GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiativ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiativ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 10:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:46) correct 24% (02:01) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiative that initially was promised government funding has since seen that funding severely curtailed. In no such case has the government come even close to providing the level of funds initially earmarked for these projects. Since large corporations have made it a point to discourage alternative-energy projects, it is likely that the corporations’ actions influenced the government’s funding decisions.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the reasoning above?

(A) For the past two decades, most alternative-energy initiatives have received little or no government funding.
(B) The funding initially earmarked for a government project is always subject to change, given the mechanisms by which the political process operates.
(C) The only research projects whose government funding has been severely curtailed are those that large corporations have made it a point to discourage.
(D) Some projects encouraged by large corporations have seen their funding severely curtailed over the last five years.
(E) All large corporations have made it a point to discourage some forms of research.

Source: LSAT

Non progredi est regredi

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiativ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 13:31
Akela wrote:
Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiative that initially was promised government funding has since seen that funding severely curtailed. In no such case has the government come even close to providing the level of funds initially earmarked for these projects. Since large corporations have made it a point to discourage alternative-energy projects, it is likely that the corporations’ actions influenced the government’s funding decisions.

(A) For the past two decades, most alternative-energy initiatives have received little or no government funding.
(B) The funding initially earmarked for a government project is always subject to change, given the mechanisms by which the political process operates.
(C) The only research projects whose government funding has been severely curtailed are those that large corporations have made it a point to discourage.
(D) Some projects encouraged by large corporations have seen their funding severely curtailed over the last five years.
(E) All large corporations have made it a point to discourage some forms of research.

I know this is not SC, but for some reason the language in this sentence seems very off to me

Is there something wrong, or is it just my subpar English. Someone please enlighten me.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

examPAL Representative
G
Re: Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiativ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 00:10
Arro44 wrote:
Akela wrote:

I know this is not SC, but for some reason the language in this sentence seems very off to me

Is there something wrong, or is it just my subpar English. Someone please enlighten me.

It does seem confusing, but it's actually fine. An equivalent phrasing would be: "those research projects which large corporations have made it a point to discourage are the ones whose government funding has been severely curtailed

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 00:30
The answer is C.

The argument is that corporations are behind the cut in funding. Logically, this would be strengthened by evidence that when corporations aren't involved, no cut occurs. This is exactly what (C) tells us: only when corporations are involved, does this happen.

Why are the rest wrong?
(A) For the past two decades, most alternative-energy initiatives have received little or no government funding. we already knew this, and it doesn't relate to the heart of the argument - whether this is caused by corporations or not
(B) The funding initially earmarked for a government project is always subject to change, given the mechanisms by which the political process operates. this doesn't add much, and if anything it weakens the claim that corporations are the cause
(D) Some projects encouraged by large corporations have seen their funding severely curtailed over the last five years. significantly weakens the claim - it shows corporations do not get their way in funding
(E) All large corporations have made it a point to discourage some forms of research. too general - we don't care about all corporations, and the fact that they "have made a point" of something doesn't mean they succeed

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiativ &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jul 2018, 00:30

Over the last five years, every new major alternative-energy initiativ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap