GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 19:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nanyang MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 22:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog:
The MFE experience by Jackson Gan
I graduated with my Mechanical Engineering Bachelor’s degree from NUS, and worked in Semiconductor Manufacturing Industry for approximately 4 years. I decided to further my study after leaving the school for 4 long years, with the main motivations were for career switching and further development. Particularly I was looking at finance industry. I spent significant amount of brain juice deciding between MBA and MSc Financial Engineering (MFE) programmes from local universities (NTU, NUS, SMU). With my technical engineering background and my affinity for Mathematics, MFE appeared to be a better match. The roadshows and exhibitions were definitely very useful in my view in giving out information about the programmes.

Why NBS? To be honest at the start, I had little to no knowledge and zero comparison between the various local Biz schools. However, I attended multiple roadshows and exhibitions during the decision making process. That was when I gain more information about NBS. The programme staffs and professors were helpful in giving the right advice, i.e. if you have better opportunities on hand, they would point you to those directions instead of hard selling the programme. The pre-programme prep course was another attractive point that is useful for people that have left school for some time.

The highlight of my experience throughout the programme was the rapport and learning opportunities with programme managers, professors and the friendships with a group of awesome individuals. I may have been awarded the “Best MFE Student” that year, but truly I think that award should be changed to “Best MFE Group”, and honour my study and project group. We have programming king, excel queen, meticulous prince, where we leverage each other’s strengths to overcome obstacles after obstacles. The experience in CMU was another awesome adventure that I believe every one of us cherishes.

The experience with career is simple – I got my internship and full time job using the resume designed and reviewed by NBS career office.

Takeaway – school is temporary, learning is never ending. NBS and MFE in particular, has the professors that continue to discuss, share and teach the alumni, 1 year, 2 years or 5 years after you graduated.

For all my juniors, you should be excited when the professors keep telling you the programme is difficult. That shows both the quality of the programme, and your quality the moment you are admitted.

For more info, visit http://www.beyondamasters.com/programme-msc-fe.aspx to learn more about our programme! 
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Hult Prize Regional [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 20:00
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Hult Prize Regional
Article contributed by Jaime Zulueta

Our journey to the Hult Regional Finals began in Singapore in December 2017, at the local qualification round. Out of numerous business entries in Nanyang Technological University, only ten were chosen to present. Luckily, Team PH was among them.

We decided to present a business model specifically for the Philippines where we identified an underserved market in resettlement communities. Resettlement housing is socialized housing provided to the landless and those devastated by natural and man-made calamities. The problem with resettlement communities was that there are limited income opportunities in these areas. We believed that Vertical Bottle Farming was a solution to this problem.

To our surprise, this idea made first runner up in the local round. We were quite happy as our business pitch was not reliant on technology compared to many of the presented ideas. Initially, Team PH thought this was the end of the Hult journey as we assumed only the first place team would go on to the next round. To our amazement, we received an email in January 2018 notifying us of our selection to go to Melbourne in March 2018. As we only had two weeks to confirm, we immediately contacted the Nanyang Business School for financial support. Once we confirmed this, we booked our tickets and sent our confirmation to the Hult Prize Committee.

February was very busy as this was the end of the 2nd semester at NTU. Many of us had internships, exams, and school requirements. However, we found time to work on our business pitch. We contacted Ruo Mei Chua, one of the judges who had shown interest in our group during the local round. She provided us with valuable insights which we gladly took into our presentation.

On the eve of the competition in March, we boarded a nearly 8-hour overnight flight from Changi to Tullamarine. We arrived in Melbourne at 6am, had a quick breakfast at Hungry Jack’s (the Australian Burger King) and immediately headed to the city to begin working on our presentation.

The first day of the competition was filled with talks from previous finalists and participants of the Hult Prize. They shared their experiences during and after their time at the Hult competition. In addition, we had the chance to listen to various entrepreneurs.

The second and last day of Hult was reserved for the various pitches. We were picked to go first which we thought went quite well. Sadly, we did not make it to the next pitch round which included the top 6 pitches. From the 6, one was chosen to go to the incubation stage in July 2018. The winner was a team from North America. They presented a business idea of farming algae to be used in cow feeds which would potentially reduce the methane produced by the cows.

Overall, the competition was a great venue to experience a new city, meet various students from around the world, and listen and share great business ideas. The learning experience cannot be matched compared to attending and sitting in classes. We were able to apply lessons from Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship. This event added to the beauty and learning of the MBA program.

All this would not have been possible without the Hult Prize Committee, and support from Nanyang Business School. As such, a big thank you goes out to these two.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Hult Prize Regional   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2018, 20:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 42 posts ] 

Nanyang MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap