Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 07:26 It is currently 23 May 2024, 07:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Matthew M. Segneri, who earned his MBA from Harvard Business School in 2010, will become the new director of its Social Enterprise Initiative (SEI), the school recently announced.

https://www.stacyblackman.com/2014/07/31 ... nitiative/

Launched in 1993, the SEI pioneered the concept of “social enterprise” by adopting a problem-focused approach toward understanding the management and leadership challenges facing organizations involved in creating social value, regardless of their structure or funding source.

Segneri, working with the Initiative’s faculty co-chairs Herman B. “Dutch” Leonard and V. Kasturi “Kash” Rangan, will manage a range of programs and activities, including those that support research and teaching, educational programs within the MBA and Executive Education curricula, MBA field-based learning and career support programs, and alumni outreach and engagement.

While an MBA student at Harvard Business School, Segneri was co-president of the Social Enterprise Club and a team leader for the New Orleans Service and Leadership Immersion Program, which brought HBS students to New Orleans to work on various projects after the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Segneri comes to the position with a broad range of leadership experience in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors, most recently at Bloomberg Philanthropies in New York City, where he was a senior leader on the Government Innovation team.

“From his days as a Harvard MBA student to his work at the highest levels of big city governments, he has made a lasting impact through his vision, strategic and operational skills, and energy and hard work,” says Professor Rangan.

Segneri succeeds Laura Moon, who has become Managing Director of the School’s wide array of Initiatives, which focus on research and course development in specific topics such as leadership, health care, and digital technology.

“I am excited and honored to return to HBS and the Social Enterprise Initiative, both of which have been so influential in my personal and professional life,” Segneri says. “This is an incredible opportunity to give back to the School and inspire, educate, and support leaders committed to solving our most intractable social and economic problems.”

- See more at: https://www.stacyblackman.com/2014/07/31 ... EIwNE.dpuf
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Thank you EBM and byrk :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM

Matthew M. Segneri, who earned his MBA from Harvard Business School in 2010, will become the new director of its Social Enterprise Initiative (SEI), the school recently announced.

Launched in 1993, the SEI pioneered the concept of “social enterprise” by adopting a problem-focused approach toward understanding the management and leadership challenges facing organizations involved in creating social value, regardless of their structure or funding source.

Segneri, working with the Initiative’s faculty co-chairs Herman B. “Dutch” Leonard and V. Kasturi “Kash” Rangan, will manage a range of programs and activities, including those that support research and teaching, educational programs within the MBA and Executive Education curricula, MBA field-based learning and career support programs, and alumni outreach and engagement.

While an MBA student at Harvard Business School, Segneri was co-president of the Social Enterprise Club and a team leader for the New Orleans Service and Leadership Immersion Program, which brought HBS students to New Orleans to work on various projects after the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Segneri comes to the position with a broad range of leadership experience in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors, most recently at Bloomberg Philanthropies in New York City, where he was a senior leader on the Government Innovation team.

“From his days as a Harvard MBA student to his work at the highest levels of big city governments, he has made a lasting impact through his vision, strategic and operational skills, and energy and hard work,” says Professor Rangan.

Segneri succeeds Laura Moon, who has become Managing Director of the School’s wide array of Initiatives, which focus on research and course development in specific topics such as leadership, health care, and digital technology.

“I am excited and honored to return to HBS and the Social Enterprise Initiative, both of which have been so influential in my personal and professional life,” Segneri says. “This is an incredible opportunity to give back to the School and inspire, educate, and support leaders committed to solving our most intractable social and economic problems.”

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah, I agree with the one-page limit.
Maybe you can go through it one more time and ask yourself two questions:
"Does this really creates value to my resume and show the Adcom I'm a top professional?" and
" Can I put this information elsewhere in the application?"

This two questions helpe me cut about 150 words from my resumé!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM

Originally posted by MAH on 10 Aug 2014, 14:34.
Last edited by MAH on 26 Aug 2016, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10074 [1]
Given Kudos: 4547
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi, Here is a good post from past year's discussion..........

bostonbound88 wrote:
sh00nya wrote:
That's interesting, what i am missing here is how does the adcom know the post-MBA career goals (esp for career switchers). Is it inferred? presuming the candidate does not mention it in this essay question. I did not find any other section in the application requirements that conveys / helps convey this explicitly.

For last year's application (for class of 2015) it was a VERY short question you fill out online (300 characters or something like that - essentially 2 sentences around "Why an MBA / Harvard").

From everything I've heard from Dee on this subject they really don't like the post-MBA career goal question. Their view is that it's such a hypothetical question it becomes useless. There's no way to know if you're being genuine or if you simply make up a really compelling story for your goals with no intention of actually doing that. They want to create a diverse and talented class that is prime to be successful - and for them the best predictor of future success is to look at why you've done the things you've done in your life.

Obviously it's up to you what to do with the essay but I would just warn to not make the emphasis of what you want to convey about future plans. If your future goals fit nicely with the story of who you are and where you're coming from it would probably fit quite organically. I didn't mention future goals in either of my essays last year and received an interview and only spent 2 minutes of the interview discussing future plans. Obviously they weren't interested in it for my application at least.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
Hi, Here is a good post from past year's discussion..........

bostonbound88 wrote:
sh00nya wrote:
That's interesting, what i am missing here is how does the adcom know the post-MBA career goals (esp for career switchers). Is it inferred? presuming the candidate does not mention it in this essay question. I did not find any other section in the application requirements that conveys / helps convey this explicitly.

For last year's application (for class of 2015) it was a VERY short question you fill out online (300 characters or something like that - essentially 2 sentences around "Why an MBA / Harvard").

From everything I've heard from Dee on this subject they really don't like the post-MBA career goal question. Their view is that it's such a hypothetical question it becomes useless. There's no way to know if you're being genuine or if you simply make up a really compelling story for your goals with no intention of actually doing that. They want to create a diverse and talented class that is prime to be successful - and for them the best predictor of future success is to look at why you've done the things you've done in your life.

Obviously it's up to you what to do with the essay but I would just warn to not make the emphasis of what you want to convey about future plans. If your future goals fit nicely with the story of who you are and where you're coming from it would probably fit quite organically. I didn't mention future goals in either of my essays last year and received an interview and only spent 2 minutes of the interview discussing future plans. Obviously they weren't interested in it for my application at least.

That's great! I don't think I saw that "Why an MBA / Harvard" in the app this year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
Question for the group about resumes:

What do you all think about using the standard HBS resume format that current students and graduates use? I like it, it's one page, and they are familiar with it. Would it be faux pas?

Thanks in advance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
IN
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FPBULL wrote:
Question for the group about resumes:

What do you all think about using the standard HBS resume format that current students and graduates use? I like it, it's one page, and they are familiar with it. Would it be faux pas?

Thanks in advance.

It's fine if you want to use it and adcom isn't going to find it presumptuous or anything. I wouldn't recommend spending hours reformatting an already-good resume just to fit HBS's format though...you'll have plenty of time and coaching on how to do that after you're admitted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: CLASS VISITS!!!
We’re officially in Back-to-School mode and want you to know how we welcome visitors to campus.

Registration for our September class visits opens on Friday, August 15. A couple of things about these first few weeks of visits:

• The date that you can first visit a class is September 10th. This is after the Round 1 deadline. While we would love for you to see a class in action (we think our classroom experience is distinctive, special, magical, etc.), whether you visit or not does not influence the evaluation process one way or the other. Should you be invited to interview and choose to come to campus to do so, you will have an opportunity to sit in on a class. In the meantime, you can familiarize yourself with the case method through our video Inside the Case Method.

• September visits are for SECOND YEAR CLASSES. Faculty like to give our new first year students a chance to settle in a bit with the case method and their sectionmates before visitors arrive. Visitors begin to sit in on first year classes in early October. Registration will be available in early September.

In addition to class visits, in September, our second year students begin leading our tours and information sessions. This is a great way to hear from current students about the MBA program. We will also always have an admissions staff member at these sessions as well. Please check the events section of our website for the schedule of tours and info sessions.

I must close with another enthusiastic plug for Inside the Case Method. While we do love you to come see us in person, there is truly no need to make an expensive pilgrimage. However, we do want you to understand that the case method is the signature pedagogy here at HBS – every day! Watching this video will give you a good sense of how and why we are so committed to this provocative way of learning.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
yeah, I agree. I think it makes sense that the Adcom will evaluate you based on the content of your resumé, not on its format.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
In for R1, but don't really have a clue on how to answer the essay prompt :S

I'm amazed that several of you have already completed their essays
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
masoy wrote:

It can vary from person to person, but seeing how the prompt explains that they can already see the "who/what" parts of your career, it makes a lot of sense to use the essay to explain the "why" part...i.e. what experiences have shaped your character and changed your perspective on your life/career, why you chose to do some of the things you did, why an MBA/HBS is the next logical step, and why you think you'll make a big impact afterwards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Thanks EBM. This will give me a starting point
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE:Project Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
EBM wrote:
masoy wrote:

It can vary from person to person, but seeing how the prompt explains that they can already see the "who/what" parts of your career, it makes a lot of sense to use the essay to explain the "why" part...i.e. what experiences have shaped your character and changed your perspective on your life/career, why you chose to do some of the things you did, why an MBA/HBS is the next logical step, and why you think you'll make a big impact afterwards.

@Masoy I've gotta agree with @EBM the essay is going to vary from person to person and that's what makes it such a unique and difficult question to answer. I just finished my essay within the last two weeks and I'm working on the final stages of peer reviews. But trust me, I've been working on them since June and have gone through 20+ drafts and versions. If you need some extra guidance I'd recommend taking a look at The Unofficial Harvard Business School Essay Book. Its was just recently updated with essay from last years class who answered the same questions we are for this class.

https://www.harbus.org/the-essay-book/

And of course there is also snarky Sandy's review of a few essays. As much as I personally don't like the guys attitude, he does have some interesting things to say. - Worth a read -

https://www.mbaprogramsnews.com/tag/admi ... _IE17xdXDI
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V48
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Long time lurker, first time poster - in for Round 1 too!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts