Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:44 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V37
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.46
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all McDonough Applicants:(2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
tfidy wrote:
KRMcNamee wrote:
tfidy wrote:
This place has become a ghost town, but I will share my updates. I've been waitlisted since R2. I am a military veteran applicant and I have been in the last year of my undergrad during the application process. I recently finished all my undergraduate classes, and I had not updated the Admissions team on my grades for the previous two terms – my undergrad is on the quarter system. However, I achieved a 3.6 and 3.5 the past two quarters (my GPA upon applying was a 2.81), and over the past year my GPA was a 3.6 in all upper-level coursework, so I sent the team my update hoping that it pushes me over the top when final waitlist decisions come out.

Looking back at previous threads it looks like they will be keeping us in the dark for quite awhile, so good luck nursing your nerves during the wait. Hoping I get to use my blue cup again at KEGS in August.

Anyone have a status update on the WL? The WL thread is pretty much dead, but maybe someone here has gotten a response of some kind.

I was told by the AdCom that we should be hearing back in "July". I do not think they have issued any updates regarding the waitlist, but my educated guess is we should hear by tomorrow. I have no way of verifying that, but it would be the only thing that makes sense. The orientation for the program is August 2nd, which would give anxiety riddled waitlisted folks 3 weeks to give 30 days notice at their current place, move to DC, find housing, and send all applicable paperwork for matriculation (official transcripts and degree verifications). I do not think it would be very realistic for them to admit someone with only 1 or 2 weeks left until the program begins, but I could definitely be wrong. They have traditionally issued decisions on Fridays throughout the process so I do not imagine that will change.

Hopefully enough people have decided to go elsewhere and withdraw their application so that you and I can get the admit! Good Luck. Let us see if patience and persistence pays off.

Good points, and I agree with you. I checked out the portal this afternoon, and it is down for maintenance until Wednesday 6.13. My guess - based on everything that you stated above and the site being down - is that we will FINALLY get an answer next Friday. I hope.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just called to talk to my Admissions Advisor today to request an expedited decision, but they were out of the office until July 13th working on next years recruiting (somewhat of a tell tale sign). I spoke with an assistant who stated that they have essentially sent out all of their admits and would only go to the waitlist if someone who has already accepted decided not to go for some reason. It sounds pretty bleak at this point and although there is still a chance it sounds highly unlikely to get admitted or get a decision in a timely manner.

Hope it still works out for you, and I am still holding out hope, but doesn't look like Georgetown is gonna be a go.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tfidy wrote:
Just called to talk to my Admissions Advisor today to request an expedited decision, but they were out of the office until July 13th working on next years recruiting (somewhat of a tell tale sign). I spoke with an assistant who stated that they have essentially sent out all of their admits and would only go to the waitlist if someone who has already accepted decided not to go for some reason. It sounds pretty bleak at this point and although there is still a chance it sounds highly unlikely to get admitted or get a decision in a timely manner.

Hope it still works out for you, and I am still holding out hope, but doesn't look like Georgetown is gonna be a go.

...****...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got the Ding 24hrs after requesting a decision. I was told that they could not give me a decision, and then received an e-mail from one of the leaders on the Adcom saying they were working on final decisions and that I should have mine not later than Friday, which I took as a good sign. 1 hour and 30 mins later I got the Ding e-mail. Really rough experience to be waiting 6 months to find out you are not getting in. My buddy who recently graduated from the program said there is still a chance to get admitted up until 1 week before the program starts, so I would wait it out on the waitlist just in case. Just my opinion, but they seemed to take exception to me requesting an expedited decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
tfidy wrote:
Got the Ding 24hrs after requesting a decision. I was told that they could not give me a decision, and then received an e-mail from one of the leaders on the Adcom saying they were working on final decisions and that I should have mine not later than Friday, which I took as a good sign. 1 hour and 30 mins later I got the Ding e-mail. Really rough experience to be waiting 6 months to find out you are not getting in. My buddy who recently graduated from the program said there is still a chance to get admitted up until 1 week before the program starts, so I would wait it out on the waitlist just in case. Just my opinion, but they seemed to take exception to me requesting an expedited decision.

Hey thanks for sharing. Applying to business schools is such a time consuming, mentally and emotionally exhausting process.

Couple of months back, I was prepared to reapply for next year's intake but was very fortunate to have been accepted into MSB for this year's intake.

I hope you will not give up and reapply soon. Getting accepted into business school is a really rewarding experience and I hope you get the chance to experience it.

I wish you all the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Received the final decision. Got ding !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm not sure if I should be worried or happy that I haven't heard a definitive answer yet. I see a lot of people posting dings on various forums, but I have not emails, no calls, and no update on the portal.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Getting ready to join the Georgetown MBA Program this fall?...

Getting ready to join the Georgetown MBA Program this fall? Before you arrive on campus for orientation, take some time to prepare yourself to go back to school and reflect on your post-MBA goals. Cristiana Arango, MBA ’16, shares her tips on Ten Things to Do the Summer Before your MBA Program on LinkedIn.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Georgetown McDonough is proud to share the stories of two...

Georgetown McDonough is proud to share the stories of two Hoyas featured onPoets & Quants Best & Brightest MBAs in the Class of 2016! Join us in congratulatingDevon Weiss, Founding MBA Fellow of the Georgetown University Women’s Leadership Institute (GUWLI), andCoral Taylor, VCIC (Venture Capital Investment Competition) Global Competition Champion. Weiss was an invaluable resource to both the Georgetown McDonough School of Business and the Georgetown Walsh School of Foreign Service as a dual degree student and will now be joining EY as a Senior Consultant. Taylor distinguished herself as a resource for our Consortium students and embodied our values of service and giving back. She will be joining Starbucks and working in brand management.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: The McDonough School
of Business has been selected by the Peace...

The McDonough School
of Business has been selected by the Peace Corps to join the Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship Program for returned Peace Corps volunteers. Through
this program, returned volunteers who are admitted to the Full-time MBA Program
as a Coverdell Fellow will receive a minimum of $10,000 in tuition scholarship
funding per year and the ability to apply for graduate assistantships. Fellows
will complete internships in underserved American communities, allowing them to
bring home and expand upon the skills they learned as volunteers. Additionally,
the application fee for all returned Peace Corps volunteers will be waived.
Tahira Taylor joined
our Full-time MBA Program after a career in marketing and experiences working
in Morocco and Lesotho with the Peace Corps. Tahira shares how the Georgetown
MBA Program adds value to her experience with the Peace Corps.
Transferable skills
The Peace Corps is
tough. When you arrive in your host country, you don’t speak the language (in
my case, Sesotho). You have to interact under high stress in a foreign culture
with people or tribes whom you never knew existed (the Basotho people). And
their expectations of you are extremely high (this was in part thanks to the
lovely volunteer who was at my site two years before me). I had to create
projects from the ground up through realizing what the community needed, what they
were lacking, and how my skills would be able to help them fix the problem.
Additionally, I had a challenge of even convincing them that the problems I had
identified were problems in the first place. And that those
“problems” needing fixing, by me, the American. I had to juggle doing
what I thought to be right, what I knew to be right, and what would be
appropriate with this culture. It meant that I could not work alone. No matter
how much I wanted to work alone, in the end, I had to build a team of locals
and fellow volunteers to get my project off the ground. I had to beg loved ones
for seed money, and petition organizations to contribute resources. With the
final success came many failures that preceded it, each one a discouraging
setback. But the Peace Corps experience made me gritty. It raised the bar I had
set for myself and for the things I want to accomplish.
The application
process to business school

Applying to the Peace
Corps and to business school is challenging! Both processes require essays and
interviews, but business school seemed to be looking for a heart that was much
more difficult to define. While the ideals of “making the world a better
place,” or “being a catalyst in the life of a child in a developing
nation,” are easily articulated, answering the “why business
school?” question is much harder. Given that alternatives exist both for
Peace Corps and business school, understanding why either is relevant to you is
an arduous task. But in my opinion, business school offers a unique credential
that can’t necessarily be duplicated.
I was constantly
asked, “why not continue working? Why not start your own business
now?” People even asked me, “why don’t you do the Peace Corps
again?” These are challenges that make it much more difficult to find the
“why” in business school. When I first started the application
process, I had a hard time deciding why business school was right for me, but
when I joined the Peace Corps, it was much clearer. I didn’t necessarily want
to change the world. When I applied to the Peace Corps, I wanted the
opportunity to grow personally and expand my horizons while at the same time
offering my skills and dedication to a community that often went unheard. I
wanted to help develop a community that, because of a lack of resources,
struggled to do so on its own. These points were hard to refute. But with
business school, many people find the alternatives equally qualifying. I chose
to come to business school, particularly the McDonough School of Business,
because I wanted to refine my skills in unfamiliar professional areas, build a
global network, continue my commitment to community service, and ultimately
take my career in a direction that it has become clear would require an MBA.
My
MBA experience so far

I have thought of
making friends in business school to be a lot like making friends in the Peace
Corps. You’re a group of strangers coming from a world of different
backgrounds, but you’ve been brought together by the same common struggle. Not
only that, but the territory is unfamiliar to everyone. In the Peace Corps when
you’re first thrown into a foreign country with other volunteers, you have to
navigate your way around the landscape and still manage to make genuine
connections with others. Just like in business school when you think of your
classmates as your future network, you have to look at your fellow volunteers
as your future partners on projects. Having the experience of scouting who
would be right for a project in the village is just as difficult as deciding who
will be able to help me put together the perfect startup proposal!
Business school is
tough. When you arrive on campus, you don’t speak the language (in my case,
finance). You have to interact in a high-stress environment in a new area with
people from professional backgrounds that you never even knew existed, and from
countries where you’ve never been. And the expectations of you are extremely
high. You have to complete projects from scratch, identify issues, and come up
with creative and effective ways to fix them. Sound familiar? The business school
experience has made me even more gritty, and because of both my Peace Corps experience,
and my time so far at the McDonough School of Business, my personal bar is even
higher.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Photo
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: The Global Social Enterprise Initiative (GSEI) builds...

The Global Social Enterprise Initiative (GSEI) builds partnerships with corporations, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations to tackle social, economic, and environmental issues. GSEI student leaders interact with our partners, faculty, and other stakeholders through real world opportunities. Led by Professor Bill Novelli, founder and distinguished professor of practice at Georgetown McDonough, and Executive Director Ladan Manteghi, the initiative brings the innovation generated by cross-sector partnerships to bear on the world’s most pressing problems. Surabhi Agrawal, MBA ’16, shares the value of her experience as a GSEI student leader.
Being a GSEI student leader for the past two years has been an amazing opportunity for me to engage not only with other MBA students interested in social justice, but also with students from other programs at Georgetown University. Through GSEI, I have met other passionate student leaders and alumni who aim to build a career imbued with a sense of purpose.
As a social entrepreneur interested in issues of food security and food injustice, I focused on the National Summit on Rural Entrepreneurship, which brought together farmers, entrepreneurs, and policy makers to focus on issues in rural development. I also helped organize a Hunger Relief panel, moderated by Kerry Sullivan, the President of the Bank of America Charitable Foundation, as well as executives from the World Food Program, Feeding America, and DC Central Kitchen.
My role as a student leader has helped me grow - both in leading activities and networking with change-makers in business and the social impact space. Some of GSEI’s key partners include the AARP, Bank of America (founding partner), the Niger Delta Partnership Initiative, Philips, the Viscardi Center, the White House Rural Council, and the U.S. Department of State. This year, students were given the chance to travel to Chicago for workshops, lunch with leading entrepreneurs and philanthropists, compete in an elite impact investing international competition, and get support to participate in social enterprise related issues events. GSEI student leaders also have access to career guidance, professional networks, and unique internships and job opportunities.
Not only is GSEI a unique part of Georgetown McDonough, but it’s also a terrific opportunity for students to learn about critical issues and engage with key leaders.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Photo
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: In 1957, the School of Business Administration grew out...

In 1957, the School of Business Administration grew out of
Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service. As the McDonough School of
Business celebrates our 60th anniversary this year, the MBA Admissions Team
would like to take a moment to reflect on the success of our alumni.  We
start our Alumni Stories Series with Nihar K. Shah, Senior Development Manager
at Grosvenor, a privately owned property group.
Why did
you choose Georgetown McDonough?

I wanted to get in on the
ground floor of a top-tier business school program. When I matriculated, it had
a fledgling real estate program, but I knew the vision of the faculty would not
only improve its ranking, but also bring better students, employers and
opportunities. Having such a prestigious brand behind you speaks volumes when
speaking to potential employers or financial partners as they appreciate the
thorough curriculum.
How did you leverage the
curricular and co-curricular opportunities in the program?

While the courses and
professors were excellent at Georgetown McDonough, I wanted to do more to fully
absorb myself in real estate. I joined the Real Estate Society and was the
liaison between the Full-time and Evening Programs. I did every possible real
estate case competition that was offered in order to learn how professionals in
the industry treat live projects. I also networked with alumni, faculty, and
senior leaders of the real estate industry that were brought together by the
efforts of the Steers Center for Global Real Estate.
In addition, I was in
continuous communication with the MBA Career Center on how to improve my
current position and seek out opportunities that I desired. The opportunities
are endless as long as you are willing to work for them.
What has been your return on
investment for the Georgetown MBA Program since graduating?

Astronomical. From a knowledge
standpoint, I laugh at how little I knew about real estate development when I
first started the program. There is always room for improvement, but Georgetown
McDonough provided me the tools and opportunities to have accelerated my path
in real estate development. Financially, which is obviously a critical
component to invest in a MBA program, I’ve more than doubled my salary.
What did you like most about
your experience?

Hands down the camaraderie
between those that used to be considered ‘classmates’ and are now lifelong
friends. Those enrolled in McDonough are as ambitious, gritty and fun loving as
you. I remember staying up until 4 a.m. to study for finals, or finish a real
estate case competition project only to go to work the next day at 7 a.m. There
was never a single complaint on the amount of work that was required to be put
in to get to the next level. That in itself energizes and motivates you to push
through and become not only a better student and professional, but also a
better person.
Which cities or regions do you
see the most real estate development growth occurring in the next year or two?

Year over year, cities like Portland and Bend, Oregon, and
Salt Lake City, Utah has shown the most impressive growth as companies continue
to open up offices in these cities and housing is still affordable. However,
cities like Boston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. are strong,
stable markets that consistently deliver high amount units every year as their
respective economies continue to produce well-paying jobs and opportunities.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Many of our students use the
Georgetown MBA Program to make a...

Many of our students use the
Georgetown MBA Program to make a change in their career. Whether it’s switching
your career function, or an industry switch, Georgetown McDonough is
well-equipped to assist you with your career transition through Career Center
support, peer advising, professional clubs and an engaged alumni community.
Julie Young, MBA ‘15, joined Georgetown McDonough after working as a
teacher in New York City with Teach for America and then serving as Senior
Manager of Operations for Relay Graduate School of Education. Julie immersed
herself in the Georgetown McDonough community through her involvement in clubs,
and by serving as an MBA Admissions Student Ambassador and MBA Career Center
Peer Advisor. By leveraging the resources in our community, she made the switch
from a career in education to federal consulting as a Strategy Consultant at
Accenture.
 Why did you choose Georgetown
McDonough?

I chose Georgetown McDonough
because I knew it was a community where I could give a lot, and get a lot back.
 The relatively small class size enables you to really get to know your
classmates, and I wanted a school with that tight-knit community.  An
added advantage of the small class size is that you have access to exciting
opportunities – whether that is research with a professor, leading a club, or
starting a new initiative.  Georgetown McDonough is a place where you
can’t hide, and I wanted a place where I could be very engaged.
How did you leverage the
curricular and co-curricular opportunities in the program?

I was very involved at Georgetown McDonough. I
was a Student Ambassador in MBA Admissions, a Peer Advisor at the MBA Career
Center, the VP of Community and Sustainability in Student Government, and a
member of Net Impact, Georgetown Women in Business, and the Consulting Club.
 Through these extracurriculars I was able to have an impact on our
program, whether it was through spearheading annual events in the Month of
Volunteerism, helping other students with nontraditional backgrounds prepare for
the transition into consulting, or by helping shape the incoming class as a
Student Ambassador.  I also took advantage of the resources offered
through these clubs.  The Case Prep program run by the Consulting Club was
one of the most important things I did to prepare myself for job interviews.
 Through the networking opportunities provided by the club and career
center, I was able to successfully move into consulting, even without having a
“traditional” business background.
What has been your return on
investment for the Georgetown MBA program since graduating?

The
program has been incredibly positive for my career, both in terms of my earning
potential, as well as the professional skills I’ve gained.  Since
Georgetown McDonough doesn’t require you to choose a specific concentration, I
was able to build a course load that helped me gain the technical, and
quantitative skills I lacked coming into the program. I also took a number of
business strategy courses, which have been very helpful in my role as a
consultant.  When I started my internship, I was nervous about how I would
stack up to the other fifty-odd business school students I interned with, but
found that I was really strong in terms of my content knowledge and ability to
problem solve.  Having small classes and access to professors meant that I
had the opportunity to stand in front of classmates and professors to present
my ideas and defend my solutions, and that experience set me apart from other
students who may not have had training on the more interpersonal aspects of
consulting.
What did you like most about
your experience?

While it sounds cliché, I
really loved the people. I made some of my best friends at Georgetown
McDonough, and had classmates who challenged my beliefs and understandings
throughout the two years. Having a tight-knit class enables you to get to know
one another in terms of your strengths and weaknesses, and I was able to
leverage that and learn from my classmates.  The program is very
collaborative and having people who knew me well and could help me in areas
where I wanted to grow was incredibly valuable.
What are some of the biggest
challenges you faced as a “career switcher” and how did you tackle these?

I
think one of the biggest challenges you face as a career switcher is your own
self-doubt.  There will be other people who are looking at the same jobs
as you who have more traditional experience, and it can get easy to be
overwhelmed by that and  feel like you’re behind.  It was important
for me to be able to block out some of the noise at the beginning of school,
and to stay confident in my own goals and abilities.  The MBA Career
Center and professional clubs were incredibly important resources to me in
learning how to translate my experience into more traditional business
language.  I found that the more comfortable I became with asking
questions and asking for help, the more support I found in making that
transition.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Meet Georgetown McDonough’s Class of 2018 on Poets & Quants....

Meet Georgetown McDonough’s Class of 2018 on Poets & Quants. Among our future leaders highlighted are: Calvin Alexander Cortes, Milagro Aguinaga, Jiyoung (Jeannie) Goo, Jeff Killian, John Wenstrand and Nomble Coleman. Read profiles of our students and hear their advice on the application and interview process here.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Meet Georgetown McDonough’s Class of 2018 on Poets &...

Meet Georgetown McDonough’s Class of 2018 on Poets & Quants. Among our future leaders highlighted are: Kelsey Lents, Gershon Blyden, Navin Thawani, Jeanine Buzali, Zhamilya Gafur and Rebecca Lila Arnold. Read profiles of our students and hear their advice on the application and interview process here.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts