GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 08:11
sayantanc2k wrote:
rahul031092 wrote:
Shouldn't D be the correct answer? My thoughts are highlighted in the reply on the thread.

E is definitely wrong:

Consider the following:
A AND B are...
The negative of the above statement is:
A OR B are not...

A AND B are not... wrong - implies: A and B not together (but one of them may be)........wrong meaning.

OA has been changed to D (after rectifying the pronoun issue).

Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

A) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's. -- Incorrect -- subject-verb agreement issue -- the vice president was

B) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's policy. -- Incorrect -- subject-verb agreement issue -- the vice president was

C) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation and their main competitor's environmental policy. -- illogical comparison -- corporation and competitor's environmental policy

D) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned with the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's. -- what is the antecedent for Pronoun their here?

E) Both the president and the vice president were unconcerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's. -- Correct -- Some posts have stated that meaning in Option E changes. I do understand that option D talks about the President and Vice-president individually whereas option E talks about the President and Vice-President together , but in my opinion the change is subtle and not illogical and Pronoun their is a bigger issue in option D

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , daagh ,mcelroytutoring, other experts -- please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

e-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Jun 2018, 13:48
Top Contributor
Skywalker18 wrote:
D) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned with the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's. -- what is the antecedent for Pronoun their here?
mcelroytutoring, other experts -- please enlighten

Hi Skywalker18,

Well, first of all this is a Kap. question, not an official GMAT question, so I am not going to spend much time on it.

However, it's OK to write "their" later in the sentence in Choice D, because at that point we are referring to both the president and the vice president of the corporation at the same time (although we are referring them individually at the beginning of the sentence, which is why we must use singular verbs there).

Pro tip: you can remember that the word "neither" is singular by the phrase "neither one," because "one" is the very definition of singular! This trick also works with other singular words commonly mistaken as plural nouns

Neither = neither one = singular
Either = either one = singular
Each = each one = singular
Any = any one = singular
None = not one = singular

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 10 Jun 2018, 10:11.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 10 Jun 2018, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 12:58
Top Contributor
Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

A) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

B) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's policy.

C) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation and their main competitor's environmental policy.

D) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned with the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

E) Both the president and the vice president were unconcerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

When we say we are concerned with, we mean to say that we are dealing with. For example, we say that
The Travel Dept is concerned with my flight booking

An ICU in a hospital is concerned with very sick people.
Here, we mean that the travel dept. deals with ticket booking and the ICU deals with sick people.
We do not mean that the travel dept. is very worried by ticket booking or that the ICU is literally tormented by the very sick condition.

However, when we say we are 'concerned about', we mean that we are 'worried by'.
I am concerned about my son's performance

The President is concerned about the neo-migrants into his country.

We may perhaps see the difference between both the idioms. In the light of this perception, I think the idiom 'concerned with' in D does not make much sense. In addition, whenever nor/or is used, the effective subject turns out to be the noun that is just before the verb and as the deciding subject is the vice president, we must settle for the singular 'his' rather than 'their'. On the other hand, E has no sub-verb or sub-pronoun number agreement issues and fittingly uses an appropriate idiom.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 04:25
Confusion between the option D and E.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 01:29
Hi Experts, the current explanations present for this questions are ambiguous.

Could you please let us know your view regarding how to eliminate option "D" here and why to choose option "E" here.

I selected "E" btw.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 05:04
amlan1985 wrote:
Hi Experts, the current explanations present for this questions are ambiguous.

Could you please let us know your view regarding how to eliminate option "D" here and why to choose option "E" here.

I selected "E" btw.

Actually, daagh has given very clear explanation above.

Option (D) uses "Neither nor" so subject is the noun closer to the verb. The subject (vice president) is singular and hence the use of singular verb "was". This also means that pronouns referring to the subject must be singular and hence the use of "their" is incorrect. We need to use "her/his".

(D) also has the idiomatic issue of "concerned with" which is incorrect. When you worry about something, you are "concerned about" it.

Option (E) clearly has a plural subject "Both the president and the vice president" and hence needs plural verb "were" and plural pronoun "their". Hence all is in order here.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 05:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap