Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Research (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
gloube wrote:
fakename wrote:
CrucialTaunt wrote:

I am trying not to think about it. Of course, I am not in any way succeeding in this.

I feel ya. I just realized from browsing the admissions blog that traditionally the majority of invites for non 2+2ers comes out in the first wave.

I wonder why they put dinged people through another week of agony..

Anyone has more information to back this?

Usually ~3/4 of the total interview invitations will go out on that first day, but in the grand scheme of things HBS does a 10x better job than most schools in terms of being completely clear with applicants on things like interview invites. Plenty of schools don't give any guidance on when interview invitations will start (or end) and some are known for doing interviews less than a week before decisions are released. So I think HBS does a pretty good job of minimizing the agony, especially given the volume of applications they receive relative to other schools.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Research (Education)
Send PM
Usually ~3/4 of the total interview invitations will go out on that first day, but in the grand scheme of things HBS does a 10x better job than most schools in terms of being completely clear with applicants on things like interview invites. Plenty of schools don't give any guidance on when interview invitations will start (or end) and some are known for doing interviews less than a week before decisions are released. So I think HBS does a pretty good job of minimizing the agony, especially given the volume of applications they receive relative to other schools.[/quote]

I do see that HBS does it much better than others.. But then, we all paid ~$250/app, so telling us a rough idea of when things are happening shouldn't be such a difficult, impossible task!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Will the news come out at 12pm EST @ Jan27th?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
optimusTR wrote:
Will the news come out at 12pm EST @ Jan27th?

News will come out for those lucky enough to get invited to an interview at 12pm on Jan 27th. For the rest of us, we will have to wait until the following Wednesday Feb 3rd before we are officially dinged. 2+2 invites come out on Feb 3rd as well, and potentially a very small number of further invites.

So if you don't receive an invite by 12.30pm on Jan 27th and you didn't submit a 2+2 app, then it is very likely that you have been dinged.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round 2 Interview Invitations
Greetings to all of you. This post is, quite frankly, not a news flash, but more like a reminder of what we’ve said before. We’re moving along here and the plan is to send out the first wave of interview invitations on Wednesday, January 27. Our plan is for this first wave to be released at 12:00 noon Boston time.

Invitations will include detailed instructions about the sign-up process and our Campus Interview Days. Remember, where you choose to interview has no bearing on the evaluation process - all of our interviews are conducted by members of the Admissions Board. If you choose to interview in a hub city, you are still warmly invited to come to campus and attend the activities we plan for the day.

We will send out invitations in two waves. As I just said, Wave 1 is January 27. On February 3, we will send out more invitations (Wave 2) and also release the candidates who will not be moving forward to the interview stage. Please note that all 2+2 interview invitations will go out in this second wave on February 3.

Please don’t send any additional materials to us. We consider applications complete at the time of submission and we will not be adding information to anyone’s file.

I do know that this stage is hard - the waiting - but please channel your energy into good deeds or work or family - or a million other things besides sending things to us!

Dee
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GRE 1: Q157 V166

GRE 2: Q160 V167

GRE 3: Q163 V166
GPA: 3.72
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
newsHBS wrote:
Greetings to all of you. This post is, quite frankly, not a news flash, but more like a reminder of what we’ve said before. We’re moving along here and the plan is to send out the first wave of interview invitations on Wednesday, January 27. Our plan is for this first wave to be released at 12:00 noon Boston time.

Invitations will include detailed instructions about the sign-up process and our Campus Interview Days. Remember, where you choose to interview has no bearing on the evaluation process - all of our interviews are conducted by members of the Admissions Board. If you choose to interview in a hub city, you are still warmly invited to come to campus and attend the activities we plan for the day.

We will send out invitations in two waves. As I just said, Wave 1 is January 27. On February 3, we will send out more invitations (Wave 2) and also release the candidates who will not be moving forward to the interview stage. Please note that all 2+2 interview invitations will go out in this second wave on February 3.

Please don’t send any additional materials to us. We consider applications complete at the time of submission and we will not be adding information to anyone’s file.

I do know that this stage is hard - the waiting - but please channel your energy into good deeds or work or family - or a million other things besides sending things to us!

Dee
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB

I heart these guys (and that will still be true even if I get dinged). I love how transparent they are with the process. The blog is super helpful and I wish more AdComs did this (admittedly, HBS AdCom probably has a lot more resources than most). Thank you HBS for the updates!! It makes the waiting slightly less painful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.21
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Ditto that sentiment! The transparency is really refreshing
Intern
Intern
Send PM
--

Originally posted by johngaliano on 25 Jan 2016, 12:32.
Last edited by johngaliano on 05 Aug 2016, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]

Send PM
gloube wrote:
If I'm invited I'll cry
If I'm not invited I'll cry
I'm crying right now

Garth - that was a haiku
Intern
Intern
Send PM
--

Originally posted by johngaliano on 25 Jan 2016, 13:18.
Last edited by johngaliano on 05 Aug 2016, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
newsHBS wrote:

Dee

Don't be so negative though, I know of someone who was called on the last date of R1 and he is now accepted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
First time posting here... have been checking here from time to time to see how others are holding up... wish everyone all the best on Wed!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Kudos
Everyone told me the waiting would be the worst part, and I laughed -- but really, I'd write another 5 essays if it meant I could end the waiting ;)

First thing I do if invited -- squeal, then text all of my supporters with the good news!
First thing I do if not invited -- lunchtime cocktail (or 5) to drown my sorrows?

Good luck to everyone -- the wait is almost over, and hope you all get some good news this Wednesday!

UPDATE: Got the interview invite and reacted just as predicted -- with some tears thrown in as well.

Originally posted by giapocalypse on 25 Jan 2016, 18:00.
Last edited by giapocalypse on 30 Jan 2016, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
First thing I do if invited: Jump and scream "I am the boss" endlessly.
First thing I do if not invited: Get wasted.

Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [7]

Send PM
Kudos
gloube wrote:
What will be the first thing you do
1/ if you're invited
2/ if you're not invited
?

(1) leave work and go day-drinking
(2) leave work and go day-drinking

[NOTE: this will be 9am in California]

But seriously folks, I will not be crying or drinking or anything else if I am not invited, and I hope we all keep some perspective on Wednesday. HBS is an incredibly competitive program and as far as I'm concerned, there's no shame in being dinged. Conversely, for those of us who do get called, it's a tremendous honor and achievement but does not automatically qualify us as masters of the universe.

When I was 17, I thought the world had really come to an end when I didn't get in to Yale's undergrad program. I was convinced it was the worst tragedy ever. I cried like a baby and felt so sorry for myself and cursed the unfairness of it all. And you know what? Much to my dismay, the world actually kept spinning on its axis. I ended up getting accepted into UCLA, U Chicago, Stanford and Johns Hopkins, and my life turned out pretty great even though I Did Not Get Into Yale. Lesson learned. Some of us will get invited to interview at Harvard. Some of us may even get accepted to Harvard. Many (most) of us will not. Regardless of the outcome, it does not define who any of us are. If you've applied then you're already affirmatively reaching for a better life, and all of us who work hard will have one. So let's stay cool.

That said, I have clearly chewed off all my fingernails this week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
gloube wrote:
What will be the first thing you do
1/ if you're invited
2/ if you're not invited
?

1. Refresh the page. Go to my inbox again. Recheck. Pinch myself. Repeat.
2. Silently tell myself that there's nothing more I could've done. Then channel that disappointment into become a person that HBS would regret not inviting :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Kudos
I am oddly unaffected by the wait this time. Perhaps because I never thought I had a serious shot at HBS, even getting to the interview stage, so I have the same level of amused anticipation as I would with a powerball ticket in my hand. I think if I do get an interview, I will likely be in the bucket of people they invite just to confuse the rest of us on what exactly the selection criteria is.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  43   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts