Last visit was: 15 Jul 2024, 00:45 It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 00:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94342
Own Kudos [?]: 640893 [7]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1048
Own Kudos [?]: 1797 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2456
Own Kudos [?]: 1369 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1048
Own Kudos [?]: 1797 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
Mo2men wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?

A. 70,000
B. 69,200
C. 70,800
D. 69,120
E. 69,080


As the calculation seems relatively straightforward, we'll just do it.
This is a Precise approach.

The total revenue is the average price of sold tickets * # of tickets sold.
This is $10 * (7000 - 80) = 69,200

(B) is our answer.


Hi David,

How is the highlighted above reflected in your calculation?


Hi Mo2men,

It isn't.
I'm pretty sure this is a trick question... let's wait for the OA.

Breaking it down into 3 groups would be
1) 80 tickets at $0
2) 3460 tickets at average of all tickets +10%
3) 3460 tickets at who knows need to calculate
But since the average of 2) and 3) is $10, there is no need to calculate.

Note the word games between 'average price of sold tickets' and 'average price'.
TBH, took me a while to notice this. I assume this is what makes the question hard.
SVP
SVP
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2456
Own Kudos [?]: 1369 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

It isn't.
I'm pretty sure this is a trick question... let's wait for the OA.

Breaking it down into 3 groups would be
1) 80 tickets at $0
2) 3460 tickets at average of all tickets +10%
3) 3460 tickets at who knows need to calculate
But since the average of 2) and 3) is $10, there is no need to calculate.

Note the word games between 'average price of sold tickets' and 'average price'.
TBH, took me a while to notice this. I assume this is what makes the question hard.



Can you elaborate more please your idea?
examPAL Representative
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1048
Own Kudos [?]: 1797 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Mo2men wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

It isn't.
I'm pretty sure this is a trick question... let's wait for the OA.

Breaking it down into 3 groups would be
1) 80 tickets at $0
2) 3460 tickets at average of all tickets +10%
3) 3460 tickets at who knows need to calculate
But since the average of 2) and 3) is $10, there is no need to calculate.

Note the word games between 'average price of sold tickets' and 'average price'.
TBH, took me a while to notice this. I assume this is what makes the question hard.



Can you elaborate more please your idea?



I'll try. Tell me if there is something specific you don't understand / agree with?

Usually, to calculate the revenue you'd divide the tickets into different price groups and multiply by the price per ticket in each group.
For example, if you had 5 tickets at $1 and 5 tickets at $2 then the revenue would be 1*5 + 2*5 = 15.

In this case, when you first read the question the instinct is to divide the tickets into 3 groups:
1) tickets that weren't sold. There are 80 of these and each generated $0 of revenue
2) 50% of the tickets that were sold. This is (7000 - 80)/2 = 3460 tickets. These were sold at "10% higher than the average price".
3) the other 50% of tickets that were sold - so another 3460 tickets. We have no information on the selling price of these tickets.

Creating an equation with the above 3 groups would give:
revenue = 80*0 + 3460*(average + 10%) + 3460*(unknown number)
Using this: "average price of the sold tickets is $10"
we can solve the above equation but it isn't fun.

Alternatively, we can divide all the tickets in the question into two groups:
1) this is the same as above - tickets that weren't sold. Each gives $0 of revenue.
2) all the tickets that were sold - a total of 6920 tickets. Each gives $10 on average of revenue.
So, our total revenue is 80*0 + 6920*10 = 69,200.

This is a trick question because the entire middle part of the prompt - "and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price."
is useless and misleading. If the question were instead:
"Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?"
It would be much easier, wouldn't it?

Hope that helps!
SVP
SVP
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2456
Own Kudos [?]: 1369 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

It isn't.
I'm pretty sure this is a trick question... let's wait for the OA.

Breaking it down into 3 groups would be
1) 80 tickets at $0
2) 3460 tickets at average of all tickets +10%
3) 3460 tickets at who knows need to calculate
But since the average of 2) and 3) is $10, there is no need to calculate.

Note the word games between 'average price of sold tickets' and 'average price'.
TBH, took me a while to notice this. I assume this is what makes the question hard.



Can you elaborate more please your idea?



I'll try. Tell me if there is something specific you don't understand / agree with?

Usually, to calculate the revenue you'd divide the tickets into different price groups and multiply by the price per ticket in each group.
For example, if you had 5 tickets at $1 and 5 tickets at $2 then the revenue would be 1*5 + 2*5 = 15.

In this case, when you first read the question the instinct is to divide the tickets into 3 groups:
1) tickets that weren't sold. There are 80 of these and each generated $0 of revenue
2) 50% of the tickets that were sold. This is (7000 - 80)/2 = 3460 tickets. These were sold at "10% higher than the average price".
3) the other 50% of tickets that were sold - so another 3460 tickets. We have no information on the selling price of these tickets.

Creating an equation with the above 3 groups would give:
revenue = 80*0 + 3460*(average + 10%) + 3460*(unknown number)
Using this: "average price of the sold tickets is $10"
we can solve the above equation but it isn't fun.

Alternatively, we can divide all the tickets in the question into two groups:
1) this is the same as above - tickets that weren't sold. Each gives $0 of revenue.
2) all the tickets that were sold - a total of 6920 tickets. Each gives $10 on average of revenue.
So, our total revenue is 80*0 + 6920*10 = 69,200.

This is a trick question because the entire middle part of the prompt - "and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price."
is useless and misleading. If the question were instead:
"Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?"
It would be much easier, wouldn't it?

Hope that helps!


Thanks David,

I thought 10 % of the average price = 10% of 10 = 11

If I follow my assumption above it would end up = 10 * 3460 + 11 * 3460 = 72,660 which does not exist in the answer choices. :oops:

So I agree with your explanation.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Oct 2017
Posts: 44
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 435
Location: Canada
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?

A. 70,000
B. 69,200
C. 70,800
D. 69,120
E. 69,080



We are told that there are 7000 concert tickets. If 80 are unsold, then there are 6920 sold tickets.
50% of 6920 = 3460 tickets

First 50% were sold at 10% higher than average price.
That means, 3460 tickets were sold at $11 dollars because the average price is $10 and 10% more than $10 is $11.
Therefore, 3460 x 11 = 38, 060

Other 50% of sold tickets i.e. remaining 3460 tickets, were sold at 10% LOWER than average price. THIS IS THE KEY WORD.
If half were sold at 10% more, then the other half obviously is sold at 10% less, so we have
3460 x 9 = 31,140
Why 9? (because 10% less than average of $10 is $9)

SO TOTAL REVENUE: 38,060 + 31,140 = 69, 200

ANSWER: B
SVP
SVP
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2456
Own Kudos [?]: 1369 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
aanjumz92 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?

A. 70,000
B. 69,200
C. 70,800
D. 69,120
E. 69,080



We are told that there are 7000 concert tickets. If 80 are unsold, then there are 6920 sold tickets.
50% of 6920 = 3460 tickets

First 50% were sold at 10% higher than average price.
That means, 3460 tickets were sold at $11 dollars because the average price is $10 and 10% more than $10 is $11.
Therefore, 3460 x 11 = 38, 060

Other 50% of sold tickets i.e. remaining 3460 tickets, were sold at 10% LOWER than average price. THIS IS THE KEY WORD.
If half were sold at 10% more, then the other half obviously is sold at 10% less, so we have
3460 x 9 = 31,140
Why 9? (because 10% less than average of $10 is $9)

SO TOTAL REVENUE: 38,060 + 31,140 = 69, 200

ANSWER: B



From where did you get this assumption that other half sold less than 10%? It could possible that half sold at same price and other with 10% higher.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 434
Own Kudos [?]: 450 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
Location: Malaysia
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?

A. 70,000
B. 69,200
C. 70,800
D. 69,120
E. 69,080


The highlighted part is a Tricky. \(It says that the 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price - Here, the average price is not $10. Note that $10 is average price of sold tickets only\). Someone posted above that 80 tickets that weren't sold are of $0 value, this is wrong assumption. It might be that those 80 tickets were very expensive. So, its just a simple calculation of the total tickets sold i.e. 6920*10 = 69,200
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 41
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
Bunuel

Can you please provide the O.E
Director
Director
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 776
Own Kudos [?]: 458 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Location: India
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?

A. 70,000
B. 69,200
C. 70,800
D. 69,120
E. 69,080


We dint need to calculate here anything the fact that average price of the sold tickets = 10

How many tickets were sold = 7000 - 80 = 6920

Average = Revenue / Number of tickets sold

Revenue = 69200
VP
VP
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 1161
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
Location: United States (KS)
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones that were sold, 50 percent were sold at 10 percent higher than the average price. If the average price of the sold tickets is $10 what is the total revenue?

A. 70,000
B. 69,200
C. 70,800
D. 69,120
E. 69,080


As the calculation seems relatively straightforward, we'll just do it.
This is a Precise approach.

The total revenue is the average price of sold tickets * # of tickets sold.
This is $10 * (7000 - 80) = 69,200

(B) is our answer.


I took 2 minutes and got the right answer. But after reading this solution I feel so dumb :-P
Thanks David :)
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33969
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of 7,000 concert tickets, 80 tickets were not sold and of the ones tha [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94342 posts