Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [79]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [12]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [6]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
gtr022001 wrote:
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.

(A) maybe none is more concentrated as

(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as

(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated than

(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated than

(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

Concepts tested here: Tenses + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.
• "more A than B" is the correct, idiomatic comparison.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "is" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "more A as B"; remember, "more A than B" is the correct, idiomatic comparison.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "is" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "more A as B"; remember, "more A than B" is the correct, idiomatic comparison. Additionally, Option B uses the passive voice construction "it may be that none is", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "is" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option C uses the passive voice construction "it is none that is", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice uses the passive voice construction "it is none that was", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verb "was" to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Further, Option E correctly uses the idiomatic construction "more A than B". Additionally, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [4]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than

Say option C is "perhaps it was none that was more concentrated than" - I believe tense wise it is correct. correct me if wrong

Guys my question is what's wrong with C,D(purely from IT prospective). as the explanation tells for sentences like 'It is clear that'...IT acts as a place holder . How different is the current construction.

Gurus can u please put some laws where IT acts as a placeholder and where IT acts like a pronoun.

No points for guessing ans. (OG12/Q4)
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sujit2k7 wrote:
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than

Say option C is "perhaps it was none that was more concentrated than" - I believe tense wise it is correct. correct me if wrong

Guys my question is what's wrong with C,D(purely from IT prospective). as the explanation tells for sentences like 'It is clear that'...IT acts as a place holder . How different is the current construction.

Gurus can u please put some laws where IT acts as a placeholder and where IT acts like a pronoun.

No points for guessing ans. (OG12/Q4)

Your example "It is clear" is a perfectly logical (though I would be interested to see some examples from the OG where that construction is used). The issue with answers C & D has more to do with concision than pronouns. "it is none" and "none" have the same meaning (though you would argue that "it is none" is awkward). Since the meaning can be conveyed more concisely (and more clearly) with "none", you will eliminate the answer choices using "it is none".

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [0]
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
Your example "It is clear" is a perfectly logical (though I would be interested to see some examples from the OG where that construction is used). The issue with answers C & D has more to do with concision than pronouns. "it is none" and "none" have the same meaning (though you would argue that "it is none" is awkward). Since the meaning can be conveyed more concisely (and more clearly) with "none", you will eliminate the answer choices using "it is none".

KW

Thkx a lot for reply. Yes I do agree from concision point we can eliminate C,D.(Even I did the same).
But still i m not yet sure why for option C and D OG said IT does not have correct antecedent. My question is which are the cases where I should search for an antecedent of IT and which are the cases where i can ignore for checking pronoun issue.
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [3]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
lets draw an anlogy :

We want to say : Many answers were posted on the forums .................. not a single one was satisfactory

Putting it in Gmat form : Of all the answer posts that have swept through Gmatclub forum, .......................... ( What will we fill in the blank to complete the sentence in a logical way?) : lets check

B : ..............It may be that none is satisfactory

C : ..............It is none that is satisfactory

D : ..............It is none that was satisfactory

Does B / C / D at all makes sense ( keping aside Grammar rules / pronoun ambiguity / tense prob etc ) .........

Does it in any way appears / sounds better and can score over A n E

Guess NO = Thus B / C / D Elimination zone

Left with E n A : just a minor adjustment in tense ( Such as WAS in E ) will complete the logical flow

E : ..............None was satisfactory : WAS scores over IS
A : ..............None is satisfactory = Eliminated

Leading to E , my take
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sujit2k7 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

KW

Thkx a lot for reply. Yes I do agree from concision point we can eliminate C,D.(Even I did the same).
But still i m not yet sure why for option C and D OG said IT does not have correct antecedent. My question is which are the cases where I should search for an antecedent of IT and which are the cases where i can ignore for checking pronoun issue.

That is the explanation I would expect from the GMAT. For pronoun issues, the GMAT is surprisingly tolerant of pronoun ambiguity (having multiple possible antecedants but one most likely antecedant) but the GMAt doesn't like when no antecedant exists, like in this example. That is why I asked if you had OG examples where "it" was used as a placeholder. I'm not familiar with OG problems that used "it" without a recongizable antecedant.

When you see "it" in a sentence, you should check for the antecedant to see 1) if there is one 2) if it's logical 3) if it agrees in number. I woldn't worry about "it" as a placeholder.

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [0]
Send PM
@Kyle,
I got one example where OG uses IT as placeholder.(Correct me if wrong) OG12#52 .

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.

Also in the correct option D they are using IT as placeholder

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

Now Kyle my question still remains unanswered is there any structure where I can rest in peace that IT will not have any antecedent.

Waiting for ur valuable inputs.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [3]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
one event that occured in the past is being compared to all the events that have occured till now.
So the past event is denoted with a simple past . This past event (ie. one specific event that has occured in the past- that event that got 12 million immigrants) is compared to all the events until now( ie all the events in the past and all the events till now. so what tense is needed for an event has started in the past and is applicable even today? That is the reason why we denote all the other events in the present perfect!)

Consider a KUDOS if you find this post useful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos