GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice in verbal prep - Is E-GMAT verbal online course worth it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Need advice in verbal prep - Is E-GMAT verbal online course worth it? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 13:33
Hi All,

I have taken the GMAT last week and got an abysmal score of 640(Q48,V28). This was the same score(640-Q44,V34) I received when I have taken my first GMATPrep test before I even started my preparation. I simply cannot understand where I have gone wrong in my preparation.

Below are my Mock Test scores:

Veritas Free Test - 590(Q43,V28) (2 weeks into preparation)
MGMAT CAT1 - 590(Q42,V31)
MGAMT CAT2 - 630(Q44,V35)
MGAMT CAT3 - 590(Q39,V32)
MGMAT CAT4 - 670(Q45,V36)
MGMAT CAT5 - 630(Q44,V32)

GMATPrep scores:
GMAT Prep1 - 640(Q44,V34) (In july, before even starting my preparation)
GMAT Prep1 - 680(Q49,V34)(October 7th)
GMAT Prep2 - 680(Q49,V34)(October 17th)

** All the above test were taken under exact test conditions.

Though I could not understand the inconsistency in my MGMAT scores, towards the end of my preparation when I scored exactly 680 twice in the GMATPrep(I don't think they are inflated scores as I did not come across any repeated questions at all) I thought I must be scoring pretty close to the 680 score but I was appalled by the 640 I received.

What I definitely can tell is that I felt too stressed out and burnt by the time I reached verbal. I was so exhausted that I did not have the patience to even read my first RC passage. I tried to read the first few sentences of the passage again and again but my brain was just unable to process what it was seeing and reading for a lot of time which made me frustrated and randomly guess and move out of the discomfort that my brain was facing. The rest of the test just went by in a daze craving for the exam to end(but ofcourse with a good score :D ) I know this had a huge impact on my verbal score but what I am unable to understand is that this type of burning out never happenned during any of my mock tests. In my GMATPrep tests, my accuracy rate was very high but I faced very gross timing issues which made me end with a V34 all the three times.

I would like to re-take the test in another 40-45 days. I already started reading the GMATCLUB fiction to try to improve my overall concentration so as to be able to avoid the burn out issues I faced during the exam. I also want to improve my verbal score now. I almost exhausted all the material out there in the market and I have no clue about what my next course of action should be. I have exhausted the OG15, OG Verbal review, MGMAT material(for SC and RC), Veritas material, Powerscore CR, kaplan 800 verbal and MGMAT test series and GMATPrep software.

I think the only material that I haven't used so far is the E-GMAT verbal online course. I hear that E-GMAT verbal online is very good, especially for non-native speakers. But I am very skeptical about pouring in any more money(as much as 200$ again) into this. Could someone tell me if we can complete the Verbal Online course in the 40 days that I have now(I will be able to spend approx. 5 hours for the preparation each day, including the 2 hours travelling to and from work)? Will the E-GMAT verbal online course be able to help in anyway to improve my score from V28 to V40 in this short period of time?

If not E-GMAT verbal online, could someone let me know what other sources I can try to look up for. Any help on this will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Akirah.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Need advice in verbal prep - Is E-GMAT verbal online course worth it? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 18:40
HI Akirah.,

First off, for anyone who wants to know more about the overall lead-up to this post, here's a link:

how-to-improve-from-v32-to-v40-207180.html#p1587722

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

On Test Day:
1) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
2) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
3) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
4) Did you finish any sections early?
5) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAC has publicly stated that a Test Taker's Official score is within +-30 points of actual ability. Given your various scores, on Test Day you scored within the general expected 'range' (albeit at the lower end of the range).

You mentioned that you were taking your CATs in the evening because that was when you had scheduled your GMAT. That later Test time could very well have impacted your performance. Most people do their best thinking in the 'early' part of the day, so taking the GMAT later in the day might have hurt your potential.

Now that you're planning for a longer study period, you have plenty of additional study options. With a V28, you likely lost some significant points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR) and you'll have to make some adjustments to how you deal with that section and the GMAT overall to earn those points back. As such, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com) that you can use to 'test out' the Course before you set up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: Need advice in verbal prep - Is E-GMAT verbal online course worth it? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 09:32
Hi Akirah,

I am sorry to hear that you did not do as well on GMAT as you intended to. With appropriate planning and diligent execution, you should succeed the next time.

How can you improve?

There are two things which you need to do in order to ace the GMAT

1. Learn and master a standard process to solve GMAT verbal questions
2. Work upon your test taking stamina

While (2) can only come through practice and mocks, we can definitely help in (1). To prepare for the verbal portion of the GMAT, you need to have a very strategic approach. You can only succeed on it when you have the right combination of knowledge of concepts and application.

A student should know how to apply the learnt concepts properly to get a good score. In the actual GMAT exam, tricks and shortcuts tend to fail and only students with a proper approach to questions succeed. This is what we do at e-GMAT. We teach our students a foolproof process to solve questions and make them follow the same. This is the reason for our high rate of success.

To understand more on this, view this video (https://goo.gl/AczyNB) of our student Adam who scored a 700 recently. Adam says "when you have a process, it helps you to increase the stamina to answer the questions and hence reduce the fatigue during the exam."

Regarding Verbal Online Course

We are glad to know that you are interested in the Verbal Online course. I would like to clarify few doubts which you have regarding the same

• Verbal Online requires 80 hours of effort and most students are able to complete the course within 30 days.

• Verbal Online is a self-paced online e-learning courses. You can start with it anytime, there is no batch or schedule for the same. You get a study plan as soon as you complete your purchase. The study plan outlines the order in which you approach concepts.

Ninety Nine percent of our students are working professionals and for that reason we have designed our courses in shorter modules. You can study in 15-20 minutes nuggets. Hence, you can easily complete a concept on your laptop and then move to start the corresponding quizzes on your tablet. Have a look some of the files from the links below and observe the duration

o Verb-ed and Verb-ing Modifiers https://goo.gl/QLt3j6
o Like vs. As https://goo.gl/UMRFzP
o Various Functions of 'As' https://goo.gl/iLOvhl

• We have 100+ such beautifully designed audio visual files in our Verbal Online course. To view more such content, just log in to our Free Trial https://e-gmat.com/login/. If you can spend 2-3 hours on the weekends and 4-6 hours on the weekends, you’ll be able to complete the course easily before your target GMAT date.

• Also, to make the best use of your office commute you can study our course on iPad, tablets or mobile devices. See the post below for more information: http://gmatclub.com/forum/e-gmat-courses-on-ipad-or-android-platforms-156736.html

• Lastly, our courses are 5X more comprehensive than any book or study material. You won’t require any other material if you are using our courses. Read more here: http://goo.gl/a9ozww.

It is possible to improve in a month

Here are some examples of folks who have completed e-GMAT course in less than a month and have accomplished their dream scores.

1. Nipun: : This interview (https://goo.gl/JWg5U3) proves that acing the GMAT in 25 days is possible. After scoring 580 in a mock test (V25) Nipun improved to 710 in real GMAT in 4 weeks. Learn how he improved his RC and SC ability tremendously using Verbal Online course.

2. Mahesh: Gave his GMAT 3 times, was unable to ace verbal during his first 2 attempts but improved in 10 days using our course. You can view his audio interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nH2XaBOJk4.

3. Santosh Panda (710, V38): He improved 14 points as well to score 710. You can his review here http://gmatclub.com/reviews/user/santu71182.

4. Satish: This guy improved by 14 points (Verbal 27 to 41) in 20 days. You can read his review http://goo.gl/1vW4gL.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 11:09
Thank you very much Rich and Rajat for your valuable inputs.

After much deliberation and going through the various options that I have, I was convinced to go with the E-GMAT verbal online course despite the limited time I have. I have ordered the course yesterday.

At this point Rajat, however, I have one doubt. I have taken the ability quizzes at the beginning of each section and I scored approximately the same percent in each of the sections(within 1 or 2 percent range of 68%). So I am unsure if I should still work on each of the sections one after the other as mentioned in the strategy session videos or if I can do the 3 sections parallelly. Could you please let me know which approach would be more helpful?

Regards,
Akirah.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 05:35
Dear Akirah,

Thank you for trusting e-GMAT with your preparation needs.

I hope you have viewed the recording of have attended the session – Strategy Session 1 – How to prepare your Study Plan (https://goo.gl/7uiIAJ). This session indicates how one should prepare for GMAT. As indicated in the session, one should first complete a specific section and only then move on to other sections.

This implies that you should not do SC and CR sections (or any other two sections) together. If you are preparing for SC, then only focus on SC. Likewise if you are preparing for CR, then only focus on CR. At the end of each section (SC, CR or RC), take quizzes in Scholaranium to evaluate your progress. You can know more here: https://goo.gl/wLvTM9.

So essentially, for effective preparation, follow the guidelines provided in Strategy Session 1.

We have also created this page (https://goo.gl/dVs62n) for helping you start and plan your preparation properly (do go through it).

Hope this helps. Good luck with your preparation! :)

Feel free to write to me if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 10:29
akirah wrote:
Thank you very much Rich and Rajat for your valuable inputs.

After much deliberation and going through the various options that I have, I was convinced to go with the E-GMAT verbal online course despite the limited time I have. I have ordered the course yesterday.

At this point Rajat, however, I have one doubt. I have taken the ability quizzes at the beginning of each section and I scored approximately the same percent in each of the sections(within 1 or 2 percent range of 68%). So I am unsure if I should still work on each of the sections one after the other as mentioned in the strategy session videos or if I can do the 3 sections parallelly. Could you please let me know which approach would be more helpful?

Regards,
Akirah.

akirah, Hi I seem to be in a similar situation. How was your experience with e-gmat?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 00:29
Hi akirah,
please share your experience with E-Gmat, it will be a great help

Regards
Kartikay
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 03:37
I am really struggling in Verbal section. Have not been able to cross 25 in verbal yet, and I aim for 35+
My weakest area is CR.
Can anyone please suggest some course of action here? Should I go enroll for e-gmat verbal course ?

I have my test due in 1 month. Please suggest.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 11:20
Hi garimalohani99,

To start, you would likely receive more of a response if you started with your own original post thread (instead of just piggy-backing on this one). You should also provide more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What is your exact Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Need advice in verbal prep - Is E-GMAT verbal online course worth it?   [#permalink] 22 May 2018, 11:20

Need advice in verbal prep - Is E-GMAT verbal online course worth it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap