Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: November, 2014 IMBA at IE - Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Viator wrote:
Congrats to those who have made it so far! I look forward to meeting you all and enjoying drinks and tapas!

When do you guys plan to arrive in Spain? I'm planning on getting there 10-15 days before it starts so I can find an apartment (planning to share if I can find a roommate), get my mind in Spanish speaking mode, and get comfortable and be a tourist for a short time before it jumps off.

How about all of you?

I'm not sure what the details are for the Intensive Spanish class, but as someone who doesn't speak the language I thinking I should be signing up. At the very latest I'll be arriving 2 weeks early to find a place similarly to you. I just had my first appointment with the bank today to discuss financing this thing so right now I'm feeling a little less excited and a little more fearful.... time to get those scholarship applications submitted
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hola a Todos!

Madrid....I would totally suggest going at least a few weeks early! I lived there for 5 months. You will want to get familiar with the city and Metro as well as take a few side trips. I would check out Toledo and Segovia right away. If you have time, take a bus [or Ave if you can afford it] down to Sevilla for a weekend. You will fall in love! Additionally, the Spanish accent is a bit different than any Spanish you will hear in the US so your ear may benefit from a few extra weeks practicing.

Viator and Tmd8on, would you mind sharing your profiles? I think you are both from the US, as am I.

Gracias y suerte!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tmd8on wrote:
Viator wrote:
Congrats to those who have made it so far! I look forward to meeting you all and enjoying drinks and tapas!

When do you guys plan to arrive in Spain? I'm planning on getting there 10-15 days before it starts so I can find an apartment (planning to share if I can find a roommate), get my mind in Spanish speaking mode, and get comfortable and be a tourist for a short time before it jumps off.

How about all of you?

I'm not sure what the details are for the Intensive Spanish class, but as someone who doesn't speak the language I thinking I should be signing up. At the very latest I'll be arriving 2 weeks early to find a place similarly to you. I just had my first appointment with the bank today to discuss financing this thing so right now I'm feeling a little less excited and a little more fearful.... time to get those scholarship applications submitted

If you have no Spanish under your belt the intensive class would definitely be a worthwhile thing to do. I studied it for 2 years in university and spent some time in Mexico and Central America, but I haven't spoken a word of Spanish in 5 years. I'm trying to get myself to study consistently now so I can show up at least at an intermediate level. I believe we'll be required to take weekly classes throughout the program, so at the least you'll be conversational by the time you graduate. If you and maybe another are looking for a roommate maybe we can organize something. It's a bit early now, but we can talk more and see if it's a good fit. I haven't had a roommate for a long time, but I'm not sure that I want to put the cash down for a place to myself considering we'll probably be in school or out busy so often. Financing is scaring me as well. Are you talking to your private bank? I'm considering that, as well as Sallie Mae.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Coobers3 wrote:
Hola a Todos!

Madrid....I would totally suggest going at least a few weeks early! I lived there for 5 months. You will want to get familiar with the city and Metro as well as take a few side trips. I would check out Toledo and Segovia right away. If you have time, take a bus [or Ave if you can afford it] down to Sevilla for a weekend. You will fall in love! Additionally, the Spanish accent is a bit different than any Spanish you will hear in the US so your ear may benefit from a few extra weeks practicing.

Viator and Tmd8on, would you mind sharing your profiles? I think you are both from the US, as am I.

Gracias y suerte!

I am indeed from the States. I haven't lived there since 2009, but I was born and raised there. Originally I'm from just outside of STL. And you? I can give you more info if you PM me. Are you waiting to hear about a possible interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Viator wrote:
Coobers3 wrote:
Hola a Todos!

Gracias y suerte!

I am indeed from the States. I haven't lived there since 2009, but I was born and raised there. Originally I'm from just outside of STL. And you? I can give you more info if you PM me. Are you waiting to hear about a possible interview?

I'm Canadian, born & raised in the Toronto area...clearly I neglected to change the location in my profile until now. I have a business undergrad and 4 years working in corporate retail operations. My GMAT score & gpa were average compared to previous intakes. Feel free to PM me as well if you would like more details.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Viator wrote:
tmd8on wrote:
Viator wrote:

How about all of you?

If you have no Spanish under your belt the intensive class would definitely be a worthwhile thing to do. I studied it for 2 years in university and spent some time in Mexico and Central America, but I haven't spoken a word of Spanish in 5 years. I'm trying to get myself to study consistently now so I can show up at least at an intermediate level. I believe we'll be required to take weekly classes throughout the program, so at the least you'll be conversational by the time you graduate. If you and maybe another are looking for a roommate maybe we can organize something. It's a bit early now, but we can talk more and see if it's a good fit. I haven't had a roommate for a long time, but I'm not sure that I want to put the cash down for a place to myself considering we'll probably be in school or out busy so often. Financing is scaring me as well. Are you talking to your private bank? I'm considering that, as well as Sallie Mae.

I'm doing a dual degree at IE, so I'll have an extra year to pick up the language. I think the extra year also makes it even more important for me to try to learn Spanish as I'll be in Madrid for awhile. I'm definitely going to be looking for a roommate(s) so we can PM about that one to see if its a good fit. I haven't officially accepted my offer yet, but apparently when you do you get access to student boards to connect you with others looking for roommates and tips on finding places...have you checked it out? But I agree, its still early.

As for financing I'm looking at a combo of a line of credit and student loans from the Cnd government. And fingers crossed, a scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just paid the security deposit to hold my spot last week. I got an email saying I'll receive access to the online campus by mid-April. Are you doing a master in finance with the IMBA? I have a friend at IE now doing a masters in finance. He said it's incredibly demanding! I know some good Spanish programs if you're interested. Some are free, some aren't.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Viator wrote:
I just paid the security deposit to hold my spot last week. I got an email saying I'll receive access to the online campus by mid-April. Are you doing a master in finance with the IMBA? I have a friend at IE now doing a masters in finance. He said it's incredibly demanding! I know some good Spanish programs if you're interested. Some are free, some aren't.

I'm going to be doing the IMBA and the Masters in Market Research & Consumer Behaviour. It sounds like there is a bit of overlap between the 2 and that I can be exempt from a couple of course in the MRCB which will be nice since that's the second part of the program.

I just download duolingo, but would love any suggestions people have on Spanish programs. I attempted RosettaStone for French years ago, but gave up pretty quickly. I definitely have more incentive to commit this time around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
tmd8on wrote:
Viator wrote:

How about all of you?

Bro...what options do you have at Canada to finance the MBA? Are you going to be looking at applying for the IE Loan with Banco Sabadell?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Assman wrote:
tmd8on wrote:
Viator wrote:

How about all of you?

Bro...what options do you have at Canada to finance the MBA? Are you going to be looking at applying for the IE Loan with Banco Sabadell?

Assman - Are you Canadian? If so check out your provincial government's student assistance programs like OSAP. Also, banks such as CIBC offer med/law/business school masters students lines of credit that you can look into.

Also, I'm not sure where your assumption that I'm a guy originated, but I'm going to correct you on that one.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wish I was from Canadia! In Aus, the govt doesn't loan money for post-grad studies overseas, but they do give welfare to people who sit on their asses and do nothing! The system ain't designed for me!

I need to start calling up the banks!

BTW - I call everyone bro :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Hi,
I got the admit mail for Nov-14 intake few days back.
Is there any community on facebook for for students planning to join ??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tmd8on wrote:
Viator wrote:

I'm going to be doing the IMBA and the Masters in Market Research & Consumer Behaviour. It sounds like there is a bit of overlap between the 2 and that I can be exempt from a couple of course in the MRCB which will be nice since that's the second part of the program.

I just download duolingo, but would love any suggestions people have on Spanish programs. I attempted RosettaStone for French years ago, but gave up pretty quickly. I definitely have more incentive to commit this time around.

Sorry for such a late reply. Rosetta Stone is good for vocab building and listening comp, but it's more suited to be a supplementary asset than a comprehensive program. I used it for Korean and Mandarin, but I didn't find it that effective. Here are some good programs/books:

1) FSI (foreign service institute): https://www.fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Spanish%20Basic

FSI is BY FAR the most comprehensive program that can take you the closet possible to functional fluency. It's not for the fainthearted though. You'll need to use it diligently to get through it. It's also free content as it was paid for by US tax dollars. It's repetitive, but it burns the language into your being. If you finish this program properly you'll be at a very high-intermediate/low-advanced level ready for native sources (t.v., radio, etc).

2) Michel Thomas. Pretty good program to get started with in a language. Easy to use while commuting, etc.

3) Pimsleur Courses. They're really expensive. You may be able to find them in a local library. They help you with pronunciation and I still remember Russian sentences from doing some lessons from 8 years ago. It just gets in your brain. Also easy to use while commuting.

4) Practice Makes Perfect Books Series. https://www.amazon.com/Practice-Perfect-Spanish-Tenses-Edition/dp/0071639306/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396412492&sr=8-2&keywords=practice+makes+perfect The verb tenses book is especially good.

I hope some of that helps. FSI is quite intense. If you don't have the time and will for that program, then the other two can at least get you to a level to get by in Spain. Also look into podcasts.
IE Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello All,

It's been two weeks since my first interview, and I just received a mail informing me about a second interview (date to be scheduled).
I'm wondering if any of you on this forum attended a second interview? If so, please share insights!

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Everyone!

I had a formal interview with IE yesterday for Nov '14. Did others get interviewed by the admissions department or by a representative not on the admissions committee?

Hope everyone is having fun practicing Spanish :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I had a formal interview in Tokyo (they have a rep office here) the other day and am not quite sure how well I did...
They say they'd revert to me in two weeks, but did anyone receive an email from the Admissions earlier than that?
I sent the application package in early March and received a reply quite quick, perhaps in a week or so, and hopefully
they would do the same this time.
Just can't wait that long with so much anxiety...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hydeaki wrote:
Hi everyone,

I had a formal interview in Tokyo (they have a rep office here) the other day and am not quite sure how well I did...
They say they'd revert to me in two weeks, but did anyone receive an email from the Admissions earlier than that?
I sent the application package in early March and received a reply quite quick, perhaps in a week or so, and hopefully
they would do the same this time.
Just can't wait that long with so much anxiety...

I heard back in 3 business days, so it is definitely possible to hear back earlier. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts