GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 May 2019, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
D
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 10:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (02:31) correct 79% (02:16) wrong based on 174 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain fundamental changes in government, we would virtually eliminate our most vexing social ills. But clearly this conclusion is false. After all, the argument Arnot makes for this claim depends on the dubious assumption that government can be trusted to act in the interest of the public.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses a flaw in the argument's reasoning?

(A) It repudiates a claim merely on the ground that an inadequate argument has been given for it

(B) It treats a change that is required for virtual elimination of society's most vexing social ills as a change that will guarantee the virtual elimination of those ills

(C) It fails to consider that, even if an argument's conclusion is false, some of the assumptions used to justify that conclusion may nonetheless be true

(D) It distorts the opponent's argument and then attacks this distorted argument

(E) It uses a key term "government" in one sense in a premise and in another sense in the conclusion

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
CAT Tests
Re: Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 03:06
I dont understand why option C is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: ESSEC '22
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 12:16
Should it not be trust(/-ed)? (typo)

What a question i spent 5 mins

Part 1(Arnot's argument): X change would solve Y
Part 2 (Newspapers Conclusion): claim X is dependent on assumption P and therefore false.

After reading answer choice D and E i felt like the question was asking one to find the role of part 2 (do correct me if I'm wrong? cause when i tried to find weakener i was stuck between a and c)

A says it rejects X because part 1 provides insufficient evidence and is therefore false (part 2 is doing just that)

B merely paraphrases part 1

C says the assumption may be true but the conclusion is false. but Part 2 says that assumption is false and hence conclusion
is false )

D Part 2 does not distort the argument. Part 2 says it just depends on a doubtful assumption

E does not specify role of Part 2. even if the term is used interchangeably.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 19:33
GMATNinja generis VeritasKarishma

Please help. What is wrong with option C??

I somehow feel that this is not the right question to practice for GMAT. Am I correct in saying this??
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 23:44
warrior1991 wrote:
GMATNinja generis VeritasKarishma

Please help. What is wrong with option C??

I somehow feel that this is not the right question to practice for GMAT. Am I correct in saying this??

I don't think this is an official LSAT question. Option (A) doesn't make much sense to me and neither does any other option.
Would request a screenshot of the question and solution given.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
D
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Reviews Badge
Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 04:52
VeritasKarishma, the screenshot is attached. As the one who uploaded this, I can assure you that this, indeed, an official LSAT question. It is question #14, of section 3, of Prep test 64. I will provide an OE in a different post once I have time to write out a thorough explanation.
Attachments

Veritas.PNG
Veritas.PNG [ 202.68 KiB | Viewed 443 times ]

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 00:49
can anyone explain why option B is incorrect
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 04:50
Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain fundamental changes in government, we would virtually eliminate our most vexing social ills. But clearly this conclusion is false. After all, the argument Arnot makes for this claim depends on the dubious assumption that government can be trusted to act in the interest of the public.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses a flaw in the argument's reasoning?

(A) It repudiates a claim merely on the ground that an inadequate argument has been given for it -- The author says X. We say that the author is missing something, so it cannot be true. This is our flaw. Just because we do not believe a good argument was made for something (the stated dubious assumption) doesn't make it an impossibility. It could still very much be a valid point. If you claim that the world will collapse in 5 years due to climate change, and I say "That is impossible. You are relying on a dumb assumption. Therefore, me being the smartest person in the world, I know that this cannot be true. Ever." This is a HUGE flaw in our argument!

(B) It treats a change that is required for virtual elimination of society's most vexing social ills as a change that will guarantee the virtual elimination of those ills -- The argument says virtually eliminate, not eliminate all together. And we are arguing that this CANNOT happen. Further, this is so far off base it is not even funny. Where do we state that something is required for something?

(C) It fails to consider that, even if an argument's conclusion is false, some of the assumptions used to justify that conclusion may nonetheless be true -- But the goal of this argument is talking about the conclusion, not the underlying assumptions. Out.

(D) It distorts the opponent's argument and then attacks this distorted argument -- It does not. We say it is relying on shaky information. We do not distort any view point; we do not change any conclusions or claims made. Out.

(E) It uses a key term "government" in one sense in a premise and in another sense in the conclusion -- Nope. Government remains the same throughout (by the way, how could government be used differently? I am thinking government of X versus Y, but even then it is still government). This is tricky in that if you get to (E) and did not select (A), you probably go with it because you are confused and are out of time.

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 05:54
nightblade354 wrote:
VeritasKarishma, the screenshot is attached. As the one who uploaded this, I can assure you that this, indeed, an official LSAT question. It is question #14, of section 3, of Prep test 64. I will provide an OE in a different post once I have time to write out a thorough explanation.

Ok. If possible, put up the official explanation too please. I am not convinced of the options so would like to read what the official test maker has to say.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 06:23
VeritasKarishma, I do not believe I have access to the OE. To be honest, I am skeptical that they even exist in the books.

Here is MGMAT's: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t5498.html
Here is Powerscore's: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1909

And you have mine above. If you have further questions, please let me know.

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
GMAT Club Bot
Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2019, 06:23

Newspaper subscriber: Arnot's editorial argues that by making certain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap