Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
5 Lessons I Learned During my Core Semester [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: 5 Lessons I Learned During my Core Semester
[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Indera-Sahadeo_Head_Shot-1019x1024.png[/img]
Indera Sahadeo 23MBA

Since starting business school last August, the time has flown by so fast. It feels like just yesterday my cohort started our [url=https://goizueta.emory.edu/full-time-mba]Full-Time MBA[/url] journey. Throughout my first semester, I was overwhelmed. It felt nearly impossible to effectively manage my time adjusting to academic rigor, establishing new relationships despite social distancing in a global pandemic, and transitioning to a new learning environment, all while maintaining some degree of normalcy in my home life. In the midst of it all, I couldn’t see how I’d be able to get through. Now that I’m on the other side, I feel a huge sense of gratification for the process and fruits of that labor.

The core curriculum is the heart of the Goizueta MBA program. It’s during core where first-year students are thrust into management theory and practice across a range of subjects including analytics, strategy, and managerial finance, just to name a few.

The intensity of our core curriculum focuses on business fundamentals and the leadership, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are critical to success during our summer internships and post-MBA. At Goizueta, “core” is comprised of three blocks jam-packed with ten courses that individually phase in and out after blocks one and two, respectively. “Core” is challenging; however, the beauty in challenges is that they force us to grow, overcome and transform. Here are five lessons I learned during my core semester:  

[*][b]Give yourself the grace to make mistakes and learn.[/b]
Stepping into the MBA classroom is a transition, and you will feel the physical and emotional toll of it. Being surrounded by other smart people can make you feel inadequate, and you can easily fall victim to Imposter Syndrome. It’s completely normal to feel confused and believe that you’re the only person struggling. You’re not. Instead of comparing yourself, use this time to find ways for you to blossom in your own way. You bring value to the table, be confident in that no matter what. 
[/*][*][b]Understand your “why.” [/b]
It’s easy to throw your hands up in defeat when the going gets tough. When you feel backed against a wall in your studies, it’s important to remember why you started this process. I stayed encouraged by remembering the goals I set for myself and trusting that to reach that destination I had to go through some valleys.
[/*][*][b]Feedback is a gift.[/b]
We heard this saying often during our first semester, and there’s a reason for it. The only way to grow is to increase your self-awareness and recognize areas in which you can improve. An easy way of accomplishing this is through feedback. Ask for it, listen to it, and apply it. After all, feedback truly is a gift.
[/*][*][b]Don’t “Smash the Watermelon.”[/b]
This saying comes from the Goizueta IMPACT class. One of the key lessons I learned is the importance of asking the right questions. Asking questions helped me not only to understand the subject matter better, but it helped me to think more holistically when trying to solve problems in the business setting. Asking good questions can be the difference between producing good work and high-quality, high-impact work. 
[/*][*][b]Don’t forget to have fun![/b]
At the end of the day, school is hard work and hard work deserves a reward. Your MBA program will push you to your limits and you need balance to avoid burnout. This is probably the last time you’ll ever be in school with the liberty to explore new experiences in a low-risk environment. Don’t get bogged down by the books, go to conferences, beach week, and ski trips—anything that prioritizes self-care and time to socialize with friends, classmates, and other loved ones. [/*][/list]
The post [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/5-lessons-i-learned-during-my-core-semester/]5 Lessons I Learned During my Core Semester[/url] appeared first on [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com]Voice of Goizueta[/url].
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Young Entrepreneurs Absorb Lessons Learned by Seasoned Pros at the Emo [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Young Entrepreneurs Absorb ‘Lessons Learned’ by Seasoned Pros at the Emory Entrepreneurship Summit
The Roberto C. Goizueta Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation has been working tirelessly to provide aspiring entrepreneurs at Emory with the tools and resources they need to succeed. These programs enable student entrepreneurs, like me, to thrive.

Through experiences, programs, and opportunities, I believe that entrepreneurship at Emory will become a magnet that attracts prospective entrepreneurs from all over the world to come to Emory to receive their education.
Dany Hernandez 23BBA

Dany Hernandez 23BBA

One program meant to push entrepreneurs forward in their journey is the Emory Entrepreneurship Summit that took place on March 31 and April 1. The Entrepreneurship Summit is a two-day event where people connected through the passion of entrepreneurship come together to network, learn, and get inspired.

The objective of the Emory Entrepreneurship Summit Pitch the Summit competition is to provide Emory undergraduate and graduate students with the opportunity to learn how to effectively pitch an idea for a new venture. Winning individuals and teams receive guidance, financial support, and in-kind contributions to move the venture forward.

This year’s event featured a founder’s address by Vivek Garipalli 00BBA, a panel by the Peachtree Minority Venture Fund, and numerous workshops aimed at honing entrepreneurial skills. Finalist pitchers that participated in the competition also presented their ventures to compete for a cash prize pool of $25,000. If you are interested in launching your own business, this is an excellent opportunity to acquire funding and take the first key step to transforming your venture from a dream to a reality.

Neil Banerjee 22BBA, who won second place and secured $5,000 in funding, plans to use his prize money to visit New York and meet with designers to partner with his startup, FTTED, a platform that hosts independent fashion designers and connects them to consumers, giving them the resources they need to scale.

For nonpitchers, the Summit is an excellent educational opportunity to learn from professionals. Various workshops were hosted by Emory alumni who have had their share of success in the entrepreneurial world. Workshops included topics such as “How do I Monetize my Concept and Acquire Customers,” hosted by Sean Belnick 09BBA and Jared Belsky 05MBA, “How do I Build an MVP, Working Prototype, or App,” hosted by Omer Sattar 00BBA  and Eden Chen 02BBA, and “How do I Raise Funding,” hosted by Gardiner Garrard 99MBA and Kerry Miller 01BBA. These workshops illuminated aspects of entrepreneurship about which some young entrepreneurs might be in the dark, giving valuable pieces of knowledge that aspiring entrepreneurs could utilize.

“Embrace Luck”

The keynote speaker gave an inspiring founder’s address that walked the audience through his own entrepreneurial journey. Garipalli is the CEO and Founder of Clover Health, a health insurance company that leverages data to proactively improve health outcomes, filling gaps in care and reducing avoidable costs. He earned a BBA from Goizueta with a concentration in entrepreneurship.

My biggest takeaway from Garipalli’s address centers around an unconventional piece of advice he gave us: “embrace luck.” This piece of advice illustrates to entrepreneurs that sometimes you just happen to be in the right place at the right time, and you must ensure you have the grit and consistency to create and capitalize on these opportunities.

The Emory Entrepreneurship Summit further fueled my passion for entrepreneurship by placing me in an environment with like-minded individuals who share the same goals and ambitions that I do. If you missed the Summit this year, don’t worry. You can always join us again next year!

The post Young Entrepreneurs Absorb ‘Lessons Learned’ by Seasoned Pros at the Emory Entrepreneurship Summit appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Veteran Spotlight: Matthew Mastriforte 22MBA, Surface Warfare Officer, [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Veteran Spotlight: Matthew Mastriforte 22MBA, Surface Warfare Officer, US Navy

Matthew Mastriforte 22MBA

[*]Background: I am originally from Canton, Georgia, and completed my B.A. in History from Kennesaw State University. Following graduation, I received my commission from the US Navy’s Officer Candidate School, spending five years as an active-duty Surface Warfare Officer. My role was very similar to that of a traditional mariner; I drove and navigated our warships around the world, deploying three times (while visiting 25+ countries). In 2020, I transitioned to the Navy Reserve with the intention of pivoting into the private sector.[/*][/list]

• Why Goizueta: Witnessing the transformation of Atlanta over the last 10 years, I knew without a doubt this is where I wanted to begin my next professional chapter. Rather than moving to a small college town for two years (and then move again), having the opportunity to attend a top-ranked business school already in my desired location was a slam-dunk! Veteran inclusion was also a huge factor in my decision; after having several conversations with current Veteran students at Goizueta throughout my application process, it became obvious Emory University was the perfect fit.

• Career Goals: Similar to other communities, Surface Warfare Officers are trained to be “generalist” managers during our time in service. We’re constantly transferring into new roles across multiple departments throughout the ship, allowing us to develop a well-rounded perspective as military leaders. I wanted this same type of experience in the private sector, which is why I ultimately chose to pursue a career in management consulting. After a busy recruiting season, I could not be more excited to start at Accenture later this year!

• Hobbies/Other Interests: I am a grief-stricken Atlanta sports fan, though the recent championships by the Braves and Dawgs have given me a dangerous sense of hope. Otherwise, I have become very passionate assisting other Veterans transition from active duty and volunteer with the non-profit “Service-to-School,” editing admission essays and resumes for Veteran applicants.

Check out more Veteran spotlights and learn more about Goizueta Business School’s MBA program for Veterans.

The post Veteran Spotlight: Matthew Mastriforte 22MBA, Surface Warfare Officer, US Navy appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ClimateCAP 2022: The Rise of Climate-Smart MBAs [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: ClimateCAP 2022: The Rise of Climate-Smart MBAs

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/climatecapphoto1-1024x768.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Ankita_Kanwar_8.jpeg.jpg[/img]
Ankita Kanwar 22MBA

I first heard about [url=https://www.climatecapsummit.org/]ClimateCAP[/url] 2022 through an interest group called Goizueta Sustainability Initiatives (GSI). Although there are many opportunities in business school to participate in activities that may not fall into your “wheelhouse,” this opportunity stood out to me. In my four years of medical school, I was pained by the amount of medical waste that was generated in the hospital daily. Consider the statistic that although the United States makes up less than five percent of the world’s population, it still generates more than 50 percent of the world’s medical trash. Although I had no prior experience in the sustainability industry, I saw how climate change was inextricably intertwined with inclusion and equity, wealth and disparity, sickness and health; all topics I care about deeply. I hoped an educational and engaging experience like this one would help motivate me to make an impact on sustainability no matter what industry I ultimately landed in. So, I packed my bags and headed to Chicago with Emory University’s student delegation to join students from 23 other business schools learning to lead a climate through crisis.

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/20220226-rr-climatecap-day2-263-1024x683.jpeg[/img]
Keynote Speaker – Innovation and Frontier Technologies with speakers Klaus Weber and Geraldine Barnuevo

The summit outlined the basics on what business risks and opportunities climate change presents. Climate change is already interrupting supply chains, affecting markets, and impacting investment decision making. We learned how climate factors into board discussions, investment decisions, and corporate operational considerations into companies like Unilever, General Motors, Apple, Patagonia, and Boeing. We learned about companies like ProjectCanary and Persefoni that were developed to help rocket the world towards a fully decarbonized economy. It was easy to see that because the implications of climate change ranged far and wide, it could not be tackled as solely a policy issue, a political issue, or business issue—integration of all three issues are required to generate a positive impact on the health of planet Earth.

I left ClimateCAP 2022 with the knowledge that climate risk would be the uniting call for action for my generation. “B-school” students were a far cry from the “bottom line” warriors I expected to meet—they were passionate, talented, and collaborative. Although there is a lot of work to be done, I left this experience with more resources than ever to engage more deeply and thoughtfully on our planet’s climate future.

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/20220226-rr-climatecap-day2-161-1024x694.jpeg[/img]
Scenes at the 2022 ClimateCAP Summit

A delegation of 18 MBA students from Emory University’s Goizueta Business School recently attended the [url=https://www.climatecapsummit.org/]ClimateCAP Global Summit[/url] to discuss the enormous influence and responsibility business leaders hold in driving toward a climate-smart world. Along with hundreds of leading students and professionals from across the nation, they explored the financial risks and opportunities of climate change along with important stakeholder responsibilities that define how a climate-smart business operates. Through the [url=https://goizueta.emory.edu/faculty/business-society]Business & Society Institute[/url], students, faculty, staff, and partners focus on addressing complex challenges confronting people, the planet, and the business community through academic discovery and purposeful action. To learn more about Goizueta Business School and how principled leaders are driving positive change, visit [url=https://www.goizueta.emory.edu/]goizueta.emory.edu[/url]. 

The post [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/climatecap-2022-the-rise-of-climate-smart-mbas/]ClimateCAP 2022: The Rise of Climate-Smart MBAs[/url] appeared first on [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com]Voice of Goizueta[/url].
Manager
Manager
Send PM
10 Essential Insights for Climate-Smart Business Leaders [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: 10 Essential Insights for Climate-Smart Business Leaders
We joined Emory University’s Goizueta Business School MBA delegation in recently attending the ClimateCAP Global Summit to discuss the enormous influence and responsibility business leaders hold in driving toward a climate-smart world.

Along with hundreds of leading students and professionals from across the nation, we explored the financial risks and opportunities of climate change along with important stakeholder responsibilities that define how a climate-smart business operates.

This Earth Day, we reflected on the challenge that climate change presents along with ten purposeful actions we advise business leaders to take based on our ClimateCAP conference and our own professional experiences. 

Climate Change is Not Only our Generation’s Biggest Challenge, but Also a Business Imperative

Climate change is the biggest challenge we face today. From changing weather patterns to rising sea levels, we are threatened by possibilities from decreased food production to forest fires to catastrophic flooding. The impacts of climate change are global and unprecedented in scale, and they are mounting much faster than scientists had predicted ten years ago.

The business world has a large role to play in adapting to climate change through leadership and innovation. Leading firms are acting both internally and externally to become more resilient to climate change. As companies seek out a deeper understanding of the risks and opportunities of changing climate, they must take steps to reduce their emissions.

Ten Essential Insights for Climate-Smart Business Leaders

[*]Start with the C-Suite: We must equip our executive leaders with the content expertise and the tools to incorporate social impact into all functions, across all business units.[/*][*]A shared responsibility: While Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) positions with such titles exist, all leaders across all functions have an opportunity to progress sustainability goals and initiatives by leading from where they sit within an organization.[/*][*]New employment landscape: Opportunities abound for senior leaders within the sustainability and social impact space. The world needs passionate, skilled professionals to combat climate change.[/*][*]Now > perfect: Perfection cannot be the enemy of good. The need is urgent, and perfection simply cannot hinder progress.[/*][*]Mutually beneficial outcomes: In business, decisions will always be made through the lens of profitability; however, profitability and purpose can coexist. It is incumbent upon leaders to build a business case that’s good for the company, people, and planet.[/*][*]Transparency IS a value proposition: Incorporating the cost of carbon into the Profit and Loss statement (P&L) can hold companies accountable for its environmental impact and positively influence key decisions.[/*][*]Sustainability = Business growth: Innovation, efficiency and sustainability are intertwined. A deep and unwavering commitment to sustainability can drive teams in innovating to meet climate change goals while growing the business, creating efficiencies, and generating cost savings to make companies more competitive, expand offerings, and reach new target segments.[/*][*]Bigger goals produce bigger results: Net Zero will require companies large and small to shoot for the moon. Stick a flag in the ground and aim big. Aiming big is what it will take to see the needed change. Have faith in passionate, smart, driven leaders reach the audacious goals set forth.[/*][*]Success will not happen overnight: No one has all the answers. Companies across the globe are working feverishly to solve the most complex problem of our lifetime. Because the work to be done to counteract climate change is unclear at times, as business leaders we must commit to asking tough questions, trying innovative solutions, and be willing to share openly with other.[/*][*]This is our mission: We are all in this together. No one can solve this complex global problem alone. We, as business leaders, are called to collaborate in unprecedented ways. We must share knowledge and align around scalable solutions to progress faster and mitigate more effectively.[/*][/list]

The shift in business environment owing to climate change is expected to be as transformational as the advent of the internet. Businesses that do not adapt will be at risk, while those that do will be greeted with greater opportunities. Nobody’s immune. We must act now.

A delegation of 18 MBA students from Emory University’s Goizueta Business School recently attended the ClimateCAP Global Summit to discuss the enormous influence and responsibility business leaders hold in driving toward a climate-smart world. Along with hundreds of leading students and professionals from across the nation, they explored the financial risks and opportunities of climate change along with important stakeholder responsibilities that define how a climate-smart business operates. Through the Business & Society Institute, students, faculty, staff, and partners focus on addressing complex challenges confronting people, the planet, and the business community through academic discovery and purposeful action. To learn more about Goizueta Business School and how principled leaders are driving positive change, visit goizueta.emory.edu.  

About the Authors

Hina Arora 22MBA is a soon-to-be graduate of the Two-Year MBA program at Goizueta Business School. She will work as a management consultant at AlixPartners after graduation, consulting with clients on how to solve complex and critical challenges relating to top and bottom-line growth.
Taylor Clark 22EMBA leads corporate responsibility strategy and communications for Milo’s Tea Company, a family-owned and Certified Woman Owned beverage manufacturer.
Pedro Gomez 22EMBA Pedro is director of financial planning and analysis for Argos, a multinational company that produces and markets cement and ready-mix concrete through its operations in Colombia, the United States, Central America, and the Caribbean.
Matthew Mastriforte 22MBA will soon graduate from the Two-Year MBA program at Goizueta Business school. He will work as a senior strategy consultant at Accenture. Prior to business school, he was a Surface Warfare Officer in the U.S. Navy.

The post 10 Essential Insights for Climate-Smart Business Leaders appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The BBA Class of 2022 Reflect on Their Time at Goizueta [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: The BBA Class of 2022 Reflect on Their Time at Goizueta
This May, hundreds of Goizueta graduates will walk out of our doors ready for the workforce. With commencement on the horizon, we spoke to several BBA students about their time at Goizueta, and here is what they had to say. 

Katalia Alexander 22BBA 

Katalia Alexander 22BBA

Katalia Alexander is a graduating BBA at Goizueta Business School concentrating in strategy & management consulting and business & society with a double major in sociology. She is passionate about reducing inequality and challenging businesses to take an active role in addressing societal problems. Outside of school, you can find her exploring Atlanta’s coffee scene and reading fiction. 

• What was your biggest takeaway at Goizueta?
    One of the things I love about Goizueta is our commitment to exploring the role businesses play in addressing societal issues. Through classes such as Business & Society and Philanthropy Lab, I’ve gotten to explore the ways in which corporate and social sector leaders can affect real social change. My biggest takeaway leaving Goizueta is that whatever career you pursue, you have an opportunity – and a responsibility – to do your best to make an impact through the work you do.  

[*]What is your advice for future students?
Get involved with Goizueta clubs! Some of my biggest learning moments, greatest memories, and closest friends have come through my experience being in the Emory Impact Investing Group (EIIG). Clubs allow you to grow in your leadership and apply the things you are learning in the classroom in real life! [/list]

Thomas Heagy 22BBA 

Thomas Heagy 22BBA

Thomas Heagy is an undergraduate student at Goizueta Business School studying Business and German Studies. In his free time, Thomas enjoys following Pittsburgh sports, working out, and traveling with friends. He will join BMO Capital Markets in their Healthcare Investment Banking Group this summer. 

• What is your advice for future students?
    I would definitely advise students in the early years of their business education to work a service job. For example, go wait some tables! Business is about relationships with people and juggling different tasks to help your team succeed. Restaurants provide perfect practice in this field, and you make good tips, too!   

[*]What’s your favorite Goizueta memory?
My favorite Goizueta memory is returning to in-person events after the pandemic, especially attending guest lectures. As a teaching assistant for Dr. Jeffrey Rosensweig, Director of The Robson Program for Business, Public Policy, and Government, I attended many amazing speaker events organized by the program. Thanks to these opportunities, I even met some of these amazing business leaders and built valuable relationships outside of the classroom.  [/list]

Michelle He 22BBA 

Michelle He 22BBA

Michelle He is a senior from Knoxville, TN, studying finance and entrepreneurship. At Goizueta, she currently serves as the President of the BBA Council, Banking Academy Chair in Goizueta Finance Group, and Resident Advisor in Woodruff Residential. After graduation, she will pursue a career in investment banking at Centerview Partners. 

• How would you describe your time at Goizueta?
    My time at Goizueta has been full of growth, learning, and self-reflection. Like many other students, I came into the business school with a vague idea of what I wanted out of my BBA experience. However, through conversations with friends, advising sessions in the career management center, and countless alumni panels and events, I gained a much better understanding of the holistic business world and the role I want to play in it. This sense of self-discovery is certainly not over – I hope to take it with me long after graduation. 

[*]What was your biggest takeaway?
Goizueta is such a special place because it fosters a community that constantly pays it forward. My BBA journey has been shaped by so many peers and alumni because of this willingness to help, listen, and mentor. Ultimately, my biggest takeaway is the importance of carrying this tradition forward and always prioritizing giving back to the very community that made me who I am. [/list]

Ben Feinstein 22BBA 

Ben Feinstein 22BBA

Ben Feinstein is an undergraduate student at Goizueta Business School studying strategy and management consulting.  After graduation, Ben is headed back home to Westchester, NY, where he will be working in Manhattan at AlphaSights. Outside of work, he is passionate about playing/watching sports, film, and politics. 

• What was your biggest takeaway? 
    One of the biggest impacts Goizueta had on me was on my recruiting preparedness. I never would have known how to interview well and secure a job offer without the help of Goizueta, and my proficiency in these areas is something I didn’t expect to acquire when I first applied.  Network, network, network. My greatest takeaway from Goizueta is that your network is the key to your success. It is always important to make new connections with people and to nurture the relationships you already have.  Thus, I have found community to be the most prevalent principle of the BBA Creed. I have greatly enjoyed being a part of the Goizueta community and look forward to keeping those connections in the future.

[*]What’s your favorite Goizueta memory? 
Business Law with Professor Allison Burdette. I know everyone at Goizueta dreads this class, but I absolutely loved it! Professor Burdette is incredibly unique and passionate in her teaching style, and it results in an unforgettable experience. While it requires an immense amount of work and devotion, I learned more than in any other class. More specifically, I learned important concepts that will be useful in my everyday life beyond my career. This class should be a requirement for every student at Emory!    [/list]

Want to hear more from other students at the business school? Be sure to read our student blog Voice of Goizueta for student perspectives during their time at Goizueta. 

The post The BBA Class of 2022 Reflect on Their Time at Goizueta appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The MBA Class of 2022 Reflect on Their Time at Goizueta [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: The MBA Class of 2022 Reflect on Their Time at Goizueta
This May, hundreds of Goizueta graduates will walk out of our doors ready for the workforce. With commencement on the horizon, we spoke to several MBA students about their time at Goizueta, and here is what they had to say.

[b]Alexia Brown 22MBA[/b] 

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Emory-Headshot-Alexia-1024x682.jpg[/img]
Alexia Brown 22MBA

Alexia is a second year MBA concentrating in finance. Prior to school she worked as an entrepreneur and a corporate attorney for Latham & Watkins LLP. She enjoys snowboarding and carnival.

[list][*][b]How would you describe your time at Goizueta?[/b] 
My time at Goizueta was transformational, I was able to learn a great deal about myself, be challenged and grow. In addition, I was able to build strong connections and get really integrated into community.[/*][/list]

[*][b]What was your biggest takeaway?[/b] 
My biggest takeaway is the importance of asking for and being able to take help. The experience also reinforced the value in supporting others when you are able to do so. [/*][/list]

[b]Allegra Porter 22MBA[/b]

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/AllegraPorter-resized.jpg[/img]
Allegra Porter 22MBA

Allegra Porter is an MBA student at Goizueta Business School focusing on operations management and strategy in Health Care. An Atlanta native, she received her B.A. from Wellesley College as a dual major in psychology and French. After graduating, she will be joining Optum’s Corporate Leadership Program and hopes to increase access to, and improve the efficiency of, medical care.

[list][*][b]What was your biggest takeaway?[/b]
Something that has become clear to me throughout my time in the program is how critical diversity is in a team; not only of opinion, but of background, culture, and expertise. You can’t always know what you don’t know, and it is easy to unintentionally become biased when surrounding yourself with people who think just like you do. The most successful leaders are those who understand this, and I’ll certainly carry this lesson with me as I continue my career.

My biggest takeaway was that learning new skills, pushing through failures, embracing ambiguity, and actively working to improve yourself is what makes you invaluable. [/*][/list]

2. [b]What’s your favorite Goizueta memory?[/b]
One of my favorite memories is the annual talent show. It’s a lot of fun and I’ve been so impressed by what my peers can do! I’ve learned some very valuable skills, like how to make real chai, how to fold a shirt in under two seconds, when and when not to wear sandals, how to make origami, and a few cool Bollywood dance moves….

It’s a great bonding activity, especially for an incoming first-year. My classmates and I might not have remembered each other’s names at the beginning, but we certainly remembered the performances. Even to this day, I’ll introduce myself to someone and they’ll say “Oh—you’re that girl who did the tricks with her dog!”

[b]Kegan Baird 22MBA[/b] 

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Kegan-Baird-resized.jpg[/img]
Kegan Baird 22MBA

Kegan is a second year MBA student concentrating in marketing, analytics, and social enterprise. Kegan graduated from the University of Georgia in 2016, majoring in marketing and statistics. Prior to business school, Kegan was a consultant at Deloitte, where he will head back to after graduation. Outside of work, he is a huge Atlanta/Georgia sports fan and is often running, play tennis, or enjoying time with wife, friends, and family. 

[list][*][b]How would you describe your time at Goizueta? [/b]
Fast paced, inspiring, accommodating, and eye opening.   [/*][/list]

[*][b]What was your biggest takeaway?[/b]
There is nothing more important than people. You should definitely focus on your studies but taking time to learn about working with people and to connect with your classmates, professors, and mentors on a deeper level will pay the greatest dividends.
 [/*][*][b]What’s your favorite Goizueta memory?[/b]
Participating in the Goizueta Advanced Leadership Academy (GALA), where I spent an entire week sailing across the British Virgin Islands with 20 of my fellow classmates, competing in daily challenges and growing as a leader. [/*][/list]

[b]Bruce Lee 22MBA[/b] 

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/BruceEmoryGrad096-1024x683.jpg[/img]
Bruce Lee 22MBA

Bruce Lee is a second year MBA student from Gordon, GA. Prior to school, Bruce was an IOT project manager at Siemens. While at Emory University, Bruce has gained internship experience from PwC and Warner Bros Discovery (HBOMax), held various leadership roles across campus organizations, and created a networking initiative for minority MBA talent interested in media, entertainment, and sports. Upon graduating, he will be joining Disney as an ESPN BizDev and Innovation MBA Intern for Summer 2022. Following his internship, he will join McKinsey’s Southern California office to begin a career as a digital strategy consultant for tech, media, and telecom clients. 

[list][*][b]How would you describe your time at Goizueta?[/b]
My time at Goizueta has been completely transformational. Business school has helped me evolve from being a rather soft-spoken individual constantly suffering from impostor syndrome to someone with crystal clear career goals and milestones and the confidence to pursue them wholeheartedly.  [/*][/list]

2. [b]What is your advice for future students?[/b]
Shoot whatever shots you’ve always been curious about. Business school is the perfect petri dish to experiment with multiple career paths, make some mistakes if necessary, and quickly recover. It also offers you a myriad of academic and professional resources such as professors, alumni, a career center, case competitions, and so much more to help challenge your logic and expand your mindset. Additionally, you have unlimited usage of the “I’m a current MBA student curious in learning about (fill in blank here)” card which gives you a cheat code to connecting with many potential mentors and practitioners that you may not have had the opportunity to overwise. Be sure to capitalize on all of these opportunities, never stop networking and at least casually recruiting, and remain true to your authentic self along the way.

3. [b]What’s your favorite Goizueta memory?[/b]
Ahhh, so many to choose from (and I have no doubt that this will ring true to future cohorts). If I have to choose only one, then I’ll go with attending the National Black MBA Conference in Chicago last year. This memory is great because it allowed me to connect with many of my classmates in a non-classroom setting for the first time while also allowing all of us to connect with other top ranked MBA students across America. This created the perfect mix of professional networking, laughs, great food, and overall positive vibes.

[b]Breanna Spurley 22MBA[/b] 

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/BSpurley-Headshot-21-22-1.jpeg[/img]
Breanna Spurley 22MBA

Breanna is a second year MBA student at Goizueta Business School concentrating in strategy consulting, accounting, and social enterprise. Prior to school, Breanna was a finance associate at the Harlem Children’s Zone, an education and social service nonprofit that aims to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty. After graduation, she will be interning at Earnest, and then joining EY-Parthenon as a senior consultant in the New York office. Outside of school and work, she enjoys spending time with friends and family and exploring musical talents, like tap dancing and playing the violin. 

[list][*][b]What is your advice for future students?[/b] 
Lean into the community as fast as you’re comfortable with. The Goizueta community is so diverse in people and experiences that it can be a bit overwhelming. Talk to people! No matter what your interests are, there’s a program, student, professor, or faculty member that’s more than willing to support you! [/*][/list]

[*][b]What’s your favorite Goizueta memory?[/b]
I will always express gratitude to [url=https://www.groundsforempowerment.org/program]Grounds for Empowerment[/url][b] [/b](GFE), a program that focuses on educating and empowering female coffee producers in Central America. The program begins with learning about the historical and cultural importance of coffee farmers and ends in a 5-week workshop, where students are paired with female coffee producers in Central America to aid in storytelling, financial tracking, and goal setting.

Business school prepares you for a lot of things, but my experience with GFE has been the most hands-on, impactful introduction to consulting. Research and building relationships with a heavy emphasis on listening and empathy are tools I will take into my future career. [/*][/list]

Want to hear more from other students at the business school? Be sure to read our student blog [url=https://voiceofgoizueta.com/]Voice of Goizueta[/url] for student perspectives during their time at Goizueta.

The post [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/the-mba-class-of-2022-reflect-on-their-time-at-goizueta/]The MBA Class of 2022 Reflect on Their Time at Goizueta[/url] appeared first on [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com]Voice of Goizueta[/url].
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Learning Through (Coffee) Grounds for Empowerment [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Learning Through (Coffee) Grounds for Empowerment
[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/BSpurley-Headshot-21-22-1.jpeg[/img]
Breanna Spurley 22MBA

One of the largest attractions to business school (outside of new networks and career opportunities) is the ability to see how business is conducted in other countries through study abroad programs or Emory’s Global Experiential Modules (GEMS). Neither of those was an option for me as I’d started my MBA during the fall of 2020. As I entered my first semester at Emory University, a second-year MBA student mentioned that there was a “Central American coffee program” offered through the Business and Society Institute. I enrolled in [url=https://www.groundsforempowerment.org/main][b]Grounds for Empowerment[/b][/url], directed by Dr. Peter Roberts and Giselle Barrera 15MBA, in the spring of 2021. I have remained involved with the program through its growth as a Teaching Assistant, which has pushed me in a number of ways.

1. [b]Socially Conscious[/b]. I appreciated the program’s intentionality behind working solely with female coffee producers in Central America. Each student is paired with a female coffee producer to work on storytelling, financial tracking, and goal setting. This is a large step in the right direction as many of the challenges in the male-dominated coffee industry, like unequal sharing of profit, are addressed from a female perspective. Our task as students was to help each producer own her story and numbers. The program also helped to build a network of female producers. When I joined the program, we worked with producers in Guatemala. A year later, we are working with producers from Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras!

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/VOG_-_GFE_4-1024x576.jpg[/img]
Emory students visiting Anacafe (Guatemala). March 2020.

2. [b]International Classmates.[/b] The course was offered as a virtual directed study, so student participants were from various schools in the U.S. and Central America. Not only did this encourage language and cultural exchange between the students, but a number of the students were very close to the coffee industry, either through their own family farms or through collegiate studies. The program was open to both undergraduate and graduate students, and I often found myself learning from the younger students!

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/VOG_-_GFE_3.png[/img]
Live coffee cupping (scoring) by Anacafe. March 2022.

3.[b] Listening is a Skill. [/b]I entered the program with very little knowledge of coffee but quickly realized that there’s so much behind a cup of coffee. Coming into the program, I thought of myself as a “mini consultant.” I was going to learn as much as I could about coffee before meeting my assigned producer and make sure she “got the story, numbers, and photography right.” That’s not exactly how the workshops played out. I met the producer I was assigned to, Dina from Guatemala, and quickly realized that my role was to listen. One moment that will always stick with me is when I asked Dina for pictures to feature on the Grounds for Empowerment website. One of the pictures she sent was of a beautiful white flower, and I wondered, “what does this have to do with coffee?” She said, “I’m the first woman in my family to manage this land, and I think it’s important that I add touches of femininity.” And I thought, “OK, Breanna, time to listen.”

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/VOG_-_GFE_2.jpeg[/img]
SICAFE Tour (El Salvador) learning about the bean-to-cup process for coffee. March 2020.

Grounds for Empowerment is a directed study course offered each semester through [url=https://goizueta.emory.edu/faculty/business-society]Goizueta’s Business & Society Institute[/url]. Educating and empowering the strong network of female coffee producers in Central America, the 10-week program focuses on sharing the bean to cup process from start to finish and culminates with five live workshops (storytelling, financial planning, live coffee cupping/scoring, and goal setting). During the workshops, coffee experts from around the world share advice with students and coffee producers as they create and own the stories and numbers of their farms. Pre-COVID-19, the workshops took place over a week in Central America.

The post [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/learning-through-coffee-grounds-for-empowerment/]Learning Through (Coffee) Grounds for Empowerment[/url] appeared first on [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com]Voice of Goizueta[/url].
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Veteran Spotlight: Orry N. Young 22MBA, Intelligence Officer, U.S. Arm [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Veteran Spotlight: Orry N. Young 22MBA, Intelligence Officer, U.S. Army

Orry N. Young 22MBA

[*]Background: My name is Orry and I’m originally from Cartersville, Georgia. Upon completing my bachelor’s degree at the University of Georgia in 2013, I commissioned in the U.S. Army as an Intelligence Officer and served seven years on active duty in the 4th Infantry Division and subsequently in 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), with three tours of duty to Afghanistan and Syria. In 2020, I transitioned from active duty to the Army Reserves to pursue my MBA at Goizueta.
[/*][*]Why Goizueta: I decided to pursue my MBA to primarily diversify my skillset and make a professional transition from the military to a civilian career. I chose Goizueta for many reasons, but the main drivers included the smaller tight-knit community, the location at the heart of the thriving Atlanta business community, and the exceptional academic rigor offered. After researching other top-20 MBA programs, I found the Goizueta curriculum uniquely exceled in two ways—the IMPACT360 program led by Professor Lynne Segall, and the Leadership  Development Program led by Lieutenant General (Ret.) Ken Keen. Both programs enable Goizueta MBAs to grow personally and professionally, setting them up for success post-graduation.
[/*][*]Career Goals: As a history undergrad major and transitioning Army veteran, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my MBA. However, during my core semester I quickly found a passion for marketing. Last summer, I interned for Microsoft as a product marketing manager (PMM) and will return after graduation to work out of the Atlanta office.
[/*][*]Hobbies/Other Interests: I’m married to my beautiful wife, Johanna, and we’re expecting our first child this June. We enjoy traveling, exploring local Atlanta restaurants, and spending time with family. I also enjoy assisting fellow veterans transitioning from service to graduate school. Within the MBA program, I serve as a vice president of the Goizueta Veterans Association, and as a leadership board member for IMPACT360.[/*][/list]

Check out more Veteran spotlights and learn more about Goizueta Business School’s MBA program for Veterans.

The post Veteran Spotlight: Orry N. Young 22MBA, Intelligence Officer, U.S. Army appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Climate, Business, and Policy [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Climate, Business, and Policy
[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Screen-Shot-2022-05-16-at-12.18.27-AM.png[/img]
Miguel Vergara 22MBA

My favorite event at ClimateCAP 2022 centered around policy systems for the future. Chicago House of Representatives (Rep.) Sean Casten was an unforgettable presenter who spent an hour speaking about the importance of disruption within climate policy. If someone asked me to pick one thing that made ClimateCAP 2022 so special, it would be extremely challenging. However, I would say that the passion the speakers brought to their presentations is what made the event so special. It is no secret that climate change is one of the biggest crises humanity faces in the foreseeable future.

As research and science advance, we have begun to realize the severe impact of our previous decisions on the world around us and the swift actions we must take to mitigate the years of neglect.

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/senator_casten.jpeg[/img]
Chicago House of Representatives (Rep.)
Sean Casten

Recently, Congressman Casten played a key role in advocating for a major climate change breakthrough within our United States government. The [url=https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376]Build Back Better Act[/url] (H.R.5376), a $2.2 trillion dollar bill focused on climate change and social policy, passed in November 2021 by the House of Representatives. Within the bill, $555 billion dollars was earmarked for clean energy and climate change provisions. Congressmen Casten took us behind the scenes on how the bill passed, and how there is plenty of work still to do. According to the Congressmen, to effectively spend this money (e.g., building out charging stations across the country), both the federal government and states will need to undertake policy changes like revising state zoning requirements. This is just one example that shows why policy disruption is important and how passionate policymakers and students need to continue to stay focused to lead and implement these changes.

To solve climate change, we need to utilize our most valuable resource: human capital. This was one of the key takeaways from Congressman Casten’s presentation. However, it is important that the United States also take steps on the national and international stages to make a lasting impact. Below are some of the highlights from the engagement between Congressman Casten and Kellogg School of Management’s own David Besanko, as they discussed the country’s role in promoting positive climate change policy.

[*][b]The U.S. government is incentivizing good and bad actors.[/b] If the U.S. government’s goal is to combat climate change, the government needs to punish bad behavior and encourage good behavior. Policies today encourage both good and bad climate-related behaviors via tax credits. For example, the system currently rewards green efficient homes and coal mining. If the government wants to make a positive impact on climate change, our policies need to reflect the correct messaging. According to Congressman Casten, simple changes like these could create the positive behavioral shifts that the United States government needs to implement this change.[/*][*][b]The U.S.’s role on the international stage.[/b] In 2019, at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Madrid (“COP25”), the United States government sent Congressman Casten and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to partake in a discussion centered around the global impact of climate change. While at the conference, Congressman Casten mentioned a conversation he had with an EU parliamentarian which really stuck with him. His colleague said the following, “We need the United States to take a leadership role against climate change for two major reasons.” First, the United States has the economic means to make climate change policies a reality. This speaks to the strength of the United States economy. Second, the United States is often viewed as a “moral compass” on the international stage. The international community expects the United States to make the right decision when it comes to important policies, which speaks to our perception within the international community.[/*][/list]

If there is one thing I took away from the conference, it is that we are in the early stages of climate change disruption. As established companies dedicate more and more resources to the cause and startups pop up across various industries tasked with the specific purpose of solving this important issue, there is little doubt that humanity will begin to make great strides towards fighting climate change. However, it is vitally important that we ensure the right people end up in these roles. Many MBA candidates, like so many I met at the conference, were willing to forgo lucrative MBA salaries at reputable firms in exchange for roles that satisfy their passion for sustainability. I cannot help but feel humbled for both the opportunity to attend ClimateCAP 2022 and to meet the future leaders in the space.

A delegation of 18 MBA students from Emory University’s Goizueta Business School recently attended the [url=https://www.climatecapsummit.org/]ClimateCAP Global Summit[/url] to discuss the enormous influence and responsibility business leaders hold in driving toward a climate-smart world. Along with hundreds of leading students and professionals from across the nation, they explored the financial risks and opportunities of climate change along with important stakeholder responsibilities that define how a climate-smart business operates. Through the [url=https://goizueta.emory.edu/faculty/business-society]Business & Society Institute[/url], students, faculty, staff, and partners focus on addressing complex challenges confronting people, the planet, and the business community through academic discovery and purposeful action. To learn more about Goizueta Business School and how principled leaders are driving positive change, visit [url=https://www.goizueta.emory.edu/]goizueta.emory.edu[/url].

The post [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/climate-business-and-policy/]Climate, Business, and Policy[/url] appeared first on [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com]Voice of Goizueta[/url].
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Future Climate Careers in Reporting and Measuring Climate Impact, Clim [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Future Climate Careers in Reporting and Measuring Climate Impact, Climate Strategies, and Climate Operations
[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Mauricio-Vargas-Castelnau_headshot.jpeg[/img]
Mauricio Vargas Castelnau 22MBA

I came two years ago to [url=https://goizueta.emory.edu/]Goizueta Business School[/url] to enhance my skills as a business leader who leaves a positive impact on society. My own passion for sustainability was instilled in me by my birthright as a Costa Rican citizen. It was further reinforced when I realized the inequitable consequences of the climate crisis, a phenomenon that affects every country in the world. However, regardless of each country’s level of contribution, the impact will not be felt equally across all regions. This inequality is what bothered me the most about the climate crisis. In an attempt to expand my knowledge on this topic, I attended the Global [url=https://www.climatecapsummit.org/]ClimateCAP Summit[/url].

The ClimateCAP Summit is not your average [url=https://goizueta.emory.edu/full-time-mba]MBA[/url] event. In fact, it’s not even specifically for MBA candidates, for it brings together students, business leaders, and experts from around the world. Over the weekend, attendees were offered the chance to learn more about how climate change is shaping industries and markets, where the greatest financial and operational risks lie, and what promising innovation and entrepreneurship opportunities are emerging.

The summit offered numerous workshops and panels on topics ranging from impact investing, climate change, business opportunities, and future careers related to reporting and measuring climate impact. The initial message at the conference comes as no surprise: climate change is the single greatest challenge facing our planet and humankind today. The world cannot afford to delay any longer. Addressing the impact of climate change will require the greatest reengineering of the global economy since the Industrial Revolution. In order to succeed in this “Green Revolution,” a monumental shift toward sustainability is required to successfully decarbonize our economies and provide the appropriate incentives to achieve this transformation. With this in mind, a considerable gap exists between where we are currently and where we want to be as a society. Furthermore, there does not exist a standardized methodology to measure and model climate risk that provides investors with critical research, tools, and solutions that supports their investment decisions and helps accelerate this Green Revolution.

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/climatecap-group-e1654109405835-1024x598.jpg[/img]
Goizueta Impact Investors (GII) ClimateCAP 2022 Representatives, left to right: Mauricio Vargas, Jasmine Burton 22MBA, Captain Danni Dong, and GII Managing Partner Camilo Gutierrez 22MBA/MPH.

As we complete our MBA degrees and begin our new positions in the workforce, we are mandated to drive change. One of my favorite parts of the conference was listening to the fireside chats by Rep. Sean Casten (D-IL 6th District) and Bruno Sarda (Principal/Partner EY). Both mentioned our responsibilities to become leaders of change and exhort our future employers to be more transparent to the public and to government regulators regarding mitigation of emissions. This is critical because of the abundance of uncertainty around the metrics and terminology of going “green.” In order to comply with environmental activities and regulations, many companies are using third-party platforms. Yet, in many instances, this is still in a nascent stage, and it is critical that we, as future leaders, work towards shaping this change in collaboration with governmental authorities. Companies that refuse to change will receive pressure from technological advances, regulation, and industry disruption.

A final key takeaway from the conference was regarding the growth of “green jobs” in the corporate world, including Sustainability Officer, LEED- Accredited Design Professional & Environmental Lawyer. Goizueta has taken on the challenge of creating a new generation of leaders who will successfully delve into these issues within the impact ecosystem. The school’s newly launched [url=https://goizueta.emory.edu/full-time-mba/concentration/diversity-equity-inclusion]DEI concentration[/url] will be a source of distinction that will help shape the future of business.

[img]https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/climatecap-masks-1024x685.jpg[/img]

These two years at Emory University have helped me change my perspective on sustainable business development. Successful completion of Societal Impact Class, active membership in Goizueta Impact Investors, and attendance at the MIINT (MBA Impact Investing Network & Training) competition have helped me re-shape my way of thinking and taught me how to effectively approach business opportunities.

The post [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com/future-climate-careers-in-reporting-and-measuring-climate-impact-climate-strategies-and-climate-operations/]Future Climate Careers in Reporting and Measuring Climate Impact, Climate Strategies, and Climate Operations[/url] appeared first on [url=https://www.voiceofgoizueta.com]Voice of Goizueta[/url].
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Electrification of the Transportation Industry and the Future of the G [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Electrification of the Transportation Industry and the Future of the Grid

Sanjana Dhankani 24EvMBA

I first heard about ClimateCAP 2022 through Goizueta Business School MBA student organization Goizueta Impact Investors (GII). Curious about the innovations in the ESG, sustainability, climate tech and potential career opportunities therein, I was excited for the amazing learning opportunity that the conference would offer.  As an MBA student with a background in Electrical Engineering, I was especially interested in the discussions around innovations in energy and utility industry as well as electrification of the transportation industry.

One of the most exciting discussions at ClimateCAP 2022 held at Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management was about General Motors’ pledge to an all-electric, zero-emissions future. Geraldine Barnuevo, the Senior ESG Manager at General Motors who is leading the strategic sustainability program at the company, outlined a three-pronged approach of GM’s ESG Strategy – people, planet and prosperity. The company is not only leading the development of electric vehicles (EVs) and pioneering new battery technologies and charging infrastructures, but also hopes to become the most inclusive company in the world. This bold pledge, if achieved would be a huge step in addressing one of biggest crises faced by humanity and could be a model of success for other organizations to follow.

Outside of Northwestern Kellogg where ClimateCAP 2022 was held

During another highly stimulating breakout session, representatives from companies like Google Nest, Fluence, and Edison Energy talked about the development and challenges facing the generation, storage, and transmission of electricity. Through its Nest Renew program, Google is partnering with energy providers and non-profits to achieve a carbon-free and resilient electricity grid. Edison Energy helps organizations navigate the transition to electric vehicles and alternative fuels. Programs like these support the growth of clean energy and are an important step towards decarbonizing our economy.

Overall, I enjoyed the highly engaging panel discussions and Q&A with various business leaders who are successfully and meaningfully making an impact in addressing the climate change crises, as well as networking sessions where I interacted with other like-minded MBA students. These sessions helped me understand the risks, innovations, and opportunities presented by climate change. ClimateCAP 2022 was truly a one-of-a-kind opportunity for MBA students hoping to make an impact in this area regardless of the role they pursue post-graduation and highly effective at sparking important conversations around such topics. Lastly, it highlighted that this is just the beginning of climate change disruption and that a great amount of work is ahead as we grapple with the biggest challenge of our generation.

A delegation of 18 MBA students from Emory University’s Goizueta Business School recently attended the ClimateCAP Global Summit to discuss the enormous influence and responsibility business leaders hold in driving toward a climate-smart world. Along with hundreds of leading students and professionals from across the nation, they explored the financial risks and opportunities of climate change along with important stakeholder responsibilities that define how a climate-smart business operates. Through the Business & Society Institute, students, faculty, staff, and partners focus on addressing complex challenges confronting people, the planet, and the business community through academic discovery and purposeful action. To learn more about Goizueta Business School and how principled leaders are driving positive change, visit goizueta.emory.edu

The post Electrification of the Transportation Industry and the Future of the Grid appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
May Zhou Internship Vlog Part 1 [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: May Zhou Internship Vlog Part 1
In this video, May Zhou 23BBA, a Goizueta student studying marketing and environmental science, describes her summer internship at the non-profit, Elemental Excelerator. Elemental Excelerator is a non-profit focused on funding climate teach startups and projects and has granted over $48.8 million to climate tech companies. She is joining the Engagement and Innovation team as a Creative Climate Culture Intern and will be working on content creation and communications work that will support their existing and new media platforms.

Stay tuned for part two when she describes how her internship is going!

The post May Zhou Internship Vlog Part 1 appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Fjord Explorer [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Fjord Explorer

Fjord cruise in Oslo

The Global Experiential Module (GEM) was a big draw in applying to Goizueta as I was unable to study abroad during my undergrad. Several of my friends had transformational experiences, and I was hoping to replicate that in some form. But with the extending pandemic, I was unsure if we’d be able to experience this GEM opportunity that is central to the Goizueta experience. I recall asking about GEMs constantly. Associate Dean, Full-Time MBA Programs and Goizueta Global Strategy and Initiatives Brian Mitchell and the program office probably got tired of providing the same answers (usually it was the stereotypical consultant answer: “it depends”). As time got closer, the dream of going on a GEM, at least in May, seemed to be increasingly less likely.

A glimmer of hope came when the Two-Year MBA class was able to travel to Dubai in January. The pictures on social media were stunning. I hoped to hear more about their experiences and about how Goizueta tied educational concepts in with leisurely travel.

We can always go to these places without programming from the school, but ultimately access to prominent resources and educational opportunities made me most excited.

View from vantage point of the city of Bergen

I remember the day our GEM was announced, sometime in February. Our class had to choose between two similarly themed trips: studying sustainability in Iceland or in Norway. Given that I’d visited Iceland previously, I wanted to try something new. It helped that Norwegian business was more interesting, with socialism creating a unique set of questions as to how business functioned there. The sustainability element was also exciting, as Norway is a global leader in that space. Ultimately, I was excited to go anywhere!

Prior to the trip, we had intentionally designed sessions created by Associate Professor in the Practice of Organization & Management Renée Dye to get us up to speed on all things Norwegian: culture, politics, sustainability, etc. It was great to have experts help us understand the landscape we were walking into, especially considering the majority of us had little to no experience with Norway or even Scandinavia. I found great alignment in the topic broached and the speakers invited to prep us for the trip.

Classmates taking a fun photo in the sunset on our last night in Norway

That all continued upon arrival. We had awesome content prepared for us regarding sustainability from several vantage points. We had meetings with McKinsey Norway, TeleNoord, Statkraf, and NHH Norwegian School of Economics. The academic and professional speakers all provided excellent content, giving us great context into the inner workings of Norge society. The tours and activities planned helped expose us to the day-to-day lives and expressions of Norwegian history and culture. We were able to go on a six-hour train ride through the Norwegian countryside, which allowed us to see some unreal change in terrain.

All of that was awesome, and yet, I think I got the most out of the mundane interactions with locals.

It was special for me to contextualize all that I’d heard about the Norwegian people. I loved taking the concepts learned in the sessions and asking the locals how it manifested in their context, or asking them their viewpoints on how they were seen globally. It ultimately was the most meaningful to have these people take the time to have deep conversations about the parallels between American and Norge culture.

While we were in Oslo, we were able to witness Constitution Day. This holiday served as a celebration of Norway’s independence from Denmark and Sweden. Calling it a Norwegian “Independence Day” would be doing it a disservice. I’ve never seen such a display of unity amongst people. Despite their critiques for their nation and its decisions around creating a Norwegian identity, these people all were rallying together to celebrate the independence of their nation.

Full-Time ’22 and ’23 students accompanied by Professor Renee Dye and tour guide

Lastly, this trip wouldn’t have been the same without my fellow students and Professor Dye. I already alluded to how intentional the design was about the experience, but I couldn’t imagine traveling to Norway any other way. I got so much out of the preparation and the local businesses that spent time educating us about how they functioned. I also learned so much from and about my classmates: who they were and how they thought. It was cool to experience this trip with them and I’ll forever be linked to them in this way.

Interested in learning more about Goizueta’s global programs? Learn more here or reach out to Goizueta.Global@emory.edu.

The post Fjord Explorer appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The Case for Making a Career PivotNow [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: The Case for Making a Career Pivot…Now
Research I recently conducted confirms that professionals wanting to make a career pivot should not be afraid to make a change. In a nutshell, my study found that workers who were determined to pivot were mostly successful within one year, although some took longer. These individuals also invested time to building their job skills, expanding their network, pursuing advanced degrees, and experimenting with different industries and functions by reading job descriptions and making lists of what they liked – and didn’t like – about it.

I conducted the research as part of the Directed Study elective while an Emory Executive MBA student. As someone who works in the career services field with graduate students, it was of keen interest to me and highly relevant to my work. My study was sponsored by Peter Topping, a Professor in the Practice of Organization and Management, who is renowned for his expertise in the areas of leadership development, organizational culture, and organizational change. The study contained two parts, a robust survey with 101 respondents and five case studies.

Takeaways from the research include knowing why you want to make a pivot, examining potential new work options, and trying to plan and be diligent about reaching goals before taking the leap. This would be the ideal best practice. However, as the study also reveals, sometimes circumstances happen outside of one’s control, and there is a sudden change in employment status that could prompt a pivot. People in these circumstances have found success as well. My study shows that while most people did not have an employment gap on their resume (i.e., unemployed for 6 months or longer), some do and that is not always a barrier if you can network effectively and tell a compelling story about your experience and skills and the unique value you can bring to the company.

The research also shows that investment in education produces ROI for students. The number one reason pivoters were successful was job skills, and over half of our survey respondents are currently enrolled in a masters, graduate, or executive education program. Of these, the top reason they are continuing their education is for career advancement at a different company. In addition, all our case study subjects cite education as a driver for their career pivot success.

Survey respondents shared advice for others contemplating making a career pivot:

• Grow your network and start letting others know you are interested in a pivot so they can listen for opportunities
  • Create a plan similar to a business plan, including KPIs and milestones and hold yourself accountable to those KPIs and metrics. Make sure the milestones have dates associated with
  • Study up on both the field and the industry that you’d like to pivot into. Study for field/skills should be formal; study for the industry can be formal or informal. Use that study to determine if your passion lies within the intersection of that field and that industry
  • Know your “why” extraordinarily well. Your story has to be compelling, because you’ll be competing with others who have experience in the industry that you are trying to gain entrance into. If you want an organization to take a risk on you, that’s the bare minimum you have to knock out of the park
  • Be able to speak to your current experience base and how it relates to the necessary skills and requirements for the career pivot position, and your plan for filling in any skill gaps for the career pivot position

Adding stories from the field helps to make the subject matter come alive, and we included five short case studies of professionals selected from the pool of survey respondents who opted into being contacted. Each of the case study subjects is from different industries and backgrounds, to illustrate different journeys. One goal of this study is to help others on their quest to pivot their careers to a different function or industry. These stories offer different perspectives that we hope will resonate with a broad professional population. There is no one path to reaching career pivot success, and what we found is that our case study subjects are still growing and changing, and some might pivot again.

The one constant of our cases is this: Career Pivoters are curious, enjoy being challenged, have a growth mindset, take calculated risks, and are lifelong learners.

Below are samples from the case studies:

Case Study – David:

“If you don’t view it correctly, you could view these changes as a failure. But, getting laid off was an opportunity to try something big. Consulting was an expensive experiment; however, I learned a lot about myself. It made me more resilient. My next job in consumer products, it was to turn around the worst-performing plant, and we did it. Having gone through the prior failure, it built up some toughness. It has helped me. These experiences also made me check in on my market value. I found out what the market was willing to pay for my skills and ended up making more.

Case Study – Julie:

Getting her MBA is enabling her to become fluent in the language of business. One of the benefits of graduate school, Julie shared, is thought diversity and the opportunity to meet people that her path wouldn’t otherwise cross. People with experience in different industries, environments, and perspectives have made her a better professional, she said.

Case Study – Frank:

As he transitioned out of the military, Frank finished his bachelor’s degree in computer science and then realized he had a passion for product management. He said his path was unconventional for landing his first software PM role. “People use education to pivot into product management, investment banking, or management consulting, and if you want upward mobility, an MBA is essential,” he said.

Case Study – Christopher:

“Your story was important when trying to get into b-school (on the essays and interviews) and it’s even more important for a career switcher. Because you’re asking someone to take a risk. There is no way that there is not someone waiting in the cue with 5-7 years of work experience that looks perfect on paper. When going for a competitive job, you must sound like you’re competent, you’re passionate, and that they’d like working with you because they are going to have to re-tell your story to others in the company to vouch for you. They will have to go to bat for you,” he said.

Case Study – Rose:

Rose recommends career pivoters take full advantage of LinkedIn. She said that LinkedIn was how she was able to identify contacts at the company she wanted to work with. She recommends that job seekers should be polite, curious, and not afraid to reach out to top decision-makers to connect on LinkedIn. Best practices are to only ask busy decision-makers for one thing at a time (connecting is one, seeing if someone has a moment to chat is another, and letting someone know you applied to a position on their team is another). She said to use the filters–ranging from company, geography, job title, and education–to best identify people to connect with on LinkedIn. While LinkedIn Premium has its advantages and InMail (which is only available to Premium users) might be the only way to message certain users, Rose also said that she was able to have effective connections and message communication on the free version of the platform.

Career pivoters provide an exciting look into the current professional landscape in the U.S. Their stories are unique and inspiring. Their advice is as diverse as it is useful. Simply put, it appears to be a great time to be in the workforce in the U.S., and there are a plethora of options to suit every skill level and lifestyle. As my research suggests, if you are determined enough, keep your skills sharp, network, and do your homework, a career pivot to a new function or industry is possible.

The post The Case for Making a Career Pivot…Now appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Internship Vlog Part 2 with Simran Hussain 23BBA [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: Internship Vlog Part 2 with Simran Hussain 23BBA
Goizueta student Simran Hussain 23BBA details how her adidas internship is going in part two of her internship blog series. Here, she discusses an intern immersion trip to LA, some of the work she has done so far, and many things she has learned in her summer program at adidas that will help her succeed in the future.

The post Internship Vlog Part 2 with Simran Hussain 23BBA appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2023 Best & Brightest Business Major: Osereme Ujadughele [#permalink]
FROM Goizueta Emory Admissions Blog: 2023 Best & Brightest Business Major: Osereme Ujadughele

• Osereme Ujadughele 23MBA

Osereme “Ose” Ujadughele
Emory University
Goizueta Business School

Describe yourself in 15 words or less: Spirited and passionate Nigerian-American, curating positive vibes to add a little extra spice to life.

Hometown: Long Beach, California

Fun Fact About Yourself: Three years ago, I adopted a beautiful lab/akita mix puppy who would probably demand way more treats if she knew how many times I’ve used her as a fun fact. Growing up, both of my parents had a big fear of dogs, but it’s safe to say that my mom and Shadow are now best friends. My dad is still a work in progress.

Undergraduate School and Major: Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering with a Nutrition and Food Minor from the University of California, Davis (Go Ags!)

Most Recent Employer and Job Title: Supply Chain Advanced Team Leader at E&J Gallo Winery

What makes Atlanta such a great place to earn an MBA?

Atlanta is literally buzzing right now! Every sector seems to be growing from construction and tech to media and entertainment. Atlanta is becoming a hub for business and innovation so whatever you are looking to do, you’re likely to find it here. Additionally, with Atlanta being such an electric city, it attracts people from diverse backgrounds and walks of life. It was very important for me to get my MBA in a place that would expand my cultural network, while also making me feel at home. For that, Atlanta was a perfect fit.

Aside from your classmates and location, what was the key part of Emory Goizueta’s MBA programming that led you to choose this business school and why was it so important to you?

Hands down, I’d say Goizueta’s leadership-based curriculum attracted me the most to the program. At Goizueta, there’s a plethora of opportunities to really lean into your leadership style through programs such as the Delta Leadership Coaching Fellows and Goizueta Advanced Leadership Academy. Being a great people leader has always been on the top of my list. I remember when I graduated from college and transitioned from peer leadership at school to leading very tenured employees in my first month on the job. I learned so much about myself during that time and 4 years later I’m still eager to learn more. I felt that Goizueta’s strong emphasis on leadership in and outside of the classroom would help me build my leadership abilities in and outside of my career.

What course, club or activity excites you the most at Emory Goizueta (and why)?

The Black MBA Association. I just love my people and I’m here for all the black excellence! At Emory specifically, the support from members of the Black community has been instrumental in my business school journey so far. It’s exciting to be surrounded by people who not only look like me, but have similar mindsets, ambitions and cultural experiences. Having such a vibrant and active black community creates an environment where I can just relax, reset and rejuvenate throughout business school.

Describe your biggest accomplishment in your career so far:

I think my biggest accomplishment at E&J Gallo Winery is probably where I noticed my own personal growth. I came into Gallo as part of their operations management development program which allowed me to rotate into a different role every year for 3 years. A few months into my last rotation, my coworker transitioned into a new role which left the newest member of the team (ME!) leading a large operation with 65 front-line team members. Before I knew it, the rest of the year went by, and I had become the subject matter expert for the department. This was a pivotal moment in my journey where I realized just how much I could do if I stretched myself. I believe that moment of realization gave me the confidence boost to accelerate my career and pursue my MBA.

How did COVID-19 change your perspective on your career and your life in general?

I don’t think I realized how serious Covid was until I went grocery shopping and couldn’t find my basic foods; let alone trying to find a roll of tissue paper. Seeing so many businesses challenged by the pandemic highlighted a lot of opportunities in the supply chain space that I eagerly wanted to explore. More personally, I got Covid in December 2020, after the pandemic had been a bit more normalized. Honestly, I had never felt so scared and alone in my life. I remember just thinking about how much worse it was for people who got it in the beginning and how lonely they must have felt. Being the dramatic person I am, I literally went through each day thinking about my future, the things I wanted to do, and the places I wanted to go. Now having survived Covid, my new outlook on life is to not hold myself back, live courageously; and live with a purpose, starting with this MBA journey.

What led you to pursue an MBA at this point and what do you hope to do after graduation?

So, I’m a big foodie! I love going to new restaurants in different cities and experiencing different cultures through them. My friends and I created this travel group pre-pandemic where we traveled somewhere new each year for Nigeria’s Independence Day. While there were always so many food options, we quickly realized how difficult it was to find African food in general across the country. We started talking about how great it would be to have more African representation in the food and restaurant industry and that just sparked a light in me. Long-term, I’m hoping to use my background in operations, MBA network and skills to open African restaurants that curate a flavorful and authentic experience, while filling the cultural gap in the food space. Since there are so many avenues I could choose, I think right after graduation, I’m hoping to work in a general management function at a strong CPG or retail company.

What advice would you give to help potential applicants gain admission into Emory Goizueta’s MBA program?

Based off my own experience, the best advice I can give is to know who you are and what drives you and be nothing less than your authentic self. I did A LOT of introspection during the application process to figure out what truly mattered to me and how to communicate that in my interactions with the admissions committee. If you can do this, it will be easier for you to show alignment with one or more of Goizueta’s core values – courage, integrity, accountability, rigor, diversity, team, and community.

Interested in exploring Full-Time MBA opportunities? Learn more about Goizueta’s Full-Time MBA program.

First published in Poets&Quants.

The post 2023 Best & Brightest Business Major: Osereme Ujadughele appeared first on Voice of Goizueta.
GMAT Club Bot
2023 Best & Brightest Business Major: Osereme Ujadughele [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8