Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Send PM
Re: Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethica [#permalink]
EBITDA wrote:
Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is emotion, not logic or analytical reasoning.

A) the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is

From my point of view, the meaning of the correct answer (option A) is not totally precise and, hence, the sentence could be improved.

It says "the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas". Well, everyone (or almost everyone) pondered ethical dilemmas in the past. Hence, this is somehow vague or inconcrete.

The idea would be better expressed if it said something like "the brain scans of volunteers while they pondered ethical dilemmas".

Your thoughts on this idea will be greatly appreciated.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU AND SO EVEN I WAS NOT CONVINCED WITH THE OPTION BEING RIGHT.
PRACTICALLY, SPEAKING, IN REAL-LIFE SITUATIONS, SCIENTISTS WOULD USUALLY DO THIS ACT OF TESTING THE BRAIN SCANS LIVE. THAT IS THEY WOULD GIVE THE SUBJECTS SOME QUESTIONS OR EXERCISE IN A LAB AND THEN TEST THEIR BRSIN AREAS SIMULTANEOUSLY. I DONT KNOW OF ANY DEVELOPMENTS IN SCIENCE THAT CAN USE PAST BRAIN SCANS TO UNDERSTAND HOW A VOLUNTEER'S BRAIN REACTED TO A ETHICAL DILEMA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethica [#permalink]
thanhmaitran wrote:
Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is emotion, not logic or analytical reasoning.

(A) the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is

(B) the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas and found the basis to make tough moral decisions to be

(C) the brain scans of volunteers pondering ethical dilemmas and found that the basis for making tough moral decisions is

(D) volunteers’ brain scans while pondering ethical dilemmas have found the basis to make tough moral judgments to be

(E) volunteers’ brain scans while they pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is

ok first of all we have to figure out what is the intended meaning of the original sentences, which is the researchers found something ..... blah is blah,
and B and C are out for the first glance. Because whenever you see an "add" immediately links to parallelism structure, what another independent idea is parallel with FOUND.
The answer is none of them. Next step, how about D and E. Possessive.. huh...interesting and then pondering pops out, well let me wonder who is pondering now. There're no subjects we can refer to. So eliminate D and E. there we go.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethica [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one problem at a time, and narrow it down to the correct choice! Before we get started, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

(A) the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is
(B) the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas and found the basis to make tough moral decisions to be
(C) the brain scans of volunteers pondering ethical dilemmas and found that the basis for making tough moral decisions is
(D) volunteers’ brain scans while pondering ethical dilemmas have found the basis to make tough moral judgments to be
(E) volunteers’ brain scans while they pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is

After a quick scan over the options, there are a few things we can focus on to narrow down our choices:
1. the brain scans of volunteers / volunteers' brain scans
2. have found / and found
3. for making / to make
4. is / to be

Let's start with #1 on our list: the brain scans of volunteers vs. volunteers' brain scans. While it seems like these two phrases could be interchangeable, they are not! Let's take a look at each option with the beginning of the sentence plugged in to see the difference:

(A) Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is --> OKAY
(It's clear that the researchers are studying brain scans from volunteers who were pondering ethical dilemmas.)

(B) Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas and found the basis to make tough moral decisions to be --> OKAY
(It's clear that the researchers are studying brain scans from volunteers who were pondering ethical dilemmas.)

(C) Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers pondering ethical dilemmas and found that the basis for making tough moral decisions is --> OKAY

(D) Researchers studying volunteers’ brain scans while pondering ethical dilemmas have found the basis to make tough moral judgments to be --> INCORRECT
(The meaning of this sentence is unclear! Who was pondering ethical dilemmas? You could make a case that the researchers are pondering ethical dilemmas, or maybe the volunteers are? If it's not 100% clear, let's eliminate it due to vagueness!)

(E) Researchers studying volunteers’ brain scans while they pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is --> INCORRECT
(This is also unclear, thanks to the vague pronoun "they." WHO pondered ethical dilemmas? It's not clear at all if the pronoun "they" is referring to researchers or volunteers, so let's rule this one out too!)

We can eliminate options D & E because they include vague phrases or pronouns, which is a big no-no on the GMAT!

Now that we're left with 3 options, let's move on to #2 on the list: and found vs. have found. This is a verb issue, so let's take a look at each option with the rest of the sentence plugged in to spot the problem. To make it easier, I've also highlighted the subject of the sentence. It should be clear to you what the subject and verb are, and they should agree:

(A) Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas have found that the basis for making tough moral judgments is emotion, not logic or analytical reasoning.

This is CORRECT! It's clear that the researchers were the ones who found that the basis for making judgements is emotion, not the volunteers!

(B) Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers who pondered ethical dilemmas and found the basis to make tough moral decisions to be emotion, not logic or analytical reasoning.

This is INCORRECT because it changes the intended meaning. This sentence states that the volunteers pondered ethical dilemmas AND found the basis of making tough decision to be emotions. This isn't true - the researchers are the ones who found it!

(C) Researchers studying the brain scans of volunteers pondering ethical dilemmas and found that the basis for making tough moral decisions is emotion, not logic or analytical reasoning.

This is also INCORRECT because it changes meaning. It also gives the volunteers credit for finding the basis of making tough decisions, not the researchers!

There you have it - option A was correct all along! If we focus on one problem at a time, we can narrow down the options quickly and arrive at the right answer!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

GMATNinja,

This is a follow-up to my question on "they" that I asked for OG question 833 ("The Eastern State Penitentiary was established in 1822 by reformers advocating that prisoners be held in solitary confinement and hard labor so as to reform them." question)

For choice (E), shouldn't "they" logically refer to the "researchers"? I do not understand the potential for vagueness here.

Thank you so much again :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
GMATNinja,

This is a follow-up to my question on "they" that I asked for OG question 833 ("The Eastern State Penitentiary was established in 1822 by reformers advocating that prisoners be held in solitary confinement and hard labor so as to reform them." question)

For choice (E), shouldn't "they" logically refer to the "researchers"? I do not understand the potential for vagueness here.

Thank you so much again :)

It's tough to tell what "they" is doing in (E). If "they" refers to "researchers" the sentence doesn't make much sense. Why would the people studying the scans think about ethical dilemmas? Isn't the whole point to see what's going on in the brains of the subjects as they ponder these dilemmas?

So you could argue that "they" must refer to the "volunteers," but it takes some real work and rereading to get there. Is it a concrete error that I'd use to eliminate (E) right away? Probably not.

But is it an issue I'd use to differentiate between my final two answer choices once I've picked off all the low-hanging fruit? You bet. Option (A) gets rid of the pronoun completely, and is just generally clearer, so it's better even if (E) isn't inherently wrong.

The takeaway: think about the way you set your priorities when evaluating SC options. First get rid of answer choices that are definitively wrong in any context. Then move on to the ones you'll only eliminate once you've compared them to a clearer or more logical alternative.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts