Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 02:00 It is currently 13 May 2024, 02:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: Judge Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi zedeffwu,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I see that you posted a profile review in several top European MBA programs, so I will respond about that.

While you have earned a CFA and received a promotion in the time since undergrad, I fear that the target universities may find it challenging to admit you at this stage in your professional development:
1. Academics: given your GPA is lower than average, you will need to strengthen it by adding at least an additional 10+ points to the overall GMAT score; potentially also consider coursework like HBS CORe to showcase your strength
2. Professional: While you have earned a promotion since graduation, you've left a firm shortly after receiving the promotion and held two jobs in those 2.5 years. This does not bode well for your marketability post-MBA (an essential criterion for admission). You are also on the younger side of the spectrum, so admissions officers may consider you too junior for an MBA.
Extracurricular: non-existent, which is not great. What happened in undergrad?

Individually, these weaker elements of your profile could be overcome; collectively, however, it will be challenging to secure admission.

Recommendation: I encourage you to wait another year before applying. Develop a plan of action that helps you address the various points above, so you can showcase a more seasoned candidate when you apply for 2022 intake.

I am sorry that this may not be what you want to hear. The application process is, in and of itself, an investment. It's better to take a year to strengthen your profile and be victorious than to be rejected and feel the ramifications of that experience (it's not fun). Happy to speak about your profile offline. When ready, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

zedeffwu wrote:
I am a Singaporean Chinese, graduated from a local university (which ranks well on international lists) in Business, majoring in Finance in end-2017. Worked for 2 years at an investment banking/equity capital markets boutique doing small deals and corporate finance advisory. Moved to commercial deal team in a large state-owned enterprise shortly after receiving a promotion, focusing on sustainable energy solutions.

My main issues are a low undergraduate GPA and lack of extracurriculars.

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:
My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited. The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in Europe on Erasmus. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into strategy consulting to earn my chops; and 3. hopefully continue developing in the sustainable energy space in the future after.

Why I want one now:
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility given my background.
There's 1 year 10 months of mandatory military service in Singapore (at 19), which explains the age/work experience I have today (3.5 years post-Bachelor's at point of matriculation for the September 2021 intake). From a practical standpoint, it's when I have the least opportunity cost to pursue a full-time MBA while also meeting the minimum work requirements to make a competitive application.

Background
Work experience:
2 years 2 months in a no-name equity capital markets boutique. Promoted at the end of the second year.
Started working at a state-owned enterprise from end-February (annual revenue US$3 bn), on a deal desk that has an international focus (especially China) in sustainable energy solutions and investments.
Will reach a cumulative >3.5 years of experience in time for matriculation for September 2021.

Extra curriculars and other experience:
Minimal. School athlete in running before age 19.

Undergrad school/major:
Singapore university with decent international rankings (NTU/NUS), Bachelor in Business (major in Finance).

Other education/coursework:
Passed CFA Level 1. Took a bunch of online courses in Python and SQL.

Race/nationality: Singaporean Chinese.
Sex: Male.

Stats
GMAT Score: [Online] 720 (Q49, V38, IR7)
Undergrad GPA: 3.90/5.00 (3.12/4.0; 2:2)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Judge Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background:
I was born in Malaysia, but I lived and did my early education in Brunei Darussalam. At the age of 16, I left to pursue my Pre-University course and, afterwards, my degree in Malaysia (living there independently for a total of 4 years). After the completion of my degree, I went on to pursue a MSc in Management program at SMU (Singapore), and have been living and working there ever since (for a total of 5 years).

Is it possible to count this as having international experience? (15 years Brunei, 4 years Malaysia, 5 years Singapore)

Race/nationality: Malaysian Chinese.

Stats
GMAT Score: 720 (Q48, V40, IR6)

Undergrad cGPA: 3.8/4.0 (First-Class, BSc Business Management) (Scholarship holder - around 40%)
A dual degree program with a top 10 UK University, but the degree is done entirely in the Malaysian campus. Will this affect anything?

Masters cGPA: 3.82 (Summa Cum Laude (Highest Distinction), MSc Management (Finance conc.) (Scholarship holder - around 50%+)

Before age of 18: Gold Medalist and Bronze Medalist for Brunei Taekwondo Championship (tournaments held among all Taekwondo associations in the country)
During Undergrad: Not much, joined and participated in a few investment-related societies and became a student ambassador.

Work experience:
Around 3.5 years of Commercial Banking for a regional bank.

Why I want an MBA:
I realize this part is extremely important, but I am not too clear-cut on my reasons yet and I definitely need to refine it before admission. Roughly speaking, I would like to use the MBA as a way to transition into corporate banking at a BB.

Thank you for the profile review, I really do appreciate your help.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi myriad123123

I think I have evaluated your profile for Oxford and would love to evaluate for Judge too. :)

As I said, your acads are really great along with a solid GMAT. In addition to strong academics, Judge looks out for highly motivated and ambitious candidates with the following qualities:

1. Can thrive under pressure, and have exhibited clear progression within their career
2. Have had some international experiences through the work and have a global outlook
3. Are confident, creative, innovative, with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
4. An interesting and varied life outside work

Judge is very particular about international experiences and if you are able to highlight what insights you have gained through the experience that you have had, you stand a fair chance to make it here. Also, whatever the goals you mention to pursue, try to give it a global shape. I am pretty confident that your profile can give some interesting stories in alignment with Judge’s values. If you’d like I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your profile in detail and your chances at some of these great schools. You can always visit the site ‘MBA and Beyond’ and schedule a call with us.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond
myriad123123 wrote:
Background:
I was born in Malaysia, but I lived and did my early education in Brunei Darussalam. At the age of 16, I left to pursue my Pre-University course and, afterwards, my degree in Malaysia (living there independently for a total of 4 years). After the completion of my degree, I went on to pursue a MSc in Management program at SMU (Singapore), and have been living and working there ever since (for a total of 5 years).

Is it possible to count this as having international experience? (15 years Brunei, 4 years Malaysia, 5 years Singapore)

Race/nationality: Malaysian Chinese.

Stats
GMAT Score: 720 (Q48, V40, IR6)

Undergrad cGPA: 3.8/4.0 (First-Class, BSc Business Management) (Scholarship holder - around 40%)
A dual degree program with a top 10 UK University, but the degree is done entirely in the Malaysian campus. Will this affect anything?

Masters cGPA: 3.82 (Summa Cum Laude (Highest Distinction), MSc Management (Finance conc.) (Scholarship holder - around 50%+)

Before age of 18: Gold Medalist and Bronze Medalist for Brunei Taekwondo Championship (tournaments held among all Taekwondo associations in the country)
During Undergrad: Not much, joined and participated in a few investment-related societies and became a student ambassador.

Work experience:
Around 3.5 years of Commercial Banking for a regional bank.

Why I want an MBA:
I realize this part is extremely important, but I am not too clear-cut on my reasons yet and I definitely need to refine it before admission. Roughly speaking, I would like to use the MBA as a way to transition into corporate banking at a BB.

Thank you for the profile review, I really do appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

I am a computer science engineering graduate from India passed out in 2015.
Currently, I am working in a Multi National Corporation as a Technology Consultant.

Here are my acads -

1. 10th - 84%
2. 12th - 67%
3. B.Tech (Computer Science) - 7.65

Total work experience is 5 years as BPM consultant, worked in different cities in India with different cultures.

Extra curricular -

1. 3rd position holder in District Swimming Competition.
2. Participated in numerous science aptitudes
3. Volunteered for Fire Safety Response Team in Office and received certification
4. Show cased GPS tracking android app in College Industrial Training.
5. As part Corporate Social Responsibility team, taught general mathematics to children in rural areas on weekends.

Currently, I am preparing for GMAT.
Please advise if my profile can get selected for MBA in LBS, Oxford, Cambridge.
If yes, what will be the best GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi sayantanm14,

It's really difficult to evaluate your profile based on the limited details you shared in your profile description.
I would love to do a valuable analysis for you, but for that I would need you to share a little more about your work experience (Think examples of leadership, decision making, promotions, achievements).

To give you some more context- Judge looks out for highly motivated and ambitious candidates with the following qualities :

1. Can thrive under pressure, and have exhibited clear progression within their career
2. Have had some international experiences through their work and have a global outlook
3. Are confident, creative, innovative, with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
4. An interesting and varied life outside their work

Happy to evaluate once you share more details. Alternately, if you’d like I am also happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your profile in further detail. Feel free to book his calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

sayantanm14 wrote:
Hi,

I am a computer science engineering graduate from India passed out in 2015.
Currently, I am working in a Multi National Corporation as a Technology Consultant.

Here are my acads -

1. 10th - 84%
2. 12th - 67%
3. B.Tech (Computer Science) - 7.65

Total work experience is 5 years as BPM consultant, worked in different cities in India with different cultures.

Extra curricular -

1. 3rd position holder in District Swimming Competition.
2. Participated in numerous science aptitudes
3. Volunteered for Fire Safety Response Team in Office and received certification
4. Show cased GPS tracking android app in College Industrial Training.
5. As part Corporate Social Responsibility team, taught general mathematics to children in rural areas on weekends.

Currently, I am preparing for GMAT.
Please advise if my profile can get selected for MBA in LBS, Oxford, Cambridge.
If yes, what will be the best GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for your kind response.
I would like to go in-depth regarding my professional area.
As part of my 5 year corporate experience, I have received two awards for going beyond job responsibilities and three promotions which indicates my professionalism and commitment towards my job responsibilities.

As leadership capabilities, I have led a team of four members and carried out two international projects by directly involving with clients who are sitting in different geographies. This involves intense requirement analysis and providing the best solution as per client needs. Also, I have received numerous client appreciation for the dedication towards delivering emergency deliveries even on holidays.
These client meeting over Skype and WebEx, involves lots and lots of brain storming under heavy pressure for on or before time deliveries.

Because of the habit of taking responsibilities, I have been marked as a critical resource from my project management office.

Now coming to my personal area,
I am a traveler in nature. In my leisure times, I did a lot of road trips in different parts of India. Also, places with historical interests creates curiosity in my mind and I tends to follow them. Exploring different cultures, interacting with people from different regions and knowing their culture has been one of my core interests.
In addition to this, because of this habit of exploring different cultures, I have been learning Spanish language on an mobile app as part time thing.

Other than travelling, I am a big enthusiast for technology. As a gadget freak, I have installed many smart home devices in home which are being operated directly using voice commands through Google Home app.

Also, as a machine lover, I have an intense love for laptops and desktops. I have two laptops and a desktop in my home. I maintain these machines on my own. Maintenance includes, upgrading some component or cleaning dusts in fans and heat sinks.

Other than this, I also have keen interests in space techs. As a fan of Elon Musk, I am amazed with his idea for starting water cycle in Mars. The depth and clear thinking of SpaceX CEO is just inspiring.

These are some in-depth professional and personal sides of my profile.

Please evaluate and let me know.

Thanks,
Sayantan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi sayantanm14,

Thanks for sharing your profile on both Said and Judge's thread.
Your profile clearly showcases that you can thrive under pressure, and have exhibited clear progression within their career. You have also had some international experiences at work, which is essential to exemplify global outlook in order to catch the eyes of adcom at Judge. I can see that you also have an interesting and varied life outside of work. Just make sure that you also focus on examples which bring out innovative and creative side of yours, as that is one of the characteristics that Judge greatly values.

I believe you tick all the boxes that are needed for one to get into Judge. For now, I would suggest get your GMAT out of the way and start building stories from your experience. Do refer to the answer I replied to you on Said's thread to get more perspective about connecting the dots. Alternately, you could also get some ideas from this article we posted today: How to connect the dots for an ideal MBA application.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

sayantanm14 wrote:
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for your kind response.
I would like to go in-depth regarding my professional area.
As part of my 5 year corporate experience, I have received two awards for going beyond job responsibilities and three promotions which indicates my professionalism and commitment towards my job responsibilities.

As leadership capabilities, I have led a team of four members and carried out two international projects by directly involving with clients who are sitting in different geographies. This involves intense requirement analysis and providing the best solution as per client needs. Also, I have received numerous client appreciation for the dedication towards delivering emergency deliveries even on holidays.
These client meeting over Skype and WebEx, involves lots and lots of brain storming under heavy pressure for on or before time deliveries.

Because of the habit of taking responsibilities, I have been marked as a critical resource from my project management office.

Now coming to my personal area,
I am a traveler in nature. In my leisure times, I did a lot of road trips in different parts of India. Also, places with historical interests creates curiosity in my mind and I tends to follow them. Exploring different cultures, interacting with people from different regions and knowing their culture has been one of my core interests.
In addition to this, because of this habit of exploring different cultures, I have been learning Spanish language on an mobile app as part time thing.

Other than travelling, I am a big enthusiast for technology. As a gadget freak, I have installed many smart home devices in home which are being operated directly using voice commands through Google Home app.

Also, as a machine lover, I have an intense love for laptops and desktops. I have two laptops and a desktop in my home. I maintain these machines on my own. Maintenance includes, upgrading some component or cleaning dusts in fans and heat sinks.

Other than this, I also have keen interests in space techs. As a fan of Elon Musk, I am amazed with his idea for starting water cycle in Mars. The depth and clear thinking of SpaceX CEO is just inspiring.

These are some in-depth professional and personal sides of my profile.

Please evaluate and let me know.

Thanks,
Sayantan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for your response.

I know I have to clear the GMAT first.

Regarding, international experience, I haven't been in onshore but worked with direct collaboration with clients sitting in multiple geographies.

Will it affect the application ?

Regards,
Sayantan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sayantanm14,

No it definitely won't. It's a common myth among applicants that you need to step out of the country to showcase international exposure. Your experience of working with clients in different geographies is worthy enough to showcase international exposure. When the schools say that they want to see 'International Experience' in an application, what they really want to see in an applicant is the ability to connect with people from different background/cultures/geographies, which I can evidently see in your profile :)
sayantanm14 wrote:
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for your response.

I know I have to clear the GMAT first.

Regarding, international experience, I haven't been in onshore but worked with direct collaboration with clients sitting in multiple geographies.

Will it affect the application ?

Regards,
Sayantan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.88
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi i need profile evaluation, can you please help

Name: Sarthak Gupta

GMAT score: Not yet attempted, targeting around 710
Graduation: Completed B.Tech (IT) in 2011, 67.0%
Post Graduation: PGPM in Finance- 2013, 7 CGPA
US-CPA certified (equivalent to India's CA)

I am an engineer who holds CA equivalent certificate and have been thoroughly involved in the field of Financial consultiing

Work Experience:
7 years of experience in the field of finance. In 7 years i have achieved 5 promotions.
I have 2 years of working experience with EY,
4 Years with Grant Thornton and currently working with Cohnrezinick LLP as Manager

Below is a brief about my job role:

Preparing and analyzing financial models involving multiple entities, currencies and geographies for providing financial insights.
Performing Financial due diligence and identifying adjustments from statements such as trial balance, audit and internals that impact EBITDA and Working capital.
Interacting with target management after understanding and drafting management questions, trending financial accounts and building various reports such as: CIM, Financial key notes, Financial due diligence report, Valuation report

Skills and accomplishment:
Awarded with Young Tirk (demonstrated entrepreneurial quality) for exceptional client service and converting a client billable from non recurring to recurring basis
Best employee award for Q4 2018
Spot award for best trainer in Q3 2019
Head of South US market
Optimized the Feedback process, aligning with the firm’s growth strategy
Training, mentoring and coaching seniors, associates and analyst on best practices and team integration
Good experience on working Data analytics tools such as Tableau and Altryx, which are demand of the future tools
I was also responsible for setting a new Pursuits service line practice in Grant Thornton (Secondary financial research department), the service line now has been generating revenue on recurring basis.
One of the founding members of Transaction advisory practice in both Grant Thornton and CohnReznick LLP in India

Extra curricular:
Participated in inter school badminton champion ship
2 years consecutively inter college basket ball tournament winner
Member of the student council during Graduation times

Post MBA : Want to work as an Investment or security analyst/consultant in Private Equity, Venture capitalist or Investment banking.
Second option would be transition into the Management consulting role
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sarthaknash90,

I have just evaluated your profile on the Oxford forum and have already given a detailed evaluation. While you apply at Judge, I would advise you to bring out the following in your application:

- A highly motivated and ambitious personality with evidence of career progressions (which will be an easy part for you)
- International experience (which I think you can present since you were/are Head of South US Market) with global outlook
- A confident, creative, and innovative personality
- An interesting and varied life outside work

Other than this, try to connect the dots of how a school will help you achieve your career goals (speak about the school’s values, program, opportunities it may provide). What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story. Feel free to book our calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session

sarthaknash90 wrote:
Hi i need profile evaluation, can you please help

Name: Sarthak Gupta

GMAT score: Not yet attempted, targeting around 710
Graduation: Completed B.Tech (IT) in 2011, 67.0%
Post Graduation: PGPM in Finance- 2013, 7 CGPA
US-CPA certified (equivalent to India's CA)

I am an engineer who holds CA equivalent certificate and have been thoroughly involved in the field of Financial consultiing

Work Experience:
7 years of experience in the field of finance. In 7 years i have achieved 5 promotions.
I have 2 years of working experience with EY,
4 Years with Grant Thornton and currently working with Cohnrezinick LLP as Manager

Below is a brief about my job role:

Preparing and analyzing financial models involving multiple entities, currencies and geographies for providing financial insights.
Performing Financial due diligence and identifying adjustments from statements such as trial balance, audit and internals that impact EBITDA and Working capital.
Interacting with target management after understanding and drafting management questions, trending financial accounts and building various reports such as: CIM, Financial key notes, Financial due diligence report, Valuation report

Skills and accomplishment:
Awarded with Young Tirk (demonstrated entrepreneurial quality) for exceptional client service and converting a client billable from non recurring to recurring basis
Best employee award for Q4 2018
Spot award for best trainer in Q3 2019
Head of South US market
Optimized the Feedback process, aligning with the firm’s growth strategy
Training, mentoring and coaching seniors, associates and analyst on best practices and team integration
Good experience on working Data analytics tools such as Tableau and Altryx, which are demand of the future tools
I was also responsible for setting a new Pursuits service line practice in Grant Thornton (Secondary financial research department), the service line now has been generating revenue on recurring basis.
One of the founding members of Transaction advisory practice in both Grant Thornton and CohnReznick LLP in India

Extra curricular:
Participated in inter school badminton champion ship
2 years consecutively inter college basket ball tournament winner
Member of the student council during Graduation times

Post MBA : Want to work as an Investment or security analyst/consultant in Private Equity, Venture capitalist or Investment banking.
Second option would be transition into the Management consulting role
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi all
I would really appreciate if you could help me understand if I stand a chance of entering LBS MBA

28 years old Indian
Xth: 93%, XIIth: 83%
B.Tech. from National Institute of Technology Allahabad (NIT Allahabad), GPA: 7.2/10 (2010-2014)
MBA from Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (GPA: 2.8/4.33) (2016-2018)
CFA Level 3 cleared

Target schools: LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD, HEC

Work Experience
Analyst, HSBC Investment Banking, India (2018-Present)
Worked with Managing Directors, Directors based in UK in transaction origination and transaction execution. Performed market and sector research for clients and highlighted key activities and trends. Analyzed business models, developed detailed business plan and 3-statement financial models. Hands-on experience with Leveraged Buyout (LBO), Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) and merger model. Prepared pitch books, IMs, RFPs, financial models and did intrinsic and relative valuation.

Closed £8bn of transactions for various global clients. Received recognition multiple times by senior leadership

Worked in London for 3 months to support transactions at advanced stage, coordinated with clients and other banks to close transactions

Samsung Research Institute, India (2014-2016)
Interacted regularly with world’s leading telecom operators to identify key business requirements and coordinated with Product Engineering team to implement them in the solution stack. Provided uninterrupted Service Management to see that all the services are always functional. Closely worked with third party network vendors to ensure seamless delivery of our solution stack

Achievements - Business travel to Taipei to oversee commercialization of Samsung Galaxy S6 for Taiwanese operators

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:

My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited. The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in London for HSBC. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into PE,VC /corporate M&A;

Why I want one now
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility

Awards
Top rated analyst (in the batch of 26 from best B-Schools of the country) at HSBC
National finalist in HSBC's case competition
Authored ‘Why Putin should move on’ for the February issue of IIM Rohtak’s finance magazine ‘FI’
Avid quizzer and chess player

Extra-curricular
Avid traveler, having visited 8 countries.
Passionate about EDM and attended 15+ concerts all across the globe

Application
I will apply during September or October (R1 or R2)
Career goals: Corporate strategy (Tech-focused), Corporate M&A, PE/VC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi all, I hope everyone is safe and well in these tough situations. Could you please evaluate my profile for Judge?

Male, Engineer, Indian, 26

GMAT score: 700 (Q49 + V35)
TOEFL score: 117
Graduation: Mechanical Engineer, First class with distinction (7.97/10 - Absolute grading) from Birla Institute of Technology
Work experience: 5 years (until matriculation) with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) as a technology consultant
Promotions: Delayed until October due to COVID. Also, I want to highlight that PwC only has 6 bands, ranging from consultant to partner
Professional accomplishments: 6 awards (3 individual + 3 team), includes Dazzling Debut (amongst 160 campus recruits)
International work experience: Worked with companies and PwC entities based in US, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Switzerland, Dubai
Job role: I assist clients with supply chain transformations across sectors, primarily textile and agriculture.
Leadership: I lead a team of 5 (technical and business consultants)
Others: I train the new recruits coming in from the campus, I also lead the sales team in the Western region, One of the founding members of the newest competency
Internships: One as a marketing associate at a start-up, the other as a Preventive Maintenance engineer at Volvo India

Extra-curricular:
Runner's up in SAE BAJA India (world's largest amateur level racing event)
Vice-president and treasurer for college club
PADI certified open water scuba diver
Won 20+ inter-college collage competitions
Played volleyball at the district level and in Colombo, Sri Lanka as part of a peace cup
Foster parent for pet cats who require special attention

Short term goals: Move to management consulting
Long term goals: Move into the industry as a possible CxO
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 586 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashutoshc329 wrote:
Hi all, I hope everyone is safe and well in these tough situations. Could you please evaluate my profile for Judge?

Male, Engineer, Indian, 26

GMAT score: 700 (Q49 + V35)
TOEFL score: 117
Graduation: Mechanical Engineer, First class with distinction (7.97/10 - Absolute grading) from Birla Institute of Technology
Work experience: 5 years (until matriculation) with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) as a technology consultant
Promotions: Delayed until October due to COVID. Also, I want to highlight that PwC only has 6 bands, ranging from consultant to partner
Professional accomplishments: 6 awards (3 individual + 3 team), includes Dazzling Debut (amongst 160 campus recruits)
International work experience: Worked with companies and PwC entities based in US, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Switzerland, Dubai
Job role: I assist clients with supply chain transformations across sectors, primarily textile and agriculture.
Leadership: I lead a team of 5 (technical and business consultants)
Others: I train the new recruits coming in from the campus, I also lead the sales team in the Western region, One of the founding members of the newest competency
Internships: One as a marketing associate at a start-up, the other as a Preventive Maintenance engineer at Volvo India

Extra-curricular:
Runner's up in SAE BAJA India (world's largest amateur level racing event)
Vice-president and treasurer for college club
PADI certified open water scuba diver
Won 20+ inter-college collage competitions
Played volleyball at the district level and in Colombo, Sri Lanka as part of a peace cup
Foster parent for pet cats who require special attention

Short term goals: Move to management consulting
Long term goals: Move into the industry as a possible CxO

Hi Ashutosh,

That's a good profile. Your academics are good, but the GMAT is average - nothing to mention a special comment on. The work experience sounds relevant for an MBA admission. While building your application, you will have to emphasize upon the impact your solutions created on your client's businesses- largely because of your abilty to identify problems, provide the right solutions and lead the implementation (if you were doing that). Work experience with clients from different countries can help you showcase that you understand cultural nuances and their impact on business while also understanding the needs of clients with different problems- these skills are important for a consultant. In terms of goals, I see a clear path- ofcourse how you execute your story and connect all the dots to show that a path upto the CXO level is the right one for you, will be crucial for a positive application outcome.

Your ECAs are more during college and I don't see anything substantial in your working life. Being a foster parent to cats sounds like a hobby, and not a mission to provide destitute cats shelter. So its likely to have minimum impact as an ECA. More of an interview ice breaker perhaps.

Reach out if you need help with your application- I'd be happy to tell you how we can help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Requesting a profile review

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q166 V160
Send PM
MBA Info

Why I want an MBA: Short term goal is to transition into consulting (MBB or T2) where I'd learn how to formulate strategies and implement them in a business context. Long term, the learnings, prestige, and network of a good MBA would prove invaluable for when I either get into entrepreneurship on my own, or join the family business.

Why I want one now: I want to leave my current job and transition into consulting. Also, I'm somewhat burnt out and so I want a vacation lol.

Target schools: LBS and Oxbridge

Background

Work experience: Slightly above 4 years at matriculation (so just 3 years right now). I'm currently an equity research analyst in a lower-tier MM investment bank's office in my home country (located in South East Asia). (Yeah I'm not exactly a stock broker since that applies more to S&T, but I had to put something in the title of this post). The bank isn't really a well known brand, but it has a global presence (with a focus on Asia however in terms of investment banking activities). I cover a specific sector and have some international experience doing marketing/business trips (all in Asia though). I also jumpstarted and now handle the local internship program of this bank. Before this role, I had a summer analyst stint at a BB's ER and S&T divisions (also in SEA). My family also runs a business (~500 employees) and although I am not formally employed in it, I do help out whenever I can (ex. I help out in some recruitment activities, managing a fixed-income fund with private bankers, and doing the initial contacting of possible clients/business partners).

Extra curriculars and other experience: A little weak on this end. Haven't really done any formal ECs post undergrad. I do help out in my family's rather informal charity event, but this happens just once a year.

Undergrad school/major: Business Management (but I took a lot of quant classes) in a T2 uni in my country but it doesn't rank well globally.

Other education/coursework: Took a finance summer course in a top uni in the UK.

Race/nationality: East Asian/South East Asian ethnicity, citizen of a South East Asian country

Age and Sex: 24 male (I'd be 25 at matriculation)

Stats

GMAT Score: Took the GRE and (unofficially) scored a 326 (160V, 166Q). It converts to a 700 GMAT. Not sure about AWA but I would get my score on that portion soon (I'm expecting a 5-6). Should I do a retake? My score is at or above the average of all of the programs I'm targeting which disclose their average GREs and my tentative top choices say that they do not have a preference for one test over the other. (LBS does not announce its average GRE, but its average GMAT score is a 701. I guess I'm /slightly/ below average here when doing a straight-forward conversion.)

Undergrad GPA: 3.6x/4.0. Side note: My GPA looks unimpressive but my uni doesn't inflate grades, so I actually graduated at the 95th percentile in terms of GPA. How do I let adcom know about this?

Others: I speak 3 languages fluently (including English) if that matters, and have elementary fluency in one other language.

Concerns: I'd matriculate at 25 with 4 years of WE, but I'm applying to programs whose students (on average) matriculate at 28-29 with 5-5.5 years of WE. Will this be an issue? Also, the relative lack of ECs, and a decent but not amazing GRE score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 606
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GRE 1: Q166 V167

GRE 2: Q166 V167
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Hello GMAT Club Community,

Wanted some advice on my profile and if the schools I am considering are realistic or not:

27 year old (while matriculating) Indian Male (NON-ENGINEER).

GMAT: 710 (Q47, V41)

Education:
10th: 90%
12th: 86.5% (Humanities)

Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Bachelor's in Media & Communication from Symbiosis Intl. University (#1 Ranked program in the country)
Specialization: Advertising.

Work Ex: 4 years, 8 months at the time of joining.
Year 0-2: Worked as a copywriter & creative strategist at a digital advertising firm in Mumbai
Highlights -
- Successfully launched the first advertising campaign for the official Swedish Tourism board in India.
- Successfully set up and launched a leading health insurance brand in India online.
- Won the coveted Abby Awards for Creativity & Innovation (Indian equivalent of Cannes) twice.
- Won multiple clients through pitches, contributing significantly to company revenue.

Year 2-3
- Pivoted from a creative to an analytical role, starting as a Business Analyst at a leading ad-tech & performance marketing firm in India (Merkle Sokrati)
- Got promoted in 7 months, handled spends worth $200k a month, across verticals such as E-commerce, OTT, FinTech & BFSI.
- Mentored 3-4 different people with successful results.
- Won multiple clients through pitches, contributing significantly to company revenue.

Year 3 - present

- Shifted to a Growth & Marketing (Designation: Performance Marketing Manager) role at one of India's fastest-growing FinTech startups (valued at $300 million in less than 2 years)
- The company provides financial management softwares to SMBs across India completely free of cost.

Extra-Curricular & Community
- 2 2-month Internships at NGOs (Teach for India & Door Step School)
- Sports Captain in school & college, representing both at school & district levels.

Post-MBA Goals:
Strategy Consulting.
Throughout my varied roles so far, I have served clients across levels in different capacities, with highly successful results (can get stellar recommendations from them)
With my experience as a creative strategist + analyst, I bring a balanced combination of creativity & analytics, and I feel i would be well-suited to a consulting role.

I have 12 months before submitting my application. Would love to hear about my chances of getting an admit at Fuqua (I am open to applying in Early action), or how I could bolster my application (particularly the quant aspect) in this period.

Would an HBS CORe course help here?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Judge, Said, and Bocconi Moderator
105 posts