GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ostrich farming requires far less acreage than cattle ranching require

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Ostrich farming requires far less acreage than cattle ranching require  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 00:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:59) correct 47% (02:04) wrong based on 278 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ostrich farming requires far less acreage than cattle ranching requires, and ostriches reproduce much faster than cattle. Starting out in cattle ranching requires a large herd of cows, one bull, and at least two acres per cow. By contrast, two pairs of yearling ostriches and one acre of similar land are enough to begin ostrich farming. The start-up costs for ostrich farming are greater, but it can eventually bring in as much as five times what cattle ranching does.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the information above?

.(A)  Two pairs of yearling ostriches are more expensive than a herd of cows and a bull.

.(B)  Cattle ranching is not a good source of income.

.(C)  A cow consumes no more feed than an ostrich does.

.(D)  The average ostrich farm generates almost five times as much profit as the average cattle ranch.

.(E)  Ostrich farmers typically lose money during their first year.

Source : LSAT
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ostrich farming requires far less acreage than cattle ranching require  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 02:13
Inference question.

We must choose the option that’s absolutely coherent with the argument provided.

From all the facts given, the following could be inferred.

As per the argument, the start-up costs of ostrich farming are higher than those of cattle ranching.

What needs to be bought to start-up both?

Ostrich farming: 2 pairs of ostriches and 1 acre land.

Cattle ranching: a herd of cows, one bull and 2 acre land per cow.

If we compare the costs above, the land costs are common in both — it’s clear that the land required for cattle ranching is more than that required for ostrich farming. This, land costs for cattle ranching are higher than those for ostrich farming.
Even then, the start up costs for ostrich farming are higher. This shows that the cost of 2 pairs of ostriches must definitely be higher than the cost of a herd of cows and a bull.

Option A says just that.

Posted from my mobile device

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people to think they can't lose" - Bill Gates.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Ostrich farming requires far less acreage than cattle ranching require  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 02:28
Heisenberg12 wrote:
Inference question.

We must choose the option that’s absolutely coherent with the argument provided.

As per the argument, the start-up costs of ostrich farming are higher than those of cattle ranching.

If we compare the costs above, the land costs are common in both — it’s clear that the land required for cattle ranching is more than that required for ostrich farming. This, land costs for cattle ranching are higher than those for ostrich farming.
Even then, the start up costs for ostrich farming are higher. This shows that the cost of 2 pairs of ostriches must definitely be higher than the cost of a herd of cows and a bull.

Option A says just that.

Nowhere it is mentioned that 2 ostriches cost more than a herd of cow and a bull. Passage mentions that it cost more to set up a ostrich firm that to set up a cattle ranch. May be other things in the ostrich firm escalate the cost. So I think we can't say that A is true.

IMO D

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

"The harder you work the luckier you get"

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 02:54
aghosh54 wrote:
Heisenberg12 wrote:
Inference question.

Option A says just that.

Nowhere it is mentioned that 2 ostriches cost more than a herd of cow and a bull. Passage mentions that it cost more to set up a ostrich firm that to set up a cattle ranch. May be other things in the ostrich firm escalate the cost. So I think we can't say that A is true.

IMO D

Yes nowhere ..there is discussion about the costs of animals...i agree with D.

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 06:23
vineethk929, aghosh54

Hey,

This is an inference question. we need to choose option strongly supported by passage.
It's the answer that gets the most support, compared to the other answers, even if it isn't absolutely proven by the facts in the stimulus.

in A) vs D)

(A) Two pairs of yearling ostriches are more expensive than a herd of cows and a bull.

.(D) The average ostrich farm generates almost five times as much profit as the average cattle ranch.

We know A is not directly supported, but it can be inferred from these 2 lines from passage

"By contrast, two pairs of yearling ostriches and one acre of similar land are enough to begin ostrich farming. The start-up costs for ostrich farming are greater"(while reading passage I wondered why its greater)

So cost of ostrich must be higher. So keep option A.

while others are easy to eliminate. D is sure an candidate.

but D shows classical mistake of generalisation. Passage says "it can eventually bring in as much as five times what cattle ranching does."

The average ostrich farm generates almost five times as much profit as the average cattle ranch.
we can't say this to every average ostrich farm.
what is true generally is may not be true for any average farm.
so D fails.

Explanation from another forum:

answer choice (D): the stimulus indicates that ostrich farms "can eventually bring in as much as five times what cattle ranching does," but it does not say that every, or even most, ostrich farms do so. That's a problem, because answer choice (D) says: "The average ostrich farm generates almost five times as much profit as the average cattle ranch." But we don't know that the average ostrich farm does this; we only know that some ostrich farms can do this. Think of it this way: let's say there are 10 ostrich farms at 10 cattle raches, and the ostrich farms can generate 5 times more profit. Each cattle ranch generates $1, which means that each ostrich farm can generate up to $5. But they don't all have to...so lets say that 1 ostrich farm brings in $5, but the others all bring in $1. Does the average ostrich farm now bring in 5 times the average cattle ranch? It doesn't...the average ostrich farm brings in $1.4, while the average cattle ranch brings in $1. Not a difference of a multiple of five. In other words,just because an ostrich farm can bring in up to 5 times as much as a cattle ranch doesn't mean it will...and that is the issue with answer choice (D).

Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 07:37
vineethk929 wrote:
aghosh54 wrote:
Heisenberg12 wrote:
Inference question.

Option A says just that.

IMO D

The question asks about what can be inferred from the passage.
It would be too far-fetched to assume that "other" things might raise start-up costs. From what's mentioned in the passage, if the start-up costs of Ostrich farming are more than those of cattle ranching but land required for cattle ranching is more than that required for Ostrich farming, the only plausible inference is that Ostriches cost more than cattle.

Why Option D is wrong?
The argument mentions that Ostrich farm brings as much as five times the cattle ranch does. What does the author talk about - 5 times profits or 5 times revenue? Thus, D can't be inferred from the argument.

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people to think they can't lose" - Bill Gates.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 08:39
The land cost is not accounted for while choosing A as an answer. What is wrong with E?

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 20:47
ApocalyptoRishi wrote:
The land cost is not accounted for while choosing A as an answer. What is wrong with E?

Option E may be true but it's not necessarily true. And we are looking at the answer choice that is necessarily true.

Now we know that the start-up costs of Ostrich Farming are high. And farmers may lose some money. But can we be entirely sure that the farmer will lose money in the first year?

It may be possible that the farmer spent $10,000 on starting up an Ostrich farm. He may earn less than $10,000 in the first year or more than that; we can't say that from the passage.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 22:23
vineethk929 wrote:
aghosh54 wrote:
Heisenberg12 wrote:
Inference question.

Option A says just that.

IMO D

In this question we are supposed to find out an answer choice which was be inferred from the information para of question.

That is why it is not supposed to be mentioned in the information para.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 01:12
The land cost can vary with the type of land required for different animals. Maybe the land required for Ostriches is cheaper than what is required for cattle and a higher cost is required for Ostrich food and care of the Ostriches.

"but it can eventually bring in as much as five times what cattle ranching does"
This seems to imply that it can bring less than times or more than times. We can't be sure but this seems closer to the 'D' option than the 'A' option is to the other information.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ostrich farming requires far less acreage than cattle ranching require   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2019, 01:12

Ostrich farming requires far less acreage than cattle ranching require

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap