GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     January 20, 2019

     January 20, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     07:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Please help solve this inequality

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Please help solve this inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 02:09
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hi All,

This may seem like a very stupid question, but I'll post anyways since I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have been taught to solve equations such as: x^2 = 1 as such:
x^2 = 1
x^2 - 1 = 0
(x-1)(x+1) = 0
x=1 or -1

This method works for all quadratics, and is probably the quickest way to solve them.

Why is it that when we suddenly take out the "=" and replace it with either an > or < this method falls apart?

e.g.
x^2 < 1
x^2 - 1 < 0
(x-1)(x+1) < 0

x - 1 < 0 ---> x < 1 (which is correct)
but
x + 1 < 0 ---> x < -1 (which is incorrect, should be x > -1)

solution should be: -1 < x < 1

I am aware of the wavy line method and graphical method to solve inequalities, but I'd really appreciate if someone could explain why the method outline above fails to work in these situations. I hypothesize that this method does not work because of having to consider that x could be positive or negative (much like the way absolute value equations are solved), but nonetheless, I await help from experts.

Thanks in advance.

P.S., this question actually came from a DS question:

Is |x| < 1?

1) x^2 < 1
2) |x| < 1/x

obviously, in this scenario, it is easy to see that x^2 = |x| and thus statement 1 is sufficient (and so is 2 btw). But after answering the question, I went back and played around with statement 1 and then came up with this problem.

edit: I think I may have posted this in the wrong place. If so, moderators could you please move to the appropriate section?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Location: India
GMAT 1: 540 Q44 V21
Please help solve this inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 03:08
Hi PierTotti17,

I am not an expert but can I request you to go through Bunuel 's take on this chapter?
https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-absolut ... 86462.html

Also, this article https://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-mod ... l#p1622372 by chetan2u might also interest you. (<---- critical method here might help you)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7202
Re: Please help solve this inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 04:02
PierTotti17 wrote:
Hi All,

This may seem like a very stupid question, but I'll post anyways since I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have been taught to solve equations such as: x^2 = 1 as such:
x^2 = 1
x^2 - 1 = 0
(x-1)(x+1) = 0
x=1 or -1

This method works for all quadratics, and is probably the quickest way to solve them.

Why is it that when we suddenly take out the "=" and replace it with either an > or < this method falls apart?

e.g.
x^2 < 1
x^2 - 1 < 0
(x-1)(x+1) < 0

x - 1 < 0 ---> x < 1 (which is correct)
but
x + 1 < 0 ---> x < -1 (which is incorrect, should be x > -1)

solution should be: -1 < x < 1

I am aware of the wavy line method and graphical method to solve inequalities, but I'd really appreciate if someone could explain why the method outline above fails to work in these situations. I hypothesize that this method does not work because of having to consider that x could be positive or negative (much like the way absolute value equations are solved), but nonetheless, I await help from experts.

Thanks in advance.

P.S., this question actually came from a DS question:

Is |x| < 1?

1) x^2 < 1
2) |x| < 1/x

obviously, in this scenario, it is easy to see that x^2 = |x| and thus statement 1 is sufficient (and so is 2 btw). But after answering the question, I went back and played around with statement 1 and then came up with this problem.

edit: I think I may have posted this in the wrong place. If so, moderators could you please move to the appropriate section?


Hi..

Why the below doesn't work..
x - 1 < 0 ---> x < 1 (which is correct)
but
x + 1 < 0 ---> x < -1 (which is incorrect, should be x > -1)

So you have (x-1)(X+1)<0... So the product of x-1 and X+1 is less than 0.
THIS will happen if one is positive and other negative..
1) say x-1>0, then X+1<0..
x-1>0 means X>1.. and X+1<0 means X<-1..
There is no overlap in the region...we had taken X >1, so it cannot be <-1.
Hence eliminate this option.

2) x-1<0 or X<1, then X+1>0..X>-1..
So combined -1<X<1..
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Please help solve this inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 04:20
chetan2u wrote:
PierTotti17 wrote:
Hi All,

This may seem like a very stupid question, but I'll post anyways since I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have been taught to solve equations such as: x^2 = 1 as such:
x^2 = 1
x^2 - 1 = 0
(x-1)(x+1) = 0
x=1 or -1

This method works for all quadratics, and is probably the quickest way to solve them.

Why is it that when we suddenly take out the "=" and replace it with either an > or < this method falls apart?

e.g.
x^2 < 1
x^2 - 1 < 0
(x-1)(x+1) < 0

x - 1 < 0 ---> x < 1 (which is correct)
but
x + 1 < 0 ---> x < -1 (which is incorrect, should be x > -1)

solution should be: -1 < x < 1

I am aware of the wavy line method and graphical method to solve inequalities, but I'd really appreciate if someone could explain why the method outline above fails to work in these situations. I hypothesize that this method does not work because of having to consider that x could be positive or negative (much like the way absolute value equations are solved), but nonetheless, I await help from experts.

Thanks in advance.

P.S., this question actually came from a DS question:

Is |x| < 1?

1) x^2 < 1
2) |x| < 1/x

obviously, in this scenario, it is easy to see that x^2 = |x| and thus statement 1 is sufficient (and so is 2 btw). But after answering the question, I went back and played around with statement 1 and then came up with this problem.

edit: I think I may have posted this in the wrong place. If so, moderators could you please move to the appropriate section?


Hi..

Why the below doesn't work..
x - 1 < 0 ---> x < 1 (which is correct)
but
x + 1 < 0 ---> x < -1 (which is incorrect, should be x > -1)

So you have (x-1)(X+1)<0... So the product of x-1 and X+1 is less than 0.
THIS will happen if one is positive and other negative..
1) say x-1>0, then X+1<0..
x-1>0 means X>1.. and X+1<0 means X<-1..
There is no overlap in the region...we had taken X >1, so it cannot be <-1.
Hence eliminate this option.

2) x-1<0 or X<1, then X+1>0..X>-1..
So combined -1<X<1..


Thank you very much Chetan. I suspected that this was the case. It is frustrating that we cannot set each expression inside the brackets to < or > than 0 like we do with regular equations.
Had the question been:

x^2 > 1

would the approach still be valid?
i.e. the solutions to x^2 > 1 is the opposite, either x > 1 or x < -1.

x^2-1 > 0
(x-1)(x+1) > 0

hence both positive or both negative

say x-1 is negative and x+1 is also negative. Then:

x-1 < 0
x<1 (wrong)
and
x+1<0
x<-1 (right)

or both are positive

x-1>0
x>1 (right)
and
x+1>0
x>-1 (wrong)

now do we combine these sets to get the combined range?

Thanks again
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7202
Re: Please help solve this inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 04:58
PierTotti17 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
PierTotti17 wrote:
Hi All,

This may seem like a very stupid question, but I'll post anyways since I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have been taught to solve equations such as: x^2 = 1 as such:
x^2 = 1
x^2 - 1 = 0
(x-1)(x+1) = 0
x=1 or -1

This method works for all quadratics, and is probably the quickest way to solve them.

Why is it that when we suddenly take out the "=" and replace it with either an > or < this method falls apart?

e.g.
x^2 < 1
x^2 - 1 < 0
(x-1)(x+1) < 0

x - 1 < 0 ---> x < 1 (which is correct)
but
x + 1 < 0 ---> x < -1 (which is incorrect, should be x > -1)

solution should be: -1 < x < 1

I am aware of the wavy line method and graphical method to solve inequalities, but I'd really appreciate if someone could explain why the method outline above fails to work in these situations. I hypothesize that this method does not work because of having to consider that x could be positive or negative (much like the way absolute value equations are solved), but nonetheless, I await help from experts.

Thanks in advance.

P.S., this question actually came from a DS question:

Is |x| < 1?

1) x^2 < 1
2) |x| < 1/x

obviously, in this scenario, it is easy to see that x^2 = |x| and thus statement 1 is sufficient (and so is 2 btw). But after answering the question, I went back and played around with statement 1 and then came up with this problem.

edit: I think I may have posted this in the wrong place. If so, moderators could you please move to the appropriate section?


Hi..

Why the below doesn't work..
x - 1 < 0 ---> x < 1 (which is correct)
but
x + 1 < 0 ---> x < -1 (which is incorrect, should be x > -1)

So you have (x-1)(X+1)<0... So the product of x-1 and X+1 is less than 0.
THIS will happen if one is positive and other negative..
1) say x-1>0, then X+1<0..
x-1>0 means X>1.. and X+1<0 means X<-1..
There is no overlap in the region...we had taken X >1, so it cannot be <-1.
Hence eliminate this option.

2) x-1<0 or X<1, then X+1>0..X>-1..
So combined -1<X<1..


Thank you very much Chetan. I suspected that this was the case. It is frustrating that we cannot set each expression inside the brackets to < or > than 0 like we do with regular equations.
Had the question been:

x^2 > 1

would the approach still be valid?
i.e. the solutions to x^2 > 1 is the opposite, either x > 1 or x < -1.

x^2-1 > 0
(x-1)(x+1) > 0

hence both positive or both negative

say x-1 is negative and x+1 is also negative. Then:

x-1 < 0
x<1 (wrong)
and
x+1<0
x<-1 (right)

or both are positive

x-1>0
x>1 (right)
and
x+1>0
x>-1 (wrong)

now do we combine these sets to get the combined range?

Thanks again


Yes..
Others simply \(x^2<1... Means ....|X|<1....-1<X<1\)
And \(x^2>1...|X|>1...X<-1 .. and...X>1\)
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Re: Please help solve this inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 05:08
Great, thank you for the insight and for the prompt replies Chetan!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help solve this inequality &nbs [#permalink] 30 Dec 2018, 05:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Please help solve this inequality

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.