Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: Non-traditional Profile - Will Apply after I get MD [#permalink]
Kudos
I went to Wharton and the people who ended up with the most interesting careers are those who pursued the MD-MBA program. I keep in touch with a few people from this program and can't believe the opportunities that are continually being presented to them. I also have to say that they are an incredibly talented group of people and deserve this visibility and success.

As for timing, you really have to think about your current plan. Most of the people in this program really struggled to finish their residencies.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Inglorious wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Inglorious wrote:
And just to be clear, I will not be competing head to head with anyone here. I will be applying in 4 years or so.

I loved this part :-D. If not for this disclaimer, we would have had sleepless nights ;)
Beauty of this GC community is that everyone is competing with everyone else, yet is helping out each other.

Regarding your query - for HBS any score around 670-800 would do.. GMAT is just one aspect of your entire application for MBA admission, and for an ultra elite college such as HBS propbably even lesser significant. Your application and essays would be more crucial.

Anything to help you sleep easy at night.

Haha! I come from the world of pre-meds where everyone (sans me of course :wink: ) are openly trying to back stab each other. It is really disgraceful. People will teach each other wrong things and purposely mess up lab results in order to make each other flunk.

In all seriousness, does affirmative action play a big role? Will being a male Asian American from California play a major role? I ask because I would say that ethnicity is third biggest factor in the medical field...right after gpa and mcat scores.

It depends on what type of asian. If you're korean, chinese, japanese, then probably not since they're not under-represented.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
The MCAT was a pain??? You haven't seen anything until you take Step 1!! :lol:

Ward2012 wrote:
It depends on what type of asian. If you're korean, chinese, japanese, then probably not since they're not under-represented.

Under-represented is black, latino, or native american in medicine (and i assume business). It's just the way it is. Indians and all Asians aren't considered minorities whatsoever. :)

A friend of mine from med school applied for B-school during his second year, which is what I'd recommend doing. He went to Columbia for two years and came back to finish his MD. Doesn't regret doing that one bit. Plenty of others did MPHs or MHA between second and third. As stated, there are combined programs, but I would highly recommend getting that education from a different institution than your medical school so you have a more diverse input into your ideology. I also know a few folks that are doing an EMBA during residency, fellowship, or even in their career. Research the options and ask for input for how your medical school does things. Lots of times they'll be creative and help you get to where you want to be, it's just the path you prefer to take and what works best for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for everyone's reply. I really appreciate it.

ManhattanReview wrote:
I went to Wharton and the people who ended up with the most interesting careers are those who pursued the MD-MBA program. I keep in touch with a few people from this program and can't believe the opportunities that are continually being presented to them. I also have to say that they are an incredibly talented group of people and deserve this visibility and success.

As for timing, you really have to think about your current plan. Most of the people in this program really struggled to finish their residencies.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Thanks for your kind wishes. Needless to say, I have a long road ahead of me.
krudget wrote:
The MCAT was a pain??? You haven't seen anything until you take Step 1!! :lol:

Ward2012 wrote:

Under-represented is black, latino, or native american in medicine (and i assume business). It's just the way it is. Indians and all Asians aren't considered minorities whatsoever. :)

A friend of mine from med school applied for B-school during his second year, which is what I'd recommend doing. He went to Columbia for two years and came back to finish his MD. Doesn't regret doing that one bit. Plenty of others did MPHs or MHA between second and third. As stated, there are combined programs, but I would highly recommend getting that education from a different institution than your medical school so you have a more diverse input into your ideology. I also know a few folks that are doing an EMBA during residency, fellowship, or even in their career. Research the options and ask for input for how your medical school does things. Lots of times they'll be creative and help you get to where you want to be, it's just the path you prefer to take and what works best for you.

The 2 science sections weren't too bad and the written section was a breeze. The MCAT was awful because of the verbal section. Without revealing my identity, I have another degree in something very akin to literature and have spent all 4 years in undergrad reading. Yet, those skills did not translate when studying for the verbal section. That was very frustrating because my verbal scores would fluctuate wildly. I would score anywhere ranging from a 6 (which is the 18th percentile) to a 12(which is about a 85 percentile I believe). It was awful and I spent most of my time wrestling with that stupid section. Thank God I don't have to mess with that stuff again on the step one....but I will have to for the GMAT...sigh...

Glad to know that med schools are open to students getting a MBA. Every time I've mentioned it to my MD professors at UC Davis, people give me dirty looks.
GMAT Club Bot