Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pappu wrote:
Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will shortlist the list of schools based on your suggestions and will also work on highlighting my experience/credentials in my essays.

I'd a question regarding recommendations - I'm thinking of getting one letter from my current boss and one from my former director who I'd worked with. Does this sound good? Also, I am planning to explore new job opportunities in the next couple of months. Do I have to take recommendations from the boss (whoever it may be) at the time of application submission? I want to make sure that the recommendations are very effective.

Thanks,
pappu

Yes, asking your current and former manager is the good, safe, even ideal choice. Schools prefer reco letters from current direct supervisors but that doesn't mean you have to or should submit one if you just started working with the recommender or aren't sure whether they will be enthusiastic. Schools understand that previous supervisors sometimes are the more logical choice for candidates in new jobs.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Paul!

I just received my AWA score - it's a 6.0. Does this strenghten/help my application package for my target schools given my verbal score (32-67%)? I'd like to make sure that verbal score (given that it is less than 80%) is not seen in a negative light.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pappu wrote:
Thanks Paul!

I just received my AWA score - it's a 6.0. Does this strenghten/help my application package for my target schools given my verbal score (32-67%)? I'd like to make sure that verbal score (given that it is less than 80%) is not seen in a negative light.

Pappu,

Yes, absolutely it does. Strongly written essays and specific comments from your recommenders on your communication skills will also help to compensate for the verbal score.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Transcripts [#permalink]
Hi Paul,

I have a question regarding undergraduate transcripts. I have completed my Masters (MS in Electrical and Computer Engg) from a US university and can have my transcripts sent to all the schools that I'm applying to.

I have the originals for my undergraduate transcripts and degree certificates. Can I send photocopies of my undergraduate degree?

Would send the transcripts for MS be sufficient to meet requirements? Another data point that might be helpful - I'm a permanent resident.

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Transcripts [#permalink]
pappu wrote:
Hi Paul,

I have a question regarding undergraduate transcripts. I have completed my Masters (MS in Electrical and Computer Engg) from a US university and can have my transcripts sent to all the schools that I'm applying to.

I have the originals for my undergraduate transcripts and degree certificates. Can I send photocopies of my undergraduate degree?

Would send the transcripts for MS be sufficient to meet requirements? Another data point that might be helpful - I'm a permanent resident.

Thanks!

Pappu,

My understanding is that schools want certified copies of transcripts sent directly from the school to avoid any funny business. But you might check with your schools to see if your originals are OK with them.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

A quick update - I'm considering applying to Emory and Babson. What do your thoughts about these schools (or any other schools that seem to be "safety" based on my profile)? Given my IT background and that I don't plan to switch career (continue on a management track in an IT org but in a different functional role in any industry), how do you rate my chances?

I really appreciate your advice/thoughts. Thanks in advance.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pappu wrote:
Hi Paul,

A quick update - I'm considering applying to Emory and Babson. What do your thoughts about these schools (or any other schools that seem to be "safety" based on my profile)? Given my IT background and that I don't plan to switch career (continue on a management track in an IT org but in a different functional role in any industry), how do you rate my chances?

I really appreciate your advice/thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Pappu,

Your chances at Emory at decent. Your chances at Babson are good.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]