GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NTU R1 admit application experience - class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
NTU R1 admit application experience - class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 20:54

NTU R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

Our forum members, Shubrat and Gagoosh recently got accepted at NTU in Round 1. They accepted our invitation to interact with the new applicants, share their insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.

If you have any questions about the application process of NTU, now is your chance to get them clarified by posting your questions here in this topic.
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
Re: NTU R1 admit application experience - class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 21:08
Hello Shubrat, thanks for taking the time out to help applicants.

My question: For someone who has not had much socially responsible activities to showcase, how would you advise I approach this section of the essays? I presume this is the case for most of engineers who have not had such experiences.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 10:37
Hi Shreekanth,

Glad to help! With the socially responsible activities, you have to dig deep into the extra curricular or life activities you have done. I know for a lot of professionals it may be hard to think of, but generally most people have some experiences that have positively affected the community. Any volunteering or helping with charities would be great. The university asks this question not to check if you are a "good" person but more to ensure that the admitted class is well rounded and will make a positive impact in society.

Thanks,
Shubrat

ShreekanthAcharya wrote:

My question: For someone who has not had much socially responsible activities to showcase, how would you advise I approach this section of the essays? I presume this is the case for most of engineers who have not had such experiences.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 11:16
[quote="Shubrat"]Hi Shreekanth,

Glad to help! With the socially responsible activities, you have to dig deep into the extra curricular or life activities you have done. I know for a lot of professionals it may be hard to think of, but generally most people have some experiences that have positively affected the community. Any volunteering or helping with charities would be great. The university asks this question not to check if you are a "good" person but more to ensure that the admitted class is well rounded and will make a positive impact in society.

Thanks,
Shubrat

[quote="ShreekanthAcharya"]Hello Shubrat, thanks for taking the time out to help applicants.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size][/quote][/quote]

Thanks for your reply. I should have rephrased my question. What I meant was - what do you advise someone writing this part when he/she does not have a clearly quantifiable volunteering/charity events. For example: Do you think that it is a decent fit to mention a mentoring program within an organisation/ collaborative initiatives within workspace, since even workplaces also somewhat represent a community albeit a rather small one? Or are the socially responsible activities strictly outside the line of your professional life?
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Other

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 20:57
ShreekanthAcharya wrote:
Shubrat wrote:
Hi Shreekanth,

Thanks,
Shubrat

ShreekanthAcharya wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I should have rephrased my question. What I meant was - what do you advise someone writing this part when he/she does not have a clearly quantifiable volunteering/charity events. For example: Do you think that it is a decent fit to mention a mentoring program within an organisation/ collaborative initiatives within workspace, since even workplaces also somewhat represent a community albeit a rather small one? Or are the socially responsible activities strictly outside the line of your professional life?

Hi Mate,

Although the question is not for me, I am taking the liberty to answer it.
I was also not associated with any quantifiable event, and my activity was also not anywhere close to my professional life.
Thankfully, NTU understands this and doesn't demand you to present a quantifiable evidence of your activities. The idea behind that question is just to gauge your willingness to contribute to the society in whichever way you can :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 22:04
Gagoosh, Thanks pal!! I get the context now. I feel that it is more about how you are as a person outside your work-life and what your learning from such experiences are.

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 23:31
Gagoosh wrote:
Hi Mate,

Although the question is not for me, I am taking the liberty to answer it.
I was also not associated with any quantifiable event, and my activity was also not anywhere close to my professional life.
Thankfully, NTU understands this and doesn't demand you to present a quantifiable evidence of your activities. The idea behind that question is just to gauge your willingness to contribute to the society in whichever way you can :)

Gagoosh

Thank you for your answer. I've included your name in the main post. Feel free to take on questions here.
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 09:14
Hi Shreekanth,

I agree with the answer above, NTU is really looking for the willingness to give back to the community and whether you are involved in activities outside of your own career/interests. If you are part of any mentorship or groups at work, that can be framed towards this question as well.

Thanks,
Shubrat

ShreekanthAcharya wrote:
Shubrat wrote:
Hi Shreekanth,

Thanks,
Shubrat

ShreekanthAcharya wrote:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 10:13
Thanks Shubrat! This has given me the much needed clarity. I was wondering whether activities such as Toastmasters count for this question. I guess the onus is on the applicant to articulate the impact one has created through such events.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Other

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 20:35
ShreekanthAcharya wrote:
Thanks Shubrat! This has given me the much needed clarity. I was wondering whether activities such as Toastmasters count for this question. I guess the onus is on the applicant to articulate the impact one has created through such events.

Now a days, many organisations are involved in blood donation drives, beat diabetes awareness camps, or cancer marathons. Also, many companies in India and abroad are involved in creating relief funds for disasters such as Kerala Floods. If you were associated in any of these, I think your participation would have more impact. Again, just a thought!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: NTU R1 admit application experience - class of 2021   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2019, 20:35

NTU R1 admit application experience - class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: GmatDaddy