GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1211
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2012, 10:26
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (02:20) correct 33% (02:29) wrong based on 229 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

First time I see this type of problems. Bunuel, please your help. Thanks!
Is there a link to know more about this efficiency problems?


Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must manufacture, 70 percent would be most e¢ ciently manufactured by Machine A and the remaining 30 percent would be most efficiently manufactured by Machine B, though either machine could manufacture any of the 50 components. If 36 percent of the components were manufactured by Machine A and the remainder were manufactured by Machine B, what is thehighest possible number of components that were manufactured by the machine that would manufacture them the most efficiently?
(A) 30
(B) 32
(C) 33
(D) 35
(E) 36

Source: Jeff Sackmannn problems - http://www.gmathacks.com

_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50016
Re: Work problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2012, 10:49
4
3
metallicafan wrote:
First time I see this type of problems. Bunuel, please your help. Thanks!
Is there a link to know more about this efficiency problems?


Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must manufacture, 70 percent would be most e¢ ciently manufactured by Machine A and the remaining 30 percent would be most efficiently manufactured by Machine B, though either machine could manufacture any of the 50 components. If 36 percent of the components were manufactured by Machine A and the remainder were manufactured by Machine B, what is thehighest possible number of components that were manufactured by the machine that would manufacture them the most efficiently?
(A) 30
(B) 32
(C) 33
(D) 35
(E) 36

Source: Jeff Sackmannn problems - http://www.gmathacks.com


The wording is a bit awkward, but anyway:

A can manufacture 50*70% = 35 components efficiently;
B can manufacture 50*30% = 15 components efficiently;

A actually manufactured 50*36% = 18 components (so all efficiently, since 35>18);
B actually manufactured 50-18 = 32 components, out of which 15 were manufacture efficiently;

# of components manufactured efficiently is 18+15=33.

Answer: C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1211
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2012, 11:22
Thank you bunuel!,
Is this a tipycal problem in the GMAT?, is there a link with theory or concepts to know more about them?
or just common sense?

Thanks!
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50016
Re: Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2012, 16:27
1
metallicafan wrote:
Thank you bunuel!,
Is this a tipycal problem in the GMAT?, is there a link with theory or concepts to know more about them?
or just common sense?

Thanks!


It's just a word problem, so I don't think that this question is from some specific field and that there is some specific theory on it.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50016
Re: Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 04:42
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 14
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Re: Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2013, 16:15
1
I think the wording could be changed a bit

Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must manufacture, 70 percent would be most efficiently manufactured by Machine A and the remaining 30 percent would be most efficiently manufactured by Machine B, though either machine could manufacture any of the 50 components. If 36 percent of the components were manufactured by Machine A and the remainder were manufactured by Machine B, what is the highest possible number of components that were manufactured efficiently?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 187
Location: Germany
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51
Re: Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 02:31
I agree, the wording is pretty akward and it takes a long time to read.

However, here is how I did it:

A can manufacture 70 % of 50 efficiently, which is 35.
B can manufacure 30 % of 50 efficiently, which is 15.

Now 36 % of 50 are produced by A. This means 18 parts. Since A can produce 35 efficiently, all 18 are produced efficiently. Rest (32) is produced by B, which can produce max. 15 parts efficiently.

Hence parts that were produced efficiently = 15+18 = 33. (C).
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8514
Premium Member
Re: Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 23:32
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must &nbs [#permalink] 17 Sep 2018, 23:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the 50 electronics components that a factory must

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.