Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [26]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: Scientists at Oxford have recently found that animals across the [#permalink]
rishirajnarooka wrote:
Scientists at Oxford have recently found that animals across the evolutionary spectrum have a keen sense of quantity, able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but two from four, four from ten, forty from sixty.

A. able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but
B. able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, and
C. which are able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but
D. have the ability to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but
E. distinguishing not just bigger from smaller or more from less, and

Please if experts can comment on the official answer, it would be helpful. I could figure out four wrong ones but I am not sure about the structure of the OA.

egmat, could you explain sentence structure of option A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
Send PM
Re: Scientists at Oxford have recently found that animals across the [#permalink]
Tapesh03 wrote:
Can someone help explain why D is incorrect or how "able to distinguish" be better choice than "have the ability to"?
D is incorrect because have does not contain a subject.
Look for subject verb pairs.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
D is incorrect because it uses have again whereas have which was already used act as verbal for both keen sense and able to distinguish.

A is correct as it follows not...but construction.. not..and construction is wrong..

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Send PM
In my opinion A is correct as others have rightly pointed out the mistakes in other 4 options

Reg Option A structure
[Scientists at oxford] Subject
Have recently found [verb]
That [subordinate clause] animals across the evolutionary spectrum have a keen sense of quantity.

This is whole sentence on its own.

The next portion after the comma is a modifier that modifies this previous clause.

Within the modifier question is testing us on the usage of idiom “not just” X but “y”

Hope it helps.Kudos if it was useful.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
What is the mistake in option 'C'? Here 'which' correctly modifies ' a keen sense of quantity'!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
rakeshlochansarma wrote:
What is the mistake in option 'C'? Here 'which' correctly modifies ' a keen sense of quantity'!

who are able to distinguish -> the animals.

Hence, animals should be placed in front of ", which".

cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Here is my two cents:

Scientists at Oxford have recently found that animals across the evolutionary spectrum have a keen sense of quantity, able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but two from four, four from ten, forty from sixty.

A. able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but ( able to idiom is correct. Also idiom Not just X but Y is correct other similar idiom is not X but Y. There seem to be no other error. Hence correct)
B. able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, and (Idiom Not Just X and Y is wrong Idiom)
C. which are able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but (which seems to modify quantity and that illogical)
D. have the ability to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but ( We can say that animals have X, Y and Z. However, sentence structure in this answer choice does not maintain that parallelism)
E. distinguishing not just bigger from smaller or more from less, and ( Distinguishing is acting as a verb-ing modifier and is modifying animals but animals are not the main subject of the sentence. Also using a verb-ing here followed by But at the end does not convey a clear structure) - also if someone else can shed some light on the reasoning of this option. I will appreciate that.

Also without the fluff, the meaning of the sentence and structure seems something along these lines:

Scientists have found that animals have a keen sense of quantity, Also that animals are able to distinguish not just X but Y (a prepositional phrase explaining more about animal's senses.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Hi
GMATNinja , mikemcgarry
I want to knw the diffrence between A and C
I think
In C which refers to animalsbecase which has a verb are so it will refer to plural and
In that animals are plural and also it containsable to as well as not just butconstruction .
Above all seems perfact to me ..
So plz advice how to choose between A and C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
viv007 Just wanted to ask you a clarification question. Isn't there is a rule that a relative pronoun usually modifies the closest noun and it can only modify a far away noun if the information closest to the relative pronoun cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence? if this rule is correct then would option C still be correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Rocket7 wrote:
viv007 Just wanted to ask you a clarification question. Isn't there is a rule that a relative pronoun usually modifies the closest noun and it can only modify a far away noun if the information closest to the relative pronoun cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence? if this rule is correct then would option C still be correct?

yes, correct but the thing is that when we have same verb for the subjects(for example if verb is singular and we have two singular subjects) then we follow that i think, but here verb is plural and for that only animals is true,
so as far as my understanding this option is also correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Able is an adjective and should modify the nearest noun. So what does "able" modify?
Is it modifying sense ?
If Able modifies animals then it means that modifier touch rule is ignored for the sake of meaning and clarity. Similarly why can't "which " skip and refer to animals.
Yes, I understand that Which can only jump to far of its antecedent when there is no verb in between its intended antecedent and which.
But here the predicate is short and i guess i read it in some blog (magoosh) that if the predicate is short the modifier touch rule can be ignored for the sake of clarity
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
viv007 wrote:
Rocket7 wrote:

yes, correct but the thing is that when we have same verb for the subjects(for example if verb is singular and we have two singular subjects) then we follow that i think, but here verb is plural and for that only animals is true,
so as far as my understanding this option is also correct.

Sorry to join the party so late!

This is a non-official question, and like all non-official questions... this one needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The GMAT spends somewhere between $1500-3000 developing each GMAT question, and even the very finest test-prep companies can't compete, unfortunately.

With that in mind, here's (C) again:

Quote:

C. which are able to distinguish not just bigger from smaller or more from less, but

Logically, the phrase "which are able to distinguish..." modifies the animals -- and those are an awfully long way from the "which" modifier. In most cases, phrases beginning with "which" modify the immediately preceding noun. Sure, there are exceptions, but they aren't all THAT common -- and in most of those exceptions, the "which" modifier only "reaches behind" a prepositional phrase. It's very, very rare to see a "which" modifier reach behind a verb.

So the writers of this question were definitely thinking that the "which" is misplaced in (C), since "which are able to distinguish..." can't possibly modify the nearest noun, "keen sense of quantity." I see their point: (C) definitely isn't ideal, and it's hard to find many official GMAT examples that would place a "which" modifier so far from the thing it modifies.

I hope this helps!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619043 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos