Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 15:58 It is currently 02 May 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Logical Flawx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6626 [48]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1308 [19]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20741 [6]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a [#permalink]
Kudos
E.

Doc- unknown side effects
Patient- known side effects.

GAP here- patient mistakingly correlates/equates known side effects to unknown side effects

answer choice that attacks this is the answer.

E does that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 793 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
E patient himself tells that the doctor knows the side effects of the medicines he prescribes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Clear winner E , as Doctor does not prescribes the ones which have unknown side effects but patient is arguing about that doctor does prescribe medication with side effects. the gap is there
Medication with unknown side effect which Dr will not prescribe vs Medication which has known side effects.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
The flaw in reasoning is the patient's equating known side effects with unknown side effects.

Answer choice E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Summarize:
Doctor has a remedy but he does not know the side effects.
Doctor is inconsistent according to the patient.

Generalize:
doctor can probably treat him if he has seen such side effects before. The only answer close to this is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
here in this argument the Physician's argument is about the unknown risk but the patients argument is about the serious risk , the flaw in this consideration should be resolved. Hence E is the best answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
We have to pay clear attention to the wording here.

Patient talks about prescribing pills with serious side effects where doctor says he is unaware of the side effects.

This gap and difference gets us the right answer which is E.

thinking of the answer in your mind before jumping to answer choices increases your chance of getting to the right answer! Do try it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a [#permalink]
Dear AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma DmitryFarber VeritasPrepBrian GMATNinjaTwo,

I have one question on choice E:
(E) known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot

I think some words are omitted at the end of choice E. as underlined below:
(E) known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot (be weighed against (un)known benefits)

Is the "benefits" of synthetic melatonin also "unknown"?

According to the passage, Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form.

I'm not sure how to interpret "promise" -- should it be known or unknown benefits?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4664 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

(E) known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot (be weighed against (un)known benefits)

According to the passage, Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form.

I'm not sure how to interpret "promise" -- should it be known or unknown benefits?
Hi varotkorn,

Here is how I think that statement is meant to be read:
Known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot be weighed against known benefits.

That seems to fit the situation. The physician says that melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders. If it has shown promise for something, surely that is a known benefit?

But that's just how I read it. It'd be good to get a (I don't know how else to say this!) second opinion here. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
varotkorn wrote:

Hi varotkorn,

Here is how I think that statement is meant to be read:
Known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot be weighed against known benefits.

That seems to fit the situation. The physician says that melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders. If it has shown promise for something, surely that is a known benefit?

But that's just how I read it. It'd be good to get a (I don't know how else to say this!) second opinion here. :)

Dear AjiteshArun,

That's how I read it as well.
However, OE in choice B. says:
Quote:
It is quite reasonable for the patient’s argument not to mention this possibility, especially since the physician expresses a belief that synthetic melatonin may be effective—but expresses no belief about whether or not it has been conclusively shown to be effective.

So, in light of the bolded portion, I'm not sure how to interpret the omitted part in choice E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4664 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AjiteshArun,

That's how I read it as well.
However, OE in choice B. says:
Quote:
It is quite reasonable for the patient’s argument not to mention this possibility, especially since the physician expresses a belief that synthetic melatonin may be effective—but expresses no belief about whether or not it has been conclusively shown to be effective.

So, in light of the bolded portion, I'm not sure how to interpret the omitted part in choice E.
Hi varotkorn,

I don't see anything wrong in saying that just the possibility of treating something is a known benefit. But let's sit tight for now and wait for more opinions on this.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form. Because the long-term side effects of synthetic melatonin are unknown, however, I cannot recommend its use at this time.

Patient: Your position is inconsistent with your usual practice. You prescribe many medications that you know have serious side effects, so concern about side effects cannot be the real reason you will not prescribe melatonin.

The patient's argument is flawed because it fails to consider that

What the patient fails to understand is all of the considerations that go into prescribing a medication. Their view of the doctor’s practice is very shallow …the correct answer will capitalize on this lack of depth of thought.

(A) the side effects of synthetic melatonin might be different from those of naturally produced melatonin X
-no…the patient was referring to prescribed medications…those that the doctor prescribes…
(B) it is possible that the physician does not believe that melatonin has been conclusively shown to be effective X
-no…the patient doesn’t need to consider this

(C) sleep disorders, if left untreated, might lead to serious medical complications X
-this is true, but that’s not what the patient missed

(D) the side effects of a medication can take some time to manifest themselves X
-again this is also true for certain medications, but it isn’t the problem with the logic

Correct…the doctor prescribes certain medications considering that overall the benefits outweigh the inherent risks, but the doctor cannot account for things that are unknown
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Response in OG guide was good I thought
Attachments

insight # 3.JPG
insight # 3.JPG [ 126.27 KiB | Viewed 15806 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
betterscore wrote:
Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form. Because the long-term side effects of synthetic melatonin are unknown, however, I cannot recommend its use at this time.

Patient: Your position is inconsistent with your usual practice. You prescribe many medications that you know have serious side effects, so concern about side effects cannot be the real reason you will not prescribe melatonin.

(A) the side effects of synthetic melatonin might be different from those of naturally produced melatonin
(B) it is possible that the physician does not believe that melatonin has been conclusively shown to be effective
(C) sleep disorders, if left untreated, might lead to serious medical complications
(D) the side effects of a medication can take some time to manifest themselves

OG2017 CR 565 P516

Only reason of th doctor is that he does not know the side effects of synthetic melatonin.
However patient argued that doctor prescribe many medicationst that have serious side effect.

Here we have mismatch. Regarding Side effect, argue by patient is known to doctor.

The same is convyed in E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
betterscore wrote:

(A) the side effects of synthetic melatonin might be different from those of naturally produced melatonin
(B) it is possible that the physician does not believe that melatonin has been conclusively shown to be effective
(C) sleep disorders, if left untreated, might lead to serious medical complications
(D) the side effects of a medication can take some time to manifest themselves

OG2017 CR 565 P516

We know that the physician mentions unknown side effect, while the patient mentions known side effect. The benefits could outweigh the known side effects, while the unknown side effects can't be weighed against unknown benefits. A "promise" doesn't lead to a known benefit it's a hypothetical benefit that could be a correlation.

E answers the question concisely and the only option that mentions unknown risks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts