GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is pas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is pas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 00:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:16) correct 36% (01:23) wrong based on 202 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is passed by Jessica, who cycles at a constant rate of 30 kilometers per hour. If Jessica cycles at her constant rate for x minutes after passing Nicole, then stops to wait for her, how many minutes will Jessica have to wait for Nicole to catch up to her?

a) x minutes
b) x/2 minutes
c) 2x/3 minutes
d) 3x/2 minutes
e) 2x minutes
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is pas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 00:19
Jessica rides for x minutes and in this time let's say she covers distance d.

Nicole would have covered 2d/3 (since their speeds are in the ratio 2:3)

Thus he has d/3 left, which is half of 2d/3. Hence he would take half the time taken for 2d/3 which is x/2.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Premium Member
Re: Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is pas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 02:05
chandeep01 wrote:
Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is passed by Jessica, who cycles at a constant rate of 30 kilometers per hour. If Jessica cycles at her constant rate for x minutes after passing Nicole, then stops to wait for her, how many minutes will Jessica have to wait for Nicole to catch up to her?

a) x minutes
b) x/2 minutes
c) 2x/3 minutes
d) 3x/2 minutes
e) 2x minutes

Speed of nicole = 20km/h or 20/60 km/min = 1/3 km/min.

Once jessica passed the nicole, the distance between the nicole and jessica will increase at the rate of (30-20) = 10km/h or 1/6 km/min

now jessica is cycling for x minutes after passing the nicole, so in those x minutes distance between jessica and nicole would be (1/6)*x = x/6 km.

So, the time taken by nicole to travel x/6 km = (x/6)/(1/3) = x/2. hence answer should be B.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 05:55
chandeep01 wrote:

a) x minutes
b) x/2 minutes
c) 2x/3 minutes
d) 3x/2 minutes
e) 2x minutes

Let, x = 60

Relative Speed = 30-20 = 10 Km/Hr

Jessica passes Nicole and runs for x(=60)mins i.e. makes a distance of 10*1 = 10 Km ahead of Nicole

Nicole has speed of 20 Km/Hr so a distance of 10 km will be covered by her in = 10/20 = 1/2 hour = 30 mins = x/2 mins

Answer: Option B

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is pas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 05:56
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In PS, IVY approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer.

Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is passed by Jessica, who cycles at a constant rate of 30 kilometers per hours. If Jessica cycles at her constant rates for x minutes after passing Nicole, then stops to wait for her, how many minutes will Jessica have to waits for Nicole to catch up to her.
a) x minutes
b) x/2 minutes
c) 2x/3 minutes
d) 3x/2 minutes
e) 2x minutes

After Jessica passed Nicole, since the relative speed of Nicole and Jessica is 10 kilometers per hour, the distance between two during x/60 hours(=x minutes) is (x/60) * (10) kilometers. Because Jessica stops after x/60 hours(=x minutes) Nicole should catch up (x/60) * (10) kilometers with her 20 kilometers per hour's speed. If it takes t minutes(=t/60 hours) then t should satisfy (t/60)*(20)=(x/60) * (10). So t= x/2. That is Jessica have to waits x/2minutes for Nicole to catch up to her.The answer is b).

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 13:05
N loses 1/6 k/m to J
In x minutes N is x/6 k behind J
N cycles at 1/3 k/m
x/6 / 1/3 = x/2 minutes to catch up
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 21:42
chandeep01 wrote:

a) x minutes
b) x/2 minutes
c) 2x/3 minutes
d) 3x/2 minutes
e) 2x minutes

after meeting each other
distance travelled by jessica in x minutes=30xkm
for x minutes nicole travelled =20x km

distance between them =30x-20x=10x
this distance (10x) will be covered by nicole in 10x/20=x/2 minutes
thus jessica have to wait for x/2 minutes

Ans B
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 22:57
Top Contributor
Hi Chandeep01,

Here is my 2 cents for this question,

Best way to solve this problem is Plugging in for x minutes.

“x” we can take anything, just make sure here we take a multiple of 30 and 20 because its easy for calculation.

Let say x = 120 minutes, that is 2 hours.

Then for two hours Jessica would have travelled,

D = 2 * 30 = 60 kms,

And Nicole would have travelled,

D = 2 * 20 = 40kms,

So Jessica is ahead of Nicole by 20kms and wait for Nicole to join.

So Nicole has to cover 20kms, so it would take an hour for Nicole to cover 20kms.

That’s it, since the answer choices are minutes, one hour = 60 mins.

So we should get the answer as 60 while substituting x = 120.

So the answer is B.

Hope this helps

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 01:59
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Hi Chandeep01,

“x” we can take anything, just make sure here we take a multiple of 30 and 20 because its easy for calculation.

D = 2 * 30 = 60 kms,

D = 2 * 20 = 40kms,

So Nicole has to cover 20kms, so it would take an hour for Nicole to cover 20kms.

So the answer is B.

Hope this helps

Dear CrackVerbal,

When I tried the rule that you mentioned in your post below. it did not work properly.

cars-p-and-q-started-simultaneously-from-opposite-ends-of-a-159355.html#p1782046

After Nicole passed Jessica, Jessica cycled for certain time the stopped till Jessica cached her up. So it mean that both cycled for same DISTANCE. So I applied the following rule as you mentioned

S1T1 = S2T2...........However It gave me wrong answer D.

Where did I go wrong?

thanks in advance for you help
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 15:53
chandeep01 wrote:

a) x minutes
b) x/2 minutes
c) 2x/3 minutes
d) 3x/2 minutes
e) 2x minutes

J cycles 1/2 kpm
N cycles 1/3 kpm
after passing N, J cycles x*1/2=x/2 k
in same time, N cycles x*1/3=x/3 k
(x/2)-(x/3)=x/6 k remaining for N to catch up to J
x/6 k/1/3 kpm=x/2 minutes
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 01:48
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Hi Chandeep01,

D = 2 * 30 = 60 kms,

D = 2 * 20 = 40kms,

So the answer is B.

Hope this helps

Dear CrackVerbal,

When I tried the rule that you mentioned in your post below. it did not work properly.

cars-p-and-q-started-simultaneously-from-opposite-ends-of-a-159355.html#p1782046

After Nicole passed Jessica, Jessica cycled for certain time the stopped till Jessica cached her up. So it mean that both cycled for same DISTANCE. So I applied the following rule as you mentioned

S1T1 = S2T2...........However It gave me wrong answer D.

Where did I go wrong?

thanks in advance for you help

Hi Mo2men,

You have done the first part right in identifying that the distance traveled by both Nicole and Jessica is a constant.

Let SN and TN be the speed and time of Nicole and SJ and TJ be the speed and time of Jessica.

Since the distance is constant SN*TN = SJ * TJ

Now the time taken by Jessica after she passes Nicole is 'x' minutes. After travelling for 'x' minutes Jessica stops and waits for Nicole. So the total time taken by Jessica to travel the constant distance is 'x' minutes.

Jessica travels for the initial 'x' minutes and an additional 'y' minutes when Nicole is at rest (waiting for her to catch up). So the total time taken by Jessica to travel the constant distance is 'x + y' minutes.

Here we need to find the value of y with respect to x

So substituting the speeds and times in SN*TN = SJ * TJ we get

20(x + y)/60 = 30(x)/60 ; Dividing by 60 since the time is in minutes

Simplifying we get x = 2y -----> y = x/2

Answer : B

Hope this helps!

CrackVerbal Academics Team

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 08:01
chandeep01 wrote:

a) x minutes
b) x/2 minutes
c) 2x/3 minutes
d) 3x/2 minutes
e) 2x minutes

We can classify this problem as a “catch-up” rate problem, for which we use the fact that distance travelled by Nicole = distance travelled by Jessica.

We are given that Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour and is passed by Jessica, who cycles at a constant rate of 30 kilometers per hour. We are also given that Jessica cycles at her constant rate for x minutes after passing Nicole, and then stops to wait for her. We can let t be the waiting time in minutes; that is, Nicole has to cycle x + t minutes to catch up to Jessica, who has to cycle x minutes only.

Since distance = rate x time, we can calculate each person’s distance in terms of t and x. However, the rate is in km per hour, but the time is in minutes. Thus we need to convert the time from minutes to hours. Recall that there are 60 minutes in an hour. Thus, x minutes = x/60 hours and x + t minutes = (x + t)/60 hours.

Nicole’s distance = 20[(x + t)/60] = (x + t)/3

Jessica’s distance = 30(x/60) = x/2

We can equate the two distances and determine t in terms of x.

(x + t)/3 = x/2

2(x + t) = 3x

2x + 2t = 3x

2t = x

t = x/2

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 08:49
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is pas &nbs [#permalink] 22 May 2018, 08:49

Nicole cycles at a constant rate of 20 kilometers per hour, and is pas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap