It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 12:06
Thanks for your opinions.

Yes, at this point, I am still waiting and I will not reject myself from the waitlist. I believe some people here misunderstood me. I have never asked "why people want to join NYU" or said "NYU is not good". Come on... everyone knows in fact that Langone is the best part-time MBA school in NYC. If not, why I bother to apply and join this forum for discussion.

The reason I posted my last message was because I want to let others know that Langone does share our information with EMBA and for any reason if you want to move your application to EMBA at this point(assuming if you are OK with the tuition), it is possible. They may call you and you should find out sponsorship information from your company if you are interested.

Last edited by mbanewyorker on 29 Jul 2008, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 12:06
silentObserver wrote:
Just got my email. Dinged. :cry: :cry: :cry:

profile: M-I-T
680/3.8
Age 28. 5 WE in Medical Technolgy Field. (recently promoted to a project manager)
Recos: Excellent.
application: On the last date. 3rd Essay not creative.
Weekend Only.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck on your other apps or for Spring/Fall '09.

Some food for thought for "Weekend only" folks who are waiting to hear...

From the recent trend of Weekend/Weeknight option folks getting admitted to their 2nd choice of Weeknights coupled with the loong wait (or still worse, dings) of Weekend only folks, I think it may be worthwhile to evaluate if Weekenight is a viable option for you. If it is, it might be a good idea to contact adcom to see if you can add it as your second choice. Of course, you will have a good amount of explaining to do as to why you want to make this change now and why it took you so long to request this change. And, the reasoning should not contradict anything you have already mentioned in the submitted app.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 12:10
mbanewyorker wrote:
I got a call from NYU EMBA admission director. She told me that Langone admission director showed her a list of candidates that may fit into EMBA program. She suggested me to move my application from Langone waitlist to their program. She said I am a good fit for the EMBA program.

I had a long discussion with my boss and planned out my schedule for the year. I actually got an OK from him to take every other Fri. off. However, based on our HR policy, we don't sponsor EMBA.... I can't justify to pay 140k for this program while I can join Fordham for zero. =(

Good luck for everyone who are still waiting!!!

Could you please share your profile?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 12:12
silentObserver wrote:
Just got my email. Dinged.

680/3.8
Age 28. 5 WE in Medical Technolgy Field. (recently promoted to a project manager)

Try spring....good GMAT for spring....Althou i've not heard anything I have started my preparations for spring and this time I'm going to apply to other colleges....I was talking a STERN Alumni who is very familiar with the admissions process and he explained there are mulitplie rounds for many applications. So making this far seems to be a decent acheivement esp for border line candidates.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 12:33
pkmba wrote:
mbanewyorker wrote:
I got a call from NYU EMBA admission director. She told me that Langone admission director showed her a list of candidates that may fit into EMBA program. She suggested me to move my application from Langone waitlist to their program. She said I am a good fit for the EMBA program.

I had a long discussion with my boss and planned out my schedule for the year. I actually got an OK from him to take every other Fri. off. However, based on our HR policy, we don't sponsor EMBA.... I can't justify to pay 140k for this program while I can join Fordham for zero. =(

Good luck for everyone who are still waiting!!!

Could you please share your profile?

The EMBA program actually sounds very impressive to me too. Their admission director is very nice and she was willing to speak with me on the phone. She told me 80% of their students pay for the tuition themselves. If you want to stay in your current profession and you have enough working experience, EMBA maybe another option for you. Anyway, here is my profile.

mbanewyorker
-gmat: 620 (Q:49, V: 27)
-undergrad gpa: 3.12 (CS major)
-grad gpa: 3.8 (CS major, with with graduate citation)
-12 Years of work experience (IT consultant; IT manager; Currently working at a big investment bank as a senior network security analyst/ global leader, a lot of global experience with counterparts worldwide. I believe I have good career progression. My salary has increased 5x since I started my career.)
-company 100% sponsor for mba
-promotion and event coordinator at a Chinese Kung Fu club
-professional certifications: CISSP, CISA, MCSE, CCNA, SCSA, CNE, PCLP

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 13:57
One thing that is interesting about the database is that the # of people in it actually goes down. It was at 328 last night and earlier today. At 4:45 today, it was at 326. Because I've been tracking the people admitted, I've noticed that this happens quite often. What I think is happening is the database admin enters people when they are accepted and then deletes them if they decide not to attend for whatever reason. Maybe the finances didn't work out. Maybe they were going to be fly in students but got in to Chicago so went there instead. Maybe they bought in to WhyLangone's negativity. Maybe it was something else. For whatever reason, the database decreased in number. Then, at 5:10 when I checked, it was 339. So, basically they delete the people that are not matriculating, then add the new admits. So 13 people were accepted today, not 11.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons!

Last edited by CFACharterholder22 on 29 Jul 2008, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 14:17
I just received my financial aid package by email today and registered for classes. Does anyone have any good advice regarding the selection of a credit agency for an unsubsidized Stafford Loan?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 15:27
mbaatbigapple wrote:
silentObserver wrote:
Just got my email. Dinged. :cry: :cry: :cry:

680/3.8
Weekend Only.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck on your other apps or for Spring/Fall '09.

Some food for thought for "Weekend only" folks who are waiting to hear...

From the recent trend of Weekend/Weeknight option folks getting admitted to their 2nd choice of Weeknights coupled with the loong wait (or still worse, dings) of Weekend only folks, I think it may be worthwhile to evaluate if Weekenight is a viable option for you. If it is, it might be a good idea to contact adcom to see if you can add it as your second choice. Of course, you will have a good amount of explaining to do as to why you want to make this change now and why it took you so long to request this change. And, the reasoning should not contradict anything you have already mentioned in the submitted app.

Good idea, but chances are it's going to be hard to "not" contradict the reasoning we stated in the application. Chances are, if you did a good job at it, you made a pretty compelling case as to why you want to do Weekend only - better case you made, harder it will be to flip-flop.

This situation is kinda BS though because in the application it clearly states that choosing Weekday, or Weekend will have no bearing on the admission at all.

Regarding EMBA, as somoone posted above, there are definiltey companies who pay for PT, but not EMBA, my company being one of them. This also is BS, because there really is not much difference between EMBA, and PT program but many companies think there is. If I were doing EMBA though, I'd go for Columbia EMBA rather than NYU EMBA.

Last edited by yubjun on 29 Jul 2008, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 15:28
NYU likes me....but only enough to put me on the waitlist :(

Thanks to all who have offered support and advice. I am gonna have to take a few days to think about my options. Thank God for the backup school :)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 15:30
jerseygirl wrote:

Thanks to all who have offered support and advice. I am gonna have to take a few days to think about my options. Thank God for the backup school :)

Oh congrats for getting a result back! At least you got some response, and it was not a ding!

I wonder what wait-listed people can do to increase their chances, if it is even possible..

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 16:01
yubjun wrote:
jerseygirl wrote:

Oh congrats for getting a result back! At least you got some response, and it was not a ding!

I wonder what wait-listed people can do to increase their chances, if it is even possible..

FYI - from NYU waitlist FAQ:

Can I get feedback on my application? Can I find out which specific parts of my application I need to strengthen?
The Admissions Committee looks favorably upon candidates who show self-awareness. We do not provide specific feedback on individual applications. We encourage you to assess your application and identify possible areas of improvement independently. Please keep in mind that the admissions process at NYU Stern is holistic and competitive. For ways to strengthen your application while on the waitlist, please see below.

Should I try to strengthen my application at this point? How?
The Admissions Committee appreciates relevant additions and updates to your application. New information should only be submitted when it provides a different or updated perspective for the Committee. We assume that you provided complete and current information when you submitted your application, but we also realize that some time has passed and circumstances may have changed. New information about employment or updated test scores can enhance your qualifications and demonstrate your continued commitment to attending NYU Stern. If you plan to retake the GMAT or TOEFL, please notify us in writing with your test date, and send or fax us the unofficial copy of your scores after you take the exam.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 16:06
mbanewyorker wrote:

FYI - from NYU waitlist FAQ:

Can I get feedback on my application? Can I find out which specific parts of my application I need to strengthen?
The Admissions Committee looks favorably upon candidates who show self-awareness. We do not provide specific feedback on individual applications. We encourage you to assess your application and identify possible areas of improvement independently. Please keep in mind that the admissions process at NYU Stern is holistic and competitive. For ways to strengthen your application while on the waitlist, please see below.

Should I try to strengthen my application at this point? How?
The Admissions Committee appreciates relevant additions and updates to your application. New information should only be submitted when it provides a different or updated perspective for the Committee. We assume that you provided complete and current information when you submitted your application, but we also realize that some time has passed and circumstances may have changed. New information about employment or updated test scores can enhance your qualifications and demonstrate your continued commitment to attending NYU Stern. If you plan to retake the GMAT or TOEFL, please notify us in writing with your test date, and send or fax us the unofficial copy of your scores after you take the exam.

Well, bribery comes to mind, LOL :lol:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 16:12
Guys,

I have been put on the waitlist. My first choice was weekends. It does appear that the choice of weekend/weeknights does matter and that there is more competition for weekends due to less no. of seats available.

Good luck to all who have not heard back yet.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 16:25
yubjun wrote:
Good idea, but chances are it's going to be hard to "not" contradict the reasoning we stated in the application. Chances are, if you did a good job at it, you made a pretty compelling case as to why you want to do Weekend only - better case you made, harder it will be to flip-flop.

This situation is kinda BS though because in the application it clearly states that choosing Weekday, or Weekend will have no bearing on the admission at all.

I sorta agree with you. I do NOT want to have another discussion with my manager over the school hours.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 18:04
hi all,

for those admitted who are waiting on the status of the verification process, i just received an email from decisions@stern.nyu.edu that said the following within the email:

"Welcome to the NYU Stern Langone Program! We have received your
enrollment deposit and your verification process has been satisfactorily
completed. We are thrilled that you are part of our community."

i thought that they would change my status on the status page, but they didn't (it still only says "we are in receipt of your enrollment deposit") so you shouldn't even bother with checking the status page for it. just be on the lookout for an email from decisions@stern.nyu.edu.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 18:08
Hey NYUo8, when did you get your NETID? I am still waiting for mine. Can you register before you get your KROLL verification, can you register and find out your Core group as soon as you get your netid?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 18:26
metiko wrote:
Hey NYUo8, when did you get your NETID? I am still waiting for mine. Can you register before you get your KROLL verification, can you register and find out your Core group as soon as you get your netid?

hi there,

i got my netID early in the process -- probably a week after i was accepted (i was accepted on may 28th). and yes, you can definitely register before you get your status regarding kroll (i registered last week and just received this email today). i'm sure you will be able to register and find out your core group as soon as you get your netID. when i got my netID, the registration page wasn't up yet so i couldn't do anything. but i already knew my core group since there is only one group for the weekend option (go red!).

on another note, i have 2 more questions for the admits:
--has anyone received the health forms yet in the mail?
--has anyone started or finished the quantitative assessment test? (i'm assuming it isn't something i need to study for, but i could be wrong.)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 18:47
I haven't got the health records yet. Still waiting.
I did the exam a couple of weeks ago and it is extremely easy. GOt 100% without studying. Definetly easier than the gmat.

When did you submit the kroll papers? I am still waiting, and i cannot wait to finish with all this paperwork.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 18:51
nyu08 wrote:
but i already knew my core group since there is only one group for the weekend option (go red!).

on another note, i have 2 more questions for the admits:
--has anyone received the health forms yet in the mail?

I don't think they're automatically sending out the Health Forms to all admits. I had to call them to have them send it to me. Someone else in this forum (I guess, Tenore) also had to call them to get it. You might want to give them a call.

And I am on the Weekends too. Go RED!!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:04
I didn't get the health form in the mail, but stopped by the student health center and picked one up on my own...just mailed it back today (Although it's not due until 8/15, I had to be proactive as I'm heading out of town on business all next week...it requires an MD signature regarding vaccination status).

I was planning on studying for the math test, but since you're not timed, and you can enter and exit the test as often as you like (saving your answers as you go), I decided to take a look at it on Sunday just to see what I should study for. The first couple questions were so easy I just started answering them and ended up finishing and easily passing Sunday afternoon. I had to look up a couple things (didn't remember the equation for calculating compound interest, and I haven't calculated a derivative for probably 15 years, so I needed a quick refresher), but it was not painful at all. If you've had any math recently, you'll pass without studying; if you've been out and working for 10+ years (like me), it may take you an extra 30 minutes or so.

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2008, 19:04

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  60    Next  [ 1200 posts ] 

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap