Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1579 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
chet719 wrote:
Paul,

I couldn't help asking a follow up question after reading this post. I am in a similar situation as joemama--applying this fall and have an opportunity to take another job. However, the job is a promotion within the same company (USAF finance), and the job is in a very high profile position (top secret); it is located in a "special programs" office where we finance the procurement of some major weapon and intelligence systems. There would be a lot of opportunity to lead teams and work with large dollar, interesting projects. The job would be a great career move as well, and more importantly, progresses in the direction I want to go after B-School. Do you still think in this case it would be a bad idea to make the move?

Thanks,

Chet

Chet,

Your situation actually seems different than "joemama"'s. Your new opportunity sounds very promising, so I see no reason to pass up on it. It can only strengthen your profile. In terms of its value to your B-school essays, that will depend on whether you can make an impact in the new position between now and the fall. Probably you will have some material you can talk about.

The other issue is asking your supervisor in your new position for a reco letter. You will probably not have been in the new position long enough for that person to comment helpfully on your impact. But in this case, it would be fine to just submit reco letters from previous employers--the B-schools will understand.

Good luck in the new position,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great! Thank you for your quick response.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask a follow up question. I am turning 30 yrs old this Dec (i.e. crossing into the "older" realm for B-School). My question for you is, do you think it would harm my candidacy if I waited until 07 to apply to B-School. That means I would be almost 34 by the time I graduate. I think the additional experience would help me in my placement after B-School as well as my long term career goals. However, I don't want to kill my chances at getting into a top program either.

Also, if I wait, I may be able to get the Air Force to pay for my education as well as my salary while in B-School. I know its hard to believe, but they have career development programs that provide for this. Of course, it is a selective program and I would have to compete for this opportunity.

Anyway, some of the schools I am considering are: HBS, Wharton, Columbia, Michigan, Tuck, and Yale.

You may be wondering what my career goals are. In the short run, I would like to get experience working on the acquisition side of the military (i.e. learn the complex processes, regulations, etc. of procuring military assets). At some point in the future, I would like to take a leadership role at a large defense contractor such as Lockheed Martin or Northrup Grumman, working with the military to develop and sustain its assets. This may be too much information.

Thanks again for your comments.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1579 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks paul for your advice. I had a feeling but more gmat was not what i wanted to hear. :boom
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
chet719 wrote:
Great! Thank you for your quick response.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask a follow up question. I am turning 30 yrs old this Dec (i.e. crossing into the "older" realm for B-School). My question for you is, do you think it would harm my candidacy if I waited until 07 to apply to B-School. That means I would be almost 34 by the time I graduate. I think the additional experience would help me in my placement after B-School as well as my long term career goals. However, I don't want to kill my chances at getting into a top program either.

Also, if I wait, I may be able to get the Air Force to pay for my education as well as my salary while in B-School. I know its hard to believe, but they have career development programs that provide for this. Of course, it is a selective program and I would have to compete for this opportunity.

Anyway, some of the schools I am considering are: HBS, Wharton, Columbia, Michigan, Tuck, and Yale.

You may be wondering what my career goals are. In the short run, I would like to get experience working on the acquisition side of the military (i.e. learn the complex processes, regulations, etc. of procuring military assets). At some point in the future, I would like to take a leadership role at a large defense contractor such as Lockheed Martin or Northrup Grumman, working with the military to develop and sustain its assets. This may be too much information.

Thanks again for your comments.

chet719,

You give very good reasons for wanting to wait until 2007 to apply, so I think you should wait. It sounds like you will be 32 when you will apply, which is on the upper edge of the middle 80% of every school you mentioned (except CBS, where it's 31). (Note that the upper edge of Tuck's middle 80% is 34.) So you will hardly be a statistical outlier.

Moreover, you sound like you will be gathering excellent material to generate some compelling essays. The more dazzling that material, the less schools will care about your age. You have an unusual career track, which helps you, and specific post-MBA goals, which is what they expect of older applicants.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Thank you very much for your comments.

joemamma,

Sorry for taking up your thread.
MBA Admissions Consultant