Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello rohitakadisco28

4 years work ex in what role? What has been your career progress? Key achievements? Surely this matters more than just years and company You can read here to see what makes a complete profile.
Your college brand may help, but what field did you do B Tech in? What is your GPA? That will be used in combination with your GMAT score to assess your academic strength.
Extracurricular seem like they have potential, but what sort of capacity were you involved in? What is the contribution/impact you have had in these activities?
Out of the two career goals mentioned (which look disconnected from each other) which one ties well with your past experience or transferable skills? Are you making a career shift or is it a more organic growth? Since I do not know your existing role, it is tough to say whether your goals look a fit for the school or not. You could read here on career goals after an MBA.
My friend, for a more meaningful insight around you profile one must understand your profile in detail- on both a quantitative and qualitative scale.
Should you wish to discuss your profile in depth, reach out with more info.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

rohitakadisco28 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Below are my details. Please advise.. thanks in advance!

Background and nationality - Indian
Undergrad Information - IIT Madras B.Tech.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V37 IR7)
Work experience and leadership - 4 years work experience at Vodafone India Limited
Community and others - Worked in multiple NGOs, was felicitated as top 3 volunteers in VSO International Awards, London
Post MBA goals - Management Consulting, Customer Experience Strategy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Background and nationality
I’m Peruvian, 30.

Undergrad Information
Bachelors Degree in Communications from a top University here.
GPA 4.0 (15.9/20 originally).

GMAT: 710 (V41/Q45)

Work experience and leadership
7 years of experience in Marketing/Digital Marketing. I’ve been head of the digital marketing area of a brand in a top beauty corporation (present in 15 Latin american countries) since I was 27. My work has led me to assignments in Mexico, the US and Chile but I’m based in Peru (the corporate headquarters are here).

Community and others
Not much. I did some pro bono work consulting for an education NGO a couple of years ago.

Post MBA goals
To start working in France or Switzerland in marketig (fashion or beauty industries would be nice but are not my only target).

Anything else?
I’m worried about my quant score. 45 is 55 percentile and I dont know if I should retake the exam: This was my third attempt (I scored 36 on quant the last time, so you can guess its a challenge for me).
Do you guys think my resume is strong enough? Or is the quant score just too low?

Posted from my mobile device
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi CCLZA,

thank you for sharing your profile.

Overall, you have a strong profile: good career progression, already leadership experience, international exposure and motivation...

Your career goals in Fashion/Beauty in Paris or Switzerland make HEC Paris a very good choice.

Regarding your main concern, i.e. your Quant score, as you may know HEC Paris encourages to have balanced scores with at least 60% in both Quant and Verbal. Notice that it is not a requirement, but a strong recommendation.

Your overall score (i.e. 710) is 20 points above the school's average. For someone like you from an under-represented demography, this will definitely give you an advantage, and could potentially make the AdCom be less strict on your Quant score.

This being said, I would recommend you that on your application you stress your academic skills and accomplishments, especially in quant.

I hope this helps.

For a more detailed discussion, feel free to PM me or reach out to me directly at alex@arleeconsulting.com.

Good luck!
Alex
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
[quote="CCLZA"]Background and nationality
I’m Peruvian, 30.

Undergrad Information

<<snip>>

time, so you can guess its a challenge for me).
Do you guys think my resume is strong enough? Or is the quant score just too low?

A few more perspectives for you to consider CCLZA:
  1. The work profile is definitely the star of your candidature. The international exposure is right up the alley when it comes to what schools such as HEC desire. Make sure to leverage that well and showcase your skills, beyond the digital too. While you have mentioned head, it is not clear if you formally lead a team though? It is not uncommon for that to happen in the digital marketing area. So make sure you articulate this better.
  2. The transition you are trying to make is not very linear though. Despite your relevant experience, do bear in mind that marketing (beyond digital), is still a very local game. This means that despite the HEC brand, marketing roles are pretty tough to break into for international MBA grads. So make sure you've done your research well and know where you are headed.
  3. I wouldn't really consider GMAT as a deal breaker. Higher of course is always better.
  4. The non-work arc matters too; read here why. This could be a blind spot for you.
  5. Finally, always good to diversify and hedge your bets; meaning, don't just have one school in your consideration set.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hey!

I've scored 640. Also product manager. Brazilian, 27 yo. Bachelor in Communications. I'm was accepted to January 16 intake (rolling July application).

Probably an expert opinion is better than mine, but I would say you're on-track. ;)

Good luck! Maybe we'll meet in Jouy-en-Josas by next year.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
CCLZA wrote:
Background and nationality
I’m Peruvian, 30.

Undergrad Information
GPA 4.0 (15.9/20 originally).

GMAT: 710 (V41/Q45)

Work experience and leadership
7 years of experience in Marketing/Digital Marketing. I’ve been head of the digital marketing area of a brand in a top beauty corporation (present in 15 Latin american countries) since I was 27. My work has led me to assignments in Mexico, the US and Chile but I’m based in Peru (the corporate headquarters are here).

Community and others
Not much. I did some pro bono work consulting for an education NGO a couple of years ago.

Post MBA goals
To start working in France or Switzerland in marketig (fashion or beauty industries would be nice but are not my only target).

Anything else?
I’m worried about my quant score. 45 is 55 percentile and I dont know if I should retake the exam: This was my third attempt (I scored 36 on quant the last time, so you can guess its a challenge for me).

Posted from my mobile device

CCLZA It’s a close call, but I think you should go for it, given there might not be much potential to increase your quant without a lot of effort. They recommend 60 percentile, but you are pretty close.https://www.mba.hec.edu/Admissions/Requirements

So, I would recommend you complete MBA Math, to allay any potential concerns. Also make sure to include any other proof of numeracy: math/stats grades in college, any math-related work experience, etc.

There is clearly a very good fit between your background and what the school offers. Peruvians are underrepresented and that will sway things in your favor as long as they are confident in your ability to keep up (and you put forth a great application, of course.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi

I would appreciate your evaluation of my profile
Male, 24
GMAT - 710,
Indian
I am working as a practicing chartered accountant for over 2.5 years
I have started my own Firm and have merged to reach more than one state
Completed all qualification exams of Chartered Accountants (Secured all india 47th rank in CA finals)
Pursuing CFA level 2
Completed Bachelors of Commerce in Accountancy
12th CBSE 92.8%
10th CBSE 87.4 %
Completed Diploma course in system audits
Extra-Curricular - Worked with the office of Member of Parliament of India who is a member of various committees set up by government of India.
Part of Public relation committee of CIRC of ICAI
Held Position of Treasurer of Students committee of CIRC of ICAI

learning Guitar for the last 6 months , learning French.
Languages Know: Hindi, English, Learning French

I have extensive Leadership experience as team lead for engagements, more than two years..I have carried out work from Presenting the reports to the execution of work.I have carried out projects as freelancer for a few companies of US and Singapore

As i am pursuing CFA and gaining more knowledge of finance field like Financial modelling and Valuation i would like to work in investment banking.
I am considering the following colleges
Chicago Booth
Stanford
Insead
Hec Paris
Harvard
MIT Sloan
NYU Stern
ISB

Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello YashJain3011

These schools will look at you profile on the following factors. You may read more on these here.

1. Academic potential- Your CA background shows good potential, but your GMAT is close to average fro some schools (ISB/HEC/INSEAD) and much below the average score of other schools Will not really help you stand out. Indians are generally expected to score higher. Irrespective of that you will need a spike in the factors mentioned below.
2. Work Ex- While you work ex looks slightly on the lower side for most of these schools. Might be ok for ISB, but for INSEAD, HEC might be considered low. However, not a deal breaker, what is more important if the content and quality of your work ex. Entrepreneurship helps, showcase what have been your key achievements, how much have you grown the business. I'm sure you will have enough fodder for the essays.
3. Diversity- Though your profile is different from an average Indian applicant, your extracurricular activities will further help here. These look interesting, but just as in work ex, bring out your contribution and impact in these activities.
4. Career Goals- This looks a bit iffy. Since you are an entrepreneur and doing well, what would happen to your company once you go for an MBA and then for a job after that. You might need to build a clearer narrative here.
I feel you may have a good chance at ISB with this profile. For INSEAD/HEC you may wish to wait one more year and also showcase a bit of international outlook as well. US B schools feel slightly challenging (especially Stanford, Booth etc) with this GMAT.
However, this is mostly speculation based on the limited info one can share and read on a forum. A detailed discussion may lead to a better advice.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

YashJain3011 wrote:
Hi

I would appreciate your evaluation of my profile
Male, 24
GMAT - 710,
Indian
I am working as a practicing chartered accountant for over 2.5 years
I have started my own Firm and have merged to reach more than one state
Completed all qualification exams of Chartered Accountants (Secured all india 47th rank in CA finals)
Pursuing CFA level 2
Completed Bachelors of Commerce in Accountancy
12th CBSE 92.8%
10th CBSE 87.4 %
Completed Diploma course in system audits
Extra-Curricular - Worked with the office of Member of Parliament of India who is a member of various committees set up by government of India.
Part of Public relation committee of CIRC of ICAI
Held Position of Treasurer of Students committee of CIRC of ICAI

learning Guitar for the last 6 months , learning French.
Languages Know: Hindi, English, Learning French

I have extensive Leadership experience as team lead for engagements, more than two years..I have carried out work from Presenting the reports to the execution of work.I have carried out projects as freelancer for a few companies of US and Singapore

As i am pursuing CFA and gaining more knowledge of finance field like Financial modelling and Valuation i would like to work in investment banking.
I am considering the following colleges
Chicago Booth
Stanford
Insead
Hec Paris
Harvard
MIT Sloan
NYU Stern
ISB

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hey all!

I am planning to apply in the upcoming deadline (September 15) and wanted someone to review my profile.

I am a 27-year old male from India. Scored 660 (Q49, V31) in my last GMAT. I scored 70% during my graduation. I graduated in Computer Science Engineering after which I joined the Teach For India Fellowship in April 2015. I completed my Fellowship in April 2017 and have been working as a Recruiter for Teach For India since then. (Total Work-ex = 37 months).

I am planning to give the GMAT once again in the first week of September and hope to score >=720.

Xth - 93.4%
XIIth - 85.8%
Graduation - 70% (Engineering)

Work-ex: Teach For India (an NGO). Taught full-time in a government school for 2 years. Currently working as a Recruiter at TFI. Total work-ex (at present): 38 months

Interests:
Know how to play the piano. Learnt it for 7 years. Have given exams via the the Trinity College of Music, London. Also started learning the guitar.
Know basic Spanish.
Developed multiple apps for the Windows platform during my graduation, which were up on the Microsoft store for over 3 years.

Is my profile strong enough to be accepted for the Jan '19 intake?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Thank you all for your valuable input. I took in consideration your recommendations and finished my application today!
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rossy369,

thank you for sharing your profile.

You're doing the right thing by retaking GMAT. And yes, aim at +720.

There are some aspects of your profile that we will need clarification on:

(1) Besides going from Fellowship to Recruitment, is there any way you can show career progression? What are your main accomplishments?

(2) Do you have any international exposure?

(3) What are your career goals?

With this info, it will be easier to assess your chances.

Thank you
Alex
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello rossy369

While the info around your profile is limited and warrants more qualitative detail for a profile evaluation (you can read more on what is required in a profile here and here.
However, I see two additional concerns here-
a) You are basically looking to prepare, retake the GMAT and submit your application in the next 1 month. Not sure if that is going to be possible, unless you have already finished majority of the work on your written application already.
b) Make sure submitting so late (15 Sep) for Jan 19 intake is a good idea. It is one of the last rounds and chances of admission are slightly lower as you reach the last rounds. You might want to consider that.
Coming back to your profile, while you have some interesting bits out there, your career progression, achievements at work and extracurricular and more importantly Career Goals would matter the most in the application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

rossy369 wrote:
Hey all!

I am planning to apply in the upcoming deadline (September 15) and wanted someone to review my profile.

I am a 27-year old male from India. Scored 660 (Q49, V31) in my last GMAT. I scored 70% during my graduation. I graduated in Computer Science Engineering after which I joined the Teach For India Fellowship in April 2015. I completed my Fellowship in April 2017 and have been working as a Recruiter for Teach For India since then. (Total Work-ex = 37 months).

I am planning to give the GMAT once again in the first week of September and hope to score >=720.

Xth - 93.4%
XIIth - 85.8%
Graduation - 70% (Engineering)

Work-ex: Teach For India (an NGO). Taught full-time in a government school for 2 years. Currently working as a Recruiter at TFI. Total work-ex (at present): 38 months

Interests:
Know how to play the piano. Learnt it for 7 years. Have given exams via the the Trinity College of Music, London. Also started learning the guitar.
Know basic Spanish.
Developed multiple apps for the Windows platform during my graduation, which were up on the Microsoft store for over 3 years.

Is my profile strong enough to be accepted for the Jan '19 intake?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GRE 1: Q157 V156
GPA: 4
Send PM