GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Part time MBA profile eval?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Part time MBA profile eval?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 21:00
Hey all, I am in need of advice on how to reconcile a spotty academic record with a solid gmat and work exp. I REALLY want to get accepted into NYU Stern Langone part time and am considering applying to CUNY Zicklin and Fordham Gabelli as backups. Also considering a couple online prgms (IUB Kelley and UNC Kenan Flagler) so would love some advice. Please see below for my stats:

-White guy
-Currently working in digital marketing...my entire career has been exclusively in major ad agencies on major automotive, entertainment and technology brands
-7 years of increasingly responsible work experience, I've now just barely made director level
-with my MBA I ostensibly would want to be a marketing director at a major company but candidly I could also see myself switching careers as I am interested in other clusters like finance and corp real estate
-I identify as LGBT (not sure if this is something they would care about re: diversity, but let me know if adcoms would take interest in me bringing this up)
-GMAT: 710 (48q/40v), 7 IR, havent gotten AWA back yet
-undergrad major: Spanish
-undergrad GPA: 2.96

The big dark spot is my undergrad GPA and overall undergrad performance. I did go thru a not so great adjustment to being a gay guy during college and just an adult in general so my grades suffered. I was on academic probation once and got my act together sophomore and junior year, but then kind of fell off again senior year because I hated it and just wanted to be done.

I did go to community college part time about 5 years ago as I was thinking about going back for a second bachelor's in STEM stuff so was taking loads of math and science...my GPA across 3 semesters of that was 3.5 so should I turn those grades in as well to show a more positive track record even tho I didn't finish?

Overall just need to get strategy ideas on how to distance myself from how much of a knuckle head I was in college and how I'm mature and ready to handle the course work now.

Also open to hearing any other suggestions you might have about school choice. Note that I live in NYC and am not willing to quit my job or relocate.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my LG-H830 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Part time MBA profile eval?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 15:16
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have a bit of distance from your GPA so it won’t be a strength but it should not completely derail your application even at a school like Langone. Good PTMBA GMAT with work experience that includes increasing responsibilities and promotions. I would certainly highlight your LGBTQ status. Schools def consider that as diversity especially for someone like you who has had it influence your personal and professional life. So i would go for it with the schools listed. I think you can be competitive with a good application

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 1
Premium Member
Re: Part time MBA profile eval?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 11:55
hello,

I know a bunch who got into Stern part-time. I got in too.

Your profile is very good. You will definitely get in. Just dump your backups and spend more time on stern application.

Look at https://gmatclub.com/forum/nyu-stern-pt ... 59398.html. you will understand why i say so
Re: Part time MBA profile eval? &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 11:55

Part time MBA profile eval?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap