I have a basic question on handling "evaluate" type of arguments such as this one.

Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant-based diet and has successfully maintained her blood level of LDL, ''bad'' cholesterol at well within the range considered optimal for heart health. But She is worried that her blood of HDL, ''good'' cholesterol, is lower than is often considered optimal for heart health, and has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance.

Here the conclusion is: has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance.

However, the question stem mentions:
Which of the following, if true , should be most significant for Nandipa in determining whether to add such foods to her diet ?

Note that the statement in question stem is more generic (in general would adding such foods to her diet would help her maintain her heart health - her objective) than the conclusion (focuses on only HDL increase).

While, solving these questions, should we make the above distinction or just stay close to the question stem and forget the conclusion?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 169

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 05:16
warriorguy wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
Premise: Nand has maintained a plant based diet --> Level of LDL is normal. But level of HDL, good cholesterol is lower than optimal.

Conclusion: Nand has decided to consume foods that would increase the level of HDL.

We are asked to evaluate whether the foods that she has decided to consume is beneficial and does not increase LDL levels.

A. HDL can help to protect against the accumulation of plagues (fatty deposits) in the arteries - Incorrect - Irrelevant. We already know that HDL is good cholesterol. So HDL has some beneficial properties. Moreover we are not worried about the beneficial effects of HDL on the heart.

B. The benefit of HDL is stricly due to its effect on LDL levels - Correct - It can be interpreted from this option that HDL levels govern LDL levels. So if the foods used to increase HDL levels keeps LDL in check then it is recommended to consume such foods, otherwise, such foods are not recommended to be consumed.

C. The body produces all of the LDL it needs; so it is unnecessary to consume food containing this form of cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant

D. Plant-based diets reduce the sum of both ''good'' and ''bad'' cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant. Focus is on consumption of foods which can improve HDL levels, not on plant based diets.

E. There are other good besides chicken or fish that can increase the level of good cholesterol - Incorrect - Irrelevant

Answer: B



Want to discuss the reasoning for option B. According to the stem, we need to determine if such foods as chicken/fish is to be added to her diet to increase the HDL. As per option B, HDL's benefit is strictly due to its effect on LDL levels. Since her LDL levels are already within the range, addition of HDL won't be largely beneficial to her. For good health of the heart, her levels are already in place so addition of such foods won't be a huge factor.

As per your reasoning, she can go ahead and add such foods to her diet.

Wanted to know the flaw in my reasoning.


Hi warriorguy,

The flaw in your thinking is that she doesn't want to eat those foods. She would have consumed them to get her HDL higher, but if she doesn't have to then she won't. She is healthy, and therefore will stick to her plant-based diet.

Does this help?
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 169

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 05:20
sevenplusplus wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have a basic question on handling "evaluate" type of arguments such as this one.

Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant-based diet and has successfully maintained her blood level of LDL, ''bad'' cholesterol at well within the range considered optimal for heart health. But She is worried that her blood of HDL, ''good'' cholesterol, is lower than is often considered optimal for heart health, and has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance.

Here the conclusion is: has thus considered consuming foods such as chicken or fish that would increase her blood level of this beneficial substance.

However, the question stem mentions:
Which of the following, if true , should be most significant for Nandipa in determining whether to add such foods to her diet ?

Note that the statement in question stem is more generic (in general would adding such foods to her diet would help her maintain her heart health - her objective) than the conclusion (focuses on only HDL increase).

While, solving these questions, should we make the above distinction or just stay close to the question stem and forget the conclusion?


Hi sevenplusplus,

NEVER FORGET THE CONCLUSION. NEVER IGNORE THE CONCLUSION. Now that my caps are out of the way, what you have to remember is that the question is based a combination of background info., premises, and conclusions. We want to prove/disprove/qualify/ect. the conclusion. Please do not ignore the conclusion at any point in your studying.

Does this help?
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Re: Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant.   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 05:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Nandipa wishes to maintain her heart health, strictly follows a plant.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.