Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Taking an exam with a pistol pointed on your head [#permalink]
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
Quote:
At the end of the first break she didn't respond: I allowed the final 3 minutes of the break time to redo the 360° check, but she responded only when the second part of the exam had already started, which made me lose at least valuable minutes

If you request a free retake via GMAC, try to mention indisputable evidence. For example, the proctor not responding once your second section began.

Thanks, i will certainly give it a shot however i think that another online gmat will turn out in the exact same way.

Do you know if I can retake the exam offline without waiting the 16 days? Bc now on the website it seems that i am able to book it for the next week.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Taking an exam with a pistol pointed on your head [#permalink]
gmatycoon wrote:

Do you know if I can retake the exam offline without waiting the 16 days? Bc now on the website it seems that i am able to book it for the next week.

gmatycoon There is no waiting period if the mode of the examination changes.

If you're able to find an offline slot go for it; you don't have to wait for 16 days.

Wishing you the best for the next attempt!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
gmatycoon wrote:
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
Quote:
At the end of the first break she didn't respond: I allowed the final 3 minutes of the break time to redo the 360° check, but she responded only when the second part of the exam had already started, which made me lose at least valuable minutes

If you request a free retake via GMAC, try to mention indisputable evidence. For example, the proctor not responding once your second section began.

Thanks, i will certainly give it a shot however i think that another online gmat will turn out in the exact same way.

Yes, a person could possibly take the Online exam on a Monday and take the in-person exam on a Tuesday.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatycoon wrote:
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
Quote:

Yes, you an take the in-person exam right away. There is no waiting period.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am so sorry gmatycoon - that is tough and that sucks.

I think you should raise it to the GMAC and mention that while you are not disputing your score, this is a test proctor from hell (make it more professional sounding than this) and that their actions have adversely impacted your experience and performance on the test.

This will help keep GMAC aware of the issues and maybe (hopefully) will score you a retake or a discount.

P.S. Unfortunately the only way to deal with situations like these (very sad reality) is to unplug your router/computer and basically sabotage your test. If the test is not finished and it got interrupted, that means you will get to retake it but once you have completed the test, there is not much hope. Sorry!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 238
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
gmatycoon wrote:
Hi folks,

I have just finished taking online gmat. The last 4 hours have been the worst of my life due to the stress induced by the proctor.

Starting with the check in, it took me 30 minutes to explain her that my first name is composed of two words. She was an indian girl very bad at english and it was impossible to understand her as well. I know many indian people and I don't struggle to communicate with them. Maybe before hiring people EXAMINITY should ensure that prospective employees are able to speak english fluently....

Apart from that, during the exam, she threatened me several times that she would have had cancelled my exam because i was tilting my head (how could I write on the whiteboard without tilting my head!) and that would have been the final warning (she told 4-5 times). Furthermore, she blocked without any reason the exam multiple times (maybe it was a glitch of the browser) and we needed to login in on Respondus several times.

Starting from Verbal, i need to consider myself lucky, as 2 out of 4 texts were on topics I am familiar with (finance/management related). CR were all inference/find the assumption questions and just one was weakening. SC was all about parallelism/modifiers. At the end, I was almost sure that I aced it.

At the end of the first break she didn't respond: I allowed the final 3 minutes of the break time to redo the 360° check, but she responded only when the second part of the exam had already started, which made me lose at least valuable minutes. Naturally, all these things put together made me almost freak out; however, i tried to stay focused on the exam.

Coming to Quant, during which the proctor interrupted me several times, the problem is that I couldn't focus much because of the stress. Worse yet, if i couldn't find the solution in 90sec i rushed the solution. I also struggled to do super easy questions (sub 600) because of the stress.

Finally, IR seemed much harder than the mock I have taken, but i repeated the same pattern of Quant. AWA was super feasible because the argument was finance related.

In conclusion, despite two days ago I scored 670 (47Q, 35V) on the 4th official mock (without cheating) , today I scored a miserable 590 (42Q, 29V). The incredible thing is that I consider myself much more adept at the verbal section rather than at the Quant section. For instance, I am able to ace 700-level questions with 50% accuracy on Verbal, while I am not even able to understand 700-Level quant questions. Accuracy on 600-700 level questions is much higher: 80-90% for Verbal and 60-70% for Quant (depending on the topic).

Consider that I have been studying intensely for 35 days and I spent more than 250 hours studying on the forum, magoosh and TTP. In other words, I know what I am doing. I track accurately the time as I use Pomofocus and I regularly update my error log and the notes with the new things that i learn.

Now what? Does it make sense appealing to GMAC? Do you think that my weak result is attributable ONLY to the stress or maybe the groundwork isn't super solid? Maybe I am burned out after one month of intense studying? TBH I have never studied so hard during my entire life.

Of course, if in the future I will retake the gmat I will take it in the test center, but time is running and the deadline for R3 is near. (HEC Paris 1st March - LBS 7 March). For those who haven't taken the gmat yet i would say: do yourself a pleasure and go to the nearest test center, unless you are OK to take an exam with a pistol pointed on your head.

I am sorry about your experience.
In my first attempt, I was as frustrated as you. My proctor kept interrupting me to get a 360 view. It happened 3 times in the verbal section and the last one was in the last 10 mins. This was because the camera in my laptop was capturing my head and neck. Proctor wanted the top half of my body. I was not able to see the screen properly if I tilted the screen down to that angle. I kept on adjusting the screen and showing the room throughout the exam :(

Based on my experience, I asked my wife to take a center-based GMAT. And her experience was good, with no interruptions.
I would suggest if you plan, do go for a center-based GMAT.
Hope things go smoothly for you! Good luck. :thumbsup:
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts