GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Jun 2018, 19:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (01:30) correct 78% (01:13) wrong based on 991 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

A) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

B) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's policy.

C) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation and their main competitor's environmental policy.

D) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned with the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

E) Both the president and the vice president were unconcerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

Originally posted by kivalo on 21 Mar 2017, 13:09.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 10 Jun 2018, 19:11, edited 3 times in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 05:32
rahul031092 wrote:
Shouldn't D be the correct answer? My thoughts are highlighted in the reply on the thread.

E is definitely wrong:

Consider the following:
A AND B are...
The negative of the above statement is:
A OR B are not...

A AND B are not... wrong - implies: A and B not together (but one of them may be)........wrong meaning.

OA has been changed to D (after rectifying the pronoun issue).
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 06:08
IMO it should be D because:
1. SV agreement: Neither X nor Y . Here verb is defined by Y which is singular i.e. Vice President.
2. Concerned with is the correct idiom.
3. Between X and Y parallelism is maintained.

However, I am not sure why E is the OA? Isn't Concerned about a wrong idiom?

egmat
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 06:09
Shouldn't D be the correct answer? My thoughts are highlighted in the reply on the thread.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 06:16
rahul031092 wrote:

You are correct with your analysis for D, but in SC we "eliminate", rather than "select".
In D - "Neither the president nor the vice president" is actually singular, so "their" is incorrect.
While in E - "Both.." makes it plural, hence "their" works well.
--
Better way to proceed is to see the splits - "was/were", and then decide what is needed for the following pronoun "their"?

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 08:50
kivalo wrote:
Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

A) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.
B) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's policy.
C) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation and their main competitor's environmental policy.
D) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned with the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.
E) Both the president and the vice president were unconcerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

Neither X nor Y + singular verb. Hence A, B are eliminated.

In C, the meaning is changed, so C is eliminated.

Now, D & E are left.
(1) be (un)concerned about/with sth: (un)interested in sth.
(2) be (un)concerned about sth: (not) worried about sth.

Now, I think the usage in (2) is more suitable for the sentence. I dont think that "their" here need to go with plural verb. Hencen E is the correct answer.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 17:49

Although the Neither X nor Y and the y's number is used is the thing we look here but thats just step 1.

after this we are left with C and D. but both of these choices use 'their' to refer to the president and the vice president. so they must be plural entity, and that can only be done with choice E where the usage of both makes the entity plural.

E is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 06:37
Well, Kaplan's answer was E. Their explanation is that 'concerned with' is a wrong idiom in D because it means something more like 'involved in' and not 'worried about'. (Question is from workshop video)
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 10:33
E is wrong-
Neither P nor VP was concerned-
Both P and VP were unconcerned : together they (P + VP) were unconcerned ,
but P might be concerned singly. likewise VP.

in D replace 'their' with 'his'. D is right.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 00:08
sayantanc2k wrote:
rahul031092 wrote:

E is definitely wrong:

Consider the following:
A AND B are...
A OR B are not...

A AND B are not... wrong - implies: A and B not together (but one of them may be)........wrong meaning.

Hi sayantanc2k,
Thanks but can you explain little more on why E is wrong. The given explanation did not clear my doubt.

Thanks.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 14:00
adityapareshshah wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rahul031092 wrote:

E is definitely wrong:

Consider the following:
A AND B are...
A OR B are not...

Hi sayantanc2k,
Thanks but can you explain little more on why E is wrong. The given explanation did not clear my doubt.

Thanks.

The point has been further explained by shekyonline here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/neither-the- ... l#p1826707

Moreover remembering this logical operator might help:
NOT (A AND B) = (NOT A) OR (NOT B).
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 06:39
Thanks
This is deep!
I chose E.

"A and B are NOT agreeing to the deal " has two meanings I guess
a) They both together are not agreeing to the deal.
or
b)either A or B are not agreeing to the deal.

- Stne

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 11:59
"concerned with" = involved with
"concerned by/about" = worried about, troubled about.

Given the intended meaning of the statement, the correct idiomatic usage should be "concerned about". Hence E. OA seems debatable.
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 23:33
kivalo wrote:

A and B are out because of plural verb "were".

C is out for wrong comparison.

From D and E, both are grammatically correct, but I will go with D as it keeps the original sense of question.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 08:06
SonalSinha803 wrote:
broall wrote:
kivalo wrote:

Now, D & E are left.

Now, I think the usage in (2) is more suitable for the sentence. I dont think that "their" here need to go with plural verb. Hencen E is the correct answer.
Yes you are right. Also, the use of concerned "with" is idiomatically incorrect.

Thus, E is best.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Concerned with is Idiomatically Correct in GMAT, please go through this link of ECONOMIST

https://gmat.economist.com/gmat-advice/ ... -know-gmat

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 00:49
Abhishek009 wrote:
SonalSinha803 wrote:
broall wrote:
[quote="kivalo"]Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

Now, D & E are left.

Yes you are right. Also, the use of concerned "with" is idiomatically incorrect.

Thus, E is best.

Concerned with is Idiomatically Correct in GMAT, please go through this link of ECONOMIST

https://gmat.economist.com/gmat-advice/ ... -know-gmat[/quote]Yes concerned with is idiomatically correct but correct answers also depend on the context.

Concerned about - worried about
Concerned with - related to or involved with.

Meaning significantly changes.

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 03:45

Meaning of the sentence: The President and vice President were not concerned about the negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's.

Errors in the original sentence: Singular subject( the vice President ) should have singular verb.

Rule for Neither X nor Y - Verb should agree to the closest noun(here, it's Y)

A) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's. Subject-verb agreement error

B) Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's policy. Subject-verb agreement error

Comparison error. Here, the comparison is between own corporation and the competitor's eenvironmental policy

D) Neither the president nor the vice president was concerned with the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's. Correct
Singular subject (the vice president) agrees with the singular verb(was)

E) Both the president and the vice president were unconcerned about the pervasive negative comparison between their own corporation's environmental policy and their main competitor's. Meaning change

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 03:47
1. first "Neither + noun1+ nor +noun2+ verb" :
> noun1 <=> the president
> noun2 <=> the vice president
> verb should follow the closer noun = noun2 <=> the vice president
>> should be was/were: A, B & E out
2. next, comparison should be between same things i.e. policy vs policy
> "C" compares corporation vs policy i.e. "C" is out
> D is the answer
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 22:08
Dear Sir, Can you please explain why E is wrong.
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 22:34
robu1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
robu1 wrote:

please any expert explain all options in detail. why the correct answer is right.

Merging topics. Please check the disucssion above.

dear Sir, Can you please explain why E is wrong.

You can find your answer here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/neither-the- ... l#p1826045

Please read the whole thread before raising query. Most of the times answers are available in the thread.

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the &nbs [#permalink] 20 May 2018, 22:34

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Neither the president nor the vice president were concerned about the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap