Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 11:00 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 11:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1270 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V37
GMAT 3: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Invited to interview!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: FuquaTalks: Terrifying and Transformational
Imagine that moment when you revealed your deepest secret to someone for the first time. That thing that you hold so close to you, that only your most intimate friends and family know it; how it shapes you and the struggles you’ve had with it over the years. Were you scared? A little thrilled to have it out in the open finally?

Now picture doing that to almost 200 people who don’t know you, baring your soul as a public speech. That’s FuquaTalks. And it’s one of my proudest accomplishments at business school.

FuquaTalks is a space for individuals to model self-reflection that inspires discussion in the Fuqua community. It typically involves a 15-minute personal narrative told to any and all from Fuqua who want to attend, followed by Q&A. I was nominated by a close friend and classmate, as it fit well with two of my goals during my time in Durham: be more open and become a better public speaker. Be careful what you wish for.

The FuquaTalks committee members were extremely kind in helping me determine my topic, craft my message, and muddle through my initial drafts. I was one of four speakers selected for the Fall Term 2 iteration.

Then a sense of dread set in.

I was going to do this. I was going to speak to my classmates about this intensely personal topic, and I couldn’t undo it. There was a second surprise buried in the congratulatory email: I had only a week to prepare my 15-minute talk.

Preparation and the Talk Itself
For the entire week leading up to the Talk, I would wake with a sense of animal panic as my brain reminded me of my impending public revelation. I prepared for it feverishly. It took me two days just to get the wording right. I locked myself in a study room for three days straight to memorize the Talk, word-for-word.

The day before the Talk, my mind had discovered an anxiety-reducing mantra: “Maybe no one will come.” Then Dean Russ Morgan sent out a reminder email, and every person I encountered in the halls told me how excited they were to hear it.

I’d like to think I went to the talk itself, all of my preparation, chin held high, defiant of the fear resting in my gut. But the truth is, I had too much nervousness for that. I had only a week to prepare something I’ve wrestled with my entire life. I can’t do that. How do I do that? Can I do that?

Then I did it. I spoke about my relationship with my younger brother, and how viewing the world through his eyes gave me a renewed and more accepting perspective of myself. It came out the way I had practiced, and I thought I did it justice, considering all the constraints.

FuquaTalks Takeaways
Two things surprised me about the entire experience.

First, I’m glad that by chance I spoke before the other participants. I would have been too focused on my own apprehension to listen to them. The other three speakers chosen were phenomenal. Their topics were moving, heartfelt and personal: motivations for coming to business school, traumas they had struggled with, faith. I teared up several times during their talks.

Second, I was surprised at how incredibly supportive the Fuqua community was afterward. I had strangers, both students and faculty, coming up to me weeks after my talk and thanking me for sharing my story. I was stunned to have divulged so much and to be so readily embraced by those around me. It wasn’t the first time I’d experienced that at Fuqua, but it was certainly the most personally meaningful.

The entire experience served to reinforce not only a truth about the incredible community and support that I have as a student at Fuqua but also a capital “L” Life Lesson: The more you put yourself out there, the more you’ll be rewarded. It felt like a hard-fought lesson to learn after all of the fear, practice, and exhaustion. But I’m not sure I would have even put myself out there and taken that risk had I not been in a place as challenging, as cooperative, and as accepting as Fuqua.

Students gathered in the courtyard to hear stories of their classmates' personal journeys #fuquatalks

A photo posted by Duke Fuqua (@dukefuqua) on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:15pm PDT

The post FuquaTalks: Terrifying and Transformational appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: How Second-Year MBA Students Impact the Business School Experience
At Fuqua, my business school experience has been transformational rather than transactional. This is due in large part to the work of second-year MBA students throughout the Fuqua community.

Second-year students pass on their wisdom, experience, and advice to first-year students in a number of formal ways: Coach K Center on Leadership & Ethics (COLE) fellows help their first-year classmates with personal development, while career fellows and academic fellows focus on recruiting and classes. The generous contributions of second-years not only build strong relationships, but they move the entire MBA community in a forward trajectory.

Here is a list of the top things first-years learn from second-years:

1. Leadership
COLE fellows help first-years be thoughtful about their leadership journey at Fuqua through the lens of the paired principles, with the goal being to become stronger and more impactful leaders. COLE fellows lead six sessions with their consequential leadership (C-LEAD) team to discuss how each principle can be applied to the team, Fuqua, and beyond. 

2. Perfecting the Resume
Career fellows mentor three to four first-years through the recruiting process. Career fellows conduct rigorous resume and cover letter reviews in which first-years are provided honest and constructive feedback to ensure resumes are ready for the recruiting process.

3. How To Give Feedback
COLE fellows help teams optimize their cohesion and productivity by conditioning them to share feedback with one another. At Fuqua, first-year teams take core classes with their section (approximately 70 students) and work on assignments with their C-LEAD teams. Fuqua has institutionalized mechanisms to share feedback within teams while COLE fellows facilitate the discussion and help teams with difficult conversations.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 24x612.jpg
Members of the COLE Fellowship participate in training sessions in advance of their work with first-year teams.

4. Storytelling
Career fellows help first-years crush interviews through one-on-one coaching and feedback about how best to tell their story. When I was a first-year, my career fellow was always there to help and even though he’s graduated is still just a text away!

5. How to Master the Core
Seriously! I would not have made it through the core classes without review sessions and tutoring offered by academic fellows.

6. Networking
Career fellows coach first-year students on identifying and prioritizing target employers.

7. Personal Development
COLE fellows meet twice with first-years to identify leadership gaps in order to create a personal development plan for their time at Fuqua.

The post How Second-Year MBA Students Impact the Business School Experience appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1518 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Top Contributor
Any more invites coming for R2 applicants?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Everyone!

I was invited to Duke in February and just had my interview in San Francisco, CA this Saturday. This website has been so helpful to me that I wanted to provide some insight into my experience with Duke to help others with their process.

I visited Duke in December, so I decided interviewing on campus wasn't necessary. It was a BIG deal that I went to campus because most people had not. If you're applying in round 3, or haven't had your interview yet, I HIGHLY recommend visiting campus. It would have been a much different experience had I answered "no" when asked about visiting campus. Trust me on this one.

I arrived in San Francisco at 9:00am and there were roughly 40 applicants who interviewed that day. We had a great Admissions Representative who was extremely welcoming and cordial. After 45 minutes to an hour of mingling with alumni interviewers, my interviewer pointed me out and we walked me into an interview room. She was a strong interviewer and had been an alumni interviewer for the past three years, so although a bit intimidating, it was nice that she carried herself so well. I don't remember the exact order and may have missed a question or two, but below is the list of questions to the best of my ability:

1. Walk me through your resume.
2. Why Now?
3. Why an MBA?
4. What do you know about Team Fuqua?
5. Tell me about some critical feedback that you received.
6. Tell me about your biggest regret and your biggest accomplishment.
7. Tell me about a time you led others
8. What is the biggest asset you'll bring to Fuqua School of Business.

She ended the conversation with "Do you have any questions for me?". Of course, I was prepared with a few personal questions as well as program information.

The admissions team also scheduled a meet-up for drinks after the event in downtown San Francisco. It gave us another great opportunity to get to meet other applicants as well as the admissions representative and current students. It was an extremely engaging process and unlike any other interview processes I've heard about. I'm hopeful to be admitted and wish the best of luck to everyone else!

Sincerely,

Another Hopeful Duke Applicant
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Cant wait for 15 March )) Had very positive interview. Hopefully one day I will also interview applicants for Fuqua :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Duke '19
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Hey everyone, just a quick question about the Fuqua interview (long time reader - this site has been fantastic for my MBA journey). I was lucky enough to be invited for an interview (on-campus) but I'm uncertain as to what to wear. While the invite said business casual, I would think that a suit with a tie would be the best case. I don't think that this would happen but would the admissions look down on me not following their rules for wearing business casual? What has been the break down of business casual/formal for those of you who have interviewed on campus? Sorry for the long post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.65
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
wear a suit and tie
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Both times i was there all male applicants were wearing suit and tie. Prepare as if it's a job interview (appearance-wise)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Kudos
LongWay wrote:
Hey everyone, just a quick question about the Fuqua interview (long time reader - this site has been fantastic for my MBA journey). I was lucky enough to be invited for an interview (on-campus) but I'm uncertain as to what to wear. While the invite said business casual, I would think that a suit with a tie would be the best case. I don't think that this would happen but would the admissions look down on me not following their rules for wearing business casual? What has been the break down of business casual/formal for those of you who have interviewed on campus? Sorry for the long post.

I vote you wear a suit and tie. I went business casual and felt underdressed in the waiting area :oops:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts