It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 21:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:47) correct 20% (00:36) wrong based on 200 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
Math question.jpg
Math question.jpg [ 59.49 KiB | Viewed 3872 times ]

On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the following inequalities?

A) |x| <= 4

B) |x| <= 8

C) |x - 2| <= 4

D) |x - 2| <= 6

E) |x + 2| <= 6

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Since the question appears in the Official Guide, I can see the GMAC's solution.

However, I barely have any knowledge about graphing inequalities. I know when to fill in and when not to fill in the dot and can graph a very easy inequality like x < 4, but this question is by far too much for me. For example, the solution says something about the midpoint of the interval from -8 to 4. Of course I can calculate the midpoint of that, but why is this the interval? And how do you go on with the calculation? I have never covered this at school.

Could someone please write a short guide about how to solve graphing inequalities problems? What one has to do and how you do it. I cannot find anything like that on the internet :(

Thanks a lot for any answer!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Apr 2016, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
The Shaded region in the graph is -8 <= x <=4
Now we need to solve all the option choices to see which one is having this solution

A) |x| <= 4 means that -4 <= x <= 4 Not the answer we are looking for
B) |x| <= 8 means that -8 <= x <= 8 Not the answer we are looking for
C) |x-2| <= 4 means that -4 <= x-2 <= 4, which means -2 <= x <=6 Not the one
D) |x-2| <= 6 means that -6 <= x-2 <= 6, which means -4 <= x <=8 Not the one
E) |x+2| <= 6 means that -6 <= x+2 <= 6, which means -8 <= x <=4 This is what we were looking for.
Sp, Answer will be E

Hope it helps!

Flexxice wrote:
Attachment:
Math question.jpg

On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the following inequalities?

A) |x| <= 4

B) |x| <= 8

C) |x - 2| <= 4

D) |x - 2| <= 6

E) |x + 2| <= 6

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Since the question appears in the Official Guide, I can see the GMAC's solution.

However, I barely have any knowledge about graphing inequalities. I know when to fill in and when not to fill in the dot and can graph a very easy inequality like x < 4, but this question is by far too much for me. For example, the solution says something about the midpoint of the interval from -8 to 4. Of course I can calculate the midpoint of that, but why is this the interval? And how do you go on with the calculation? I have never covered this at school.

Could someone please write a short guide about how to solve graphing inequalities problems? What one has to do and how you do it. I cannot find anything like that on the internet :(

Ankit

Check my Tutoring Site -> Brush My Quant

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G
Re: On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Flexxice wrote:
Attachment:
Math question.jpg

A) |x| <= 4

B) |x| <= 8

C) |x - 2| <= 4

D) |x - 2| <= 6

E) |x + 2| <= 6

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The absolute value function will be symmetrical about the centre. The centre point of the shaded region is -2. The distance on either side is 6. So the inequality will be
|x + 2| <= 6

If you plot this on the number line, you will shade 6 points to the right of -2 and 6 to the left of -2 (which is equal to the actual shaded region)

For more on this, check: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/01 ... edore-did/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 05:50
Flexxice wrote:
Attachment:
Math question.jpg

A) |x| <= 4

B) |x| <= 8

C) |x - 2| <= 4

D) |x - 2| <= 6

E) |x + 2| <= 6

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Hi,
you can easily discard A, B and C as the total in each choice can never be 8 or 4, which are the edge points of the LINE...
For choosing between D and E, let me tell you what does a linear equality actually mean..
1) |x|<=4
this is SAME as |x-0|<=4..
this means x is less than or equal to 4 units away from 0 on either side.. so edge points are 0+4 on ONE end and 0-4 on the OTHER end...

2) |x - 1|<=4
this means x is less than or equal to 4 units away from 1 on either side.. so edge points are 1+4=5 on ONE end and 1-4=-3 on the OTHER end

similarly try for D and E, and you will realize E is the answer

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern
On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 21:21
Thanks a lot to all of you! You guys really helped me a lot!

One last question:

If it asked about graphing /x + 2/ => 6, what would the illustration look like?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Flexxice wrote:
Thanks a lot to all of you! You guys really helped me a lot!

One last question:

If it asked about graphing /x + 2/ => 6, what would the illustration look like?

The shading would be the reverse of current shading in that case. Whatever is shaded now would be unshaded and whatever is not shaded right now, would be shaded.
In that case, the shaded region would be 4 and to the right of 4 and -8 and to the left of -8. All these values will satisfy |x+2| >= 6

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 06:46
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 19:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

You can use the answer choices 'against' the prompt to quickly eliminate options and zero-in on the correct answer.

From the given Number Line, we know that every number form -8 to +4 (inclusive) must 'fit' the correct answer, so we can start by plugging -8 and +4 into each of the choices. If you find an answer is not mathematically correct, then you can eliminate it. By plugging in these two values, we can quickly eliminate Answers A, C and D.

From here, we have to 'nitpick' what each inequality actually refers to in a bit more detail. Answer B tells us that |X| <= 8, but that Number Line would include X=5, X=6, X=7 and X=8 among it's solutions.... and the Number Line we were given does NOT. Thus, we can eliminate Answer B.

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2017, 19:16

On the number line, the shaded interval is the graph of which of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap