GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights usin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Re: Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights usin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 00:37
MarkSullivan wrote:
Qassam wrote:
It is a bit odd to see that the right answer in a "strengthener" question attacks a premise! the new airport was supposed to be an "attractive alternative" as mentioned in the stimulus. Are you sure of the source of this question?

This is from OG 13 – #22 in the CR section.

This is framed as a Strengthen question, but it's actually best to think of it as a Weaken!

Note that the argument is deconstructed as

- We need a 10% reduction to help with delays.
- Expanding a nearby airport could make that airport attractive for up to 20% of the passengers.

Then the "experts" basically say "this plan won't work". Since we're asked to justify the experts' opinion, we could think of this as weakening the unstated conclusion "this plan will work."

(E) does not attack a premise. Rather, it basically gives a reason for why switching to the alternative airport won't be a good option for the airlines. The premise states that switch would be appealing to the passengers. Well, if it's appealing to the passengers, but the airlines have a reason not to do it, that weakens the claim that the plan will work!

Hope that helps!

Mark

adding to it:
the premise says
1.to avoid delays,10 percent reduction in schedule flight is needed
2.20 percent people can be attracted to the new airport
but the argument never says that 20 percent passengers are needed to divert to other airport to avoid delay
so the strengthener is not attacking the premise
here the strengthener will suggest that even after the alternate airport is fully developed, people will not switch to the new airport ,but rather use the old airport
option e gives such a reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights usin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 21:08
ClassSkippa wrote:
lorenzo393 wrote:
I have a doubt, ok the answer is E and the other answ choices are easy to eliminate,but in E there is an assumption that the other airport will not be a regional hub. Because if it is I don't think E could be correct. because ok if I am free to assume that the Hevelia airstrip could be also a regional hub I will not be able to solve the problem,I think.
In many CR questions I don't know how much I can assume from the answer choices can someone help mE?

It's a good doubt, E requires the assumption that 40 miles is too far and airlines won't re-schedule their flights to use that as the new hub. To me this doesn't be a problem, 40 miles isn't far when you are flying at blazing speed.

C to me is a great contender: more development = more congestion, thus we don't get the added benefits. But C is more uncertain than E, therefore E is correct. Does it make sense? Sorta, but not great. It's one of those cases where we just hail to the GMAC lords.

C doesnt make sense.

What happens will Havelia is not the concern of the argument.We need to weaken the fact that the the plan will not be successful even if
Havelia is operational.
...so somehow airlines traffic wont be reduced there..Here it talks about it being social magnet..so a little off tangent to the discussion in hand ..

Press Kudos if it helps!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V26
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 05:37
position: experts reject the claim that turning Hevelia into a full-service airport would end the chronic delays at Greentown.
A
B
C
D
E correct.
even if flights are diverted to other airport more than 50% of the flights have passengers who will still have to board thier connecting flight from the greentown airport.So the problem of chronic delays will not be avoided

Posted from my mobile device
B
Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights usin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 08:40
teal wrote:
Can someone please explain why C does not make sense or out of scope - Doesn't increase in commercial and residential development mean that possibly more people taking flights and so more demand for flights and hence flight delay does not get any better.

How is this choice out of scope?

(C) Hevelia airstrip lies in a relatively undeveloped area but would, if it became a full-service airport, be a magnet for commercial and residential development.

HI

Choice C explains, if Hevelia is operated as a full service airport then there will be some developments. Then opening at Hevelia is a good plan.

But we have to select an option like opening at Hevelia will not provide any advantages for customers.

Why it is out of scope bcz we are not focussed on developments after opening of Hevelia airport. we are more considering delay times for customers.

Hope above explanation helps.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 20:49
It is one of those questions where the correct answer choice is not direct but,nevertheless, we have to take our learnings.
Since most of us were narrow the answer choices to C and E. I will only write about them.

(C) Hevelia airstrip lies in a relatively undeveloped area but would, if it became a full-service airport, be a magnet for commercial and residential development. - Well, the first line of the argument talks about reducing the number of scheduled flights, that will allow for delays to be avoided. Now, even if the undeveloped area where the Havelia airstrip lies invites commercial and residential development, we cannot assume that the airport will no longer be able to serve the 10% of the flights operating out of Greentown's airport. Hence, the choice does not support the experts prediction.

(E) Several airlines use Greentown as a regional hub, so that most flights landing at Greentown have many passengers who then take different flights to reach their final destinations. - Now, this is a little twisted way of supporting that the plan will not succeed. The choice says that the flight operations by several airlines cannot be shifted to Hevelia airstrip for the reason give by the choice. If that cannot happen, then the delays cannot be avoided and hence the plan will fail to work even though you have a well developed Havelia airstrip ready for use. Right choice.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2019, 07:59
Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights using Greentown's airport will allow the delays that are so common there to be avoided. Hevelia airstrip, 40 miles away, would, if upgraded and expanded, be an attractive alternative for fully 20 percent of the passengers using Greentown airport. Nevertheless, experts reject the claim that turning Hevelia into a full-service airport would end the chronic delays at Greentown.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the experts' position?

(A) Turning Hevelia into a full-service airport would require not only substantial construction at the airport itself, but also the construction of new access highways.
The experts position has to do with the chronic delays that will not be alleviated at Greentown. This has nothing to do with Greentown. Eliminate it

(B) A second largely undeveloped airstrip close to Greentown airport would be a more attractive alternative than Hevelia for many passengers who now use Greentown.
Adding flights to use on this airstrip may alleivate the problem, but it could also make it worse because of a higher volume of overall flights being at the airstrip

(C) Hevelia airstrip lies in a relatively undeveloped area but would, if it became a full-service airport, be a magnet for commercial and residential development.
Irrelevant to Greentown

(D) If an airplane has to wait to land, the extra jet fuel required adds significantly to the airline's costs.
Irrelevant to Greentown

(E) Several airlines use Greentown as a regional hub, so that most flights landing at Greentown have many passengers who then take different flights to reach their final destinations.
This explains why the chronic delays will continue. The passengers are landing there regardless of what happens in Hevelia
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights usin   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2019, 07:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights usin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics