Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management; Finance
Schools:Wharton (int); Booth (int)
 Q49  V42
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Need profile review to help decide.. [#permalink]
singhkh10 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am a 29 yr old Electrical Engineer. I am originally from india but a permanent resident in US now. I am planning on going for my MBA and needed some help in school selection. Due to family constraints I am looking for schools in the NE region. My profile is below:

BS in Electronics from an average school in India ( GPA 3.2)
MS from Colorado Tech University (GPA 3.9)
Work experience of 5 years at Intel, startup company, 3M and Philips. Been working in Manufacturing, Medical Devices, Semiconductor industry.
Extra curricular mostly in college with organizing different events, also started a non profit fund, voluntary services at work.
GMAT : 710

I am looking at full time programs at HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck maybe Cornell/ Booth/ Kellogg( if i get into Booth/ kellogg i can move). Also looked at some part time or emba options at booth, kellogg.

I will be applying for 2012 fall...

Any suggestions?? I am not sure if I have the background or the score to get into a top tier school for a full time program..

singhkh,

First of all, you won't be eligible for almost all EMBA. Most of the EMBAs are for candidates who have substantial work experience (10+ years to start with) and are high level executives in your field. Second, the campus recruitment is not well established in EMBA program because EMBAs don't need one. Most of them are sponsored by the companies and will continue to work in their respective companies. Third, if you want to do a career change, go for a two year MBA program that gives you the internship opportunity to develop a base into moving into another career industry.

You should target your schools based on your career goals. Check out this article on how to select your target schools. Your chances of getting admissions, like anyone else's, will depend on how you differentiate yourself from the rest of the applicants and how well you execute your applications.

Good luck!
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi singhkh10,

Thanks for posting. The business schools you are applying to are very competitive. We worked with a client who had a similar background you. The lessons from his application are also applicable to your own candidacy. Our client was born and raised in India, and earned his degree in Engineering. He then went to work for a large corporation where he progressed for the next five years. Although he had solid work experience, and numbers, his demographics placed him in a highly competitive pool, where he really needed to find a way to differentiate.

In our strategy, we recognized that many Indian applicants pursue engineering careers and their resumes all begin to look the same. In working with this client we completely removed the focus from the nitty gritty technical details of his every day job, and emphasized his management and leadership experiences, which set him apart from many of his peers. Specifically, he had spearheaded a non-profit initiative and garnered a great deal of support within his office, ultimately raising significant funds, but also setting the stage for future office initiatives of this kind. He had also taken on a training role, mentoring new hires and helping to develop the blueprint for a training program. Neither of these roles were part of his formal job description but they highlighted his leadership abilities and added color to his resume.

In the end, he was admitted to Columbia, Tuck and MIT. For your application, make sure to focus your essays and recommendations on ways you can differentiate yourself.

I hope this was of help. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Stacy and Blackman.. I am tied up at work during the early part of this year so will work on the essays in the summer. I am planning on applying for starting school in fall 2012.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi singhkh10,

Good luck with your application for this Fall

Applying to a b-school is all about setting yourself apart. Its extremely competitive and attracts the best from everywhere. Hence, two things are key:

1) Hygiene factors - Reiterate that you meet the basic standard. Fairly good academics, some extracurricular, GMAT etc.

2) The Differentiator - This could be your work experience and what you learnt from it, how you are going to use it in the future, something new you plan to create/innovate/change. I see that you have set up a non-profit fund and been involved in voluntary work. Talk about that.

Give it your best shot!

The Apphelp Team
Admissions Consultant
GMAT Club Bot