It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Observatory director: Some say that funding the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 1

Observatory director: Some say that funding the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2008, 08:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:38) correct 32% (01:40) wrong based on 170 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Observatory director: Some say that funding the megatelescope will benefit only the astronomers who will work with it. This dangerous point of view, applied to the work of Maxwell, Newton, or Einstein, would have stifled their research and deprived the world of beneficial applications, such as the development of radio, that followed from that research.

If the statements above are put forward as an argument in favor of development of the megatelescope, which one of the following is the strongest criticism of that argument?

(A) It appeals to the authority of experts who cannot have known all the issues involved in construction of the megatelescope.

(B) It does not identify those opposed to development of the megatelescope.

(C) It launches a personal attack on opponents of the megatelescope by accusing them of having a dangerous point of view.

(D) It does not distinguish between the economic and the intellectual sense of “benefit.”

(E) It does not show that the proposed megatelescope research is worthy of comparison with that of eminent scientists in its potential for applications.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 11 Jul 2017, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question, OA added

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Observatory director: Some say that funding the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2008, 09:39
(d) because the point of view is based on a few examples, and none of which pertain to funding / economic

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2008, 13:50
Vavali wrote:
Observatory director: Some say that funding the megatelescope will benefit only the astronomers who will work with it. This dangerous point of view, applied to the work of Maxwell, Newton, or Einstein, would have stifled their research and deprived the world of beneficial applications, such as the development of radio, that followed from that research.
If the statements above are put forward as an argument in favor of development of the megatelescope, which one of the following is the strongest criticism of that argument?
(A) It appeals to the authority of experts who cannot have known all the issues involved in construction of the megatelescope.
(C) It launches a personal attack on opponents of the megatelescope by accusing them of having a dangerous point of view.
(D) It does not distinguish between the economic and the intellectual sense of “benefit.”
(E) It does not show that the proposed megatelescope research is worthy of comparison with that of eminent scientists in its potential for applications.

Going with E on this one.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2008, 16:45
spider wrote:
Vavali wrote:

Going with E on this one.

Yes, I agree. E should be the answer. The comparison should have any basis.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2008, 17:01
I think E makes more sense..

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2008, 16:51
One more E.

Whats OA Vavali?

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2008, 17:41
OA is E

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2012, 07:55
can someone please go over each choice and explain the reasoning?

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2012, 08:37
E

We have to criticism the arugment in favor of development of the megatelescope

--> Out of scope (not discussing issues involved in construction)

--> Out of scope (we dont have to identify any1)

--> Not a personal attack

--> Not a correct comparision

--> Correct comparision

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2012, 12:08
Yes, I agree. E should be the answer. 8-)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2012, 00:09
found the argument complex, selected E

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 31

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 679

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 00:47
Some say that funding the megatelescope will benefit only the astronomers who will work with it. This dangerous point of view, applied to the work of Maxwell, Newton, or Einstein, would have stifled their research and deprived the world of beneficial applications, such as the development of radio, that followed from that research.
Can someone explain Why E?
I went for D - radio is a beneficial application, which is economic. So as it (argument for building something) cannot differentiate between what the benefit is, why should it be supported? Also, the argument starts with saying "funding the megatelescope will benefit only the astronomers who will work with it" - so this may mean some kind of benefit restricted to them ONLY. D attacks that saying it cannot describe any particular benefit from it - for instance if it demonstrate an economic benefit why would it be ignored?
(E) It does not show that the proposed megatelescope research is worthy of comparison with that of eminent scientists in its potential for applications. (The example of scientists is given as parallel examples of research tied to development of radio - and we don't know what the application of the research may have been - all we know is that the research from these had economic benefits)
Would appreciate any thoughts on this!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 679

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 14:34
Madhavi1990 wrote:
Some say that funding the megatelescope will benefit only the astronomers who will work with it. This dangerous point of view, applied to the work of Maxwell, Newton, or Einstein, would have stifled their research and deprived the world of beneficial applications, such as the development of radio, that followed from that research.
Can someone explain Why E?
I went for D - radio is a beneficial application, which is economic. So as it (argument for building something) cannot differentiate between what the benefit is, why should it be supported? Also, the argument starts with saying "funding the megatelescope will benefit only the astronomers who will work with it" - so this may mean some kind of benefit restricted to them ONLY. D attacks that saying it cannot describe any particular benefit from it - for instance if it demonstrate an economic benefit why would it be ignored?
(E) It does not show that the proposed megatelescope research is worthy of comparison with that of eminent scientists in its potential for applications. (The example of scientists is given as parallel examples of research tied to development of radio - and we don't know what the application of the research may have been - all we know is that the research from these had economic benefits)
Would appreciate any thoughts on this!

well, B,C,D are out of scope. A refers to a different flaw. E is left.
this type of question often appears in gmat prep, but I forgot the identity of the type of this question.

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 14:37
hello, which type of this question should I call?
Weaken, assumption, or a flaw?

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 15:52
chesstitans wrote:

I'd say this most closely resembles a flaw question; then again, I don't believe that properly identifying question types is the key to success (refer to section called "The real reason why you’re missing CR questions" in the Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners).

Also, this is an LSAT question, so if the question type is tricky to pin down, I wouldn't worry too much.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 23:43
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

I'd say this most closely resembles a flaw question; then again, I don't believe that properly identifying question types is the key to success (refer to section called "The real reason why you’re missing CR questions" in the Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners).

Also, this is an LSAT question, so if the question type is tricky to pin down, I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks, now I know this is an LSAT question.
Also, I understand that you need to get the actual message from the argument in a critical way. Nevertheless, since there are too many details, we need a system or a method to attack the argument.

Re: Observatory director: Some say that funding the   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 23:43

Observatory director: Some say that funding the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap