GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Ace the EMBA

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how to create an outstanding application for top EMBA programs from an EMBA admissions expert.
  • Now accepting requests for consultations for 2019-2020!

February 22, 2019

February 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

The Vantage Point MBA team is now accepting requests for consultations for the 2019-2020 appplication season. We look forward to hearing from you!

Non-insignificant typo on my resume, wondering if I should clarify

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Leadership
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.74
Non-insignificant typo on my resume, wondering if I should clarify  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 10:48
You know how it is- you've read your resume and essays a hundred times, and then of course the moment you hit "submit" you find that typo. Well, I found one after I'd submitted my resume to Wharton, Harvard, and Kellogg. Yikes.

Line was supposed to say "managed 26 employees," got transposed to "managed 62 employees." Big difference, right?

I know if this was a little thing like "your" vs "you're", I wouldn't bring attention to it...but this seems like something that I ought to humbly clarify and apologize for. Any thoughts?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Non-insignificant typo on my resume, wondering if I should clarify  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 13:27
Hi and sorry about the typo. I would not worry too much about it despite being materially different. We have had people submit their annual salary instead of monthly and vice versa on the applications. All things happen and typos/issues often happen and not even caught by applicants.

I don't think it will hurt to report it but I don't know that it will make a difference. I don't really think that schools have a good mechanism of recording and updating things - they would have to update your whole resume in the file. Someone on the staff will be like - Really? This gal/dude typed 62 instead of 26 and now I have to find them, open their file, locate the correct section, update the numbers and save it?

P.S.
Having spent 20 mins writing this reply with on and off interruptions, thus giving me time to reflect on it, if I were in your shoes, I would probably contact the school just for the peace of mind but that is me. Let's see if you get better advice.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Non-insignificant typo on my resume, wondering if I should clarify  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 23:17
BB has mentioned the right solution. Connect with the Admission committee member or someone who is assigned to you after you have submitted your application.
In my opinion 26 and 62 are a lot different. If I were in your position I would have definitely gone to the adcom. They are nice people and are there to help you. (I hope for the best)

tnsl6212 wrote:
You know how it is- you've read your resume and essays a hundred times, and then of course the moment you hit "submit" you find that typo. Well, I found one after I'd submitted my resume to Wharton, Harvard, and Kellogg. Yikes.

Line was supposed to say "managed 26 employees," got transposed to "managed 62 employees." Big difference, right?

I know if this was a little thing like "your" vs "you're", I wouldn't bring attention to it...but this seems like something that I ought to humbly clarify and apologize for. Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Leadership
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.74
Re: Non-insignificant typo on my resume, wondering if I should clarify  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 05:51
Thanks for the feedback. I emailed the adcoms this morning using this language:

Upon reviewing the resume submitted with my application (# XXXXX), I found that there is a typo where a number "26" was transposed to "62" in reference to the number of employees under my management. Had this been a minor typo, I would not have alerted you, but I definitely wanted to make sure that I didn't have incorrect information in my application that misleadingly made me a more attractive candidate.

I apologize for the oversight and acknowledge that I should have caught it in my final application review. I have attached an updated version of my resume with no other changes apart from this corrected typo. If it can be attached to my application, that would be appreciated. Again, I apologize for the oversight and wanted to make sure that you have my most accurate information.

Sincerely,

hope that does it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 18:40
tnsl6212 : It will.

All the best !

tnsl6212 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I emailed the adcoms this morning using this language:

hope that does it

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 13:18
Great note!

I am a strong believe that you can turn around a negative situation into making it a bigger strength vs. someone who submitted a perfect app to start with. I feel it shows character when things get messed up and it shows how people fix them. Nobody is perfect, so it is all about what happens after.

Best of luck!

P.S. I hope you get in. If you do, it may become a competitive strategy to mess up on the app somewhere on purpose and then brilliantly fix it. I am rooting for you and hoping your success will pave a new approach to app submissions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Non-insignificant typo on my resume, wondering if I should clarify   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2019, 13:18

Non-insignificant typo on my resume, wondering if I should clarify

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap