GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 03:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Aug 2019, 13:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (01:32) correct 42% (01:29) wrong based on 130 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he had hoped.

A. Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he had hoped.
B. Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he hoped.
C. As Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he had hoped.
D.Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, he had hoped and the artificial bases didn’t work.
E. When Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms at any time, according to his designs, he had hoped and the artificial bases didn’t work.

Kindly give +1 kudos.

Originally posted by Rashed12 on 24 Feb 2019, 10:44.
Last edited by Rashed12 on 03 Aug 2019, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 10:50
Could you explain why C is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 10:58
nikdan wrote:
Could you explain why C is wrong?

"Once" is determining time. It is replaced by when. Therefore "as" is not correct here.
C is not correct.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
GPA: 3.12
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 11:08
Rashed12 wrote:
Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he had hoped.

A. Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he had hoped.
B. Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he hoped.
C. As Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, the artificial bases didn’t work as he had hoped.
D.Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according to his designs, he had hoped and the artificial bases didn’t work.
E. When Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms at any time, according to his designs, he had hoped and the artificial bases didn’t work.

IMO A!
I focused on meaning as taught in a webinar by egmat.
Also it uses the correct tense and includes the word “Had”
A friend of mine gave me this amazing tip he said “whenever one action is done before another one in the past we use “had”

B omits “had” which kinda changes the meaning

C “As Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined..”
the word AS changes the meaning and (correct me if I am wrong) it suggests that action A (combined real atoms) and action B (bases didn’t act as he had hoped) happened at the same time.

D
“he had hoped and the artificial bases didn’t work.“
Again meaning changed and makes the sentence a bit awkward

E
Same as D
The start “when” is also wrong

Experts please correct my approach. Other than that I hope this helped

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2019, 07:21
Rashed12 wrote:

Meaning: the bases didn't work as he HAD hoped, once he and the others combined real atoms.
Rule: Past Perfect Tense or "had" is used to describe an event in the past before another event in the past.
Here, we need "had" as the correct tense, because the Dr. "hoped" before he "combined the atoms", and both of these happened sequentially in the past.

(B) missing "had".
(C) "as" in this context can be used to indicate that something happens during the time when something is taking place, or it can be used to say "because" or "since"; both cases distorts the intended meaning: the bases didn't work because they combined the atoms, we can't infer that, maybe it was something else; also, the bases didn't work while they combined the atoms, they didn't work after or "once" they combined the atoms.
(D) "combined real atoms…he had hoped and the artificial bases didn’t work" this is not parallel and unintended.
(E) "combined real atoms…he had hoped and the artificial bases didn’t work" this is not parallel and unintended; also, "when" is used to express at or during the time that, which in this is unintended;

Answer (A).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2019, 07:21

Once Dr. Benner and his colleagues combined real atoms, according

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics