GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 12:27

Stanford R1 Interview Decisions:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 yrs
Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Sep 2018, 01:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:09) correct 21% (01:22) wrong based on 766 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 70
Page: 648

Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

(A) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles,induce

(B) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected, induce

(C) that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces

(D) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces

(E) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce

Now i dunno who to decide between A and E, Can someone help?

Originally posted by student26 on 27 Oct 2010, 01:59.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Sep 2018, 01:51, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Apr 2011, 08:12
The displays can heat the atmosphere to do two things. 1. to affect the trajectories blah, blah and 2. ( to) induce electric currents blah blah . So an – and - is required between - missiles - induce - to complete the series with proper parallelism.

E is the correct answer.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 27 Oct 2010, 05:14.
Last edited by daagh on 04 Apr 2011, 08:12, edited 3 times in total.
General Discussion
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2010, 05:37
in A you have run-on sentence, (comma splice).
Use and to join two independent clauses.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2010, 08:30
E
[enough to..] and [the northern lights heat and induce]
A implies that the missile induce[s] no
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2012, 12:27
+1 E

"enough to" is the idiom. B, C, and D out.
There are two effects of these northern lights: affecting the trajectories of ballistic missiles AND inducing electric currents. AND is needed. E is the answer.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 03:24
Lvnguyen87 wrote:
E

I chose A

I assumed "can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles" to be a modifier modifying Aurora lights. Why is this wrong? So I read the question as "Displays of the aurora borealis, BLAH BLAH BLAH (modifier) , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

So 'Displays' is plural and goes with 'induce' and by virtue of which other answer choices are wrong. What did I miss?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2012, 08:09
ace312 wrote:
Lvnguyen87 wrote:
E

I chose A

I assumed "can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles" to be a modifier modifying Aurora lights. Why is this wrong? So I read the question as "Displays of the aurora borealis, BLAH BLAH BLAH (modifier) , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

So 'Displays' is plural and goes with 'induce' and by virtue of which other answer choices are wrong. What did I miss?

Hi ace312, I don't think "can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles" is modifying Aurora lights. Consider below example (I just made up),

Sunlight from sun, can heat earth's surface - here Sunlight is heating earth's surface, not sun, the same way Displays are heating atmosphere, not the aurora borealis in the below example. Hope this clears your doubt or reply if you have more questions.

student26 wrote:
Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles , induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

A.to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles,induce
B. that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected,induce
C. that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces
D.that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces
E. to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2012, 09:26
daagh wrote:
The displays can heat the atmosphere to do two things. 1. to affect the trajectories blah, blah and 2. ( to) induce electric currents blah blah . So an – and - is required between - missiles - induce - to complete the series with proper parallelism.

E is the correct answer.

If the sentence uses "inducing" after comma in option A, will it be considered right?
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 15:34
Damn!! GMAT is a tricky test. The point is that we should never ever underestimate the need to read and understand the sentence!
I choose A because the sentence was correct and parallel. Then when i saw the OA i realized
" induce electric currents that can cause X (blackouts in some areas) and Y (corrosion in north-south pipelines)" need and before it to make it parallel with the first part .

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 02:40
gmatpunjabi wrote:
Can someone provide a choice by choice break down why each one is wrong?

can heat... enough to affect in A and E is more idiomatic than the use of the subordinate clause beginning with "that" in B, C, and D.

B - produces an illogical and ungrammatical statement by making induce parallel with the verb heat rather than with the appropriate form of the verb affect;

C - lacks agreement in using the singular pronoun it to refer to the plural noun displays

D is faulty because induces cannot fit grammatically with any noun in the sentence.

A incorrectly separates the two infinitives to affect and [to] induce with a comma when it should compound them with and, as does E.
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 04:41
gmatpunjabi wrote:
Can someone provide a choice by choice break down why each one is wrong?

gmatpunjabi, You may refer the picture as attached.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 109.79 KiB | Viewed 4612 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 09:01
Hi,

I'm absolutely on board with the two things and how they need to be connected but I can't make peace with this bit - "to" is an infinitive of purpose. Using "to" almost seems like the displays heat the atmosphere with the intention to 1. affect the trajectories ... 2. ( to) induce electric currents... but that isn't the intended meaning right. The meaning is that these two things CAN be a result of the displays.

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:

E is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 09:18
ss18 wrote:
Hi,

I'm absolutely on board with the two things and how they need to be connected but I can't make peace with this bit - "to" is an infinitive of purpose. Using "to" almost seems like the displays heat the atmosphere with the intention to 1. affect the trajectories ... 2. ( to) induce electric currents... but that isn't the intended meaning right. The meaning is that these two things CAN be a result of the displays.

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:

E is the correct answer.

actually, the display can generate heat that is enough to do two things (or you can say, the display can generate enough heat that can cause two things) viz. 1. to affect the trajectories...... and 2. ( to) induce electric currents.........

These two effect of that heat is presented as 1. to affect the trajectories...... and 2. ( to) induce electric currents......... and they need to be in parallel form
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 20:56
Can someone from egmat or Magoosh mikemcgarry help with my query below?

ss18 wrote:
Hi,

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:

E is the correct answer.
[/quote]
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 03:28
ss18 wrote:
Can someone from egmat or Magoosh (@mickmcgarry) help with my query below?

ss18 wrote:
Hi,

Please help!

Best
SS18

daagh wrote:

E is the correct answer.

Hi ss18

Although I know you have asked specific experts to respond your query, I hope you will allow me to help you with it.

You are right, that "+to infinitive" is used to indicate intentions. So, the following sentence would fall under this usage:

I went to her place to collect my parcel. - I went there with the intention to achieve something.

However, that's NOT the only use of "+to infinitive". The "+to infinitive" can be used in many other ways too. For instance, one way is to use it after adverbs.

I was tired enough to fall asleep as soon as I hit the bed. - This means that I was so tired that I fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed; it does not mean that I became tired with the intention fall asleep.

This is the exact same usage that you find in the correct sentence as well. You can read more about the general use of "+to infinitive" at http://www.ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/infinitive/. However, I would not recommend going overboard in your research. Also, not all usages maybe tested on the GMAT.

Cheers! :)
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 20:53
student26 wrote:

A.to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles,induce
B. that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected,induce
C. that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces

As per the meaning of the sentence affect should be parallel to induce. Only option E does this correctly and precisely.

Kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 05:57
So here the display of the aurora borealis has 2 affects- 1. it would heat the atmosphere and 2. It would induce the electric current in some areas. So these two affects need to be connected by the conjunction " and ". apart from the meaning error , Is there any other error committed in the original sentence. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Thank you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 05:15
Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to:
affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles
AND
induce electric currents that can cause:
blackouts in some areas
and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

A.to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce
B. that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected, induce

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 01:48
https://youtu.be/X5ovnmmPnpE

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at &nbs [#permalink] 16 Sep 2018, 01:48

Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights", can heat the at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap