GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Feb 2020, 02:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Oxford SBS Vs Dartmouth MEM

• 60% [3]
  • 40% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Said   
Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q53 V36
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 3.65
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 May 2019, 22:11
Profile:
Indian Applicant -3 Years 10 Months Experience (~ 4 Years)
Industry: Manufacturing
Roles: Operations (2.5 Years), Internal Strategy Consulting (1 Year) + Experience as Data Scientist
Post Study Career Goal- Operations Consulting

Guys,

I am really not that into the X and Y School comparison, but I really need some insightful advice at this point of time.

I am 26, currently working as Senior Manager in the Internal Strategy & Improvement division of a diversified manufacturing firm primary in the steel business. I want to advance my career and possibly looking for a career change in operations consulting and looking for an MBA from a top school that would help me to advance my career.

My main source of funding is loan and personal savings. My preference as an MBA track would be Operations & Strategy, but consulting is also another area that I am really interested in. I am also looking for opportunities in the supply chain. Basically, I'm a career switcher and an international.

After a quick background info, here comes my question.

I am accepted at Said Business School MBA and also accepted at Dartmouth for its Masters in Engineering Management program.

I am really stuck between which decision I should make. Dartmouth MEM ? or Oxford MBA? Here are some cons and pros of each decision.

Dartmouth pros:

- Ivy League and one of the recognised program in Engineering Management
- Not MBA but good program. 3 options of tracks to choose from, one of which is Data Analytics
- Can be finished in 15 months.
- Tuition is $76k (After Scholarship it will be $47K)
- 21 months of OPT (Ability to stay longer, higher chances of H1B visa, ability to gain more experience)
- Ability to get an internship (Will be helpful to land a job)
- Can take classes from Tuck

Dartmouth Cons:

- Not an MBA
- Not sure if ~ 4 years of experience would justify my career choice (Will be on the higher end of the age and experience spectrum of the batch)

Oxford Pros:

- MBA
- Oxford Brand Value (Far trumps Dartmouth)
- International Community: Better Chance of Networking at London
- Good Strategic Consulting Program ( though I don't know how I would be placed as being both a career switcher and an international)

Oxford Cons:

- VISA Issues in the UK (Difficult to get placed as an international, Job Scenario in the UK for International is not that pleasant)
- Tuition is 73K (No Scholarship here)
- Only 6 months for job search after course completion

So, what do you think? I really really need your help!

PS: Votes with comments will be appreciated.

I understand that the comparison is not entirely one to one, however, I needed an opinion on what would allow me to reach my career goal faster? I am basically location agnostic.

Any thoughts will be appreciated?

Originally posted by sunnysourav on 17 May 2019, 19:55.
Last edited by sunnysourav on 17 May 2019, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 21:52
Congrats on your Admits!!!

I am leaning towards Tuck, though Oxford has a global name. At the same time, that global name does not seem to be super helpful in local recruiting based on what I am hearing. I would validate any career-related questions with current students and opportunities they are seeing. Note that they will always be vague and gungho and positive, but you have to ask for specifics to get to the core of the issue. How many people, which companies, how did the international applicants do? etc. I would talk to both ASAP.

Tuck MEM is something completely new to me and it seems it is going to change based on the site announcement. If you get STEM with MEM, I would pursue Tuck, personally since it does give you that internship opportunity and would give the 3 year STEM option.

P.S. I don't know what jobs MEM would bring but Tuck is a heavy consulting school historically.

Congratulations!!!

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 22:33
bb wrote:
Congrats on your Admits!!!

I am leaning towards Tuck, though Oxford has a global name. At the same time, that global name does not seem to be super helpful in local recruiting based on what I am hearing. I would validate any career-related questions with current students and the opportunities they are seeing. Note that they will always be vague and gungho and positive, but you have to ask for specifics to get to the core of the issue. How many people, which companies, how did the international applicants do? etc. I would talk to both ASAP.

Tuck MEM is something completely new to me and it seems it is going to change based on the site announcement. If you get STEM with MEM, I would pursue Tuck, personally since it does give you that internship opportunity and would give the 3 year STEM option.

P.S. I don't know what jobs MEM would bring but Tuck is a heavy consulting school historically.

Congratulations!!!

Thanks, bb. I have spoken to a lot of alumni and current students and have been getting mixed responses. I think asking more specific questions would ideally help.

P.S- Though the program is administered by both Tuck and Thayer, it is primarily Dartmouth MEM and not Tuck.
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 21:45
Just pumping the thread. Any insightful opinion will be really appreciated.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 20:32
sunnysourav wrote:

Sorry for dropping off. I don't know enough about the programs to really comment personally but the fact that you have an internship will be a very very helpful opportunity. You can try your hand at recruiting and in the worst case, fail miserably and still have an opportunity to recruit later.

Data services and analytics is exploding in the US right now - you should have any issues recruiting with big tech companies with Tuck on your resume. Unless you want to be in UK/EU, I would strongly lean towards Tuck.

P.S. I am surprised it is not STEM

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 20:43
bb wrote:
sunnysourav wrote:

Sorry for dropping off. I don't know enough about the programs to really comment personally but the fact that you have an internship will be a very very helpful opportunity. You can try your hand at recruiting and in the worst case, fail miserably and still have an opportunity to recruit later.

Data services and analytics is exploding in the US right now - you should have any issues recruiting with big tech companies with Tuck on your resume. Unless you want to be in UK/EU, I would strongly lean towards Tuck.

P.S. I am surprised it is not STEM

Thanks bb. It is a STEM course. I don't really have a strong preference for the UK/EU. However, you are correct in saying that data analytics would be really helpful in achieving my career goals. The program is administered both by Thayer and Tuck. However, it is called Dartmouth MEM and not Tuck. So, I am not sure if I would get the tuck advantage on my resume.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 20:47
Dartmouth is a stronger and more we’ll know name than Tuck. So you should be OK.

PS. Here is a fun video for you.
https://youtu.be/KmDYXaaT9sA

PS. Have fun in New Hampshire!

Posted from my mobile device
Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM   [#permalink] 20 May 2019, 20:47

Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste