Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10020 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10020 [1]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
"I often receive emails from students worried about their decision timelines. We adjust our decision timelines based on the overall amount of applications. On deadline day, early October/January and mid-April, we receive roughly 1,000 applications in a 24-hour period. A student’s timeline to receive a decision shifts towards 6-weeks. Between deadlines, we are efficient! We trend towards 4 weeks otherwise." - Kelsey.

"I’m often asked what students can do to differentiate themselves. We build a class of students who we feel will be great community members. Building relationships with students are often a part of that decision making process. Regardless if you’re able to visit campus or not, keep in touch with us, send us an email, get to know us! It’s one of the pieces of the application process that some students overlook." - Kelsey

Question: I wanted to ask how the application committee looks at an applicant who’s on the higher end of experience level – say 11 years at the times of joining the class. Can age be a deciding factors, all others parts of the application notwithstanding?

Answer: Great question! When I read an application, I try to envision what a student will bring to the classroom experience. I want to ensure that a student will be able to share their experiences. For students with more years WE, there’s more potential for that student to help peers transition into their sector by running a club, connect them with contacts, contribute to a classroom discussion. No single factor is a deciding one - we look for reasons to admit.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Question: Being unemployed for 2/3 months while changing job could be viewed as a weakness by the adcom? if it could be, can I explain the reasons in an additional essay. Thanks!

Adcom: A gap of 2/3 months is not uncommon between jobs. There’s a spot in the application where we ask whether there are any gaps. I suggesting using that space. It is not necessarily a negative. I’m of the opinion that it depends what you do with that gap. Are you travelling, studying, relocating? It is in your best interest to detail how you’re spending your time. Never leave anything up to question!

Question: Do you expect any change in Immigration policy with the new administration? If yes, what do you think about the impact on the MBA graduates especially in terms of their career placements?

Adcom: I understand the concerns for international students in regards to attending a US school. Any change to Visa or Immigration policies will be most likely slow to change. I’m hopeful that any potential change won’t affect this upcoming class. That said, we have a dedicated office - our International Students & Scholars Office - that is prepared to deal with any change in policy.

Question: Could a low GPA be mitigated by taking additional courses? eg. a corporate finance or equity valuation course?

Adcom: I never suggest that students jump into any additional coursework. As a prospective student, you’re main responsibility is your current job. Some students don’t have the time or resources to undertake additional coursework. I cannot ding a student who is unable to do so. I suggest focusing on what you can change - your test scores. Focus on those, do your best, retake if you need to. That being said, if you have completed coursework - submit those transcripts. It’s never a negative thing that a student has undertaken courses.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has anyone in Asia heard back from CBS after an interview lately? I interviewed on 8th and my feedback was submitted on 9th. I am yet to hear a decision from them. I wonder if there is still a chance..hoping for a miracle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 3.61
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '16 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GPA: 3.48
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Any news for RD applicants? I Haven't seen status update yet and I applied in July
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Adcom has started to review applications and will begin to send out invites later this week. They review the RD after the ED so your app has been waiting until just recently. Good luck and stay tuned!

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
javierpe89 wrote:
Any news for RD applicants? I Haven't seen status update yet and I applied in July

They send out first RD invites tomorrow, 01 Dec. Read the article on Clear Admit / News / BSchool News / News / 2nd Page. They started reviewing RDs on the 21st Nov. They review applications in a chronological order, and since you submitted very early tomorrow may be a big day for you! Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Vickk wrote:
javierpe89 wrote:

They send out first RD invites tomorrow, 01 Dec. Read the article on Clear Admit / News / BSchool News / News / 2nd Page. They started reviewing RDs on the 21st Nov. They review applications in a chronological order, and since you submitted very early tomorrow may be a big day for you! Good luck!

Thanks! I'm just wondering if there should be any status change in my app.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
I havent received any status change, I submitted in November though. Do you guys think we will get a reponse before the end of the year?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.95
WE:Business Development (Insurance)
Send PM
received an interview today around 1040AM EST. Applied RD on September 6.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts