GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need HELP to Improve Sentence Correction!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Need HELP to Improve Sentence Correction!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 23:33
Hi everyone,

I am kind of desperate and looking for a solution to improve my GMAT score. Thanks in advance for reading and suggesting ways.

First of all, a little background about me; I am a non-native English speaker, but living abroad and using English all the time in daily life. I started to prepare GMAT 32 days before the real exam. I did five mocks (GMATPreps and Manhattan) in this period. In all of these mocks and also in the real exam my Quant was 51 straight - so no problem there and I didn't spend any time for it. Also, IR was 8, another time-saver for me.

However, it is the opposite for Verbal, especially for SC. In 32 days, I spend around 75 hours and at least 60 hours on SC. I studied from MGMAT and e-Gmat, I solved all questions on OG and Verbal Review, I took notes, I created an error-log, I used GmatClub a lot to understand my mistakes, and so on. The problem is my accuracy on the practices is around 80-85%; however, somehow in the real exams, it can go as low as 30%. For instance, in some mocks, I got 730-700, but in some of them I got 640, and all this difference is mainly coming from SC. If I 'guess' correct or if I am 'lucky' about the questions, I can score high, but otherwise, the result is unsatisfactory. Consequently, I resulted in 660 in the real exam and still no clue how can I consistently increase my SC score. I mention SC because my RC or CR mistakes are 2-3 max. in each exam, whereas SC can go up to 8-9.

I think my main problem is that I am unable to understand what is the issue in the sentence. I understand the sentence, if it is an obvious mistake, I can fix it, but otherwise, I struggle a lot. I think my accuracy when practicing was high because when I practice I knew what the question about was. Also, in theory, I know almost every 'rule' (i.e. like vs as, modifier, pronouns and so on) but I feel especially in the new 2020 questions and exams the sentences are somehow different -more direct- so if you are not really good it is hard to understand what is the problem. It can be because of the fact that my grammar foundation is not so strong as a native, I am not sure.

All in all, I really need some advice about what to do. I decided to give myself around 10 days rest before preparing again. I am planning to study for another 75 hours in 30 days before the second attempt. I just don't know what else should I do or where else should I study from?
Should I re-do Manhattan and e-Gmat again? Or try something else? I don't I need a tutor, but is it a must since my initial method didn't work?

Thanks a lot in advance. Oh, btw, my target is 700+
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Need HELP to Improve Sentence Correction!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 10:51
Hi efekose83! Since you mention SC as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 10:57
efekose83 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am kind of desperate and looking for a solution to improve my GMAT score. Thanks in advance for reading and suggesting ways.

First of all, a little background about me; I am a non-native English speaker, but living abroad and using English all the time in daily life. I started to prepare GMAT 32 days before the real exam. I did five mocks (GMATPreps and Manhattan) in this period. In all of these mocks and also in the real exam my Quant was 51 straight - so no problem there and I didn't spend any time for it. Also, IR was 8, another time-saver for me.

However, it is the opposite for Verbal, especially for SC. In 32 days, I spend around 75 hours and at least 60 hours on SC. I studied from MGMAT and e-Gmat, I solved all questions on OG and Verbal Review, I took notes, I created an error-log, I used GmatClub a lot to understand my mistakes, and so on. The problem is my accuracy on the practices is around 80-85%; however, somehow in the real exams, it can go as low as 30%. For instance, in some mocks, I got 730-700, but in some of them I got 640, and all this difference is mainly coming from SC. If I 'guess' correct or if I am 'lucky' about the questions, I can score high, but otherwise, the result is unsatisfactory. Consequently, I resulted in 660 in the real exam and still no clue how can I consistently increase my SC score. I mention SC because my RC or CR mistakes are 2-3 max. in each exam, whereas SC can go up to 8-9.

I think my main problem is that I am unable to understand what is the issue in the sentence. I understand the sentence, if it is an obvious mistake, I can fix it, but otherwise, I struggle a lot. I think my accuracy when practicing was high because when I practice I knew what the question about was. Also, in theory, I know almost every 'rule' (i.e. like vs as, modifier, pronouns and so on) but I feel especially in the new 2020 questions and exams the sentences are somehow different -more direct- so if you are not really good it is hard to understand what is the problem. It can be because of the fact that my grammar foundation is not so strong as a native, I am not sure.

All in all, I really need some advice about what to do. I decided to give myself around 10 days rest before preparing again. I am planning to study for another 75 hours in 30 days before the second attempt. I just don't know what else should I do or where else should I study from?
Should I re-do Manhattan and e-Gmat again? Or try something else? I don't I need a tutor, but is it a must since my initial method didn't work?

I too facing the same issue. One of my friend who score 730 suggested to stick eGMAT and Manhattan for SC. Try these two.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 15:21
efekose83 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I donot know if you've heard but veritas SC book is quite descriptive
Jamboree course has all the official material you can have
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 17:49
efekose83 wrote:

it is the opposite for Verbal, especially for SC. difference is mainly coming from SC.

First understand what the sentence says, e.g. what the subjects are doing or what is happening to them, etc.

Cut out the unnecessary bits from the sentence and focus on the necessary ones. Form your own correct sentence keeping the original meanings intact.

Go through answer choices and eliminate those that have mistakes or change the meaning.

Avoid robotic application of grammar rules.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
Schools: ISB '21
WE: Operations (Health Care)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 06:27
I am currently reading education aisle SC nirvana book..
Re: Need HELP to Improve Sentence Correction!   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2019, 06:27

Need HELP to Improve Sentence Correction!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics