Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 15:53 It is currently 04 May 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
CrucialTaunt wrote:
bimaldshah wrote:
How old are you? I am thinking age had something to do with my ding too. I am 32.

I'm 34; I will be 35 at time of matriculation. To H/S/W especially, age seems to be an issue. I got the ding from HBS today and I suspect Wharton and GSB will follow suit. (If/when that happens, I will of course blame it on my age, rather than any other potential defect in my application.)

I am getting a lot more love from PT/EMBA programs -- not surprisingly.

Congrats to all you young whippersnappers who got interviews today. :-) I guess I will take my cane and my hearing aid and go watch reruns of Matlock.

-OldManCrucial

"Old people love me!" -- Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman

Hahaha, I feel your pain! Am a lawyer too albeit a little younger [will be 30 at the time of matriculation].

Do you think Wharton is so keen on younger candidates too? I thought that was just a Harvard/Stanford trait...
Butterflies wrote:
CrucialTaunt wrote:
bimaldshah wrote:
How old are you? I am thinking age had something to do with my ding too. I am 32.

I'm 34; I will be 35 at time of matriculation. To H/S/W especially, age seems to be an issue. I got the ding from HBS today and I suspect Wharton and GSB will follow suit. (If/when that happens, I will of course blame it on my age, rather than any other potential defect in my application.)

I am getting a lot more love from PT/EMBA programs -- not surprisingly.

Congrats to all you young whippersnappers who got interviews today. :-) I guess I will take my cane and my hearing aid and go watch reruns of Matlock.

-OldManCrucial

"Old people love me!" -- Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman

Hahaha, I feel your pain! Am a lawyer too albeit a little younger [will be 30 at the time of matriculation].

Do you think Wharton is so keen on younger candidates too? I thought that was just a Harvard/Stanford trait...

Goodness, i guess i should have taken that factor into account before applying :-)
Kudos
idkksh wrote:
tchankwes wrote:
idkksh wrote:
Digned as well!
But it is not the end. After monthly break it is the time to start improving my profile! I have so many things to do until September! I hope you guys also are not discouraged and will continue this amazing journey, full of challenging achievements! Good luck to both invited and digned!

So you intend to reapply there? Looking at your numbers, i'm not sure I'd bother. The only black spot in your file is your GPA, which you cannot change anymore. unless you come up with a good story, I'd suggest focusing on other schools.

I agree with you! Applying to more than 3 schools would increase my chances. Nevertheless, I deeply reviewed others schools and I understood that I need only one of those 3. Even 3 is a big number, because those 3 schools are so different!

You also right about my GPA. I was too young to understand its importance. However, there are ways to improve this situation as well, for example to build alternative transcript (some courses in an institution with high rate, getting excellent marks of course). Some extra activities can also be developed during this time.

Answering to your question, I will say that Yes, I intend to reapply, and I see that such focus can improve my chances and also can show to admissions my big desire to get into the certain school!

I guess i might follow you in that strategy, see you next year :-) (unless i get into Booth, after my interview)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: HBS '18 (II)
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Got an interview invite yesterday. Very excited. Been working for 1.5 years at a healthcare consulting firm in Burlington/Boston MA called Putnam Associates - which is a feeder firm into HBS. 710 GMAT, 3.3 GPA from an Ivy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Invite received for 2+2 (class of 2020). Super excited — scheduled a menlo park interview
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all,

Seeing so many posts from people who have been rejected I thought I will share with you my views on the selection process so that you are not too worried or sad because you did not make it into the interview stage. I believe the selection is not as thorough and fair as you may think. In the end, adcoms are humans too and they cannot know who the applicants really are, therefore it happens they choose really random people.

I work at one of the biggest and renowned companies in Europe and exactly 4 of my colleagues applied into HBS in the past year. I have to tell you I was very surprised to learn who in the end was enrolled.

Obviously, all had similar experience and 700+ GMAT, but their social skills are very very different.

HBS selected 2 of my colleagues who had really difficult and complicated characters (they were seen as rather unfriendly and uncollaborative. On top, I found one of the persons extremely lazy, whatever I would ask this guy for, he'd either forget or do last minute. Not to mention the quality wouldnt be extraordinary either). Also, both of the guys told me they hated their job, were not interested in our products anyways, and felt miserable. I wouldn't say they inspired me in any way, beside they made me think of an MBA. Also, I did not feel they had any big accomplishments. (I knew them privately too, and no they were not saving kids in Africa, rather spending their time watching TV series or playing videogames).

Whereas the other 2 dinged guys are just sweethearts. The indian girl that got rejected (I guess because of her nationality, unfortunately) is extremely smart and talking to her is pure pleasure. She is always nice and professional and she is a person I'd always choose to work with. The rejected guy is the most accomplished of all four, has the biggest responsibilites, is really passionate about our industry, works on interested projects outside of his work, and on top is extremely respectful and a really good friend I can rely on. Luckily he got accepted into another top B school.

So yes, the world does not end at HBS and from my experience with my work colleagues I know that the selection is not too fair. Although I want to apply into HBS next year, I know that if I dont get into it, I wouldnt be too sad. The HBS students are humans too and not necessarily better than people in other schools. So dont take it personally when you dont get into the school, the selection process is just not good enough.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
bonjourlemonde wrote:
Hi all,

Seeing so many posts from people who have been rejected I thought I will share with you my views on the selection process so that you are not too worried or sad because you did not make it into the interview stage. I believe the selection is not as thorough and fair as you may think. In the end, adcoms are humans too and they cannot know who the applicants really are, therefore it happens they choose really random people.

I work at one of the biggest and renowned companies in Europe and exactly 4 of my colleagues applied into HBS in the past year. I have to tell you I was very surprised to learn who in the end was enrolled.

Obviously, all had similar experience and 700+ GMAT, but their social skills are very very different.

HBS selected 2 of my colleagues who had really difficult and complicated characters (they were seen as rather unfriendly and uncollaborative. On top, I found one of the persons extremely lazy, whatever I would ask this guy for, he'd either forget or do last minute. Not to mention the quality wouldnt be extraordinary either). Also, both of the guys told me they hated their job, were not interested in our products anyways, and felt miserable. I wouldn't say they inspired me in any way, beside they made me think of an MBA. Also, I did not feel they had any big accomplishments. (I knew them privately too, and no they were not saving kids in Africa, rather spending their time watching TV series or playing videogames).

Whereas the other 2 dinged guys are just sweethearts. The indian girl that got rejected (I guess because of her nationality, unfortunately) is extremely smart and talking to her is pure pleasure. She is always nice and professional and she is a person I'd always choose to work with. The rejected guy is the most accomplished of all four, has the biggest responsibilites, is really passionate about our industry, works on interested projects outside of his work, and on top is extremely respectful and a really good friend I can rely on. Luckily he got accepted into another top B school.

So yes, the world does not end at HBS and from my experience with my work colleagues I know that the selection is not too fair. Although I want to apply into HBS next year, I know that if I dont get into it, I wouldnt be too sad. The HBS students are humans too and not necessarily better than people in other schools. So dont take it personally when you dont get into the school, the selection process is just not good enough.

Cheers!

Great post and thank you for taking the time to write it. You absolutely right about adcoms being human. I work for one of the biggest tech companies and I hire engineers all the time. I cant even remember how many times have I seen resumes that made the applicant looks like "engineering god" but turned out to be totally opposite when interviewed (and we do multiple interviews because one interview for 30 min isn't enough to gauge anyone's technical and personal skills). I also work with some of the best graduates out of the top B-schools. But there are also few from the same schools who makes me question school's selection process.

I think MBA apps are the same. I could write an awesome application with or without help from professionals to get an interview. Then I could do the same for interview prep to get admitted. But at the end, I might not be any better than people who got rejected. Also, I think it also has to do with the diversity that all the B-school are looking for now. They want a great mix of potential, talent, achievements, academics, ethnicity, citizenships, etc. So that sweet Indian girl getting rejected shouldn't be a surprise. Looking at some of the reject profiles on Clearadmit was just surprising and in a sense comforting comparing my profile to theirs.

I dont mean to say that the system is completely flawed because HBS puts out really talented and successful people. Most of them deserve the place at HBS but there are also few who get in and make people around them question the admission process. So if you are rejected, don't worry. Its not that you arent good enough for HBS but you are different from what HBS is looking for in this given batch. I think HBS did a good job at crafting their rejection message (pasted below)

Every year we receive roughly ten applications for every available spot in the class. While we are pleased that so many talented people want to be students here, the numbers make for many very difficult decisions. In all likelihood, you are a viable candidate with many strong attributes and accomplishments. Our challenge becomes not one of "evaluation," but of "selection." In order to deliver a class who brings as many different backgrounds and perspectives as possible, we must turn away many qualified candidates.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
tchankwes wrote:
idkksh wrote:
Digned as well!
But it is not the end. After monthly break it is the time to start improving my profile! I have so many things to do until September! I hope you guys also are not discouraged and will continue this amazing journey, full of challenging achievements! Good luck to both invited and digned!

So you intend to reapply there? Looking at your numbers, i'm not sure I'd bother. The only black spot in your file is your GPA, which you cannot change anymore. unless you come up with a good story, I'd suggest focusing on other schools.

See this is the type of stuff that really bothers me on MBA boards.....this and people who whine and/or ask "what are my chances?" You don't know why he was even denied so don't ever tell someone that they shouldn't chase after something if they want to. For all you know there could have been some other issues with his application that had nothing to do with his GPA. The point is you don't know why he was denied so your speculation is pointless. I have a 3.3 GPA with an F and D on my transcript along with a low quant split from on the GMAT. However, I am currently preparing for my HBS interview. According to you I should not have even bothered applying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone! Having gone through the process in R1, I know it's a painful process but congrats to those with interviews. Good luck! You guys will rock it!

To those dinged - you will be successful without a MBA. Deep down, you know that!

And to those who are thinking of applying- do it. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get in because of x GMAT or y GPA. It's an incredibly rewarding experience and a great forcing mechanism to get to know yourself!

Currently MBA blogging on atych16.wordpress.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Completely agree with 119maple.

Adding my two cents to bonjourlemonde discussion (which is similar to others topics in every top 10 school forum after results), in terms of the AdCom, they are indeed humans, but they do care a whole lot about each application and review it thoroughly. Recently, I talked to the AdCom member that had interviewed me. After I introduced myself, she spontaneously remembered many details about my profile that had nothing to do with my resumé. I was amazed to see that this lady put a lot of effort getting to know me even though they received probably 6,000 applications in R1.

There are many aspects these people analyze in an application and they do this every year, three times a year, for the last 100+ years. I think it is safe to assume they do an amazing job and that our biased or misinformed opinion of one applicant may not always be the right one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
-

Originally posted by McCainfries on 14 Feb 2016, 07:59.
Last edited by McCainfries on 05 Aug 2016, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Glabibou wrote:
Hi everyone

How do you know the name of your interviewer? They just tell it at the beginning of the interview or they give you their card? Can you see it somewhere? (after the interview)

Thanks

They give you a card after the interview. It will be conducted by a member of the Admissions office.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Why HBS applicants are so quiet?? Mind sharing where everyone is interviewing and how interview preparations are coming along?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Narenn wrote:
Why HBS applicants are so quiet?? Mind sharing where everyone is interviewing and how interview preparations are coming along?

I'm interviewing Monday morning on-campus (ahhh so soon!). I will have two interviews under my belt by then, so hopefully my nerves will be a bit more settled. All of the HBS students I spoke with said to just relax and be confident (easier said than done!). Most of my prep has been talking to myself in the mirror and coming up with some examples of times I've demonstrated leadership, as well as practicing explaining the transitions between jobs/roles. I made a trip out to HBS a week ago for a class visit and to do a dry run of where I need to go for the interview. I still feel terribly unprepared.

Hoping everyone is kicking butt with their interview prep, and best of luck to everyone who is interviewing! Home stretch of the process!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Narenn wrote:

I'm preparing for my interview tomorrow morning. On another note......first time in Boston but there is no skyline.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Narenn wrote:

I'm preparing for my interview tomorrow morning. On another note......first time in Boston but there is no skyline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round 3 - Should you or shouldn’t you?
Coming round the home stretch here and I imagine some of you
are still trying to decide whether to apply to HBS in Round 3 or not.

Before I begin my on the one hand, on the other
hand lecture, let me be clear:

If you are a college senior who has the bandwidth to
complete an application, I think that you should. 

Why?

I can't think of the downside risk. Well, actually I can
think of a couple:  it would be sad to
miss out on the last few weeks of college life in order to be prepping for the
GMAT or GRE. It would be even sadder if
you jeopardize your performance academically (senior thesis anyone?) in order
to get an application in under the deadline.    

Otherwise, I think that applying to 2+2 is a very smart
move. It's even economical (reduced application fee)!  The worst that can happen is that you get
turned down to the very small 2+2 Program. Many current students at HBS found themselves in that situation, went
out and joined the work world, and reapplied successfully. Here's the info on 2+2.

For the work experienced candidate it's a bit more
complicated. Many seats in the Class of 2018 are already taken. Getting a visa
may be tough. That said, here are some reasons to step up to the plate now:

• Financial aid doesn't run out: we have the same need-based funds available to Round 3 admits as we did for Rounds 1 and 2.
  • There's absolutely no stigma in being turned down - no negative implications for a future application.
  • Not too long a wait to get a decision - we'll get interview invitations out by Wednesday, April 20th at noon (12 PM EST) and final decisions will come out on Wednesday, May 11th at noon (12 PM EST).
  • Options for where you interview - interviews will be offered on campus and there will be limited number available in Menlo Park, NYC and London. Skype will also be available for some applicants.
  • History: we ALWAYS admit people from Round 3 and they are always very wonderful.

Dee
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts