GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nearly a century ago, biologists found that if they separated an inver

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.54
Re: Nearly a century ago, biologists found that if they separated an inver  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 18:43
Explanation of question 3:

the passage states,
"an unfertilized egg contains substances that function as morphogenetic determinants. They are located in the cytoplasm of the egg cell;"
"The substances that Gross studied are maternal messenger RNA’s"
"these particular RNA’s direct, in large part, the synthesis of histones"
It follows that the since the RNA is located in the cytoplasm, the histones are synthesized in the cytoplasm.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly a century ago, biologists found that if they separated an inver  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 21:51
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
All correct except the 3rd one in 20 mins... Need to work with my pacing..... Can anyone please explain the ans of question 3? It seems easy to others, but I have definitely messed up with something.

As per Q3, According to the passage, when biologists believed that the cells in the early embryo were undetermined, they made which of the following mistakes?
(A) They did not attempt to replicate the original experiment of separating an embryo into two parts.
(B) They did not realize that there was a connection between the issue of cell determination and the outcome of the separation experiment.
(C) They assumed that the results of experiments on embryos did not depend on the particular animal species used for such experiments.
(D) They assumed that it was crucial to perform the separation experiment at an early stage in the embryo’s life.
(E) They assumed that different ways of separating an embryo into two parts would be equivalent as far as the fate of the two parts was concerned.

As mentioned in the 1st para, especially these sentence "Later biologists found that the situation was not so simple. It matters in which plane the embryo is cut. If it is cut in a plane different from the one used by the early investigators, it will not form two whole embryos.", the problem is that the biologists use result of a particular case to emphasize generalization for all cases. They did not consider what will happen if the cut is made in a different plane (different ways of separating an embryo.......). That's why (E) is correct.

All other options cannot be inferred from the passage.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 23:51
Can anyone explain question 1?.
Where is it mentioned remotely about the quantity of morphogenetic determinants?
Is the logic this :- an embryo can be separated to form two separate individual embryos and so morpho-determinants are subsequently used for tow embryos instead of one?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 14:58
Quote:
It can be inferred from the passage that the morphogenetic determinants present in the early embryo are
(A) located in the nucleus of the embryo cells
(B) evenly distributed unless the embryo is not developing normally
(C) inactive until the embryo cells become irreversibly committed to their final function
(D) identical to those that were already present in the unfertilized egg
(E) present in larger quantities than is necessary for the development of a single individual

kkrrsshh wrote:
Can anyone explain question 1?.
Where is it mentioned remotely about the quantity of morphogenetic determinants?
Is the logic this :- an embryo can be separated to form two separate individual embryos and so morpho-determinants are subsequently used for tow embryos instead of one?

Yes, that's the correct logic! Although the "substances that function as morphogenetic determinants" are not evenly distributed, when the fertilized egg splits, at least some of the substances will go to each of the two new embryos if both are to "survive and develop as two normal embryos". If an early embryo only contained the exact quantity necessary for development, it would be impossible for the embryo to split and develop as two normal embryos.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 00:28
Hi, can anybody explain me how Maternal Messenger RNA's are considered the morpho determinants?
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 02:14
veepee wrote:
Hi, can anybody explain me how Maternal Messenger RNA's are considered the morpho determinants?

Hi,

Just read the 2nd paragraph and the beginning of the 3rd paragraph, then you're gonna see why

"Studying sea urchins, biologist Paul Gross found that an unfertilized egg contains substances that function as morphogenetic determinants. They are located in the cytoplasm of the egg cell; i.e., in that part of the cell’s protoplasm that lies outside of the nucleus. In the unfertilized egg, the substances are inactive and are not distributed homogeneously. When the egg is fertilized, the substances become active and, presumably, govern the behavior of the genes they interact with. Since the substances are unevenly distributed in the egg, when the fertilized egg divides, the resulting cells are different from the start and so can be qualitatively different in their own gene activity.
The substances that Gross studied are maternal messenger RNA’s—products of certain of the maternal genes"

Hope this helps.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 07:35
GMATNinja,

How are we supposed to determine who the target audience is for this paper? I have never come across a question like this, and I find the answer perplexing. This could have been directed at any audience.

My gripe with the answer E is that we are forced to assume these students are not freshmen with a high school level background.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 07:26
It is taken from this article.
Attachments

Developmental Biology Where Is It Going.pdf [852.59 KiB]
Downloaded 75 times

To download please login or register as a user

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 17:42
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
@ anshunadir

and target audience is like tone of passage. find tone and also check key words like so many scientific terms used here. . the tone is just informing, there are no sides to take at all, nothing to criticize or nothing to support. its just knowledge sharing . some knowledge being given to a person interested in this subject. we are down to B and E. I eliminated B because scientists specializing in subject will be already knowing all this but this looks nice like a lecture to students. just a brief introduction before a lesson on subject. so E. other options are easily eliminated. kindly revert back if u have doubt with any of those ??

why not option D in this case (question 1) ...

Would option D cater to folks who want to learn about "new species" ...this too me sounds like new embroyos
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 13:31
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
@ anshunadir

and target audience is like tone of passage. find tone and also check key words like so many scientific terms used here. . the tone is just informing, there are no sides to take at all, nothing to criticize or nothing to support. its just knowledge sharing . some knowledge being given to a person interested in this subject. we are down to B and E. I eliminated B because scientists specializing in subject will be already knowing all this but this looks nice like a lecture to students. just a brief introduction before a lesson on subject. so E. other options are easily eliminated. kindly revert back if u have doubt with any of those ??

why not option D in this case (question 1) ...

Would option D cater to folks who want to learn about "new species" ...this too me sounds like new embroyos

If you've ever read a published scientific study you'll know that scientist to scientist communication is typically written in a way that is all but incomprehensible to the layman. This passage is clearly educational in nature and the overview of the topic given is overly broad for an audience that would already be familiar with it. If the intended audience were molecular biologists there would be no need to explain what a morphogenetic determinant is for example, because that audience would already know.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 15:02
RonPurewal , GMATNinja could you please advise how to approach such passages. I got only three right even though I read it very carefully.
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 09:15
ravikumarmishra wrote:
RonPurewal , GMATNinja could you please advise how to approach such passages. I got only three right even though I read it very carefully.

ravikumarmishra, if you haven't already, check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners, and try applying those concepts to this passage (i.e. reading for structure and purpose).

If you have any specific questions, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

Good luck!
B
Schools: Haas EWMBA '23
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 03:21
VeritasPrepKarishma,
Could you please explain Q6 and the choices.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q40 V35
GMAT 3: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 09:00
Anyone else find this passage very difficult? Where can I find explanations to all the questions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 11:41
I got 4(Q-1,2,5,6) wrong and the worst thing about that is that it took me 23 min.

Q1 - Took POE approach. Thought that B is the answer believing that it is an article may have been published in Science journal. Straight forward eliminating A and D, can't ne alumni because then Paul Gross must have been mentioned in the first paragraph itself. Coming down to B and E, i eliminated the later overthinking that undergraduate course can't have such debate with historical significance mention(Forgive me for my non-medical background).

Q2 - Here again POE approach. Few i rejected based on key words in the five points. B & D eliminated based on 'evenly' and 'identical' keywords respecively. Option-A was wrong because of wrong location issue. Option-E i rejected thinking(overthinking) that 'MD quantities' is nowhere mentioned ATLEAST for single individual. Had it been Two individuals i might have stopped and paid more attention to this one. Lastly, chose C for that i could find 'inactivity' and 'irreversibly committed' in the passage. I thought MD is inactive and becomes irreversibly committed which is right but overseeing that that Option-C talks about embryo cells becoming irreversibly committed instead.

Q5 - C & E can't be established through passage hence eliminated. Then rejected D and just chose B with a hunch that that the choice is wrong after several readings(which were of no help though). Had a hunch that A is correct as mentioned in Para-3.

Q6 - Eliminated C & E straight. After that chose D overseeing and mismatching the facts. But since about this Q i had no idea i didn't pay much attention and went with C.

Have been following QOTDs regularly but not posting my responses. The reason being that i get on an average 5-6 right out of 7,8 & 9 Q's and there has been no improvement either i spend 16 minutes for 8-9 Q's or 23-24 minutes. For the previous QOTD i got 6 correct out of 8 in 21 minutes and 5 out of 7 right for before that.

PS: My RC and CR are weakest, SC-can say a little improved, trying to improve my verbal overall.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 15:49
Hi,

RonPurewal , GMATNinja

Could somebody please let me know the source of the passage ? Is it from one of the Tests of Manhattan/Veritas/E-Gmat/Kaplan etc ?

Regards
Re: Nearly a century ago, biologists found that if they separated an inver   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2019, 15:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Nearly a century ago, biologists found that if they separated an inver

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics