GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of the four numbers represented on the number line above, is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)
Of the four numbers represented on the number line above, is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jul 2016, 23:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:10) correct 32% (01:17) wrong based on 1778 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the four numbers represented on the number line above, is r closest to zero?

(1) q = –s
(2) –t < q

Attachment:
Number line.jpg
Number line.jpg [ 6.28 KiB | Viewed 22459 times ]

Originally posted by devinawilliam83 on 29 Feb 2012, 21:50.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Jul 2016, 23:24, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question and added the diagram
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2012, 23:21

(1) q = –s --> -s and s are on opposite sides of zero and zero is halfway between them. We can have two cases:

<-------(-s)---(r)---0-------(s)-------(t)------->
<---------(-s)-------0---(r)---(s)-------(t)------->

As you can see in either case r is closest to zero. Sufficient.

(2) –t < q --> -t and t are on opposite sides of zero and zero is halfway between them. We can have two cases:

<-------(-t)-------(q)------(r)-0-------(s)-------(t)------->
<-------(-t)-------(q)-(r)------0-(s)-------------(t)------->

As you can see in either r or s is closest to zero. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: Of the four numbers represented on the number line above, is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 04:59
the question is not very clear for me.. i've chosen option E because i put ANY value for each letter, should not the question specify that the relation q<r <s <t has always to be true?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 05:14
lucasITA wrote:
the question is not very clear for me.. i've chosen option E because i put ANY value for each letter, should not the question specify that the relation q<r <s <t has always to be true?

The question says "Of the four numbers represented on the number line above", so the order is what you get by looking at it: \(q<r <s <t\).

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 03:57
Bunuel wrote:

(1) q = –s --> -s and s are on opposite sides of zero and zero is halfway between them. We can have two cases:

(2) –t < q --> -t and t are on opposite sides of zero and zero is halfway between them. We can have two cases:

Bunuel,
When -t<q, is it possible that q is closest to zero?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 06:38
shohrat6383 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Bunuel,
When -t<q, is it possible that q is closest to zero?

We are interested whether r closest to zero and for the case when –t < q, we have an YES and a NO answer:

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 10:41
As per the question ,r lies somewhere in between q & s .

1) q=-s
it implies that the value of r lies somewhere between -s & s . also it will be close to 0 in all situation .
this part is SUFFICIENT.

2)-t<q
this part fixes value for t & q resulting :
- we don't know the location of 0. this leads to many possibilities such as r & s may lie at opposite side of 0 or may lie in the same side.
so in this scenario r may or may not be close to 0.
INSUFFICIENT.

ANSWER MUST BE A
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 08:32
this question seems weird to me..i don't understand the definition of 'close'..

for statement 1, yes, 0 is in the middle of the distance between S and T and R is between them as well.but how to link it to close to zero as we don't know the value of S and T.

Could be 100 and -100 and R be 99. Does it consider Close? Need help to clarify my doubt...
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 11:07
katzzzz wrote:

for statement 1, yes, 0 is in the middle of the distance between S and T and R is between them as well.but how to link it to close to zero as we don't know the value of S and T.

Could be 100 and -100 and R be 99. Does it consider Close? Need help to clarify my doubt...

Hi katzzzz,

By closest to zero the question is talking about the distance between zero and the numbers given in the question i.e. q, r, s and t. As per statement-I, zero is the midpoint of q and s and r lies between them. Now, there can be two scenarios:

1. r is closer to q than to s.
Let's assume the distance between q and zero and s and zero to be x. Since r lies between s and zero, its distance from zero would be less than x.

2. r is closer to s than to q.
Similarly in this case, we will have the distance of r from zero less than x.

In both the cases we can see that the distance of r from zero is lesser compared to the distance of q and s from zero. Also, t is greater than s and hence is at the greatest distance from zero compared to q, r and s. Hence we can say with certainty that r is the closest to zero. Let me know if you have trouble understanding the analysis of st-II as well.

Hope this helps :)

Regards
Harsh

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 16:19
Hi All,

While this question appears layered, it can be solved rather easily by TESTing VALUES and paying attention to the relative 'positions' of the variables on the number line. It's important to note that since this is a DS question, we CANNOT trust the picture. We DO know the "order" of the variables on the number line, but we do NOT know if they are evenly spaced out.

We're asked if R is CLOSEST to 0. This is a YES/NO question.

Fact 1: Q = -S

This tells us that Q and S are opposites. By extension, since they represent 2 DIFFERENT spots on the number line, neither can be 0. Also, since they're opposites and Q is "farther left", then Q is NEGATIVE and S is POSITIVE.

IF....
Q = -1
S = 1
R is BETWEEN -1 and 1, so it IS the closest to 0 and the answer to the question is YES.

IF...
Q = -2
S = 2
R is BETWEEN -2 and 2, so it IS the closest to 0 and the answer to the question is YES.

This pattern is consistent no matter what set of numbers you use for Q and S. The answer is ALWAYS YES.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT

Fact 2: -T < Q

IF....
Q = -2
T = 3
We can then place R and S between the two values....

IF....
R = 2.1
S = 2.2
Q is closer to 0 than R is, so the answer to the question is NO

IF....
R = 0
S = 1
R is the closest to 0 (it IS 0), so the answer to the question is YES
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 00:46
katzzzz wrote:

Hi Katzzzz,

The question specifically asks whether r is closest to "0" of the four numbers or not .
Undoubtedly,S could be 100 and R be 99 ,but R(99) is close to "0" with respect to S(100) and other number(S<T) as mentioned on the number line.
You have to deal this problem with reference to other numbers mentioned in the question.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 23:22
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Attachment:
Number line.jpg

(1) q = –s
(2) –t < q

Am unable to understand the explanation in the OG.

Are we just suppose to believe/assume that all points are equidistant from the other??
There is a better version of this question on page 1 of sub-500 coordinate geometry directory page.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 23:29
LogicGuru1 wrote:
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Attachment:
Number line.jpg

(1) q = –s
(2) –t < q

Am unable to understand the explanation in the OG.

Are we just suppose to believe/assume that all points are equidistant from the other??
There is a better version of this question on page 1 of sub-500 coordinate geometry directory page.

No, we cannot assume that the gaps between two adjacent points are equal. We can infer from the image only the relative position (order) of points.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 09:29
devinawilliam83 wrote:

(1) q = –s
(2) –t < q

Attachment:
Number line.jpg

See how the question is asking us is r "CLOSER" to zero and not asking us is r "Greater than or Less than zero"
In a number line with no marking for magnitude, it would have been almost impossible to tell whether r is greater than or less than 0

(1) q = –s
Sufficient :- q and s must have a zero in between them and they both will be equidistant from 0
For example q=-5 then s=5
r is between q and s so it can never touch the same magnitude as r or s . It can never be 5. It can be -4.99999....... to 4.99999..... It has to be be anything less than 5 hence it will always be closer to zero compared to q and s.

(2) –t < q
Tells us there is 0 between t and q but there r and s are also between t and q; s we don't know whether r or s is close to 0
INSUFFICIENT

ANSWER IS A

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 08:04
Hi Brunel,

In the 2nd case, is the below case possible?

<-------(-t)-------------------0-----(q)---(r)----(s)-------------(t)------->
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 09:22
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 07:58
For the first case, I got a little confused because I considered the case of q and s = 0, and accordingly r will be equal to 0 as well.

The given does not mention anything about the values not being equal, does it?
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 21:47
Hi ahmedhammam,

This question includes a Number Line with the 4 variables placed at 'hash marks.' However, we don't know the 'scale' of the line (and it's likely that the 4 numbers are NOT evenly spaced out)...

For example, Q R S and T could be 1, 2, 3 and 4

OR

Q R S and T could be -1, 10, 19 and 2000.

We DO know that the 4 numbers are arranged from least to greatest (because that's how a Number Line "works"). By extension, one of the 4 numbers COULD be 0, but two of them cannot (and no two of the variables are the same value).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 540 Q35 V29

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 20:42
is it safe to assume the figure is drawn to the scale and hence if q = -s than r is midpoint for q and s and hence r is 0 or close to it?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 01:44
kuvshah wrote:
is it safe to assume the figure is drawn to the scale and hence if q = -s than r is midpoint for q and s and hence r is 0 or close to it?

No, you absolutely cannot assume that.

OFFICIAL GUIDE:

Problem Solving
Figures: All figures accompanying problem solving questions are intended to provide information useful in solving the problems. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Data Sufficiency:
Figures:
• Figures conform to the information given in the question, but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
• Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight.
• The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero.
• All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: Of the four numbers represented on the number line above, is   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2017, 01:44

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Of the four numbers represented on the number line above, is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap