Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [58]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q45  V35
WE 1: 3 yrs
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:"You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 2: 570 GMAT 3: 620  Q47  V28
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at [#permalink]
Kudos
E
[enough to..] and [the northern lights heat and induce]
A implies that the missile induce[s] no
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3948 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 E

"enough to" is the idiom. B, C, and D out.
There are two effects of these northern lights: affecting the trajectories of ballistic missiles AND inducing electric currents. AND is needed. E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Kudos
Lvnguyen87 wrote:
E

I chose A

I assumed "can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles" to be a modifier modifying Aurora lights. Why is this wrong? So I read the question as "Displays of the aurora borealis, BLAH BLAH BLAH (modifier) , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

So 'Displays' is plural and goes with 'induce' and by virtue of which other answer choices are wrong. What did I miss?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ace312 wrote:
Lvnguyen87 wrote:
E

I chose A

I assumed "can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles" to be a modifier modifying Aurora lights. Why is this wrong? So I read the question as "Displays of the aurora borealis, BLAH BLAH BLAH (modifier) , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

So 'Displays' is plural and goes with 'induce' and by virtue of which other answer choices are wrong. What did I miss?

Hi ace312, I don't think "can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles" is modifying Aurora lights. Consider below example (I just made up),

Sunlight from sun, can heat earth's surface - here Sunlight is heating earth's surface, not sun, the same way Displays are heating atmosphere, not the aurora borealis in the below example. Hope this clears your doubt or reply if you have more questions.

student26 wrote:
Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

A.to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles,induce
B. that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected,induce
C. that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces
D.that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces
E. to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce

Now i dunno who to decide between A and E, Can someone help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The displays can heat the atmosphere to do two things. 1. to affect the trajectories blah, blah and 2. ( to) induce electric currents blah blah . So an – and - is required between - missiles - induce - to complete the series with proper parallelism.

E is the correct answer.

If the sentence uses "inducing" after comma in option A, will it be considered right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Damn!! GMAT is a tricky test. The point is that we should never ever underestimate the need to read and understand the sentence!
I choose A because the sentence was correct and parallel. Then when i saw the OA i realized
" induce electric currents that can cause X (blackouts in some areas) and Y (corrosion in north-south pipelines)" need and before it to make it parallel with the first part .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpunjabi wrote:
Can someone provide a choice by choice break down why each one is wrong?

can heat... enough to affect in A and E is more idiomatic than the use of the subordinate clause beginning with "that" in B, C, and D.

B - produces an illogical and ungrammatical statement by making induce parallel with the verb heat rather than with the appropriate form of the verb affect;

C - lacks agreement in using the singular pronoun it to refer to the plural noun displays

D is faulty because induces cannot fit grammatically with any noun in the sentence.

A incorrectly separates the two infinitives to affect and [to] induce with a comma when it should compound them with and, as does E.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Working out on such mechanical way to think to disentagle a question is not a really efficient manner to overcome this difficult test.

As such, surely knowing the grammar rules is the cornerstone but is not the way.

Based only on meaning

Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce electric currents than can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

a) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce

induce is not inducing at least and also is a sentence in which the meaning is broken: induce what ??

b) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected, induce

passive: wrong and convoluted

c) that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induces

it refers to what behind itself ??

d) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces

same B

e) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce

Clearly and straight. No doubt reading the sentence as it is constructed
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
gmatpunjabi wrote:
Can someone provide a choice by choice break down why each one is wrong?

gmatpunjabi, You may refer the picture as attached.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 109.79 KiB | Viewed 29155 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Hi,

I'm absolutely on board with the two things and how they need to be connected but I can't make peace with this bit - "to" is an infinitive of purpose. Using "to" almost seems like the displays heat the atmosphere with the intention to 1. affect the trajectories ... 2. ( to) induce electric currents... but that isn't the intended meaning right. The meaning is that these two things CAN be a result of the displays.

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:
The displays can heat the atmosphere to do two things. 1. to affect the trajectories blah, blah and 2. ( to) induce electric currents blah blah . So an – and - is required between - missiles - induce - to complete the series with proper parallelism.

E is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ss18 wrote:
Hi,

I'm absolutely on board with the two things and how they need to be connected but I can't make peace with this bit - "to" is an infinitive of purpose. Using "to" almost seems like the displays heat the atmosphere with the intention to 1. affect the trajectories ... 2. ( to) induce electric currents... but that isn't the intended meaning right. The meaning is that these two things CAN be a result of the displays.

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:

E is the correct answer.

actually, the display can generate heat that is enough to do two things (or you can say, the display can generate enough heat that can cause two things) viz. 1. to affect the trajectories...... and 2. ( to) induce electric currents.........

These two effect of that heat is presented as 1. to affect the trajectories...... and 2. ( to) induce electric currents......... and they need to be in parallel form
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Can someone from egmat or Magoosh mikemcgarry help with my query below?

ss18 wrote:
Hi,

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:

E is the correct answer.
[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
ss18 wrote:
Can someone from egmat or Magoosh (@mickmcgarry) help with my query below?

ss18 wrote:
Hi,

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:

E is the correct answer.

Hi ss18

Although I know you have asked specific experts to respond your query, I hope you will allow me to help you with it.

You are right, that "+to infinitive" is used to indicate intentions. So, the following sentence would fall under this usage:

I went to her place to collect my parcel. - I went there with the intention to achieve something.

However, that's NOT the only use of "+to infinitive". The "+to infinitive" can be used in many other ways too. For instance, one way is to use it after adverbs.

I was tired enough to fall asleep as soon as I hit the bed. - This means that I was so tired that I fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed; it does not mean that I became tired with the intention fall asleep.

This is the exact same usage that you find in the correct sentence as well. You can read more about the general use of "+to infinitive" at https://www.ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/infinitive/. However, I would not recommend going overboard in your research. Also, not all usages maybe tested on the GMAT.

Cheers! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
student26 wrote:
Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

A.to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles,induce
B. that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected,induce
C. that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces
D.that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces
E. to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce

Now i dunno who to decide between A and E, Can someone help?

As per the meaning of the sentence affect should be parallel to induce. Only option E does this correctly and precisely.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
So here the display of the aurora borealis has 2 affects- 1. it would heat the atmosphere and 2. It would induce the electric current in some areas. So these two affects need to be connected by the conjunction " and ". apart from the meaning error , Is there any other error committed in the original sentence. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos