Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Confused on GMAT scoring - 13 Incorrect = Q45 while 6 Incorrect = Q46 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
scholesy wrote:
Thanks.

I did not have consecutive wrongs. But got the hard ones wrong with half of them in 1st 11 questions.

I was trying to complete most of the questions as a 'strategy'... Need to realign the same.
Do you mean you were trying to get every question correct, or were you trying to make sure that you finished all questions in the section? If you're aiming for a high score, it is definitely a good idea to finish both the quant and verbal sections.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Confused on GMAT scoring - 13 Incorrect = Q45 while 6 Incorrect = Q46 [#permalink]
I intended to attempt all questions correctly but skipping time-consuming questions here and there.
It seriously back fired.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
scholesy wrote:
I intended to attempt all questions correctly but skipping time-consuming questions here and there.
It seriously back fired.
But that's what almost every test taker does. :)

What would your alternate strategy be?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
scholesy wrote:
It seriously back fired.
But that's what almost every test taker does. :)

What would your alternate strategy be?

First 10-12 questions get them right while limiting time to 2.30-3mins per Q.
Remaining 12-31 with around 2min per Q but skip one-off (if needed) to get back to speed?

Any suggestions?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Hello scholesy ... here is what I usually do for Quant:

1. Try to achieve 1:50 mins the avg Solution time.
2. For real tough ones 2:30 mins. And for 1-2 problem ..... if your math ego comes into play go for 3 to 3:30 mins ..... but remember you can cater to this ego only if your avg solution time is below 2:00 mins.

Now to achieve that - use this site. The math sections and the collections therein are pretty amazing.
i. If you are confident ...you can skip 500-level altogether.
ii. Start practicing 600 level Qs at the links below, and once I reach 90% accuracy(under 2 mins) I would move to 700 level.
iii. Similarly, at 700 level I would strive for 80-85% accuracy(again in 2 mins) ..... more the merrier !!
iv. Finally, definitely use GMAT Club Q-Tests (if you are targetting Q48++) :)

*Be mindful with your mistakes and the ones that you took more than 3 or 4 mins.
**Use GMAT Club pdf (free !! :) )to refresh concepts tested in the exam.

DS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question- ... 28728.html
PS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-ques ... 27957.html

All the best.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi scholesy,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. To reiterate, your GMAT score is based on not only the number of questions you answer correct/incorrect, but also the difficulty of those questions, among other things. Thus, it’s likely that on practice test 4, you got a few “lower-level” questions wrong, and that is what resulted in your Q46.

Regarding your timing strategy, you need to be really careful about blindly guessing on quant questions in order to pick up time during the exam. If you have too quick of a “trigger finger,” before you even realize it, you’ll have guessed on 5+ quant questions, and then what will happen to your score, right? Thus, you may consider taking a more organic approach to solving GMAT quant questions. In other words, your goal should be to correctly answer as many quant questions as you can (all the while keeping an eye on the clock).

To know when to give up on a question, you need to trust your instincts and follow your internal clock. For instance, let’s say you are 2 minutes into a question, but you know that you are on the right path; in that case, you’d want to keep going even if you would need 3 minutes to answer, right? After all, if you have fully mastered GMAT quant, then you should be in a position to answer some questions in 30 seconds, and thus it’s OK to spend more than 2 minutes on certain problems. On the other hand, say you are 60 or 90 seconds into a problem, and you know that you are going down a rabbit hole and likely will not be able to correctly answer the question. In that case, take an educated guess and keep things moving.

My overall point is, yes, it’s OK to guess, but ensure that you take a strategic approach to how and when you guess.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about timing strategies for a higher GMAT quant score, which discusses various aspects of quant section timing, including guessing strategies, in great detail.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In my experience, in the quant section, you should read each question twice. If you find that it’s in your ballpark after the first read, during the second read carefully take the notes you need and carefully work through the question (check simple working twice). Finally, scan the question again to make sure you’re answering the right question. If after the first read you have no clue/will take you ages to answer - skip and move on. Also, don’t let any skipped question get you down - once you skip it, move on completely and only focus on what’s in front of you. If you follow this process and consistently get low scores, you need to brush up on the basics.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
PS, you want to pace yourself well. It’s tough to get a good score if you skip the last 5-6 questions.

What you want to do is get the basics down cold and then practice the process over and over again

Kudos
scholesy wrote:
Hi .. I had taken GMAT Practice test 3 and got 13 incorrect in quants to get a score of Q45. Later I took GMAT Practice 4 and got 6 incorrect but only an improvement to a Q46 score.
Based on the various online resources, I thought that the Practice 4 quant score should be around Q48-Q50? Any light on these estimates?

Here is a link I had referred to infer my score: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-calculate-gmat-scores/

Here is the message in attachment from Ron. It may help you, probably.
Attachments

Quant Score.PNG
Quant Score.PNG [ 42.17 KiB | Viewed 3809 times ]

GMAT Club Bot