Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: Need Help Regarding GMAT preparation through self study or Coaching [#permalink]
Expert Reply
karanvarshney wrote:
Hello Team,

After reading/going through forums came to know about GMATclub (excellent data inside).

To keep my introduction first I am SAP consultant(Technology) in Big 4 firm in India having 5+years of experience ,presently staying in Gurgaon(Haryana).
I am planning for GMAT from almost 2 years but somehow not able to execute my plans due to all worldly reasons.

This time I have made my mind and Targeting top Indian B- schools(IIM,ISB.MDI..).

I am not able to decide whether coaching is really required, even I attended few institutes in Gurgaon:
Jamboree,Princeton,Wizius etc having different batch size(15-25 students) and almost same type of content(study Material)

I am feeling not very satisfied as not able to decide whether with current working life how I am going to cope up although all the classes are on weekend.

Given GMATprep exam and got 490 score and I know have to prepare hard.

Please guide me.

Thanks
Karan

Hey Karan,

The B-schools you have mentioned are very competitive and a big chunk of people applying to them will have scores of 750+. A lot of them would have Quant 50-51. Having a great Verbal score too (along with a great Quant) can make you stand out from the crowd.

What is the Quant/Verbal split in your score?
Also, what is your academic background? Your subjects? Your graduation?
Have you done any preparation till now or was the test taken without any prep?

As for work-study balance, I don't think you need to worry a lot about it. Nowadays, you have everything available to you online. You will have all your books available in e-book format, 1000s of practice questions available online, video recordings of online classes etc. So you can study on the go whenever you get time - while travelling, waiting, taking breaks etc. Until and unless you are one of those executives who work 18 hours a day, you should be able to find time to study.

I suggest you to check out our free resources on the link given below - our DS book, our four part SC lecture and a free practice test. They will help you get a feel for the kind of resources available and the way in which you can utilise them to improve your score.
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
Schools: Madison '18
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Need Help Regarding GMAT preparation through self study or Coaching [#permalink]
karanvarshney wrote:
Hello Team,

After reading/going through forums came to know about GMATclub (excellent data inside).

To keep my introduction first I am SAP consultant(Technology) in Big 4 firm in India having 5+years of experience ,presently staying in Gurgaon(Haryana).
I am planning for GMAT from almost 2 years but somehow not able to execute my plans due to all worldly reasons.

This time I have made my mind and Targeting top Indian B- schools(IIM,ISB.MDI..).

I am not able to decide whether coaching is really required, even I attended few institutes in Gurgaon:
Jamboree,Princeton,Wizius etc having different batch size(15-25 students) and almost same type of content(study Material)

I am feeling not very satisfied as not able to decide whether with current working life how I am going to cope up although all the classes are on weekend.

Please guide me.

Thanks
Karan

Hey Karan,
I am Pradeep and I'll be joining Wisconsin Madison this fall after working with Maruti for 5 years.
I faced a somewhat similar issue and I used services of experts global. Big advantage was that all the prep was online and I could adjust my study schedule. No need to attend classes. I have experience of time and jamboree and honestly they didn't do me much good. One big advantage with experts is that they really care about the students. I scores 680 at first go cuz I was suffering from dengu. These guys worked with me to understand issues and chalked new study plans. I scores 740 on second attempt.
Inbox me of you need more info - you can't go wrong with them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pradeepbhatt0401 wrote:
karanvarshney wrote:
Hello Team,

Please guide me.

Thanks
Karan

Hey Karan,
I am Pradeep and I'll be joining Wisconsin Madison this fall after working with Maruti for 5 years.
I faced a somewhat similar issue and I used services of experts global. Big advantage was that all the prep was online and I could adjust my study schedule. No need to attend classes. I have experience of time and jamboree and honestly they didn't do me much good. One big advantage with experts is that they really care about the students. I scores 680 at first go cuz I was suffering from dengu. These guys worked with me to understand issues and chalked new study plans. I scores 740 on second attempt.
Inbox me of you need more info - you can't go wrong with them.

Hello Pradeep,

Can i connect with you,my email id is karanvr@gmail.com.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Karan,

It sounds like you've done some studying for the GMAT already, but those details are not completely clear. I'd also like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

1) How long have you studied so far?
2) What materials have you used?
3) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this practice CAT?

4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks Rich:

Please find my response:

1) How long have you studied so far?--- 2 Weeks
2) What materials have you used?-- Manhattan
3) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this practice CAT?-- Need to check and confirm.

4) What is your goal score? -- 720-750
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? --1st week August 2016
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?-- September-October 2016
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Need Help Regarding GMAT preparation through self study or Coaching [#permalink]
Expert Reply
karanvarshney wrote:

Hi Karan, how do you know that all of them offer almost same type of content(study Material)?

Just because all of them offer material on Verbal and Quant, does not mean that the material is same. In fact, the quality of material (what lies inside) might be drastically different.

However, as a person who is just embarking upon the GMAT preparation curve, a student is unfortunately not in a position to discern this difference (because if the student had the skill to distinguish between good and not-so-good material, then that student would not need any coaching in the first place!)

In any case, my point is that one should not assume that all material is the same. Try to quiz the institute about the due-diligence that has gone into creating the content, and the competence of the people who've created it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Karan,

Raising a 490 to a 720+ will take some serious work - you'll have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. With your current timeline, you have about 2.5 months to study, which might not be enough to get you to your score goal. While you don't have to make any changes to that schedule just yet, you have to be open to the possibility that you'll have to push back your Test Date (or potentially retake the GMAT).

Since you're still early-on in your studies, you can continue to study as you choose. You should plan to take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) in 2 weeks or so and then report back here with your scores. That result will give us a better idea of how well you're progressing and what adjustments you might have to make. You would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot