GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please help suggesting some resources!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Please help suggesting some resources!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 04:41
Hi all

I recently gave my GMAT and scored 600 (Q 42 V 31). Obviously, not happy and highly disappointed. I prepared for 3 months and this is where I landed. I am planning to give my second attempt in a month and thus need help devising strategy as to how I can improve my score? I was run out of time in all my sections and have at least left 6 questions unattended.

My background -- I have mass communication background and studied journalism and mass communication during both my graduation and PG. I have been working for 8 years and now want to move to marketing and that's why GMAT.

Please help me suggesting some good resources for both Quant and Verbal sections.

Thanks so much!

Regards
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Please help suggesting some resources!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 10:47
Hi Shwetastar2003,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

2) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day for the last 3 months? What resources did you use?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

6) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 10:56
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Shwetastar2003,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

I never gave a full practice test with all 4 sections. I just took free tests from GmatClub and 2 paper based tests from my institute.

2) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day for the last 3 months? What resources did you use?

I have a 2 yr old kid. So, I was not very consistent with number of hours. But last 1 month i was dedicating almost 3 hours every day.

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

Dedlines are mostly at the end of Sept or Oct. I want to persue full time MBA 1 yr course in Singapore.

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

I have time till Oct. I am planning yo take on 20th sept.

5) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

4-5 hours

6) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

I was pretty nervous frankly. And couldn’t attempt at least 6 -7 question as I was running out of time. I was like either its going to be very good, or very bad. I didn’t know where I stood...
Manager
Manager
S
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 12:38
First of all get your enhanced report for Gmat test which you gave.....!! It you give you a good reference point to start your focus on.
Your both quant and verbal are weak focus on the in which you were scoring better in practicing tests
If you focus on the better one it will give you confidence to work on the other part as well.
Try gmat club test the score i got 640 was identical to what score i was getting on the gmat club tests...!!!!
meanwhile keep on practicing questions in the 550-650 range from the gmatclub try to do mostly from GMAt official resources.
Make a list of all getting wrong esp the area and what caused the mistake (error log)

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 14:07
Hi Shwetastar2003,

Based on this Score, you have the opportunity to pick up some serious points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What practice materials have you used so far? Did you take either of the 2 free CATs from www.mba.com?
2) What is your Score Goal?
3) If you do not score higher on your retake, would you apply with this 600 or would you push back your plans and apply for a later Application Round?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 17:01
aim730 wrote:
First of all get your enhanced report for Gmat test which you gave.....!! It you give you a good reference point to start your focus on.
Your both quant and verbal are weak focus on the in which you were scoring better in practicing tests
If you focus on the better one it will give you confidence to work on the other part as well.
Try gmat club test the score i got 640 was identical to what score i was getting on the gmat club tests...!!!!
meanwhile keep on practicing questions in the 550-650 range from the gmatclub try to do mostly from GMAt official resources.
Make a list of all getting wrong esp the area and what caused the mistake (error log)

Hi thanks for the revert

The surprising part is i was practising 600 above level questions and got all of them correct. And my verbal was aao coming pretty good. I don’t know what went wrong?

Can you suggest if Manhattan GMAT resources will help me? I have done OG. What other resources other than practice tests I can get to improve my score?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 17:06
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Shwetastar2003,

Based on this Score, you have the opportunity to pick up some serious points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What practice materials have you used so far? Did you take either of the 2 free CATs from http://www.mba.com?
3) If you do not score higher on your retake, would you apply with this 600 or would you push back your plans and apply for a later Application Round?

Rich

1) What practice materials have you used so far? Did you take either of the 2 free CATs from http://www.mba.com?
No. I did not take these tests. But I took the one that my institute offered and I scored 690. And I used OG as my main guide. I had materials from my institute as well and I used GmatClub mostly for quant and practised all their 600 above level questions and getting mostly correct. So I don’t know what wrnt wrong. The questions I got there, were little different than what I was practising from GMAT club.
Somewhere near 720. But I am good with 700 as well.
I would apply. Would take chance as I have a different background. But I know its not a good score at all. Knowing that I left 6-7 questions unattended, I think I will score better the next time.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 13:41
Hi Shwetastar2003,

To start, any question that you do NOT answer on Test Day is 'penalized' - and the penalty is WORSE than if you had just answered the question wrong. Thus, you could have potentially lost a big chunk of points on the GMAT based on the specifics of your situation. By extension, as you continue to study, you MUST make sure to answer every question on each Test - even if you are just taking a guess.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. Since you never took any practice CAT Exams, you never properly defined your actual 'ability level.' There's a BIG difference between working on quizzes or 'sets' of practice problems and working on a FULL, adaptive GMAT taken in a Testing Facility. Now that you've taken the Official GMAT, you know exactly what Test Day 'involves', so you train to mimic those conditions during this next phase of your studies.

Raising a 600 to a 720+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. With a September 20th Test Date, you have less than 5 weeks of study time remaining, so you might be a limit to how much you can improve in that time. This is meant to say that you would probably benefit by pushing back your Test Date (even if it's just for a couple of weeks). Based on your Official Score, you likely know the content of the GMAT well enough, so you should be focused now on practicing Tactics and learning the patterns and little 'secrets' to the Exam.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 22:20
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Shwetastar2003,

To start, any question that you do NOT answer on Test Day is 'penalized' - and the penalty is WORSE than if you had just answered the question wrong. Thus, you could have potentially lost a big chunk of points on the GMAT based on the specifics of your situation. By extension, as you continue to study, you MUST make sure to answer every question on each Test - even if you are just taking a guess.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. Since you never took any practice CAT Exams, you never properly defined your actual 'ability level.' There's a BIG difference between working on quizzes or 'sets' of practice problems and working on a FULL, adaptive GMAT taken in a Testing Facility. Now that you've taken the Official GMAT, you know exactly what Test Day 'involves', so you train to mimic those conditions during this next phase of your studies.

Raising a 600 to a 720+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. With a September 20th Test Date, you have less than 5 weeks of study time remaining, so you might be a limit to how much you can improve in that time. This is meant to say that you would probably benefit by pushing back your Test Date (even if it's just for a couple of weeks). Based on your Official Score, you likely know the content of the GMAT well enough, so you should be focused now on practicing Tactics and learning the patterns and little 'secrets' to the Exam.

Rich

Thanks so much for the revert. This certainly boosts my confidence. It will be of great help if you can provide me some links that I can refer to?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 11:50
Hi Shwetastar2003,

I want to reiterate that your current Test Date will likely NOT give you enough time to properly train to hit your Score Goal. You would have a much better chance of earning that 700+ Score if you had closer to 2 months of study time.

Based on everything that you’ve described - and the opportunities that you have to pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, but even if you did not complete the entire Study Plan you would still likely score well above this 600. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 05:28
Hi Shwetastar2003,

I am sorry to hear that your scores were not in line with your expectations in GMAT. It is good to see that you are back in the game and ready to work on achieving your target score. While reviewing the various options for courses that you have, you must look at the following factors:
    1. Will the course work for you? Look at the free trial resources of various courses out there and evaluate their teaching methodologies. Choose the one which suits your needs.
    2. Is the course proven to deliver success to students like you? – Look at the reviews of courses out there and see what others have to say and then decide.

EXPERIENCE THE e-GMAT FREE TRIAL

I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material with you which can help you evaluate our course better. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard.

Check out our Video concept files

• Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson
• Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of a RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

Attend Free GMAT Strategy Webinar this weekend

We are conducting a free GMAT Strategy webinars this weekend. Register now to reserve your spot and learn how to create a personalized strategy to ace GMAT.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 07:25
Okay. I will look at it and i will look at the free resources also. i dont have 2 months though as the applications for universities I am planning to apply are gonna start soon. But will try to squeeze my time and get it worked. Would get back to you if I have a hard time sorting it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciate :)

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Shwetastar2003,

I want to reiterate that your current Test Date will likely NOT give you enough time to properly train to hit your Score Goal. You would have a much better chance of earning that 700+ Score if you had closer to 2 months of study time.

Based on everything that you’ve described - and the opportunities that you have to pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, but even if you did not complete the entire Study Plan you would still likely score well above this 600. We have a variety of free resources on our site (http://www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 07:29
Thank you for sharing these resources. I will look at them and evaluate if these suit me. This certainly gives me a head-start and I hope I could use it to the best of the purpose. Much appreciate your time. Thanks & Regards.

egmat wrote:
Hi Shwetastar2003,

I am sorry to hear that your scores were not in line with your expectations in GMAT. It is good to see that you are back in the game and ready to work on achieving your target score. While reviewing the various options for courses that you have, you must look at the following factors:
    1. Will the course work for you? Look at the free trial resources of various courses out there and evaluate their teaching methodologies. Choose the one which suits your needs.
    2. Is the course proven to deliver success to students like you? – Look at the reviews of courses out there and see what others have to say and then decide.

EXPERIENCE THE e-GMAT FREE TRIAL

I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material with you which can help you evaluate our course better. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard.

Check out our Video concept files

• Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson
• Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of a RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

Attend Free GMAT Strategy Webinar this weekend

We are conducting a free GMAT Strategy webinars this weekend. Register now to reserve your spot and learn how to create a personalized strategy to ace GMAT.

Regards,
Aditee
Re: Please help suggesting some resources!! &nbs [#permalink] 21 Aug 2018, 07:29

Please help suggesting some resources!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap